Location -from Elwood take FM 2554 west 4.5
(1 mile east of landing)
Established April 1836 by five pioneers moving to Texas
on the "Rover,"one of few steamboats to pass around snags and bends of
Red River to this area. The colonists --from four states of the "Old South"
-- were Richard Locke, Dr. Daniel Rowlett, Daniel Slack, Edward and John
Stephens. They were soon joined by Jabez Fitzgerald and Mark Roberts and
families, who traveled overland. Leader of settlers was Rowlett, planter
and lawyer as well as doctor,instrumental in creation of Fannin County,
1837; he served Republic of Texas in army and in 2nd, 4th and 8th Congresses.