The earliest settler in this area was George W.
Smith, a native
of Georgia, who moved here in 1844. By the early
community had developed and a post office was
under the name Oak Hill.
The first church, a Baptist congregation,
was organized in 1855
at the home of pioneer settler
Joseph Ring. During the Civil War several residents formed
a Confederate militia unit known as the Oak Hill Home Guard. The
first church building, completed in 1869,was also used
for Masonic Lodge meetings and school
classes. In 1878 William Thomas Clark, F. K. Taylor,
and T. C. Cobb, trustees of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, purchased four
acres at this site for
a community schoolhouse, sanctuary, and cemetery. The earliest marked grave
in the community burial ground is that of William
B. A. Thomas (d. 1862). Other graves include those
of pioneer settlers and at least one former slave,
Jack Sudderth (1799-1898). The settlement of Grove
to decline in the early 1880s after the nearby
railroad town of Leonard (3.5 mi. SW) was established. The
Masonic Lodge moved there soon after and the
school merged with the Leonard
District in 1942.
Grove Hill Masonic
Texas State Historical
block south of US 69 near
of US 69 and College St.
In Leonard ,Texas
Chartered in 1873 with fifteen
members, Masonic Lodge was organized in the
community (3.5 mi.NE). The First Meeting-house was
constructed there on property purchased in connjunction with the
Grove Hill School District, which used the facility for classes.
moved to Leonard in 1882, shortly after the
town was founded.
Meetings were conducted in the city hall until a separate
hall was built on the square in 1890. Other buildings
the Lodge, which has included many prominent leaders
Hill and Leonard.
to the Grove Hill Cemetery Page
Hill Community Page-