Dodd City, Fannin County, Texas
Fannin County TXGenWeb
Photo from Sue Scudder Mays
Dodd City Train Depot
See links below
City is just east of Bonham
west of Windom
state highway 82.
Major Edmund Hall DODD and his wife,Elizabeth
GARNETT moved from Kentucky
into the northeast Texas region now
known as Dodd City in 1839. They built a
log cabin when they arrived in the
Republic of Texas. The cabin was remodeled
in 1850, and again in 1900 when it
was enlarged to become a two-storied structure. The Dodd home served as
an inn for stagecoach customers and the Dodds ran the first
post office. The first post office
was called Lick. Elizabeth Dodd was the postmistress and ran the
stagecoach inn. The com - munity grew as other pioneers moved
there. The region became known
as Quincey around 1852, but the post office remained
Lick until the Civil War began.
Quincey had two businesses in the 1850's - the Brown & Glover Saloon
and the grocery store. In 1860, the widow of John Charters ORGAN
started a hotel. The Civil War greatly
disrupted the growth of Quincey as young men went off to war and fewer
settlers moved west to Texas. By 1870, the growth & prosperity seemed
to have returned. The rail station built in 1872 was named Dodds inhonor
of the first settlers. In 1873, Luke SMITH proposed the town's name
be changed to Dodd City.
was incorporated in 1879. Dr. O. H. CALDWELL served as the first
mayor of Dodd City. The railroad
refused to name the station Dodd City and so the community had the distinction
of having two names in contiguous use. The first
train came through in August of 1876.
The last passenger train to go through Dodd
City ran July 6, 1950. Mr. GILL organized
the first school in Dodd City in 1877.
James M. BIGGS joined the school
staff in 1878 and later served as the Super- intendent. Frank D. STEWART
donated the land for the Dodd City Cemetery east of town. The Baptist Church
was established in 1873. In 1874, the Methodist Church
was founded. Rev. R. R. DUNLAP moved
into Dodd City in 1879 and started the Presbyterian Church. I.
D. BEASLEY donated land for the Christian Church (later
to become the Church of Christ) to
be built in 1889.
Any Additions or suggestions
Fannin Home page