D. JANES. one of the successful farmers and
of the Sixth District of Weakley County, Tenn., is a son
of Edward and
Piety (Berry) Janes. He was born in Henry
County, Tenn., in
1889, and is one of a family of fourteen children, only
living: Caroline (Mrs. B. L. Simmons), William D.,
Elizabeth (wife of
Dr. James Revis), Savannah (Mrs. Samuel Irvin), Samantha
Atkins), Mollie (wife of Dr. T. H. Allen), Ada (Mrs.
Ida (Mrs. W. C. McWirter) and Augusta (Mrs. George
Newberry). The father was born in the Palmetto
1814. He received but a limited early
greatly improved it in later years by observation and
came to Tennessee when about nineteen years old, and July
28, 1836, was
united in marriage to subject's mother. For several years
engaged in the mercantile business in Como. In
moved to Weakley County, where he is at present residing
on a large
farm. His wife was born in Kentucky about
1819, and moved
to Henry County, Tenn., in 1820. William D. Janes,
spent his boyhood days with his parents and was educated
at the New
Boston Academy and also the McKenzie Academy. At the
twenty he took control of a mill, and is the present owner
manager. He also owns several hundred acres of fine
improved and cultivated. He is a man of
and good business qualifications and commands the respect
of all who
know him. He is a Democrat in politics and
received his first presidential vote.
A. J. JEFFRESS was born in Halifax County, Va., March 28, 1838. His parents, D. J. and Parmelia (Davis) Jeffress, were Virginians by birth, born in 1810 and 1818, respectively, and after their marriage came to Tennessee. The father died in 1863, and the other in 1884. A. J. Jeffress was educated in the common schools and Bluff Springs Academy. In 1869 he married Cora Smolley, who was born in Benton County, Tenn., 1852. They have four children: Sammie, Jones, Mattie and Laura. Mr. Jeffress engaged in carpentering after marriage in Martin, and remained there until March, 1886. He built the first house ever erected in Martin. In 1886 he purchased 180 acres of land near Gardner, and there now resides. He has always been energetic and economical, and a been fairly successful financially. He is a Democrat, and his first presidential vote as cast for Breckenridge. He and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-first Infantry, and was at Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Resaca and Atlanta, Ga. He was in captivity three months, was exchanged and returned home in March, 1865.
John W. JETER, stock raiser, farmer, and a prominent citizen of Weakley County, Tenn., was born in North Carolina, January 12,1831, son of Samuel and Ann (Brasfield) Jeter, natives of North Carolina, born in 1801 and 1797, and died in 1835 and 1853, respectively. The father was a farmer, and when about twenty years of age was united in marriage to Ann Brasfield, by whom he had eight children, two of whom are living: Robert E. and our subject. They came to Tennessee in 1831. John W. was reared by his mother. He was educated in the neighboring schools and at Dresden, and the year he was twenty-one years old, taught school, and on the 3d of March, 1853, his marriage with Dr. G. D. and Mrs. Simm's daughter Ann, was celebrated. Of the five children born to them there are living William S., Frances Ella (Mrs. S. E. Young), and Ann C (Mrs. Henry Finch). Almost from the date of his marriage, Mr. Jeter has resided on his present farm, which originally consisted of 100 acres, but now amounts to 628 acres of well cultivated and improved land. Mr. Jeter is a Democrat, and in 1870 was elected to the office of magistrate, which he filled six years. He has been a member of the Masonic eternity since he was twenty-one years of age. In May, 1863, his wife died, and in December of the same year he wedded Sarah E. Young, by whom he is the father of six children: Lorissa T. (Mrs. Samuel Shannon), George W., John B., Robert Lee, Lulu and Ethelbert J. Mrs. Jeter was born in Granville County, N. C., in 1837, and her parents, William K. and Lucy F. Young, were both born in North Carolina. The father died in 1855, and the mother is now residing in Weakley County.
A. JOLLEY was born in Wilson County, Tenn., in 1827, being one of nine children born to H. B. and Martha Jolley, who were born in North Carolina and Wilson County, Tenn., respectively. The father's birth occurred in 1805. He was a farmer and moved to Wilson county in his youth and afterward married in that county. He removed to Weakley county, about 1849, and resided in that county until 1864, when he moved to Illinois, and died in that State two years later. The mother was born a few years later than her husband and departed this life in l865. Our subject was educated in the district schools near his home, and about 1849 married Miss Mary J. Caraway, daughter of L. C. and Martha Caraway. Mrs. Jolley is a Wilson County Tennessean, and was born in 1829. The following family of children have been born to them: R. F., E. B., J. W., Paralee (wife of I. E. Elliott), L. C. and Josephine. Soon after his marriage, Mr. Jolley located on the farm where he now lives. His farm consists of about 150 acres of valuable land, well improved and well cultivated. Mr. Jolley is a man of energetic habits and is well versed in business life. From 1860 until 1865 he was constable of his district, and in 1876 was chosen magistrate and has held the office up to the present time. He is a Democrat and Mason and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
William C. JONES (deceased), is a son of Israel and Margaret (Connor) Jones, and was born in Henry County, Ky, in 1805. Israel Jones was born in Virginia, and at an early day moved to Kentucky and there resided until 1825, when he came to Weakley County, Tenn., and was one of the few men who assisted in making the first settlements. William C. was married December 24, 1839, to Virginia (Bondurant) Bayliss, who was born in 1814, in Kentucky. Soon after marriage Mr. Jones bought property near Dresden. His wife died October 19, 1857, and December of the following year he married Sarah Bondurant, daughter of Hillary and Unity (Terrell) Bondurant. Mrs. Jones was born in 1828, and is the mother of two children: Hillary B. and Maggie (Mrs. E. J. White, of Fort Worth, Texas). Mrs. Jones' grandfather, John Terrell, was the original owner of the land on which Dresden is now located. He was one of Weakley County's first white settlers and lived for some time where the court house now stands, and afterward where Mr. W. C. Scott's home now is. The first court ever held in the county was held in his sheep pen. Our subject owned about 1,000 acres of land and although not a rich man, he left his family in good circumstances. He died in March, 1886. His wife and son Hillary have since lived on the home place, which is under the skillful management of the latter, and are doing well. Mr. Jones was a Democrat, but previous to the war was a member of the old Whig party and was a Presbyterian in religious belief.