JAMES G. BLANKS. For many years the name of Mr. Blanks has been inseparably linked with the business history of De Witt County, Texas, whose annals bear testimony to the integrity of his character and the brilliancy of his intel1ect, and is the synonym or honesty, industry and business integrity. At the present time he is occupied in discharging the duties of President of the Yoakum Improvement Company, the Yoakum Oil Mill and Manufacturing Company, at Yoakum, Texas, and has thoroughly illustrated the fact that he is the" right man in the right place." He is a thorough Texan by birth and bringing up, his natal place and day being Lockhart, Caldwell County, September 15, 1862.His parents, John G. and Martha (Montgomery) Blanks were born in Kentucky and Missouri, respectively, but about 1857 the father located in the Lone Star State, and has since given the most of his time and attention to real estate and mercantile interests, proving himself an enterprising and progressive citizen. His father-in-law, John W. Montgomery, came from Pike County, Missouri, at an early day, and here followed the occupations of farming and stock-raising. James G. Blanks was educated in the Missouri State University, and began life for himself by becoming associated in business with his father at Lockhart, with whom he continued from June, 1882 to 1890. Since the last mentioned year he has been in business at Yoakum and assisted in completing the organization of the First National Bank, being soon promoted to the position of Cashier, which he filled two years. During this time he conceived the idea of starting a water-works, electric light company, and an ice factory, and in his usual energetic manner he put these enterprises on foot, in 1892, by organizing the Blanks Ice, Water & Power Company, and erecting the present but, which cost $42,000, the capital stock amounting to $50,000. Nothing but machinery of the most modern make is used, and the plant is a valuable one and a great boon to the citizens of the town. It was sold during the same year that it was organized to the Yoakum Improvement Company, consolidated under that name. Mr. Blanks first held the responsible position of President, and has so continued since it has been connected with the electric light plant, the entire cost of both amounting to $55,000. Mr. Blanks is also a director of the bank, and he is also connected with the oil mill, which will be put in operation during the fall of 1894. Mr. Blank has been at the head of nearly every enterprise that has been started in the place, in fact, has proven himself an ideal public citizen, progressive, public spirited, law abiding, and, since locating in Yoakum, has been of inestimable value to the place, a fact which the citizens are not slow to recognize and acknowledge. Mr. Blanks is the owner of considerable individual town property, and is one of -the well-to-do men of the place. He has the satisfaction of knowing that his possessions have been acquired through his own efforts, and that he does not owe any man a dollar. He was first married in l883 to Miss Annie Hollingsworth, who died in 1884, and in 1886 he wedded Miss Mamie Jordan, of Lockhart, Texas, by whom he has one child-May. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church, and socially he is a member or the K. of P. and the I. O. O. F.