White Oak History
This page is a part of the Gregg County, TXGenWeb project and all of the information here is
FREE  for you to use. If you are being charged to view/use any of this  information, please contact Elaine & Etta

History of White Oak

The information we have been able to track down on White Oak so far has been sketchy. City Hall at White Oak considers it to be more of a community than a town. It has a population of 5,136 residents and is located on a major highway between Gladewater and Longview. They have no main street, only a few major businesses, no real drawing cards for visitors. It is a quiet little community, only about 2 miles from Longview, with a nice school and several fast food stops for the kids.

In the early 1800's, the area was the home of the Cherokee and the Caddo Indians, who dominated this wooded East Texas territory. The Cherokees traveled a path through the area, from Nacogodoches to their summer hunting grounds at White River, Arkansas. This historic path is known as the Cherokee Trace.

In the late 1800's, White Oak was a small farming community with 3 large sawmills located on what was once thickly wooded land. By 1884 there were 12-15 families living in the area, most who had come to work in the sawmills or the rich soil. A small school (60x40) was built for the families' children, near Hawkins Creek, and it doubled as a church. Sadly, that school burned to the ground in 1885.

Local land owners, Andrew J. Tuttle, and Tuttle's father-in-law, John Bumpus, gathered a group of men in the area with the idea of building a new school. Mr. Tuttle's uncle, Pleas Harris, and Kaleb Bumpus donated ground near a spring between two White Oak saplings on which to build the school. Andrew Tuttle and John Bumpus donated the lumber. Everyone in the community worked together to erect the new school building.

Upon completion, John Bumpus noticed the two White Oak trees on either side of the building. It was decided then and there that the name of the community would be White Oak. The town of White Oak was officially incorporated in September of 1957.



Copyright © 2007 - present by TXGenWeb
(Please read our copyright page for a better understanding of our copyright needs.)

Materials on this site are provided for the free use of persons who are researching their family history. Data may be freely used by non-commercial and/or completely free entities,  as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial use, without the prior consent of the host/author of the materials provided on this site, is prohibited. The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit.

Notice to Webmasters: You may not copy and paste the information on any of the pages of  this site onto another web page without first obtaining explicit permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.