The Ozona Stockman, Ave E., weekly newspaper has provided continuous coverage since 1892.
In 1892 Claude B. Hudspeth (1877-1941) began publication of a weekly newspaper called the "Ozona Kicker." Following his three-year ownership, Hudspeth entered politics, serving first in the Texas Legislature and later as representative from the Sixteenth Texas District to the United States Congress. The newspaper was published by later owners as the "Enterprise," "Courier," and "Optimist." When County Judge Charles E. Davidson purchased the operation in 1913, he changed the name to "Ozona Stockman" to reflect the important role of cattlemen and the ranching industry in the development of Crockett County and the surrounding area. W. Evart White took over as publisher and editor in 1926. A native of Tom Green County, he had served on newspaper staffs in Austin, San Angelo, San Antonio, and Cuero before purchasing the "Stockman." Under his leadership the content and format of the paper were changed to match the style of leading daily publications. In 1941 White directed the work on an 88-page special edition. Printed in honor of Crockett County's 50th anniversary, it was considered a major achievement for the staff of a weekly paper. White retired in 1972 after 46 years with the "Stockman."