Starcke Park
Starcke Park


All pictures were sent by Sarah Reveley

Prepared for the web site by Wanda Qualls

Starke

Plaque 1  Plaque 2  Plaque 3
Max Starcke Park
Seguin, Texas
Built for the wholesome pleasure of this and future generations by the united efforts of a civic minded and community loving people.  Completed and dedicated in this our centennial year A. D. 1838 by the City of Seguin and Works Progress Administration
Sponsor Groups
American Legion, H. U. Wood Post No. 245
American Legion Auxiliary
Amity Lodge No 60, 100F
Austin Street Methodist Church
Boy Scouts of America
E. P. O. E. Seguin Lodge No 1229
Business & Professional Women's Club
Chamber of Commerce, Seguin & Guadalupe Co.
Chamber of Commerce Young Men's Division
Council of Jewish Women
Cross Evangelical Church
Emanuel's lutheran Church
Federated Women's Club
First Baptist Church
First Methodist Church
Guadalupe County Fair Association
Guadalupe County Medical Society
Junior Shakespeare Club
Lilltel Symphony Society
Mistletoe Club
Order of Eastern Star, Chapter No. 555
Order of Herman Sons
Parent Teachers City Council
Mary B. Erskine PTA
Jefferson Avenue PTA
Seguin High School PTA
Seguin Choral Club
Seguin Delphian Club
Seguin Fire Department
Seguin Presbyterian Church
Seguin Rebekah Lodge No. 291
Seguin Rotary Club
Seguin Softball League
St. Andres Episcopal Church
St. James Catholic Church
Young Democratic Club
Max Starcke Park
Seguin, Texas
Built for the wholsesome pleasure of this and future generations by the United Efforts of a civic minded and community loving people completed and dedicated in this, our centennial year A. D. 1938, by the  City of Seguin and works progress Administration.
Special Fund Donors
H. F. Ander--C. F. Kieffer--A.
C. E. Baer--Bert J. Keller--H. C. Schmitt
D.D. Baker--F. E. Knetsch--E. F. Schuessler
W. E. Datson--W. E. Koepsel--Mrs. ? Schumann
A.? Baughmann--W. E. Kr? --J. Seligmann
Theo. Bendt--Ed Dannom--US Gas Corp.
C. A. Blumberg--George Levy--H. R. Starcke
D. C. Blumberg--:A. Web?--Mark Starcke
O. L. Blumberg--L. C. Biston--E. E. Strauss
W. J. Blumberg--W. E. Lovett--E. A. Tapp

(Please note I will have to visit the park to get these names because they are hard to read from the picture)
Max Starcke Park
Seguin, Texas
Built for the wholsesome pleasure of this and future generations by the United Efforts of a civic minded and community loving people completed and dedicated in this, our centennial year A. D. 1938, by the  City of Seguin and works progress Administration.
City Officials
Mayor
Max Starcke
Eldermen
B. F. Burgfrede         A. W. Mays
W. M. Bryan            Roger W. Moore
Louis Elder               A. J. Traeger
H. A. Ernst               Roy R. Voges
Departmental Heads
Bettie Harrington -- Secretary
Arno Brewstedt -- Assessor Collector
R. N. Burges -- Treasurer
??? -- Attorney
W. T. Bergfeld -- Marshall
W. ? Miles -- Manager of  ??
A ? -- Chief Fire Department

  (Note:  Will need to check this too.)

Markers

marker 1       Starcke 2       starcke                                  
Saffold Dam
   Named for  William Saffold, who owned land here in the mid 1800's, Saffold Dam is typical of many mill dams built during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Originally a natural rock outcropping, the dam was first improved by Henry Troell in the Late 1800's when he added rock to the dam to raise the water level to power a cotton gin.  The City of Seguin bought Troell's property in 1907 to further develop the river's hydroelectricity, and subsequent improvements have led to the establishment of a hydroelectric plant on the dam's south side.     (1991)
The Guadalupe River
    One of the earliest explored rivers in Texas.  Named for Our Lady of Guadalupe by Spaniard Alonso De Leon in 1689.
    During, 1691-1693, Domingo Teran De Los Rios, Spanish Governor of Texas, maintained a colony on the Guadalupe.   In early AngloAmerican Settlement, 30 or 40 families located along its bank, which formed a boundary of the Power-Hewetson Irish Colony.
    Near the mouth of the river, historic Victoria was founded, and 60 miles above was Gonzales, where the first shot for Texas freedom was fired, Oct. 2, 1835.
The Guadalupe is 250 miles long.   (1969)
Henry Troell
(October 5, 1838 - December 19 1921)
  A native of Wichmannshausen, Germany, Henry Troell moved to this area sometime prior to 1860.  He served in the Confederate Army and in 1872 married area native Johanna Woehler.  A successful freighting business enabled him to invest in several local properties and enterprises, including an innovative dam/grist mill operation at this site.  He expanded the mill's water and hydroelectric generation capabilities and in the 1890s provided the city its first water and electric utility systems.  His entrepreneurial and business legacy represent an important part of the city's development.  (1994)

Saffold dam   saffold dam
Saffold Dam
flood  flood

steps

Starcke Steps

Return to Guadalupe County