J. D. ANDERSON. Few men have lived more quietly and unostentatiously than J.D. Anderson, and yet few have exerted a more salutary influence upon the immediate society in which they move, or impressed a community with a more profound reliance on their honor and ability of sterling worth. His life has not been illustrious with startling or striking contrasts; but it has shown how a laudable ambition may be gratified when accompanied by pure motives, perseverance, industry and steadfastness of purpose. Mr. Anderson is now the owner of a large and excellent farm, and as a stock miser stands second to none in the county. He is a native of the Palmetto State, as were
also his parents, James and Margaret (Dorrah) Anderson. The paternal grandfather, D. Anderson, was a native of Virginia, while the maternal grandfather, James Dorrah, was born in Scotland or Ireland. William Anderson and wife, who was a Miss Denny, with two sons, David and John, came from Ireland and settled in Pennsylvania, but afterwards moved to Charleston, S.C. and thence to Laurens County, S. C., just below the court house. After they bad moved to Laurens County, they had four more children: Rebecca, Sallie, one name unknown; and Denny. They afterwards moved to Spartanburg County, on Enoree River, and thence to Tiger River, where William Anderson, at an advanced age; was killed by the Tories and Indians. John Anderson married and settled in York County. David married a Miss Mason and settled on Tiger River, in Spartanburg County. Rebecca never married. Sallie married a man by the name of Brakin, in Charleston, S. C., where they lived. She had one son who moved to Missouri. Denny married a Miss Elizabeth Massey and settled on Enoree River, S. C., Spartanburg County. They raised a family of eleven children: Rebecca, William, David, John, Denny, Mary, James, Samuel, Martha, Henry and Elizabeth. Elizabeth Massey Anderson, wife of Denny Anderson on the maternal side, was descended from the Smiths, of Halifax County, N. C. The father of our subject was a successful agriculturist and tilled the soil in his native State until his death in 1883. The mother passed away in 1851. Both belonged to the Presbyterian Church, and were active workers in the same. Our subject was born in the year 1832, educated in the old field schools and was prevented from entering college by the death of the mother and the subsequent illness of the father. For some time he managed his father's estate, and, when twenty eight years of age, was married to Miss Ianthe J. Wallace, a daughter of Hon. Alexander Wallace, a well known South Carolinian, who was prominent in State and National affairs, and who was a member of Congress for some time. In 1859, our subject came to the Loan Star State, located. in De Witt County, and in 1862, he enlisted in Company B, Twentieth Texas Regiment; infantry, serving on the coast in Texas principally and holding the rank of, Lieutenant. He was in service until the close of hostilities. In 1865, Mr. Anderson bought a portion of his present farm located near the village of Thomaston, 489 acres in the river track, highly improved and 200 acres under cultivation. He also owns other tracts, containing 3,000 acres with 200 acres under cultivation, and he has one of the handsomest homes in the whole section. His fine residence is on a natural building site, a ridge overlooking the beautiful Guadalupe valley, and he is surrounded by all the comforts of life. His marriage has been blessed by the birth of nine children, three being deceased. They are named as follows: Robert W., N; Bertie, wife of C. E. Kaapke; George S, Mary Ianthe, wife of Rev. A. H. P. McCurdy, William Irvin and three died in childhood. The family holds membership in, the Presbyterian Church.