Moss Cemetery Pictures

These Photos Graciously Submitted by John Waggoner Jr.
Any Comments or Questions
Click Here

Moss Cemetery
The Moss Cemetery is located off Horseshoe Bend Road at 123 Upchurch
Lane.The property was owned by John High who built this brick house
about 1836. It is said to be one of the first brick houses built in
Smith County. The Moss family owned the farm for many years and it
is presently owned by the Upchurch family.


In this photo of the Moss Cemetery the mouth of the Caney Fork River
is at the end of the field. The Cumberland River is to the right of
the photo and Caney Fork to the left. The bluff visible to the left
is at the new Veterans Memorial Bridge at Carthage and the bluff to
the right overlooks Carthage. Carthage is the width of the Cumberland
River away but over 10 miles by road to get there.
This area is referred to as Forks of the River in census records.


Moss, Lemoin 11 Oct 1929 -- 12 Oct 1929
Turner, Johnie tolliver 13 Aug 1901 -- 30 Sept 1901
Moss, Ethel M B&D 22 Feb 1912 D/O G.C. & L.O. Moss
Moss, Inf. B&D 13 Apr 1914 D/O G.C. & L.O. Moss
Moss, Lula D. 26 Dec 1889 -- 17 Sept 1915
Moss, Grover C. 1 Oct 1885 -- 27 Feb 1964
Moss, Laura Virgie 14 Jan 1898 -- 21 Nov 1957
Petty, H.D. 26 May 1890 -- 10 Oct 1956
Petty, Mammie Ross 12 Sept 1889 -- 9 Feb 1934
Petty, Grover Edward 29 Mar 1923 -- 9 May 1923
Petty, Jimmie D. B&D 4 Dec 1928
Petty, John William, Sr. 26 Oct 1888 -- 20 Nov 1917
Petty, William 16 Jan 1921 -- 12 Dec 1922
Petty, Andrew J. 18 Jan 1846 -- Oct 1922
Moss, W.S. 21 Feb 1852-- 18 Oct 1930
Moss, Mary E. 8 Oct 1855--23 Apr 1935
Moss, James William 18 Jul 1878-- 19 Dec 1956

The Petty family operated the upper ferry at Carthage
and lived on opposite side of Cumberland River.

( Names and dates from Smith County Cemeteries-South of the Cumberland River)

Back To Cemetery Pictures Index