Altwein Family Historical Marker
Altwein Family Marker
On FM725 between New Braunfels and Seguin.
Johann Gotthulf Altwein (1801-1853),
A Grain Mill Builder
And Operator, And His Wife Wilhelmine
Brought Their Family To Texas From Prussia in 1851 And Settled
On A Farm On The West Bank Of The Guadalupe River Near This
site. They Donated Land
For The First Schumannsville
Community School. Named Altwein School
In Their Honor, It
Was Moved Closer To The
Town In 1879 And Renamed
Union Wein School.
Located About One-Half Mile East Of This
Site Is The Alwein
Family Cemetery, Established In 1853
Upon Johann Gotthulf
Altwein's Death. Three Months After Purchasing
The Farm, He
Was Working To Clear The
Land And Suffered A Fatal
Heatstroke. Only One Grave In The Cemetery Is Marked
Headstone-That Of Two-Year-Old
Grandson, Herrman R.
Altwein (1880-1882). Family History Records
At Least Fourteen
Burials At The Site, Some Marked
With Simple Native Rocks.
Return to Guadalupe