|Oneida County Cemeteries||Site Index|
The location of St. Peter's Cemetery is on Verona Mills Road, in the hamlet of Churchville, town of Verona, Oneida County, New York. On the original site of St. Peter's Lutheran Church stands a gazebo. The following inscription was taken from a plaque in the gazebo.
"This is the original site of St. Peter's Lutheran Church, the oldest Lutheran congregation in Oneida County, founded in 1831.
Built between 1836 and 1840, the original structure housed the first parochial school and Sunday school, as well as Sunday Services.
The congregation added a Sunday school addition in 1907 and a parsonage in 1910. Renovations on the interior of the church began in 1931 to celebrate the centennial of the church and included the addition of a pipe organ, an enlarged heating plant and a complete kitchen and were completed in 1936.
Ten year late, in 1941, the original bell was installed.
The congregation moved to St. Peter's in a new structure in 1995, however, the spirit of the original site remains."
The tombstones in this cemetery were transcribed by Bea Lastowicka and Claudia Stedman in July 2006