Fannin County TXGenWeb
of Texas Online-_Trenton
Trenton is located in
southwest Fannin County at the junction of State Hwy 121
and State Hwy 69.Trenton
was first called Wild Cat Thicket. Abundant wildlife including panthers,bears,
wolves, deer, prairie chickens, and bobcats could be found in the area.
The first settler arrived about 1849. His name was Saunders. The southern
area of Trenton was part
of Saunder's original homestead. By 1852, Saunders
had company in the region.
His new neighbors arrived from Tennessee by
wagon train. They included
the Burns family, the Aldredges, the Squires family, the Chadwells, and
the Andrews (Later they changed it to Andress).
The new neighbors to
Saunders' northwest soon fenced off land for farming and had homes for
their families to sleep - safe from the bears & wildcats. The first
church was shared by the Baptist, Methodist, and Christian denominations.
The first Baptists organized
as the Smyrna Baptist Church of Christ on
7 January 1877. They
changed the church name to First Baptist Church of
Trenton in 1886. First
United Methodist organized in 1887 & built their present building in
1896. Trenton came into existence when the Missouri, Kansas,
& Texas Rail link
was created in 1881.
It was named after a
hospital where an early settler ( A.J. Russell) had been
during the Civil War
. The Post Office was established 2 December 1881. The
first postmaster was
George H. Saunders. The first school opened in 1884
& the teachers were
Ferdinand Eddie & Mrs. Lula Moss of Kentuckytown.
The first hotel was operated
by Burgher Reed. The first newspaper was
called the Trenton Review
& it was published by Harvey Diggs and J. G.
Talbot in 1893. Trenton
more info on the Trenton School System
Any Additions or suggestions
Fannin Home page