PersonalBirtie Mae Smyer was born August 26, 1881 in Whitener, Madison County, Arkansas, daughter of James Smyer and Dovie Whitener. She married Thomas Edgar Vaughan on July 4, 1901 in Hindsville, Madison County, Arkansas. Thomas was born September 15, 1882 in Whitener, Madison County, Arkansas, and died January 8, 1911 in Whitener, Madison County, Arkansas. He was the son of Issac Vaughan and Jane Hawk.
Children of Thomas Vaughan and Birtie Smyer are:
- 1. Cuba Jewel Vaughan, born July 31, 1902, Whitener, Madison Co., Ark.
- 2. Grady Lee Vaughan, born July 21, 1904, Whitener, Madison Co., Ark; died May 20, 1978, Crosbyton, Crosby Co., TX.
- 3. Guy Isaac Vaughan, born February 14, 1906, Whitener, Madison Co., Ark; died July 15, 1987.
- 4. Clarence Albert Vaughan, born September 17, 1908, Whitener, Madison Co., Ark.; died September 28, 1992, Andrews Co., Andrews, TX.
- 5. Smyer Thomas Vaughan, born July 18, 1910, Whitener, Madison Co., Ark.; died November 3, 1984, Snyder, TX.
ObituaryCrosby County lost another of her early settlers last Tuesday, Feb. 8, when Mrs. Bertie Mae Vaughn of Ralls was claimed by death about 5 p.m. The 95 year old Mrs. Vaughn succumbed in Crosbyton Clinic Hospital following a brief illness.
She has been a resident of this county for 66 years.
Memorial services were at 2 p.m. Thursday in the Emma Church of Christ in Ralls. Creed Mullins, minister, officiated. Interment was made in Ralls Cemetery.
Born Aug. 26, 1881 in Whitener, Ark., she and Thomas Vaughn were married in Arkansas. Following the death of her husband in 1910, Mrs. Vaughn moved with her children to Old Emma the following year, 1911.
Survivors include four sons, Lee Vaughn, Smyer Vaughn, and Guy Vaughn, all of Ralls, and Clarence Vaughn of Barstow; one daughter, Mrs. Jewell Crowley of Booneville, Ark.; 24 grandchildren; 57 great grandchildren, and several great great grandchildren.
Grandsons served as pallbearers.
Crosbyton Review, February 17, 1977Record provided by Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum