Historical Marker reads:
"First Settlement and fort in
Fannin County. Built in 1836 by Able Warren, Indian trader from Arkansas
to protect his trading post. Kiowa, Caddo , Wichita and other Indians came
here to trade furs for piant, knives and trinkets. In Civil War , Fort
was a transport and food supply center for Indians to the North and soldiers
in Louisiana and Arkansas.