Home Page | Our Ancestors | Census Page | Veterans Page | Cemetery Page



Grimes County, Texas


Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/txflag1.gif


Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/star.gifTXGenWeb Project    Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/star.gifUSGenWeb Project


Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif


Anderson Baptist

Anderson Grove

Arbor Chapel

Bay's Chapel

Bedias First Baptist

Bethela Grove


Blue Lake

Center Point



Fellowship of Believers


First Baptist of Navasota

First Presbyterian of Navasota

First United Methodist of Navasota

Harmony Baptist

High Point


Iola Missionary Baptist Church

Lee Tabernacle Methodist

Lone Star

Martin Prairie

Midway Baptist, Shiro

Mount Pleasant offsite

Oakland Baptist Historical Marker

Pilgrim Point

Plantersville Baptist

Pleasant Grove

Pleasant Hill

Primitive Stone

Red Hill

Robinson Hill

Rose Hill

Saint Joseph's Catholic

Saint Joseph's Episcopal

Saint Marks Missionary Baptist, Shiro

Saint Martinville

Saint Mary

Saint Paul's Episcopal

Saint Stanislaus offsite


Salem Missionary


Shiro Baptist

Shiro Presbyterian

Shiro United Methodist

Stoneham Methodist Church


Union Grove Baptist

Zion Hill

Zion United Methodist of Iola



Anderson Baptist Church

Marker Number: 8562
300 Fanthorp Ave., Anderson, TX

Organized November 11, 1844 Baptist General Convention of Texas organized here in 1848. Twenty-three of Texas thirty-four Baptist churches were represented. Present building was constructed with native rock by slave labor and finished in 1855. Burned February 6, 1955, and was restored, using original walls, and redecorated September 18, 1955. First Texas Baptist Woman's Missionary Society organized here in 1858. Sign and plaque given in memory of Carl H. and Effie Smith Bell.

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif

Bedias First Baptist Church

Historical Marker 9407
Erected 1975
Take FM 2620 SE approx. .5 miles

The Rev. Anderson Buffington (1806-91), a Baptist missionary who fought at the Battle of San Jacinto in 1836, organized this church in 1848. Services were held in a small schoolhouse until the 1850s. In 1859 the congregation built this structure, which also served as a school until about 1903. Members of this fellowship helped start several other Baptist churches nearby. The congregation survived a split in 1913, but later dwindled because of population changes. The last regular service was held here in 1965. Restored in 1974, the building was deeded to the Bedias Cemetery Association.

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif


Fellowship of Believers

Information from Dee Prewitt.
Located in Roans Prairie. Currently at the Roans Prairie Community Center until we find a new home… We are an non-denominal church that teaches the whole bible from Genesis to Revelations. We are a full gospel church. Our motto is “Real Church for Real People” We don’t care where you come from….how you dress….if your rich or poor…We just want to share God’s word and love with everyone. Sundays at 10:00 am and Thursdays at 7:00 (bible study)

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif


First Baptist Church of Navasota

Historical Marker 8574
Navasota, Texas
Erected 1977
SE corner of Church St. and Holland St.; Navasota.

In the spring of 1860, six men formed this church, one of the first of any faith in the railroad town of Navasota. By fall there were 52 members, and growth continued. Services were held in the town's schoolhouse, and then in a Methodist church, until the Baptists received a site as a gift from the Houston & Texas Central Railway, and built a small frame sanctuary about 1872. A permanent edifice of native stone was started after Mrs. A. E. Baten, wife of the pastor, drew plans in 1889. Funds came from members and non-members, sometimes as donations of cattle, and a 46' x 67' x 37' x 67' stone building with a steeple was completed in 1890. By 1925 more room was needed; a 2-story annex was constructed. Although a new, larger sanctuary was erected in 1955, the 1890 building is still used. In 1969, it was converted into a fellowship hall, and after a disastrous fire the next year was restored in 1971. The congregation-- now numbering more than 900 members-- founded and financed one local mission that became self-supporting, and now underwrites another. During the church's first 116 years, it has been served by 35 pastors.

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif

Description: Historical Marker at First Baptist Church of Navasota

First Presbyterian Church of Navasota

Historical Marker 8577
Navasota, Texas
Erected 1970
Corner of Nolan and Holland Streets; Navasota.

Organized in 1866, drawing members from old church at Washington, Texas. First building, erected in 1876, was replaced in 1894 by this Victorian edifice finely crafted in the taste of its English builders. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif

Description: Historical Marker at First Presbyterian Church of Navasota

First United Methodist Church of Navasota

Historical Marker 1984
Navasota, Texas
Erected 1984
SW corner of Wood St. and Holland St.; Navasota.

The first worship services of the Methodist church in Navasota were held in 1853 in the community schoolhouse. The Rev. T. W. Blake served as part-time pastor for most of the antebellum and Civil War years. In 1866 the Houston & Texas Central Railroad deeded land at this site for use by the Methodist congregation. In that year, a frame building with shuttered windows was constructed for the fellowship. It was named Robert Alexander Chapel in honor of an early Methodist circuit rider in Texas. The chapel was also used by Navasota's Presbyterian congregation. In 1891 a rock building replaced the frame structure and was used until 1912, when a brick sanctuary was built. The current sanctuary was completed in 1959. Although the size of the congregation is relatively small when compared with that of other churches in the area, the First United Methodist Church of Navasota has served as host to the Texas Annual Conference of Methodist Churches. Throughout its history, this congregation has provided significant service and leadership to the community and has continued to uphold the ideals and traditions of its pioneer founders.

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif

Harmony Baptist Church and Cemetery

Historical Marker 8588
Navasota, Texas
Erected 1979
From Navasota, Highway 6, take SH 105 E approximately 2.4 miles to CR 407, then take CR 407 N approximately 2 miles to cemetery and church on the left.

Soon after John Moore McGinty (1823-1888) and his wife Mary Loretta Brown settled in Stoneham in 1853, they organized the Grimes Prairie Baptist Church. About 1859 the congregation moved to a schoolhouse in this area and changed the name to "Harmony". This property was acquired from Blake and Peggy Brantley, and the first church house erected in 1870. Upon the death of McGinty, his wife and son deeded the cemetery land which had been in use for years. About 1924 this building was completed. Services were held here until the 1930s.

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif


Lee Tabernacle Methodist Church

Historical Marker 8598
Navasota, Texas
Corner of La Salle (Bus. SH 6) and Teague Street; Navasota.

This Methodist congregation was founded in 1860, and worshipped with the Baptist church in shared facilities in Navasota. A church building was erected in 1866 in what was called "Freeman's Town." The Methodist group was formally organized in 1876, and built a separate facility a few years later. This church building was erected in 1896. During construction, services were held in the basement until the sanctuary was finished. When the structure was completed, the congregation changed its name to honor the pastor at that time, The Rev. Edward Lee, becoming the Lee Tabernacle Methodist Church. Interior modifications have occurred over the years, including the restoration of the stained glass windows, the addition of a choir room, and general remodeling, but the exterior remains essentially intact. A parsonage was added to accommodate the pastor. This church structure is a fine example of a Gothic revival design, featuring arched windows, a tower entry, stained glass windows, double wood paneled doors, and a gabled roof. The Lee Tabernacle Methodist Church continues to serve its dedicated members as it has for over 130 years in the Navasota community.

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif


Oakland Baptist Church

Historical Marker 8606
Roan's Prairie, Texas
Erected 1967
From the intersection of SH 90 and SH 30 in Roans Prairie go E on SH 30 approx. 100 yards, then S on Church Road approx. 200 yards; Roans Prairie.

Organized 1854. First pastor was George W. Baines, great grandfather of U.S. President Lyndon Baines Johnson. Congregation worshipped in school room till 1872 when present church was built. Church was moved to this site in 1913. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif


Plantersville Baptist Church

Historical Marker 8611
Stoneham, Texas
Erected 1968
From the intersection of SH 105 and FM 1774 in Stoneham take FM 1774 south about .5 mile to church.

Organized May 19, 1861, by elders N. T. Byars and George W. Baines. The Rev. Mr. Baines was the great-grandfather of the 36th President of the United States, Lyndon Baines Johnson.

Historical Marker 8610
Stoneham, Texas
Erected 1967
Same directions

Organized May, 1861, with Rev. N. T. Byars as pastor. Worship was in a schoolhouse until erection of this building, which was dedicated Aug. 4, 1872. Cost $2,701.73, paid in gold. Church bell came by oxcart from San Antonio. Building, including pews (hand-hewn), is in original state. Through years church has had two missions, Todd and Smith's Store, under its guidance. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif


Union Grove Baptist Church

Historical Marker 8623
White Hall, Texas
Erected 1972
From the intersection of FM 362 and FM 2988 in Whitehall take FM 362 S approx. 1 mile to Union Grove Baptist Church Rd., take church road E approx. .1 mile to church.

Organized in Sawyer community about 1865; had 27 members that year. In 1870 Dougald McAlpine donated this 3-acre site. Church building was erected in 1880 and Union Baptist Association held its annual convention here. This congregation (1882) helped form Evergreen Baptist Association, Grimes County Association (1896), and Creath Association (1901). It hosted Evergreen (1892) and the Creath Associations (1901, 1910). Peak membership (1918) was 134. Structure was rebuilt 1952. After a 1965-70 lapse, regular services were resumed in 1971.

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif


Saint Paul's Episcopal Church

Historical Marker 8612
Navasota, Texas
Erected 1991
414 E. McAlpine, Navasota.

In 1864, Bishop Alexander Gregg organized an Episcopal mission in Navasota that became a parish in 1866. Originally known as the Church of the Holy Comforter, it was renamed in 1870, when the church building from St. Paul's in Washington (7 mi. SW) was acquired and relocated to Navasota on land donated by the Houston and Texas Central Railway. The congregation completed a new church building in 1891. Throughout its history, St. Paul's has been actively involved in the community with worship, education, and outreach programs.

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif


Stoneham Methodist Church

Historical Marker 8619
Stoneham, Texas
Erected 1995
From the intersection of SH 105 and Spur 234 in Stoneham, take Spur 234 south approx. .5 mile to CR 304, take CR 304 E then S across railroad tracks approx. .1 mile to church.

Early settlers of Stoneham, established in 1885, attended Methodist services in nearby Plantersville. This congregation was organized by 12 members of the Plantersville Church in 1885. Services were held in a school and led by circuit-riding ministers until 1893 when a frame sanctuary was built here and The Rev. R. W. Adams became the first full-time pastor. In the 1920s the church flourished and supported several youth programs. Due to declining area populations the church closed in 1940-1945 and 1960-1973. Reactivated in 1973, the church continues to serve the area with various programs. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif



St. Joseph's Catholic Church

Historical Marker 8472
New Waverly, Texas
Corner of Empire and Walker Streets, New Waverly

St. Joseph Catholic Church was established in 1909 by a group of Polish-speaking immigrants from the Grimes Prairie, Stoneham and Plantersville areas. For many years, Stoneham's Polish community worshipped either with the Polish community of St. Stanislaus in Anderson or with the Ukrainian-German community of St. Mary in Plantersville. In 1909, because of historical rivalries and antagonism rooted in the Old World and the arrival of a new pastor at St. Mary, the Polish community in the Stoneham area separated itself from the Plantersville community, joining itself with the Polish community of Anderson as a mission, and built its own sanctuary in the present location, under the spiritual leadership and jurisdiction of the Polish-speaking pastor of St. Stanislaus in Anderson. This arrangement would last until 1967 when jurisdiction would be transferred to St. Mary in Plantersville with St. Joseph as its Mission. This is the present status, uniting the communities of St. Mary and St. Joseph.

The land for the present location was purchased from Mrs. J.O. Stoneham. It was a ten acre tract just south of Stoneham, which was then a small, thriving community. The parishioners united and built a church of modified New England style prevalent and popular at the time, large enough to accommodate the growing Polish population migrating into the area. A small rectory was also built near the new church for a visiting priest to stay the night. Unfortunately, St. Joseph was never fortunate to have a resident pastor.

On July 19, 1909, the present property was, of course, deeded to the Right Rev. Nicholas Gallagher, Bishop of Galveston, which, at that time, comprised the entire State of Texas. Traveling to Stoneham, Bishop Gallagher dedicated the newly constructed church in 1910, with Fr. Markus Dombrowski of St. Stanislaus in Anderson as its first pastor and established it as a mission of Anderson. The cemetery was also established at this time. Records show that the first wedding celebrated was that of Tony Sechelski and Agnes Niscovits in 1910 and the first burial in the cemetery that of Michalena Filipak (Phillips) on May 13, 1910.

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif

Saint Mary’s Catholic Church

Historical Marker #5185012792

8227 CR 205

Plantersville, Texas


St. Mary's Catholic Church The first recorded visit of a Catholic priest to Plantersville occurred in the summer of 1860. Infrequent worship services subsequently were held at the home of James Kelly Markey until the first church building was constructed in 1873. An influx of Polish and German-Russian immigrants in the last quarter of the 19th century led to such growth in the congregation that Bishop Nicholas Gallagher of the Diocese of Galveston sent the Rev. Joseph Klein to serve as resident pastor in 1894. During Fr. Klein's pastorate, Cordelia Baker gave 10 acres of land to the diocese for the benefit of a German Catholic Church in Plantersville. A small building was completed and dedicated in 1894 under the name Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. After Fr. Klein's departure in 1907, the Rev. George Wilhelm became pastor, and St. Mary's divided into Polish and German congregations, with the Polish families founding St. Joseph's Church in Stoneham. The church building burned to the ground after being struck by lightning in 1917, and it was replaced the same year, under the leadership of the Rev. George Apel, with this Gothic Revival structure. Stained glass windows reflect the German heritage of the congregation, while the lancet windows, buttresses and crenellated bell tower demonstrate the building's Gothic Revival architectural influences. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001

Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif


St. Stanislaus Catholic Church

In 1873 thirty families purchased a public school and three and a half acres of land just south of Anderson. They converted the school into Anderson’s first Catholic Church. Fr. Orzechowski’s name appears in the sacramental record book from 1876 to 1882. All but one of the first eighty-eight baptisms, however, took place in Plantersville, Texas, where Father Orzechowski also ministered. The first recorded baptism in Anderson took place in 1880. The parish’s death records indicate that Fr. Orzechowski also began the parish cemetery.

Having been reared in Poland’s relatively mild climate, Fr. Orzechowski eventually found Texas summers too oppressive. In 1882 he returned to his beloved Warsaw. At that time Poland was not an independent country. For nearly a hundred years the Polish lands had been divided among the German, Austro-Hungarian, and Russian Empires. Warsaw was part of the Russian Empire. During his time in Texas, Fr. Orzechowski had been inculcated with the American principles of freedom of thought and speech and religious tolerance, and he spoke out in favor of these ideals in his native land. As a result, the Russian authorities adjudged him a dangerous radical and exiled him to Siberia. Fr. Orzechowski died there shortly after he had been exiled.

The history of the parish cannot be traced from 1883 to 1888. Rev. Fr. Adam Laski became the first resident priest in 1888 and ministered to the Catholics of Anderson for two years. From 1890 through 1895 Rev. Fr. J. Chalcarz and Rev. Fr. A. Sulek, both of whom came from Poland, served as resident priests at St. Stanislaus. From 1895 through 1897 there was no resident priest, but Rev. Fr. J. Klein of St. Mary’s Church, Plantersville offered Mass at St. Stanislaus. In 1897, Rev. Fr. F.X. Pruss became pastor of St. Stanislaus. In his energetic zeal, Fr. Pruss built a 40-by-60 foot church and converted an old public school into a parochial school, which was discontinued when his pastorate ended in 1903.

In 1904 Rev. Fr. Peter Litwora became pastor. His eight year pastorate was a productive one, but it came to an untimely end. Anderson experienced several dry summers, and water became scarce. After several unsuccessful attempts, parishioners were able to dig a well, but it was located near the parish cemetery. After drinking water from this well, Fr. Litwora became seriously ill and was hospitalized in St. Joseph’s Hospital in Houston. Rev. Fr. C. H. Weiznerowski ministered to the parish for two months until its new pastor, Rev. Fr. Marcus Dombrowski, was appointed in 1912. Upon hearing that Fr. Litwora’s illness was caused by contaminated well water, Fr. Dombrowski had a deep well dug and struck some of the best water in Grimes County. He also made attempts to remodel the old frame church.

In 1916, Fr. Dombrowski was succeeded by Rev. Fr. Nikodem Tomasz Domanski. Bishop Nicholas A. Gallagher of Galveston insisted that Fr. Domanski immediately build a parochial school, but too many obstacles prevented him from doing so. The old frame church became too small to accommodate the growing number of parishioners; therefore, Fr. Domanski proposed that a new church (the current parish church) be built. Grimes County Judge Thomas Buffington, whose father had brought the first Polish family to Grimes County, donated 120 loads of crushed rocks for its foundation. The church’s architecture is Romanesque, and its original wood carved altars remain to this day. Its beautifully crafted stained glass windows were valued in 1983 at $206,720. The church was completed in 1917 at a cost of $40,000.00 (all of which had been raised before the church was completed), and it was the first brick Catholic edifice in Grimes County.

The new St. Stanislaus parish church was dedicated by Reverend Monsignor James Kirwin, Vicar General and Administrator of the Diocese of Galveston on Tuesday, August 6, 1918, the Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord with over 1500 people in attendance. The dedicatory sermon was given by Rev. Fr. J. G. Zymonski. Although Fr. Zymonski spoke in Polish, the Navasota Examiner-Review of Wednesday, August 7, 1918, reported that “[w]hile we could not understand this splendid address, the delivery was so forceful and eloquent that we enjoyed the address almost as much as though we had been able to follow it verbatim.” Monsignor Kirwin gave an address in English after the dedication in which he took as his text a line from the feast day’s Gospel reading (Mt. 17:1-9) - “Let us build here three tabernacles.” In his address, Monsignor Kirwin praised Fr. Domanski and the Catholics of Anderson for building such a beautiful tabernacle for the Lord upon a lovely hill so that it could be seen from all directions. The Monsignor, however, also reminded all present that the most important tabernacle for the Lord is the one built inside the human heart. Monsignor Kerwin also spoke in thanksgiving for America’s tradition of welcoming and assimilating people from all lands. Finally, he predicted that “[w]hen this awful struggle is over, Poland, which has always stood for liberty and freedom, will come into its own among the family of nations . . . .” The awful struggle of World War I ended three months later, and, as Monsignor Kerwin had predicted, after the war, Poland once again became an independent nation.

During his 39 year pastorate, Fr. Domanski enlarged the rectory (1924) and built a Parish Hall (1939). In 1951, Rev. Fr. T.W. Kappe was assigned as assistant pastor to Fr. Domanski. Fr. Domanski died in 1955 and was buried in the parish cemetery. Upon Fr. Domanski’s death, Fr. Kappe, a most zealous and dynamic priest, was appointed pastor. He organized the local Knights of Columbus Council, named in honor of Fr. Domanski. He also began the first annual Homecoming and Bazaar and the first C.Y.O. in the parish. Fr. Kappe invited seminarians from St. Mary’s Seminary to come to the parish in the summer to teach religious education and to help with the maintenance and repairs at St. Stanislaus and St. Joseph, the mission church in Stoneham. All these seminarians were later ordained to the priesthood. Rev. Msgr. Joe Culver presently serves in the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston. Rev. Frs. Richard DeStefano and Don Golasinski presently serve the Diocese of Beaumont, and Rev. Fr. Elmer Holtman presently serves in the Diocese of Austin. The late Rev. Fr. Cliff Natho served for many years in the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.

Fr. Kappe was truly loved by all who knew him. Under Fr. Kappe’s direction, the present church underwent major renovations, including a massive reconstruction of the foundation and steeple. Fr. Kappe served two separate terms as St. Stanislaus pastor, the first 1955-1960 and the second 1964-1966. Fr. Kappe died in 1976 and was buried in St. Joseph Mission cemetery in Stoneham where he had also served. The archdiocesan youth camp, Camp Kappe, located near Plantersville is named in his memory, as is the Knights of Columbus Council in Navasota.

Between Fr. Kappe’s first and second terms as Pastor, St. Stanislaus was served by three priests — Rev. Fr. Francis J. Klass (1960), Rev. Fr. William Kennelly (1961), and Rev. Fr. Robert Gradel (1962-1964). After Fr. Kappe’s second term, Rev. Fr. Bernard J. O’Neill was assigned as pastor in 1966 and remained until his death in 1979. He was an unpretentious and dedicated priest and had a great love for the poor and needy. Fr. O’Neill purchased ten acres of land adjacent to the old cemetery, foreseeing the need for more cemetery space in the future. He dismantled the old wooden rectory and built a beautiful well planned new brick rectory. He also organized the parish Holy Name Society. Fr. O’Neill was buried in the parish cemetery, his gravestone donated by his former parishioners. During his final illness, Fr. O’Neill was assisted in the parish by Rev. Fr. Charles Burns and Rev. Fr. Roderick Hemond.

Rev. Fr. Louis S. Sikorski was assigned to St. Stanislaus in July, 1979. That summer, with the help of parishioners, the old rectory portion of the hall building was renovated and converted to classrooms so that the C.C.E. classes could be moved from the local public school back to the parish. When Fr. Sikorski arrived there was only a small amount of money in the parish account because of the cost of the new rectory. He decided that, in order to pay off the remaining debt on the new rectory, to meet the financial needs of the parish, and to make necessary repairs and improvements, the annual Homecoming and Bazaar and its facilities had to be expanded. At this time, there was only one bazaar building and a Bar-B-Que pit building. Buying materials on credit, he had a second permanent bazaar building constructed. The old Bar-B-Que building down the hill on the west side of the church was dismantled and reconstructed, becoming the bazaar auction building. Beginning in October, 1979, the Homecoming and Bazaar became financially successful. In the following years, a kitchen, restrooms and a new auction building were added to the bazaar facilities. The attractions of this annual parish event continued to expand, and the bazaar presently draws one of the largest crowds of any event in Grimes County.

Because of the financial success of the annual bazaars, the remaining debt of $32,000.00 on the new rectory was paid off in 1981. From 1981 to 1992 over $120,000.00 in parish improvements were made, including two concrete parking lots, a drainage system in front of church, outdoor lighting, a much needed storage building, repairs to the stained glass windows in church and a new church sound system. In 1986, under the sponsorship of the Holy Name Society, Fr. Sikorski began an annual Spring Festival and Easter Egg Hunt which occurs every year on Passion/Palm Sunday. In 1993, at a cost of $81,000.00, the interior of the church was renovated, including the painting of the interior, repairing and refinishing the pews and wood floor and the installation of new carpet. In 1995, the local Knights of Columbus Council, No. 4054, sponsored, funded, and installed a beautiful memorial monument by the parish church sign near SH 90 to commemorate all unborn children killed by abortion.

In 1984, Fr. Sikorski took a leave of absence for one year due to illness. In his absence, Rev. Fr. John Prill, originally from Poland, was appointed administrator. Before Fr. Sikorski left, he had drawn up plans and budgeted money for the new concrete parking lot. With the input of parishioners, this project was completed in 1984 during the administration of Fr. Prill. Fr. Sikorski was re-appointed pastor in October, 1985 and served until illness forced him to retire in October, 2007. Rev. Fr. Raul A. Marterior, who was serving as pastor of Christ Our Light Catholic Church in Navasota, was appointed as pastor of St. Stanislaus as well.

The parish’s Holy Name and Altar Societies have been active, wonderful examples of faith, and of great assistance to the pastor and parish, the former funding the maintenance of the church grounds and cemetery, the latter funding the weekly cleaning of the church. The C.C.E. Program, Pre-K through 12th Grade, has grown and is staffed by very dedicated parishioners. The C.Y.O. has distinguished itself by their participation in parish functions and by winning a number of first place awards in athletic competition. The parish has also been blessed with excellent and dependable Altar Servers. Mrs. Maxine Kimich Lee served, without pay, as parish secretary for 30 years, until serious illness forced her to retire in November, 2007.

Presently (August, 2008), there are 325 families in the parish. They, reside in the towns of Anderson, Bedias, Carlos, Iola, Navasota, Richards, Roans Prairie and Shiro. In the near future, with money already raised from parish bazaars and a pledge fund drive, a new parish hall/CCE building will be constructed, and a new section of the parish cemetery will be opened, and the entire cemetery fenced.

The history of St. Stanislaus has been shaped both by the faith and personalities of the priests who have served the parish and by those whom they have served. Perhaps this can be best exemplified by the fact that two men from the parish have been ordained to the priesthood for the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston - Rev. Msgr. Adam McClosky and Rev. Fr. Joseph Szymczak. Fr. Szymczak died in 1985 and is buried in the parish Cemetery. Rev. Msgr. Chester Borski, also of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston, was born in Anderson and baptized at St. Stanislaus.

The faith of the people of St. Stanislaus Kostka has brought them through difficult times in their past, most especially those times when they were without a resident priest. As the parish must now share its pastor with a neighboring parish, the same faith must sustain them in the present and into the foreseeable future.


Description: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~txgrimes/line5mar.gif


Home Page | Our Ancestors | Census Page | Veterans Page | Cemetery Page