McCraws Chapel
Fannin County TXGenWeb
McCraw's Chapel




McCraw's Chapel 
Historical  Marker Text: 

      Methodist Church and Cemetery Settlers farming the blackland prairie in this area gathered in the home of Ezekiel Phillips  Warren (1828-1903)
in 1859 to organize a Methodist congregation.Warren, a native of  Tennessee who moved here in 1856,  hosted the group for several years. In 1877  two acres of land for a church and  cemetery were donated by William Bain 
McCraw (1841-1878) and others. The Rev.  N. A. Keen was then minister for the Dodd  City Circuit, which included the church  here. McCraw, a native of Kentucky who  served in the Confederate Army, was the  first to be buried in the cemetery. An  additional four acres adjacent to the church grounds were purchased in 1887. In the  late 19th century,10-day -long camp meetings were held on the church grounds in August. John M. Raiden taught school in the church building during the same years. 
    A tornado destroyed the structure in 1918,  and meetings were held in the nearby  schoolhouse. A new building was erected in 1919, serving as an anchor for the congregation and the community. Membership fell from 170 in 1933 to 38 in 1963, and the church was disbanded in  1966. The building 
was razed in 1983, but the grounds continue to host an annual community homecoming on the first Sunday in May. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986 
© 2002
Email Any Additions or suggestions

  Fannin Home page