Oak Wood Cemetery & Cedar Hill
Wheeler House | Scott Family and Scott Store |
The Old Oak Tree | Stobaugh House
J.P. Simpson wasn't the only
visitor to make a trek to HoneyGrove. A hunting party led by a 17 year
old scout named Henry Stout from Tennessee with a friend named Davy Crockett
through the area on a bear hunting expedition. Crockett had hoped to visit
a friend in the area John Stiles but his friend wasn't home. Davy found
himselfin Honey Grove & liked the area. He planned to return tosettle
there after the Alamo issue was resolved. We know he died at the
Alamo, so didn't get a chance to settle in Honey Grove, but the
name Honey Grove remained with Davy's old campsite. Erwin's first neighbors
were Captain Yeary who lived three miles south of the grove
and Dr.Nicholson who came to Texas in 1837 with his brother,A.J. Nicholson.
Other original settlers were John McKinzie Junior, J.T.Allen, James Gilmer,
Wilson Allen,Dr. Gambill, J. Fuqua, David Drennen, and Thomas Hobbs.Gilmer
purchased 320 acres from John Nicholson in 1845 at the price of $2.19 per
acre. The land was the southernhalf of Honey Grove. Gilmer built
a home of logs for his family near the west side of the present
public square. He died in 1845 shortly after the cabin was completed.
His pregnant wife & three small sons survived him.
The baby, a fourth son, was born 3 months after James Gilmer died.A Benjamin Walcott soon came to town arriving in1846. Walcott was a millwright who had left New England for Ohio, then traveled on to Mississippi finally settling in Honey Grove. He formed a partnership with Erwin & then with James Gilmer's widow. He shared a business with Erwin & in 1848 Walcott married the widow Gilmer. Walcott may have been the first Texas land developer. He & Erwin surveyed the area & began acquiring additional land
which was partitioned & then sold insmaller lots tothe influx of new Texas settlers. By 1856, Honey Grovehad grown enough that a 2 story hotel was built in the southeast corner of the square by a Granville Tucker. The hotel was directly south of Walcott's store. In 1858, Orville Smith took over the hotel and from that time, the hotel was known as the Smith Hotel. HoneyGrove was Confederate through & through, so when the CSA calledfor volunteers, many of Honey Grove's able-bodied men joined up with Company "F" of the Texas 11th Calvary. Several units trained near HoneyGrove before departingfor battle areas. After the Late Unpleasantness also known as the War between the States and now known as the Civil War, Honey Grove's population bloomed growing from 300 rapidly to 400.
A newspaper called the Semi-Weekly Texas Citizen was published by John B. McCraw. The town had72 businesses including 12 dry goods stores, 2 cotton gins,2 railroads,2 lumber yards, 2 banks, 7 churches, 4 hotels, and an assortment of boarding houses and
eateries. Honey Grove was incorporated in 1873 with J.H. Smith as the first mayor.