Muddig School ( also called Pecan )
( now a residence)
On September 2, 1887 Mark Thornton and wife Susan deeded
to H. P. Erwin, F. M. Dyer, and J. S. Clower (acting as trustees for Pecan
School ) one acre of land out of the Samuel Vollas Survey to be used as
a school building site. This school, which came to be known as Muddig,
existed until 1946 when it consolidated with Commerce School.
This picture is of the old Muddig School that was moved
and renovated into a home now located on Hwy. 34 near the Sulphur River.
Names from records, deeds, and families of another
time in the Muddig area are: Fry, Fife, Middlebrooks, Dunham, Wisdom, Liston,
Pierce, Daniels, Bradshaw, Douglass, Threlkeld, Walls, Hannah, Langley,
Witcher, Kizer, Eudy, Sallee, Laird, Rogers, Hamlin, Marcom, Dockery, Boles,
Price, Holloway, Sheffield, O"Conner, Shaw, Grissom, Rucker, Box, Duncan,
Darwin, Vandver, Lacy, Carr, McAbee, Taylor, Bramlett, Roberts, McNabb,
McCormick, Dunn,and Morrison.
The Map below shows where Muddig Community was located
in Hunt County, just over the county line. Many Fannin County families
were involved with Muddig.
Community Reunion - 1966