Fannin County TXGenWeb
of Texas Online - Savoy
incorporated in 1885
Tornado of 1880
Savoy is located
on US 82 on the central western edge of Fannin
County . Savoy is between Bells in Grayson County & the Fannin
County seat in Bonham. There are two historical markers in the Savoy city
limits. One is remembering Fort Warren that got this area started. It is
located on US 82 going east toward Bonham.
The exact location of
the fort itself is still not agreed on. The other
marker is at the Methodist Church in town, because ofits age and denomination.
Savoy was named after
its first residents, Colonel William Savoy.
Col. Savoy brought his family to the area in 1863. Thetown was almost completely
destroyed by a tornado in May 28, 1880. Savoy was incorporated in 1885
after it was rebuilt. At
that time, there were...
a cotton gin
a post office
a population of about 300.
In 1996, Savoy has...
3 churches (Baptist, Church of Christ, and Pentecostal)
a post office
2 stores/gas stations
the SuperSack Co.
two nursing homes
a city hall
a volunteer firestation
2 police officers
a craft and jewelry shop
a new barbecue restaurant.
When the town was established,
one found the center of the business district located on Main Street.
Today, the business epicenter
of Savoy is on US 82. The first business house erected was located at the
cornor of Main and Front
Streets across from and facing the depot. The depot nolonger stands but
the railroad still remains and still use the tracks.
The building was built by Hodgeson and Beard and
occupied by them with a stock of general merchandise.About the same time
another building was erected on the east side
of Main Street facing north on Front Street and was occupied by R.T. Best
with a saloon, while adjoining him on the east, W.N. Youree opened a general
These were the first business
institutions of the town. Entrepeneurs established these businesses
before the railroad was
completed into town. Following the completion of the railroad, and the
rail extension to Sherman,
there was a building boom,
and a considerable number of residences were built, then followed in rapid
succession other business houses, with different lines of merchandise.
year, Savoy was a thriving
town and a popular trade center for a
large territory, Bonham , Sherman, and Denison being thenearest railroad
towns. In fact, there were no other towns in this immediate
The town of Savoy was
almost completly destroyed
on May 28, 1880, at around
10pm at night by a cyclone (called a "tornado" now.) The twister completely
wiped out the business district.
It also destroyed all
goods, wares, and merchandise. Almost all
the residences were demolished, several persons were killed,and many more
were maimed and crippled. After the debris was
cleared away, Savoy residents rebuilt the town. Business
owners established themselves
in a new location
in a framestructure on
Water Street. These businesses gradually withdrew from the Water Street
frame, to be housed in modern brick buildings. None of the original Water
Street businesses remained
on Water Street. They
all moved to Hayes Street (US 82). The present city hall is located in
the old bank building. The old mercantile store is at times a flea market/craft
page was created 04 November 1996 by LeAnne Davis
with extensive input from
Jane Marshall of Savoy ©
Back to the Fannin
County TXGenWeb Index page
If you find any of Fannin County
TXGenWeb links inoperable,
send me a message.
the TXGenWeb State Page.
This page is created and maintained
by Susan Hawkins ©2006