Burials in the
Rolla Cemetery apparently began in the early
1900's. County records show that in 1910 Mr. P.
A. Hogan deeded two acres to J. K. Duke, County
Judge, for a school. Mr. and Mrs. Tom Berry are
of the opinion that he included in his gift
enough land for a church and a cemetery.
According to all the legible markers, Mr. A. C.
Maxwell, who died May 17, 1912, was the first to
be buried here. The Hogans sold their land years
ago and left the area. Some people believe that
some of their family were buried here, also. The
last interment was that of Mrs. G. R. (Ada)
Morgan, who died in 1964. Some of the graves are
so covered with sand and wild growth that the
inscriptions are buried.
Mrs. Lee Ella Seale Recorder, Rolla Cemetery
Rolla Cemetery may be located by leaving Highway
No. 83 at the southeast corner of Wellington;
going west on Farm Road No. 338 exactly 9 miles
(a winding road); then turning left. This
cemetery lies about a mile south of this corner
between the old church and school buildings. They
are visible from Farm Road No. 338. These
landmarks have been in disuse for quite a number
of years. For this reason, it was impossible to
record the burial places in rows.
Permission is given to copy
small portions of this website for personal use only.
This entire file and/or website may not be copied or
duplicated. Commercial use is prohibited without
expressed written permission. That includes, but is not
limited to, all photographs.