Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)

Maypearl, Texas

Ellis County


Home Page   Communities


from History of Ellis County

Ellis County History Workshop

Copyright 1972


By Mrs. J. B. Higgins

Maypearl, previously known as Eyrie, is located on the International and Great Northern Railroad. It is ten miles west of Waxahachie and one-half mile north of Chambers Creek. Farm to Market Highway 66 connects with Waxahachie and Itasca. Highways 216 and 157 lead to Grandview and Venus.

The town was incorporated in 1914 with a commission form of government. Two deep wells, municipally owned, supply water. The sewage system is city owned. Natural gas has one hundred ninety connections. A volunteer fire department is well equipped with fire truck and six fireplugs. Texas Power and Light Company provides electricity, the town being lighted by thirty streetlights.

Educational facilities in 1958 consisted of a grade school with one hundred seventy enrollments, and a high school with sixty enrollments.

Farming and stock raising are the principal occupations in the retail trade territory. The eighteen businesses and one railroad station supplied the needs of the five hundred population. The religious life centered in the four churches for white members and three for the colored. Social and recreation activities were provided at the Community Center, croquet grounds and domino hall.

People who served in the Post Office, in early days:

At Eyrie, Gertrude Dumas, August 24, 1894. The name changed to Maypearl June 25, 1903.

Maypearl postmasters: Gertrude Dumas, June 25, 1903; Isiah Mozley, April 2, 1907; Charlie N. Hooser, December 11, 1907; Charles F. Barnes, February 28, 1915; Mattie B. Hooser, May 28, 1918; Charlie N. Hooser, March 22, 1922; reappointed December 11, 1926 and again June 13, 1931.

Present day Maypearl can boast a beautiful new Church of Christ located one-half mile from town on the Waxahachie road.

The superintendent of the school system is Mr. John Mays who is keeping it a very progressive system.

Maypearl business section consists of one bank with Mr. Perry Wilemon as president, one garage, one feed store, Blair Nations Service Station, Wiggins Service Station, a cafe operated by Jimmie Reavis and Medford Marion, one gin owned and operated by Mr. Perry Wilemon and the Ellis Super Market which carries a big line of general merchandise.

return to top