All that is left of Ely are a couple of houses and the old school house.
This marker is located on hwy 898
Settlers were attracted to this Cotton producing area by the fertile soil and nearby rail lines. Ely was the site of a general store, cotton gin, blacksmith
shop, barber shop, and churches. A post office, opened in 1895, closed in 1905. A school was located here until 1949 when it was consolidated with the Whitewright District.
Some Family Names in the community
Dr. George W. Cobb
Levi Ely and sons , Arthur, Conyer, Forrest, Frederick, Robert L.
Email Any Additions or suggestions
Fannin Home page