County, Tennessee Historical & Genealogical Society
was organized in June of 1978 with fourteen charter
members. Charter members were Charlotte Reynolds,
Pansy Baker, Col. James Corbitt, Joe Richardson, Shirley
Buckley, Joan Butler, Martha Hutchens, Justine Erwin,
June Simmons, June Waterfield, Zula Capps, Robbie
Elliott, Lucile Sharrock, and Charles Tyner. As of
today the society has had almost 900 members present and
past being scattered all across the United States and in
some foreign countries.
The mission of the Weakley County
Historical & Genealogical Society is to bring
together those persons interested in the history of
Weakley County for the purpose of collecting,
preserving, and the sharing of all things relating to
the various aspects of the history of the
county. This information is made available to
the public through publications done by the Society
and individual members; publication in the quarterly
member newsletter published since April, 1982, the
Forget Me Not; submission to the MaryCarol's Weakley
Website; and the files located in our
special collections room at Weldon Public Library, 100
Main Street, 3rd floor, Martin, Tennessee.
Regular Society meetings are the
3rd Monday night of each month, 7:00 p.m., 3rd floor,
Weldon Public Library. All persons are invited
to attend. WCH&GS annual dues are $15.00,
and may be submitted to the Society at P. O. Box
894, Martin, Tennessee 38237. New members
will receive a form to fill in and return.
Membership in the Society and
sales of our publications make continued preservation
work possible. All monies generated are used to
further the mission of the Society, a not for profit,
(501(c) 3) organization. Contributions to the Society
over the actual $15.00 annual dues are tax
Material submissions and queries
from individuals are invited for consideration for
publication in the newsletter as space permits, and
are available to the public for research in the
Surname/Places Files in our special collections
room. Submission of any and all material
is deemed consent for publication and public viewing,
unless otherwise specifically indicated.
2017 Officers of WCGS: If you need to contact WCGS send an email to Mike Rea at email@example.comPresident~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Mike Rea
Treasurer~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Mary Ann Baxter
Corresponding Secretary~~~~~~Mary Ann Rea
Recording Secretary~~~~~~~~~~~Laurie Pritchett
Board of Directors:
REFERENCE BOOKS AVAILABLE
1. WEAKLEY COUNTY CEMETERIES.....Through 1978. Compiled by James Buckley Chapter, DAR. 2nd printing, Two Volumes, 1100 pages, indexed, covers over 450 burial sites. Two cemeteries corrected, Sunrise and West Union. Includes covers, 3 holes drilled, will fit loose leaf binders.
Order Cemetery Books
$75.00 plus $5.00 mailing
2. WEAKLEY COUNTY CEMETERIES UPDATE, Compiled by Janice Cole Crider, 1978- August 31, 2000. 3-ring notebook with over 10,000 people listed. Available in printed or CD Rom. NOTE: feb 2017 - these are not available at this time.
Order Book or CD Rom
plus $6.00 mailing
3. PEOPLE AND PLACES OF DOWNTOWN MARTIN, by Virginia C. Vaughan, Weakley. 8 1/2 x 11 1/4, second printing, October 1998 (first printing August 1997). 216 pages featuring hundreds of photos and historical facts of Martin, Tennessee.
Order from: Price $35.00 plus $5.00
4. THEY SERVED THE FLAG: The Second World War Veterans of Weakley County, Tennessee, compiled by Richard Saunders and Marvin L. Downing ( Mountain Press). Lists veterans appearing on the War Records Bureau List, additional names appearing in county newspapers (including those who did not serve), and UTJC students and the Navy's V-5 cadets. Cites newspapers noting inductions, obituaries, or discharges, abailable between October 1940 and December 1946.
Oder from: Price $16.00
WEAKLEY REMEMBERED Vols. I, II, III and IV- Compiled by Pansy Baker and
*Weakley Remembered Vol. I ,
200 pages, indexed, includes 1836 Weakley County
Map, Specifications of Weakley County, Col. John A.
Gardner Address Excerpts, Weakley County Grants,
1794-1844, Weakley County Tax List 1828 and 1843,
Will Book A abstracts, 1828-1942, Will Book B
Abstracts, 1840-1861 and Guardian Book “ Book A”.
BOOKS MAY BE ORDERED
1. WEAKLEY COUNTY FAMILY HISTORY BOOK.....384 pages, photos, maps, illustrations. Bound burgundy leatherette cover includes history of Weakley County by Virginia C. Vaughan and more than 700 family histories. $57.50 + 6.00 Shipping
2. WEAKLEY COUNTY TN MARRIAGES - Vol I ... 1843-Sept 4, 1863. 1790 entries, indexed. soft cover, spiral bound. (Reprinted March, 2002) $12.00
3. WEAKLEY COUNTY, TN MARRIAGES - Vol II...Sept 4, 1863-1878, 3,300 marriages, indexed, 146 pages, soft cover with Vel-O-Bind. $12.00
4. WEAKLEY COUNTY, TN MARRIAGES - Vol III...July 9, 1878-Nov. 20, 1886, 1800 marriages, indexed, soft cover, spiral bound. Compiled by Lucille Adams Smith. $12.00
5. WEAKLEY COUNTY 1880 CENSUS........Two volume set covering the 18 civil districts of Weakley County, TN. About 514 pages, Vel-O-Bind with soft covers and surname index. $25.00
6. WEAKLEY COUNTY "FORGET ME NOT" QUARTERLIES ...back issues of the quarterlies are available. $10.00 for 4 (1 year) or $2.50 by single issue. *Remember - you get currant issues of quarterlies with your WCGS membership.
7. WEAKLEY COUNTY, TENNESSEE
MARRIAGES Volumes I, II, and III now available on
CD. Includes all 3 volumes: 1843-Sept. 4, 1863;
Sept. 4, 1863-1878; July 9, 1878-Nov. 20,
plus $3.00 mailing.
*** Obit BOOKS - ***
WEAKLEY COUNTY, TENNESSEE -
OBITUARY BOOKS ** NOTE: These
are not available at this time
The Weakley County Historical & Genealogy Society is proud to announce the availability of Obituary Books for Weakley County, Tennessee for the years 1964 - 2010. Each book is indexed and contains one year of obituaries.
This is an ongoing project. Books are offered, unbound, without holes.
Prices are as follows:
Orders of less than 10 books and more than one, email Janice Crider for mailing estimates
Please send orders to the following address:
Weakley County Historical
& Genealogy Society
Left to Right : Marie Bradberry Bowers, Jean Tilley Bradberry, Pansy Nanney Baker, MaryCarol Schrupp, Janice Cole Crider, Doris Nell Sloan, and Mary Ann Davis Baxter - 2003 - photo by Fred Schrupp
Explaining to the ladies what happened to my hand - Brown Recluse Spider bite - 2003 Photo by Fred Schrupp
June 2010 WCGS meetingA real log cabin (restored) on member Lois Simmons' farm on Snake Hill Road, Dresden. It was built by her Great-Grandfather.
|2017 Officers and Directors of Weakley
County Historical & Genealogy Society.
Standing left to right: Bill Austin, Director; Mike Thompson of Dresden Archives; Mike Rea, President; Greg Roach, Vice President; Roberta Peacock, Director.
Front Row seated: Laurie Pritchett, Secretary; Mary Ann Baxter, Treasurer; Mary Ann Rea, Corresponding Secretary; Jean Bradberry, Director.
& Graphic Designs by MaryCarol