Bonham Turns out in 1920's
(Note the Baseball team in the front and the street cars stopped in their tracks)
From Fannin County Folks & Facts Book
All About Bonham
Bonham Public Library
John P. Simpson & Mabel Gilbert were among the first neighbors to Inglish.
They called the community Bois d'Arc after the nearby creek. It is
named for the Bois d'Arc tree numerous in this area (a strong, weather
insect resistant wood. This tree is named in french words for Wood of the Bow) (An interesting study on the Bois d'Arc Tree, & history of the area)
In 1843, there was a request made to the Texas Congress to change the town's name to Bloomington, however, the name Bonham was chosen to honor James Butler Bonham, a hero of the Alamo. Bonham was incorporated on February 2, 1848. In 1873, Bonham gained a charter to incorporate all lands within a mile of the courthouse. Bonham did not see large population growth until the Texas & Pacific Railroad ran track through in 1873. By
1885, there were three colleges in Bonham: Carlton College, Fannin College, and the Masonic Female Institute. Bonham also had three weekly published newspapers, two grist mills, a sawmill,two public schools, and 2300 people
called Bonham home. By 1891, an oil mill and an ice plant had been added to Bonham's industrial base and 3361 people were residents.
In 1889, the first telephones were installed in Bonham homes. Around 1885, Bonhamites were among the first Texans to have electric power available.
The first power company in Bonham was the Bonham Electric Light & Power Company. They merged with a newer competing company established in 1890 called Catron Electric. Col. J. F. Strickland ran the mergerged
power company and in 1912, he established Texas Power & Light which today is TU Electric. In 1925, Lone Star Gas ran lines from Denison to Paris and Bonham had natural gas available as well. Post Master list for the