Fort Lancaster Memorial Marker
Photo Donated by Clayton Hooper,Fort Lancaster, C.S.A., town square, 11th Street, erected as memorial to Texans who served in Confederacy at Fort Lancaster.
- Site 33 miles west on US 90. Upon US surrender Texas Forts start of Civil War, made part Confederate far western frontier line. Occupied by 2nd Texas cavalry. On supply line to and from Arizona-New Mexico Campaign 1861-62, intended to make Confederacy an ocean to ocean nation. When regular patrols to guard supply trains and check Indian activities grew dull, life spiced by camp newspaper and nightly sport of shooting pesky coyotes. A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy Erected by the State of Texas 1963