Historical Newspaper Articles Relating to Weakley County
Early Newspapers from around the country

Even if your Kinfolk are not here, this makes for some mighty interesting reading!
  Submitted by Peggy Miller Trevathan
Historical Newspapers-MCDANIEL - ATKINSON - ADKERSON
District of Columbia
A brutal affray took place at Dresden, Weakley county (Tenn) on Saturday, the 19th ultimo, between Frank McDaniel and Joseph Atkinson, brothers-in-law, both of Weakley county, in which the latter received three severe stabs from the former with a shank of a pit-saw file, which caused almost instantaneous death. Both parties to the affray were under the excitement of drink at the time of its occurrence.

1842-12-13 PUBLIC  LEDGER-Pennsylvania An affray took place at Dresden, Weakley county, Tennessee, on the 19th ult., between Frank McDaniel and Joseph Adkerson, brothers-in-law, in which the latter received three severe stabs from the former, with the shank of a pit saw file, which caused almost instantaneous death.  McDaniel was immediately secured in prison.  Both were intoxicated.

Historical Newspapers-GALLAWAY/GALLOWAY
1843-04-13-NORTH  AMERICAN-Pennsylvania LUSUS NATUR??-A hen belonging to Benj. Gallaway, Esq., of Weakley county, Tennessee, was some time ago bitten by a rattlesnake but by proper attention, the would was cured.  However, strange to tell, we are informed that every egg laid since that time by this hen has a picture of a  rattle snake represented upon the shell. Mr. Gallaway, who is afraid to use these eggs in the family, has kept them, and will with pleasure exhibit them to the inspection of the incredulous. -Mills Pt. Herald.

Historical Newspapers-FINCH
District of Columbia
Melancholy Casualty.-Mr. John Wesley Finch and his wife met with a melancholy death of the 21st instant, near Abingdon, Virginia. they were travelling, and had encamped for the night about six miles west of Abingdon, and were quietly resposing in their carryall, together with a nephew, when the horse, being tethered to the wheel, took fright, turned the wagon bottom upwards, and the two old people were suffocated before they could be relieved.  The young man who was with them states that they were returning from a visit in North Carolina to their residence near Dresden, Weakley county, Tennessee.

1846-08-31-NORTH  AMERICAN-Pennsylvania
same article as above

Historical Newspapers-TAYLOR
1849-04-25-NORTH  AMERICAN-Pennsylvania Death of an Emigrant-Mr. A. P. Taylor an  emigrant to California, from Dresden, Tenn. accidentally fell overboard from the steamer Kate Kirkwood, about twenty miles below Pine Bluff, (Ark.) a short time since. He had around him, in a belt, some  $500 in gold and silver, belonging to himself and a friend, and this caused him to sink almost  instantly.

Historical Newspapers-LENNOX/LENOX
1850-12-16-TIMES-PICAYUNE-Louisiana Near Dresden, Tenn.,-Thomas Lennox was killed by his gun going off accidentally.

Historical Newspapers-POTTS - AUSBROOK
1855-06-21-NORTHERN ISLANDER-Michigan
ELOPEMENT.-We understand, from  good authority, that a Mrs. Potts, wife of a highly respectable citizen of Henry county, has left the bed and board of her husband for parts unknown, with a Mr. Ausbrook, a reverend gentleman.  Ausbrook had been preaching in that vicinity, and boarding at Potts' house for several months previous to the elopement.-Dresden (Tenn.) Flag.

This is the sixth instance that has come under our notice during the  last four weeks of clergymen running off with other persons' wives.-Free  Press

 Historical Newspapers-HILL
1870-05-26-QUINCY WHIG-Illinois
A Man Shoots His Brother Through the  Heart At Jacksonville, Weakley county, Tennessee, on the 16th instant, Dan Hill, aged seventeen years, shot his brother, Brock Hill, to death with a pistol.  Brock Hill rode the colt belonging to Dan Hill, who so engrage the latter that he swore he would kill his brother on sight.  In a few hours Brock Hill returned to the house, the residence of their father, and was met by Dan, who immediately fired upon hin, shooting him through the heart and killing him instantly.  The fratricide was arrested and committed to jail to answer the charege of murder.  The parties are of good family and well connected.  Great indignatuion and excitement was created in the neighborhood on account of the murder.   So far from repenting the terrible deed, Dan Hill declares that he does not regret it, and would do so again under like circumstances.  The brothers were on good terms up to the time when the sad affair occurred and no reason can be assigned for the rash asct except violent passion and utter recklessness with value of human life, and a total disregard for the natural ties of consanguinity.

Historical Newspapers-MOORE - HILL
In Weakley county, Tenn.,  recently, two horsemen, Albert Moore and a Mr. Hill, entered into a religious discussion, the former being a Methodist and the latter a Baptist, but unbaptized.  Arrived at a puddle of water, Moore wanted to baptize his brother sinner, and pulled him off his horse into the water, but hadn't the muscle to enforce his kindly piety, and had to give it up.  "Now, Moore," said the other, "I'll baptize you, " and he swooped up a hat-full of muddy water on to Moore's head and face.  The regeneration thus effected was, however, hardly skin deep, for Moore drew a bowie-knife and began to slash the ecclesiastic.  Hill received generous cuts in his legs and arms, and Moore fled the country.


1876-02-03-NEW ORLEANS TIMES-Louisiana
The End of an Old  Feud Nashville, Feb 2-In an altercation at Dresden, Weakley county, James Lampkin shot Ben Rogers dead.  An old feud.

Historical Newspapers-SWAIM - TAYLOR
1884-10-30-NEW YORK HERALD-New York
Death By Poison
[By Telegraph to  the Herald]
Nashville, Tenn. Oct. 29, 1884-Andrew Swaim, a prominent citizen of Gleason, Weakley county, was poisoned two days ago and died last night.  A man named Taylor has been charged with the crime.  Taylor has been imprisoned and there are threats of lynching him.

 Historical Newspapers-HAYS/HAYES
1890-09-27-DAILY REGISTER-Illinois
Tennessee Superstition
The  greatest excitement is being created in Weakley county by the appearance of a witch in the family of Frank Hays, living near Greenfield.  Mr. Hays' granddaughter, about 14 years of age, is the object upon which the wicked phantom has centered. The young lady is prostrated and hundreds are flocking there to see the effects of the attack, which, strange to say, no one can explain.  She is perfectly sane until she hears them coming, when she goes into violent spasms, and declares she can hear roaring as like distant thunder, and she can see animals making their way to her.Now comes the strangest part of the story, and a number of the most reliable men in the county can vouch for this as a fact, there being eyewitnesses to the same.  After each attack a small roll or bat of cotton is found clinging to the victim's neck just above her breast, and the most incredible ones have held their hands very lightly against her neck and found, after the spell is over, beneath their hands the mysterious cotton.  When the rumor first went out that this strange case was in the country the people all ridiculed it, but the excitement is now at its height on the account of all being at a loss to account for the whole  affair.-Cor. Memphis Avalance.

Historical Newspapers-GALEY
1892-05-09-DALLAS MORNING NEWS-Texas
A young man named  Galey, a farmer in the fifteenth district of Weakley county, shot his uncle through the leg.  The farms of the two men joined.  The uncle was trying to shoot Galey with a shotgun at the time the young man fired.

Historical Newspapers-HAWKS - TURBEVILLE - LAFEN/LAFON
1892-07-17-DALLAS MORNING NEWS-Texas
The Hawks and  Turbeville families in Weakley county have beenat touts for some time.  Turbeville trespassed on Hawks' land and was assaulted by Hawks.  Warrants for the Hawks' arrest were at once sworn out and he was arrested.  The trial was held at Dresden and at its conclusion a general fight resulted between the four Turbeville brothers and old man Hawks and his three sons.  Jack Hawks fired at Jack Turbeville and was knocked down with a brick. Henry Trubeville was stabbed twice and dangerously wounded.  Sheriff Lafen succeeded in separating the parties before further danage was done, but a renewal of the fight is expected.

1892-12-14-KALAMAZOO GAZETTE-Michigan
His name is Cleveland  Stevenson.The leading attraction in the town of Martin, Tenn., just now is a 13-year-old boy with a remarkable name.  Cleveland Stevenson is the youngest son of W. W. Stevenson of that place.  He was born at Mount Pelia, Weakley county, Tenn., in 1879.  His father at his birth asked the attending physician to name the child.  The doctor had just arrived from Buffalo, N. Y.  He was a personal friend of Grover Cleveland, who was then mayor of Buffalo.  So he said to mr. Stevenson:  "Let's name him Cleveland Stevenson, after a man who, if he live will be president of the United States."  So they had the child christened Cleveland Stevenson.  Now that he has the name of both the president and vice persident-elect the boy is fairly worshipped.  The boy's friends are going to send him to Washington the 4th of March in great style to witness the inauguration of the president.-St. Louis Glove-Democrat.

Historical Newspapers-CAPPS
1894-7-26-BISMARK TRIBUNE-North Dakota
Capps, is serving a term in jail  for working on Sunday.  Capps was arrested June 8, 1893, he was fined $10 and costs, amounting in all to $51.80.  His case was appealed to the supreme court of Tennessee, which affirmed the judgment of the lower court, May 24, 1894, at Jackson, fixing the cost at $58.64, making as a grand total the sum of $110.45, to be served out at the paltry rate of 25 cents a day.  This will necessitate the prisoner's confinement 442 days, or one year and nearly three months. The associate further says that Capps has a wife 24 years of age, and four children, the eldest being only 6 years old, and one of them sick at the time of its father's imprisonment.  His family is left all alone a quarter of a mile from any house.  He is a poor man, and unable to support his family during his confinement.  He does not deny working on Sunday, but did so because he had rested the day before, according to the Bible; because he recognized his God given right to labor six days in the week, beginning on the first as did his creator; and because, in acceding to the demands of the state to rest on Sunday, he would be denying his Lord.  Hence, he refuses to pay the fine and costs, regarding them unjust, since the state is attempting to enforce upon him a dogma of religion, with which it can of right have nothing whoever to do. Therefore he has gone to jail, though a physician stated that he could never live in that unhealthy place the time required by the enormity of the state's assessment.

Historical Newspapers-CATE - PENIC/PENICK - HUTCHINSON
A Suit Without Parallel
Memphis (Tenn.)  Lawyers have within the last couple of days brought suit in Weakley county for damages for defamation of character, alleged to be contained in an epitaph cut on a tombstone.  Such a cause for action is probably unheard of in the annals of the courts of the country.  In December, 1896, L. B.  Cate was shot and killed by one Bill Penic. Penic was indicted and tried on the charge of murder.  He was defended by the same lawyers who are now acting for him in this civil suit. The accused was acquitted on the pleas of self-defense.  The parents of the deceased, L. B. Cate, thought to honor his memory by erecting a suitable tombstone over his grave, and having cut in the marble a legend setting forth some of the circumstances of his taking off.  The following was cut on the tombstone:"L. B., son of J. C. and L. J. Cate.  Born April 10, 1870.  Married Willie Freeman December 21, 1887.  Was shot and killed by Bill Penic December 11, 1896:  caused by Penic swearing to a lie on Cate's wife.  Aged 26 years 8 months and 1 day."

It is alleged by Penic that  this stone was lettered by J. H. Hutchinson, of Martin, and it is alleged that the stone was exposed to public gaze in the yard of Hutchinson for quite a while before it was erected at the head of the grave containing the remains of the deceased Cate.  Since the vindication of Penic by the trial jury in Weakley county he has sought reparation for the wording of this tombstone.  The complainant seeks damages from the sculptor and the father of the deceased in the sum of $10,000.

Historical Newspapers-BRUCE
1899-05-17-MORNING SUN-Illinois
A Rockford lady bought a box of  strawberries at her grocer's last week and took them home wrapped up. When they were being prepared for the table she noticed that the box had been written on, and on looking more closely she made out the following, much stained by the juice of the berries:

"Any one wishing an unknown correspondent
address to Gladys Bruce, Sharon, Tenn., Weakley county."

On the other side of the box was written:
"Gladys  Bruce-I am the packer of these

Who is Gladys?  Is she a winsome maiden with the color of the strawberries she packs on her cheeks and the glint of the sunlight in her hair?  Is she a dark-eyed beauty of the Southern state, tall and stately, or is she short and cherubic?The answer to all these surmises can be obtained by addressing the lady herself at the above address.  Perhaps this is the commencement of a romance. Who knows?

Historical Newspapers-PITTMAN - HUBBARD
1900-08-26-DALLAS MORNING NEWS- Texas
Arthur Pittman, Greenville,  Tex- Mr. Big Hat-  I inclose herewith my picture for publication in The News.  It is very seldom I allow a newspaper the privildge of using my picture, but since The News has done so much toward strengthening my wonderful knowledge I feel that it should be endowed with the privilege.  I was born on March 2, 1880, near Milan, Gibson County, Tennessee.  My first ten years were spent on a farm, so you see that when I shall have reached the topmost round on the ladder of fame I can boast of having been born on a farm and in a log cabin.  In, 1890 I changed my place of abode to Greenfield, Weakley County, Tennessee, where I resided till 1897, when I decided to cast my fortunes with Texas.  My education is limited, owing to the fact that I stopped going to school at the age of 12 to assume work in a factory.  Eugene Hubbard, you expressed my sentiments to a "t" on every subject you touched.   Look out for me on Oct. 6. (Hand drawn picture in  article] Correspondence solicited.

Historical Newspapers-PAGE - BRUMMITT -  BANDY -  BLEDSOE
T1902-11-29-WASHINGTON BEE-District of Columbia
Fourteen Conflagrations in Forty-Eight  Hours Terrify a Family Down in Tennessee.Residents of Weakley county,  Tenn., are stirred up over a series of mysterious fires that have been breaking out in the house of Josiah Page, about two miles from the town of Gleason.  The first blaze sprung from apparently no cause whatever last Thursday, and was promptly extinguished by Page and his family.  Not more than an hour later the house was again discovered on fire, in a different place, and the blaze was again extinguished.  By this time the family was excited, and they began to hunt for the cause of the mystery.  Then even while they were looking at the house another blaze was seen creeping out near the roof.Persons from Gleason heard of  the occurrence, and to satisfy curiosity A. S. Brummitt, president of the bank of Gleason, in company with Dr. Bandy, Dr. Bledsoe and other responsible citizens, went out to be convinced that there was nothing at all in it.The party had not been there more than 15 minutes when, to their surprise a blaze was seen shooting out from the roof of the house, and to make the proposition more unreasonable, after that was put out other fires started in less than 30 minutes.The members of the family are  honest people of average intelligence and are terror stricken, having removed everything from the building and taken their household goods to other quarters.  Fire had broken out 14 time in 48 hours, and hundreds of people are flocking out to witness the sight.  The writer of this drove out to the place and, though incredulous, stood and saw the fire start from the west gable of the house, though no one was within 50 feet of the building.  The whole community is wrought up over the matter.

Historical Newspapers-McCLAIN -  CANTER
1905-03-13-MACON TELEGRAPH-Georgia
March 12-In a shooting affray with pistols at Lynnville, Ky., a line town in the northern portion of Weakley county, Bert McClain, aged 17, was instantly killed by John Canter, who in turn was killed by Walter McClain of Dresden. There are no particulars yet as to what the trouble was about.

Historical Newspapers-CASTLEMAN
1906-08-23-MARIETTA JOURNAL-Georgia
Jospeh Castleman, living in Weakley  county, Tenn., called at the home of his divorced wife and killed her with a shot gun and instantly killed himself with the gun.  He was 60 years old and she was 50.

Historical Newspapers-ACREE - PIERCE/PEARCE - NEAL
1908-09-29-TRENTON EVENING TIMES-New Jersey
HOLD WEDDING IN CEMETERYYoung Couple Choose Odd Place to Escape Parents
MEMPHIS, TENN., Sept. 29.-Although he procured his license in the office adjoining that of his father, who is Sheriff of Weakley County, Tenn., the marriage of Lewis Acree to Ollie Pierce, sixteen years old, was not revealed until the records were searched and the secret was discovered.They were married by Justice  Neal under a monument in the cemetery at Dresden.  The couple and the justice went to the cemetery in order that the ceremony might not be interrupted by the parents of Miss Pierce, who objected to the marriage.

Historical Newspapers-VAUGHAN/VAUGHN
1908-12-17-GRAND FORKS HERALD-North Dakota
NIGHT RIDERS LEAVE  NOTICE Union City, Tenn., Dec. 16.-Night riders have made their appearance in Weakley county, visiting the home of John Vaughan, a prominent farmer, who is not a member of the dark tobacco association.  He sold some of his crop at Fulton, Ky., and a night or two ago night riders left at this door a bundle of switches, accompanied with a note to effect that if any more tobacco was sold in a similar way, he would be whipped.  Deputies are now guarding his home.

Historical Newspapers- MORRIS - CURLIN - GIBBS - RANKIN - HOGG - LONG - JONES
1909-01-03-AUGUSTA CHRONICLE-Georgia
Conscience-Stricken She Tells the Truth
Mrs.  Morris On Being Recalled Said Husband Was Not at Home-Hurried From County Under Guard Union City, Tenn., Jan 2.-The defense rested its case in the night rider trials this afternoon and the state began its rebuttal testimony which will be concluded Monday.  The grand jury likewise made its final return, including several indictments, and was discharged. When court adjourned until Monday Mrs. Wade Morris, whose sensational confession of perjury today was the star feature of the trial accompanied by her husband and baby, under the protection of six soldiers left for Dresden, Weakley county, where she will live in the future.  She was in such terror of her life that she did not even wait to get her other two children or her personal effects.The state put but one witness on the stand before adjourning.  Bob Curlin, driver of the hack which plies between Union City and Walnut Log, on the Lake.  Curlin drove some of the defense's witnesses to Walnut Log the night the fish docks were burned and saw them leave his conveyance to join the night riders.On cross examination he said he took two quarts of whiskey with him on the drive and at the end of it had a little less than a quart left.  Asked if this had no made him "feel his oats," he grew indignant and replied:  "What, drunk on a quart in an hour's drive?  Why, I can prove by Uncle Bill Gibbs that I drink a quart before breakfast and never feel it."Asserting that on the witness stand yesterday she had deliberately perjured herself for the defense and conscience-stricken, desired to tell the truth, Mrs. Morris, wife of one of the eight alleged night riders, asked to be recalled today.

Wad Morris swore he was present the night Captain Rankin was killed and recognized some of the defendants.  Mrs. Morris, his wife, on the stand yesterday, swore that her husband was home that night. She left the stand pale and trembling and sent for the attorney general."I have done a great wrong," she said.  "I have told a lie.  My husband was not at home that night.  He was with the riders.   I was forced by my relatives to testify as I did.  I want to see my husband."Her brother-in-law tried to get her to  leave the city with him but the attorney general ordered him away and took Mrs. Morris to her husband.  The meeting of the young husband and wife, separated since October 30, was silent but pathetic. After alibi witnesses had been called today the attorney general asked that Mrs. Morris be permitted to correct her testimony.  She took the stand and said:"I was persuaded to tell a lie yesterday on the stand.  I was told by Joe Hogg and Jack Long that unless I swore that my husband was at home that night the soldiers would hang him.  They also threatened me and I was afraid, so I told this lie.  Now I want to tell the truth."The witness bore the taunts and innuendoes of the defendant's attorneys and the glares of the indicted men patiently but she was badly frightened, and often seemed on the point of collapsing.  She declared the attorney general refused to listen to her until she summoned some of her relatives to advise her.The defense attempted to show that some of the accused men were Odd Fellows.  Judge Jones sharply shut out the testimony with the remark; "Odd Fellows must be tried the same as anyone else in this court."

Historical Newspapers-EZELL/EZZELL
1912-11-22-NEW ORLEANS ITEM-Louisiana
NASHVILLE, Tenn., Nov. 22.-Mason Ezell, 91, for 66 years a member of the Masonic order, died yesterday at this home in Weakley
county.  He was the oldest Mason in the state.

Historical Newspapers-COUCH - GREEN - STARK - ADAMS - BRAGG
1917-05-29-NEW ORLEANS STATES-Louisiana
[Long article about killer  tornado.]
The known Tennessee dead are: Carroll county:  Milton  Couch, Mrs. Couch, Mrs. Caroline Green, Mrs. William A. Green.
Weakley county:  John  Stark, Ike Adams, Mrs. William Bragg.
[Among others in  Tennessee.]

Historical Newspapers- EPSTEIN - SHAFER-  ROSENFIELD
Burlington Shooting  Case---More Developments
We find the following in the Rock Island  Union, in regard to the parties concerned in the shooting affair at the Burlingtonhouse Saturday morning: The woman's name is not Moore, as  registered at the hotel, but Shafer.  Her husband kept a hotel in Dresden, Tennessee, and Epstein, being in business there, since the war, boarded at the hotel.  He left there with the purpose of going to Europe and was as far as Cincinnati on his way, when, it being about the time of the German war, the Consul at that city advised him not to go. He then came to Rock Island.  In the meantime, a certain doctor at Dresden, who bore him no good will, informed Shafer that Epstein had been on terms of improper intimacy with his wife.  Mrs. Shafer denied the charge; but her husband was enraged, and told her she could no longer live with him, unless she shot Epstein.  He bought her a pair of Deringer pistols and about two months ago she arrived in this city with a little son, about eleven years of age.  She stopped at the Rock Island house, and left word at Rosenfield & Epstein's jewelry store, that "Mrs. Moore," of Tennessee, wanted to see Mr. Epstein, brother of Mr. Rosenfield's partner, at the hotel.  Moore was the name of a lady Mr. Epstein knew at Unionville, Tenn.  When he went to the hotel, he met Mrs. Shafer.  She told him the mission her husband had sent her on and showed him the pistols, but declared she could not shoot him.  With this assurance he felt safe.  She stayed about a week and then returned to her home.  Not having fulfilled her mission in failing to shoot Epstein, it is presumed her husband still refused to live with her.  Yesterday morning, a week ago, she again arrived in Rock Island by the Chicago train, getting off as Epstein was getting on, to go down to Muscatine.  She demanded an interview with him.  He replied that he was just starting away.  She got on the train and followed him hown to Muscatine.  On Friday they both left there on the steamer New Boston, for Burlington.The finale after arriving in  Burlington is already known to the public.

Mr. Epstein's brother arrived here a day or two since and it was expected the trial would take place Wednesday, but Mrs. Moore alias Shafer was sick and could not attend.  Mr. Epstein and brother left for their homes in Rock Island yesterday, so that  it is uncertain when the trial will take place now.  The woman is still sick.-Burlington Argus.

Historical Newspapers-CARLTON
(Scripps-McRae Press.)
Nashville, Tenn., May 5.-Thomas Carlton as  farmer of Gleason, Tenn., is dead as the result of an encounter with bees.   The bees swarmed on a limb which Carlton attempted to cut.  They attacked  his head and face.  Death came in a few  hours.

Historical Newspapers- EVANS
Mother and Child Dangerously Burned When Infant Turns Boiling Pot Over Upon Kitchen Stove
Special to The Telegram.
GLEASON, Tenn., May 9.-Mrs.  Luther Evans and baby were scalded by boiling coffee and the chances are against  the recovery of either.   The mother was cooking with the baby in her  arms, and the little one pulled the coffee pot from the stove.

Historical Newspapers- JONES
Murder at Greenfield,  Tenn.
LOUISVILLE, August 19.-A special to the Commercial from Paducah  says:  At Greenfield, Tenn., a little village on the Chicago, St. Louis and  New Orleans road, between Milan and Fulton, last Monday, Mr. Dick Jones, a  merchant, had a fuss with a drunken man in his store and struck him with an  axe-handle on the head, killing him almost instantly. Jones skipped out and has  not been heard of.

Historical Newspapers- LANE
1905-10-04-JONESBORO WEEKLY SUN-Arkansas
Tennessean Injured in St.  Louis
St. Louis, Sept 18.-Thomas B. Lane, 71, of Greenfield, Tenn., fell  through a hatchway on the steamer Ferd Herold, anchored at the foot of Chesnut  street, and sustained injuries that may cause his  death.

Historical Newspapers- GROOMS
J. Fred Grooms, aged 29 years, of  Greenfield, Tenn., died yesterday at a hospital.  He is survived by his  wife, father and mother.  The body was taken to Greenfield last evening by  the wife and father.

Historical Newspapers- DAVIS - GOWAN - GARDNER
1889-08-02-THE HICKMAN COURIER-Kentucky
The  Secretary of a Farmers Organization Suicides Because of a ShortageThe  Tennessee State Wheel, a farmers' organization, recently held its annual session  at Nashville. A resolution was passed to investigate the books of the secretary  and treasurer.  Before the investigation the secretary disappeared.   His name was W. T. Davis, and he was from Weakley county, West Tennessee, and he  was known to many of our tobacco men.  An investigation revealed a shortage  of $2,000 in his accounts, and a note was found reading as follows:
"NASHVILLE, TENN. July 22, 1889.
"Mr. A. G. Gowan:
"Dear  Sir-You will find the books of the Wheel at No. 407 North Summer street and my  body in the Cumberland river.  I am tired of life and had rather die than  to fall short in my accounts.  Will you please send my valise to my wife  with all the papers that are in it.  My life has been a failure, and I am  sorry that I have to leave my darling wife and children, but commit them to God  and may He help them in this life.  Oh, my God, how I hate to leave them;  but I cannot bear to meet them in disgrace. My acts and my friends have brought  me to this rash act.  May the God of heaven have mercy on me.  I don't  care whether they ever look for me to bury me or not.  If they do, I want  to be buried at Gleeson.  To A. E. Gardner, who has been my best friend, I  ask to look after my baby boy especially.  To all friends and foes I bed a  final farewell.  Darling wife, do not grieve after me but look on the  bright side of life.  Kiss my babies farewell forever.  Good-bye to  all.

1890-11-21-THE HICKMAN COURIER-Kentucky
DRESDEN, TENN., November 17.-J. B. Williams, a young farmer of Weakley County, was on yesterday arrested on the charge of forgery.  The warrant  for his arrest was sworn out by John McGlothlin, cashier of the Weakley County  Bank of this place.  Williams was born in this country, and had always  lived here.   He has enjoyed, until recently, the confidence of his  neighbors.  His arrest developed the fact that he has for twelve months  been forging the names of a number of his neighbors to notes, which he has  discounted in the banks at Dresden. J. W. Parks, a well-to-do farmer, has found  that his name has been signed to five or six notes for various sums during the  year, and these notes were never seen or heard of by him until this  morning.  J. A. Covington's name was forged in a number of cases.   Most of the notes were renewed by Williams two or three times, and some of them  were paid off.  Suit was brought by the Weakley County Bank last week, and  when the warrant was served on the securities Saturday, Williams was  exposed.  He was at the time in Ohio, or the note would have doubtless been  renewed again.  When arrested and brought to town this morning, Williams  made a clean breast of it all and acknowledged that he was guilty, not only in  this case for which he was arrested, but in a number of other cases.  He  said he did not know what made him commit these forgeries.  He paid some of  them off and if he had not been detected, she says, he would have paid the  others off.  The Weakley County Bank will lose about $350 unless Williams'  friends raise the money which they say they will do.

Historical Newspapers- WHITE - FREEMAN
1893-11-10-THE HICKMAN COURIER-Kentucky
The grand jury of Weakley  county, Tenn., failed to indict Jim White for killing John Freeman at Martin a  few weeks ago.

Historical Newspapers- EDWARDS
1893-12-15-THE HICKMAN COURIER-Kentucky
A Terrible Tragedy.
A  terrible tragedy occurred in Weakley county, Tenn., near Martin last week.  West Edwards, a well-known young farmer shot and instantly killed his wife and  then shot himself twice in the neck, dying in a few hours.  The Martin  Tribune give the following account of the affair:Young Edwards had  been married about a year and every one thought the couple happy.  Mr.  Edwards was getting along well in the world and had plenty of everything around  him, but it appears that he had recently indicated symptoms of insanity and  would frequently remark to this wife that she did not love him and that he had  rather be dead than alive.  But his family thought nothing of these  melancholy moods, and on the morning of the killing he was helping his wife and  sister-in-law about washing and seemed to be in good spirits.  It seems  that some bird hunters were shooting over in a field and his wife or  sister-in-law said something about it, and Edwards said that he had some  shooting to do, and went into the house.  His wife thought nothing of  it.  He came out and fired two shots into his wife's back with the above  result.  He then turned the pistol and fired one ball into his neck, and  told his sister-in-law that he was going back into the house and reload his pistol and kill her, and he thereupon went into the house and reloaded his pistol and came out in search of his sister-in-law, who had fled to a neighbor's  house, and not finding her, he again shot  himself.

Historical Newspapers-WRIGHT
1894-10-12-THE HICKMAN COURIER-Kentucky
R. R. Wright, a barber,  hailing from Greenfield, Tenn., was arrested at Fulton last week by the deputy  sheriff of Weakley county, Tenn., and charged with having abducted a young lady  about 17 years old from the poor house in Dresden and carrying her to the woods where he criminally assaulted her.

Historical Newspapers HIXON
1888-10-23-THE EVENING BULLETIN-Kentucky
Mrs. Jasper M. Hixon, of  Como, Henry County, Tenn., died a few days ago and was buried at Mayslick, where she formerly lived.

Historical Newspapers MCGHEE/MCGEE
1894-02-02-THE IOLA REGISTER-Kansas
Mrs. May McGhee, living at  West Paris, Henry county, Tenn. fell in a fire while in a fit and burned to death before anyone came to her rescue.

Historical Newspapers BRADFORD
1896-11-06-SEMI-WEEKLY JOURNAL-Kentucky
Pres Bradford, who shot and  killed an officer in Henry county, Tenn., committed suicide.

Historical Newspapers TROUSDALE
1897-11-13-THE TRUE DEMOCRAT-Louisiana
Deputy Sheriff Puts a Bullet in his Brain.
Deputy Sheriff Felix G. Trousdale shot and killed himself at this home, in the Fourth District of Henry county, Tenn., four miles north of Paris, Friday night.  No cause can be assigned for the deed.  He was in Paris during the day and seemed in good health and spirits.  He returned home and went out on the front gallery, where the family were alarmed by the shot.  They discovered him lying on his back dead, with a pistol on his breast.  The 44-calibre bullet entered the skull, just behind the right ear, causing instant death.  He was about fifty-five years of age.

Historical Newspapers ALEXANDER
1897-08-05-THE PADUCAH DAILY SUN-Kentucky
Carried to Tennessee
A sister of Mr. W. H. Alexander, who was found dead in bed at Rogers' night before last, arrived last evening, and the remains were this
morning shipped to Como, Tenn., for burial.

Historical Newspapers LYON
1904-12-28-THE HARTFORD HERALD-Kentucky
The body of a man  supposed to be W. R. Lyon, of Puryear, Tenn., was found under a straw stack near Mayfield.  The man's throat was cut from ear to ear.

Historical Newspapers MCCONNELL
1899-08-04-CHICAGO EAGLE-Illinois
Couple Killed by Lightning
H. H. McConnell and his wife, an aged couple, were killed by lightning at their home near Cottage Grove, Tenn.  Both had their clothing burned off.

Historical Newspapers BLYTH/BLYTHE - FAXON
1902-04-09-THE PADUCAH SUN-Kentucky
Mrs. Mary A. Blythe, the widow of the late James B. Blythe of Cottage Grove, Tenn., and sister of Mrs. Len G. Faxon, formerly of Paducah, died in New York City March 31, and was buried in Lindell cemetery, Long Island.

1902-04-11-THE ST. LOUIS REPUBLIC-Missouri
He Had Shot a Deputy Marshal Without Any Cause.
Fulton, Ky., April 10.-Frank Taylor, Deputy Marshal on the Tennessee side of Fulton, was shot down in cold blood and instantly killed last night at 7 o'clock by Tom Blackard, aged 23 years, a farmer, residing near Dukedom, Tenn.At 10:30 o'clock last night Blackard was taken from the lock-up by a mob and hanged from a bridge, where he was afterwards found dead by officers and citizens.Will Cavender, a saloon man, was  accidentally shot in the leg by persons who were attempting to capture Blackard.

Tom Blanchard was hanged by a mob near Dukedom, Tenn.  He killed Marshall Taylor at Fulton, Ky.

Historical Newspapers JOLLEY/JOLLY - HENDERSON - STONE
1905-07-19-8-THE PADUCAH SUN-Kentucky
Deaths in Fulton
Fulton, Ky.,  July 18.-Mrs. Jim Jolley, aged 32 years, died at her home in Martin, Tenn.  A husband and four children, the youngest 3 months old, survives her.  The remains were taken to Gleason, Tenn., last night, the burial occurring there today.  The deceased was a sister of Mrs. Jesse Henderson of Fulton.Mrs. Jim Stone, aged 75  years, died at her home in Dukedom, Tenn.  She was an invalid for more than thirty years.  She leaves a husband and several children, among the latter being Jim Stone, Jr. of this city.

Historical Newspapers GIBSON - DRURY
1877-01-27-NATIONAL REPUBLICAN-District of Columbia
Robert Gibson, deputy United States Marshal, from Carroll County, Tenn., was shot and almost instantly killed last night by Robert Drury, father of Drury, who is under indictment for issuing counterfeit money, and whose trial is set for tomorrow.  Gibson is the principal in the case.

Historical Newspapers LANE
1895-01-08-THE EVENING BULLETIN-Kentucky
In Carroll county,  Tenn., Polk Lane, while hunting, fell and was fatally shot.

Historical Newspapers WILSON - ALEXANDER
1893-08-24-SHINER GAZETTE-Texas
A double Killing
NASHVILLE, TENN.,  Aug. 19.-At Gleason, Carroll county, Tennessee, Thrusday evening Dr. Wilson, a well-known druggist, meeting Polk Alexander, a prominent citizen, on the street, shot him dead and then shot himself because of a dispute about business matters.

On the 7th of  this instant, Lewis Zachery, of Obion county, shot Maj. Wm. W. Watson, of said county, who, it is expected will die from the wound.  After perpetrating the diabolical act, Zachery succeeded in making his escape, since which time he has not been heard of.  Said Zachery is about 45 years of age; 5 feet 8 or 10 inches high; of sallow complexion; one ear off, or the quarter part of it; somewhat inclined to drink, as his complexion shows.  The above reward will be given for the apprehension and delivery of said Zachery, to the proper authorities of Obion county, or lodged in any safe jail in the United States, so that he can be gotten.SETH BEDFORD Obion county, Tenn. Oct.  19.

Historical Newspapers MITCHELL - STONE
Mr. John B. Mitchell, of Obion county, Tenn. was assassinated on Sunday night, the 3rd ultimo, in the following brutal and distressing manner:  He was seated at the supper table, surrounded by his family, unconscious that the bloody eye of a midnight assassin was resting on him, when a gunshot was fired into the room from without, and Mr. Mitchell fell from his seat a dead man.  Some of the members of the family rushed out, but the night was dark and they could not see any person:  They, however, heard the rustling of the leaves as the blood stained villain pushed through a thicket. From previous threats,  and other circumstances, the citizens of Obion have good reason to suspect that a certain James N. Stone, of Obion county, is the murderer.  They have, with a praiseworthy spirit, subscribed several hundred dollars reward for the apprehension of the murderer.James N. Stone is described to be a  heavy built man, near six feet high, complexion common, hair and eyes black, visage rather broad, a large scar across his nose, which is angling down.-Mills Point Herald.

Historical Newspapers KESSE/KEESE - WALLACE - POTTER
1843-06-21-DAILY ATLAS-Massachusetts
A SHOCKING MURDER.-A  revolting murder was recently perpetrated in Obion county, Tenn.  It is stated that "Gilbert Kesse, armed with a double barrelled shot gun, and Joshua Wallace, armed with a rifle, went on Friday evening, the 2nd inst. to the house of Mr. Monroe Potter; there arrived, Kesse called out John Potter, (Monroe's brother,) who had hardly stepped out when Kesse deliberately raised his shot gun and killed him dead upon the spot, lodging eleven buck shot in his body; upon this the ruffian wheeled and fled.  Monroe Potter, hearing the report of the gun, rushed out and tried to secure the murderer, but Kesse stopped and fired at him the other barrel load of his gun, planting the principal contents of this gun in his victim's breast, and leaving him weltering in his blood.  The murderers have fled and have as yet not been taken.  Monroe Potter, whose life is despaired of, was Kesse's brother-in-law."

1843-06-21-NORTH AMERICAN-Pennsylvania
MURDER.-A revolting murder  was committed in Obion county, Tennessee, on the 2nd inst., by Gilbert Keese and Joshua Wallace. Keese shot two brothers, by the names of John and Monroe Potter, that latter of whom was his brother-in-law.  The murderers fled and have not yet been arrested.

Late Southern News-What one Woman has Suffered. (Civil War Murders)
(From the Richmond Examiner.)
Last year the world was horrified at the murder of a whole family at Beckham's Landing, in Obion county, Tennessee, by Yankee negro troops.  In Europe it was made a theme of comment by the press of civilized nations.  The particulars have never been fully given until within a few days past, when Mrs. Mary Beckham, the widow of A. F. Beckham, one of the victims, published a letter giving the details of the horrible act.  As a matter of history, we put it upon the record:

On Tuesday morning, about 9 o'clock, August 4, 1863, twelve armed negro soldiers came to the house, there being no one there except my husband, father-in-law (Benjamin F. Beckham), and four of my children, and some of our family negroes.  They rushed on my husband and tied him, took off his watch and pin, and rifled his pockets.  They then tied my father-in-law, and dragged them to the river, it being about thirty yards.  They killed my husband on the top of the bank by shooting him in the head.  They then cut off his shoulder blade and rolled his body into the river; his clothes looked as if there had been a great struggle.They then took the old  gentleman, stabbed him three times, once in the heart and cut one of his ears off.  After throwing his body into the river, they proceeded back to the house, where two of them had been guarding my dear little children.  They spoke to my eldest daughter, Laura, aged fourteen years, telling her to get up and follow her damned old daddy, at the same time presenting a pistol to her temple.  The children were driven to the water's edge, where their father and grandfather had been murdered, and then they were put to death in the most cruel manner.

The youngest, Richard, aged two and half years, was thrown into the water.  Laura jumped in and attempted to rescue him, and while in the water waist deep, begging for mercy, she was knocked on the head with the butt end of a gun, entirely separating her forehead, and then stabbed in the side.  Kate Ida, eleven years of age, was then disposed of.  She was beaten with guns until her head and shoulders were perfectly soft; her body was bruised all over.  Caroline, seven years of age, was shot through the head and so disfigured that she did not look like a human.  After they had murdered them all and thrown their bodies into the river, they returned to the house, taking everything valuable, and all the clothing they could carry.

Then they started for Island No. 10, thinking or knowing they would be protected if they reached there in safety.  While they were killing the children, a man by the name of Everett came up-he asked them what they meant, when they commenced firing on him, and he narrowly escaped with this life; he started immediately to alarm the neighborhood.  There happened to be a Federal cavalry force from Columbus, Kentucky, conscripting the negroes in the cavalry, and on their being informed, the immediately started in pursuit and overtook them near the island, and arrested all except those who escaped, but they were afterward captured.  Ten of them were taken to Columbus, where they were tried and six sentenced, and it is said even hung; the others, with the exception of one, sentenced to the penitentiary for life.  One was left unpunished.The cause the Federals  had for showing so much leniency to one was, he acknowledged he threw the youngest child in the river, but said he did not want to kill any of them, but he was threatened by others that if he did not obey Guynnes' and Captain Thomas' orders, he would meet with the same fate as these children.  I know there is a just God above, and that they will have justice meted out to them in the next world, if not in this.  I have three children left, and now living at home.  Various threats were made against my life if I came home; but I came, and I could not tell the number of times the Federals have searched my house both night and day.

I reported to the authorities at No. 10, but it did no good.  I was told that the Lieutenant who arrested the negroes was wearing my husband's watch.  I have been robbed five times since the murder of my family; and if this war continues much longer, I do not know how I will live.  The negroes that murdered my family are strange negroes, trained by Union soldiers to commit such deeds.  The New Albany Ledger gave an account of the murder, and said it more than likely a hoax, and if it was so, the rebellion was the cause of it.  My father-in-law's brother was the first man murdered at the time of John Brown's insurrection at Harper's Ferry.

 I wonder what was the cause of that. One of the negroes  concerned in the murder of my family was a noted corporal.  In November I was at my brother's, when three white Union soldiers from the Island came to search.  They cursed me, and said I was a damned old fool and other words too rough to mention.  One drew his gun on me and threatened to shoot me.  I went immediately to the Island, and told Captain Benison one of his men threatened my life.  He said he would punish him.  Two weeks later the same man came back and told me that I told the blackest lie woman ever told. I received a note from head-quarters to pay a woman $49 immediately, or I would be severely punished.  The woman had no claim on me whatever.  I refused to pay the sum, and the commander then on the island being sent away, prevented me from paying it or receiving the punishment.Under such circumstances I have lived alone, with the exception of three small children.  I have resolved to have a monument placed over my husband's grave if I live, to show how he went; then, if the threats that are made against me are executed, and Iam not spared, I call upon the Masons to see that it is done.  Enough is left that an army can't destroy to have it done.

BACK to Weakley Home page

Webpage by MaryCarol