Della Plain, Texas


Last Updated:
26 Jul 2016

Della Plain, Texas Site Map
Home

site search by freefind

DELLA PLAIN, TEXAS. Della Plain was five miles north of Floydada on Highway 207 near the center of Floyd County. It was the first community in what was to become Floyd County and was founded in 1887 by rancher Tom J. Braidfoot and cousins John R. and Jim S. McLain and named for Jim McLain's daughter, Della. A store was built there in 1887, and a post office operated from 1888 to 1893. In 1890 the Della Plain Male and Female Institute opened but moved to Floydada a year later. The Della Plain Review was published from 1889 to 1891, but the loss of the county seat election in 1890 and a poor local water supply finished the community. In 1894 its houses were moved to nearby Lockney, and in the early 1900s the site was planted in cotton. A roadside historical marker indicates the location of the former town.

Alma N. Holmes

 

[ Return to the Floyd County Towns and Communities Page ]   [ Return to the Main Floyd County Page ]

Created and Maintained for the TXGenWeb Project by

Larry "Joe" Reynolds

Copyright © 2015 - 2016, Larry Joe Reynolds, Mount Pleasant, Texas USA.
All Rights Reserved. Limited use rights may be granted by written or electronic permission.