Dona Clyde Cockerham Jordan  

The Ladonia Historical Preservation Society
Dona Clyde Cockerham Jordan

Dona Clyde [Cockerham] Jordan was born outside Springfield, MO. in 1872. In 1876, as many did, the family came to Texas in a covered wagon. The trip took 6 weeks, traveling through Indian Territory [Oklahoma]. The family first settled on a farm in Orangeville near Trenton. In 1894, Dona married James E. Jordan, and they had 5 children.In 1907 they moved to Ladonia and James operated a pool hall and Dona a boarding house, the first on the north side of the square, then later in the Boone cottageon Depot St. Dona was widowed in 1912 when James died from eye surgery complications. She never remarried. She was a lifelong Presbyterian and faithful member. She died at home with her family present and is buried on the family plot under one of the oak trees that surrounded the site of the "original" Presbyterian church location. Ladonia Cemetery



 

© 2005
Email Any Additions or suggestions

  Fannin Home page