DR. C. B. PHILLIPS, of the medical fraternity in De Witt County enjoys a most extensive practice and is widely known throughout this populous and fertile section of the state. He has built up a large practice by steady devotion to duty and the constant exercise of energy and judgment. Like many of the representative citizens of the county h& came from the East, his birth occurring in Hagarstown, Md., in 1842, and he was third in order of birth of seven children born to David and Sarah (Scott) Phillips, natives of that grand old mother of states, Virginia. The paternal grandfather, Samuel Phillips, was born in England and came to Virginia during the Revolutionary war, participating in that war and taking sides with the colonists. He settled in Washington County, Md., where he was a pioneer, and followed farming-for many years. His death occurred in Hagarstown. The maternal grandfather, William E. Scott, was also a native of England, and on coming to this country settled in the Old Dominion, where he died. He was a flour-broker and miller. The parents of our subject met and were married in Hagarstown, Md. The father afterwards engaged in milling and farming, and when the Civil War broke out he enlisted in the Confederate army from Augusta County, Va., in the Washington Artillery. He participated in many battles, and was killed in the battle of Gordonsville in 1863. His wife, too, passed away during the war. Two of their sons, David and John, served in the Federal army. The former assisted in raising a company, and became Captain of a company in the Seventh Illinois Regiment. He was captured, and probably died in prison. John was killed in battle. Dr. C. B. Phillips grew to mature years in Maryland, and received his education in Mount St, Mary's College, Maryland. On account of his health he was obliged to leave school, and he began the study of medicine in 1858, with Dr. R. N. Wright of Baltimore. In 1860 he attended Jefferson Medical College, and was graduated from Washington University, Baltimore, Md., 1868. About August 1, 1861, he entered the Confederate army as private, Third Virginia Cavalry, and in October he was called before the medical examining board at Richmond, was passed, and made Assistant Surgeon of the Confederate States Volunteers. He served in various hospitals and camps during the war, and was in the Army of Virginia until the close. In 1865 he went to New Orleans, intending to locate. During the Yellow fever epidemic of 1867 he was employed by the Howard Association as surgeon, with which he remained until danger was over. From there he went to Mexico, first to Durango, and then to the City of Mexico, but in the latter part of 1868 he came back to Texas and located in Live Oak County, at Oakville, where he practiced until 1870. He then went to Victoria, Lavaca and De Witt counties, but finally settled at Burns Station in 1873, and has been practicing in that section since. In January, 1894, he partially withdrew from general practice, and is now treating specially the morphine, liquor and kindred habits by the bi-chloride of gold method. He has an office in Cuero, but is often called in consultation in adjoining counties. Dr. Phillips was married in 1872 to Miss Fannie E. Alkinson, a native of Tennessee, who came to Texas when a child. One son has been born to this union, Calvin B. Phillips.