URSULINE ACADEMY CEMETERY

 

All pictures taken by, and are the property of
Floyd "Lanny" Martin. E-mail: [email protected]

 

URSULINE ACADEMY CEMETERY
2601  Ursuline (Ave. N) Galveston, Tx.

Located behind Ursuline Academy, is a small cemetery. Burials there are Ursuline Sisters and a few graves that are not members of the Ursuline Sisters.  Ursuline Academy was established in February 1847 by Ursuline Sisters from New Orleans.  The Academy was the first all girls parochial school and girls all faiths attended.  The Academy opened in 1854, and closed for a time in 1857 during a yellow fever epidemic.  The building was used as a hospital during the Civil War, by the Union and the Confederates.  Over 1,000 refugees were house at the Academy during the 1900 Storm.  In 1961, Hurricane Carla damaged the academy and convent, and the buildings had to be demolished.   A new school was built. The cemetery remains and  is maintained by the Ursuline Alumnae.

 

CEMETERY HEADSTONES INDEX