Marion County, Tennessee Genealogy Tennessee State Flag Tennessee State Flag
Marion County, Tennessee Genealogy

Goodspeed's Biographies of Marion County
I - L

published 1886


LOONEY LAFAYETTE JANEWAY, M. D., a successful practicing physician of Whitwell, was born near Tazewell, Claiborne county, Tenn., and is a son of Joseph and Mary (Smith) Janeway, both natives of Jefferson county, Tenn. They were born in 1806, the father being seven days the senior. he was a hatter by trade and followed that pursuit till the last few years of his life. He married Miss Smith in the county of their nativity whence they removed to Claiborne county and later located in that part of Grainger county, which afterward became Union county. In early life they were members of the Primitive Baptist church and on the division of that church united with that branch known as the Missionary Baptist, with which they were connected until death. Mr. Janeway gave his political support to the Democracy, and in matters of business he was very successful. He died December 14, 1887, and his wife passed away in December, 1894. They traveled life’s journey together as man and wife for sixty-one years, and their home was blessed with ten children, five sons and five daughters, of whom seven are now living namely: Nancy, widow of Valentine Sharp, and a resident of Union county. Tenn., their home being on the Clinch river; Luvisa, a resident of Texas; Joseph, a minister of the Missionary Baptist church, of Sweetwater Tenn.; Mary, wife of Alfred Wolfe, who reside near Jasper, Marion county; Sarah, wife of Mr. Loftus, of Grainger county, Tenn.; Minerva, widow of James Condra, who is living near Shell Mound, Marion county; and the Doctor. Those who have passed away are: William, who was a farmer of Claiborne county and minister of the Missionary Baptist church, and died in 1897; and John, who was a member of the First Tennessee Federal Artillery, and died at Fort Negley; and Pryor, a farmer and minister of the Missionary Baptist church, who had formerly been a merchant, and died in Union county in the summer of 1897.

Dr. Janeway pursued his education in upper east Tennessee and afterward successfully engaged in teaching, but desiring to enter the profession to which he now devotes his energies, he took up the study of medicine and later attended a course of lectures in Nashville, and in 1890, 1891 and 1892 was a medical student in Chattanooga. In 1870, he went to Sullivan and Green counties, Ind., and after several months visited the state of Arkansas. Subsequently he returned to the Sequatchie Valley and since that time has engaged in the practice of medicine in Marion county. He has a comprehensive and accurate knowledge of the science of medicine and in the application of its principles to the needs of suffering humanity has demonstrated superior skill and ability. He is now in the enjoyment of an extensive patronage, and has gained a reputation that ranks him among the leading physicians in this part of the state.

The Doctor was married in March, 1871, to Miss Margaret Burnette, daughter of Josiah Burnette. She was born in Marion county in 1852, and died January 15, 1883. Of her three children, two are living: Dora, now the wife of Joseph Ridge, a farmer residing near Springfield, Tenn., and Joseph, who is living at Chattanooga; while Pryor Henry died in childhood. Mrs. Janeway was a member of the Methodist church and a lady of many excellencies of character. On the 27th of June 1883, the Doctor was again married, his second union being with Miss Mary J. Ridge, who was born near her present home in 1861, and is a daughter of David Ridge. they have an interesting family of five children: James, Robert Graves, Josie, Viola, Marshal, Foster, Paris David, and Florence Virginia.

Dr. Janeway gives his political support to the Democracy and socially is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Whitwell, When sixteen years of age he joined the Missionary Baptist church and has since engaged in preaching the gospel. His life has been well spent in devotion to the physical and moral needs of his fellow men and no man in Marion county is held in higher regard of is more deserving of the confidence and friendship of those with whom he comes in contact.

JOHN A. JENKINS, the honored mayor of South Pittsburg, is a man whose wellspent life commands the respect of all with whom he is brought in contact. His fidelity to public duty marks him as a worthy citizen and his reliability in all trade transactions has won him a reputation that is indeed enviable. His well-directed efforts have also brought to him a gratifying success, and he is now the owner of valuable property interests in Marion county.

Mr. Jenkins was born in Jackson county, Ala., August 31, 1840, and is a son of Milton and Sarah (Russell) Jenkins. Milton Jenkins was born in the Pickens district of South Carolina, March 6, 1810, and was the son of Thomas and Mary Jenkins. His father, Thomas, was born July 9, 1769, and died in 1849, aged eighty years, three months and twenty-two days. The mother, born September 10, 1776, died December 17, 1847, at the age of seventy-one years, three months and seven days. Milton Jenkins spent the days of his boyhood and youth in the place of his birth but, on attaining his majority, removed to Jackson county, Ala., where he made his home until his death, which occurred July 26, 1880, when he had attained the advanced age of seventy years, four months and twenty days. His wife, formerly Sarah A. Russell, was a native of Alabama, born November 17, 1818, and died March 14, 1886, sixty-nine years, three months and twenty-seven days old. She was the daughter of Matthew Russell, who was born January 5, 1791, and died February 9, 1832. Thomas Russell, the father of Matthew, was born June 7, 1761, and died July 11, 1850, after attaining the age of eighty-nine years. Matthew's mother was born June 18, 1770, and died January 13, 1861, over ninety years of age.

Milton Jenkins and his wife were devout Christians, both being members of the Methodist Episcopal church, South. In his political views he was a Democrat. the family numbered six children, as follows: Andrew J., born in Jackson county, Ala., October 20, 1838, a resident farmer of Marion county, and of whom a sketch follows this; John A.; Martha, of South Pittsburg, widow of Capt. W. D. McCampbell, who was commander of Company F., Fifty-fifth Alabama Infantry, in the Civil war; T. C., a farmer of Jackson county, Ala.; Grafton and Mary who died in childhood.

John A. Jenkins acquired his education in the public schools of his native county, and in 1861 he and his two brothers enlisted in the Confederate army; John and T. C. were members of Captain McCampbell’s company, of the Fifty-fifth Alabama Confederate Infantry. The subject of this review remained with that command until the battle of Peach Tree Creek on the retreat from Dalton, when he had a part of his left foot shot away. He remained in South Carolina until the close of the hostilities, when he returned to his Alabama home. At the battle and surrender of Fort Donelson most of his command were taken prisoners but he succeeded in making his escape. he participated in the engagements at Corinth, Jackson and a great many other battles and skirmishes.

After the war Mr. Jenkins engaged in farming in Jackson county, Ala., until his removal to South Pittsburg. Here he formed a partnership with Shelby Lovelace and engaged in merchandising, meeting with such excellent success that after four years he purchased his partner’s interest and for some time conducted the business alone. Later he admitted Reuben Brittain to a partnership, but has now retired from commercial life and devotes his energies to agricultural pursuits. he owns two valuable and highly cultivated farms, on in Doran’s Cove, Jackson county, Ala., and the other near South Pittsburg, Marion county.

In 1868, Mr. Jenkins married Miss Lucy Partin, daughter of Thomas Partin, and a native of Tennessee. They have six children. Martha is the wife of Reuben Brittain, and Mary, her twin sister, is the wife of James Brittain, the two brothers being brothers and partners in the largest store in the Sequatchie Valley, the same being located in South Pittsburg. Sarah is at home. Henrietta is the wife of W. R. Ladd, a business man of South Pittsburg. Cora and Harry are at home. The parents hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and Mr. Jenkins is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. His political support is given to the Democracy, and in 1896, he was elected mayor of South Pittsburg, in which position he is still serving. His administration is a progressive one, giving general satisfaction to the public. His business career has been crowned with success, owing to his diligence, capable management and enterprise, and he is now one of the substantial citizens of the community.

Andrew J. Jenkins was born October 20, 1838, in Jackson county, Ala., and is the son of Milton and Sarah A. (Russell) Jenkins, sketches of whom are given in connection with that of John A. Jenkins above. He early in life adopted farming as a vocation which he still follows. May 2, 1861, he enlisted in Company F., Sixth Alabama Regiment, and for about a years served in the army under General Joseph E. Johnston. Transferred to the Army of Virginia, under the command of Robert E. Lee, and participated in all the triumphs and vicissitudes of part of the Confederate forces. In the dreadful carnage on Gettysburg’s bloody field, Mr. Jenkins was wounded, July 3, 1863, in the left leg and has been crippled ever since.

WILLIAM O. JONES, editor of the South Pittsburg “Republican,” and timekeeper for the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Co., is one of the energetic and wide-awake men among the younger members of the business population of the thriving town of South Pittsburg.

Mr. Jones was born near Centerville, Hickman county, Tenn., October 13, 1870, a son of Patrick R. and Matilda E. (Radcliff) Jones. The father was born in Nashville, Tenn., September 26, 1849. The mother was probably born in Hickman county, Tenn., in the year 1845. They were married in Vernon, Hickman county, and made their home in that locality until 1895, when they moved to South Pittsburg, Marion county, Tenn. They are both members of the Christian church. Politically, Mr. Patrick Jones is identified with the Republican party, but formerly was a Democrat. He is of Scotch descent and his father, Barnett Jones, is still living and is making his home in Hickman county, Tenn.. He is a farmer by occupation, and is about eighty-seven years of age, having been born in Halifax county, Va., in 1818.

William O. Jones, the subject of our sketch, is the oldest of a family of six children, and the names of his brothers and sisters are as follows: John, who is a moulder in the employ of the Blacklock foundry; Ewell T., who is an assistant in the laboratory of the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Co.; Jesse, in the employ of the Eagle Pencil Co., at South Pittsburg; Maud and Reece, at home. Our subject spent his boyhood at Warner, and was educated in the public schools of that place and at home. Since locating at South Pittsburg he has done some teaching in the night schools. After completing his study he entered the office of the Southern Iron Co., at Warner, Hickman county, Tenn., in the capacity of assistant bookkeeper, and was thus engaged for six years. Six months of this time, however, he was at Goodrich as timekeeper for the Round Mountain Furnace Co., and, on severing his connection with this firm, entered the employ of the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Co., as timekeeper, and is still holding that position. March 16, 1898, in partnership with Mr. W. F. McDaniels, he leased the South Pittsburg “Republican,” and since that date our subject has performed the duties of that paper in connection with his work for the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Co.

March 11, 1890, Mr. Jones was united in marriage with Miss Minnie A. Blocker, daughter of Thomas and Josephine (Nicks) Blocker, and their union has been blessed by the advent of two children, Horace and Edwin. The younger died in infancy. The family is connected with the Christian church, in which our subject is a deacon. He is also a member of the fraternity of the Knights of Pythias, and in politics is identified with the Republican party.

CHARLES A. JUSTIN, boilermaker for the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Co., at South Pittsburg, was born in Sullivan county, N. Y., August 12, 1855, a son of Phillip J. and Mariah (Miller) Justin.

Phillip J. Justin, our subject’s father, was born in Germany. He grew to manhood and learned the blacksmith trade in the fatherland. He worked at his trade for a time in Germany and also a number of places in France, and while in the latter country learned the French language. When about twenty-eight years of age he emigrated to the United States. He landed in New York and lived in that state until just before the war, when he moved to Clark county, Ohio. From there he moved to Franklin county, Tenn., where he turned his attention to farming. he died in Marion county, Tenn., April 11, 1896, at the age of eighty-four years. his wife was born in Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and they were married in the Empire state. She also died in Marion county. Tenn., January 17, 1894. They were both members of the Methodist church, and socially he affiliated with the Masonic fraternity. In politics he was a Republican. They were the parents of a large family of children, seven of whom grew to maturity, as follows: Mary, the wife of D. L. Buckner, of Franklin county, Tenn.; Arthur, a blacksmith and making his home and base of operations in New York; George M., was a blacksmith by occupation, and died in Franklin county, Tenn.; Charles A., the subject of this sketch; Frank, a boilermaker living in South Pittsburg; William, in the grocery business at Atlanta, Ga.; and Flora, wife of J. P. Armstrong, express agent at South Pittsburg.

Charles A. Justin, the subject of our sketch, was reared in Franklin county, Tenn., and when a boy was much given to fox hunting. At the age of twenty-one years, he began learning the trade of boiler making and in 1878 was employed by the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Company, and has been in their employ the most of the time since. For a time, however, in was in Birmingham, Ala., and working on the furnaces at that place and was also in Chattanooga, Tenn., for a time. He has also taken contracts to unload the iron ore from the barges on the Tennessee river.

May 12, 1864, Mr. Justin was united in marriage with Miss Nannie McCarthy, daughter of Eugean and Ellen McCarthy. Mrs. Justin is a native of the state of Maryland, but was reared in Chicago, Ill. She is a member of the Catholic church. Mr. Justin is a pleasant neighbor, genial, warmhearted, and has a cheerful home. As a citizen he is loyal to his adherence to the principles of right, and as a friend and benefactor he has gained an enviable reputation. Politically he is a Republican.

A. J. KEELING, one of the leading and highly esteemed citizens of South Pittsburg, who now holds the responsible position of furnaceman for the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad co., was born in Walker county, Ga., March 27, 1853, and is a son of James and Mary (Griffin) Keeling, also natives of that county. The mother died in Nashville Tenn,. in 1865, when comparatively a young woman, and the father departed this life in South Pittsburg, in 1875, at the age of fifty-three years. the latter was a mechanic employed in the bridge department of Memphis & Charleston railroad and later on the Nashville & Chattanooga railroad. He was an ardent Republican in politics and during the Civil war served for three years in the Tenth Tennessee Federal Infantry. In early life he removed from Alabama to Georgia; in 1861 went to Nashville, Tenn.; and in 1869 took up his residence in Marion county, where he spent his last days. Both he and his wife were members of the Baptist church and were held in high regard by all who knew them.

The subject of this sketch is the third in order of birth in their family of eight children, and was educated in the schools of Marion county. His studies were often interrupted, however, by work, for at an early age he entered the track department of the railroad company. subsequently he engaged in farming for four years on the south side of the river in Marion county, and in 1875, when the Southern States Iron & Coal Co. was organized, he entered their employ at South Pittsburg, learning the business perfectly. When the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad Co., bought he plant, he remained with them and twelve years ago was promoted tot he responsible position that he is now so capably filling. he has three hundred men working under him and has the entire confidence and respect of the company.

in 1875 Mr. Keeling was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Horner, a native of Kentucky, and a daughter of Tobias Horner. She died in Marion county in 1884, leaving three children: James, who is with the Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad co., and has charge of the iron yard; and Mary and Willie, both at home. Mr. Keeling was again married in 1886, his second union being Miss Nannie Smith, who was born in Georgia, and is a daughter of Macajah Smith. One child, Nora, graces this union. The parents are both identified with the Cumberland Presbyterian church, while socially Mr. Keeling is also a member of the Masonic order, the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen, and politically affiliates with the Democracy.

JAMES C. KELLY, a prominent and prosperous citizen and a member of the agricultural district of Sequatchie county, was born in Mullins Cove, Marion county, Tenn., and has spent his entire life in the eastern part of that state. He was born October 12, 1842, the son of Alexander and Elizabeth (Oatts) Kelly, and is now making his home in the Fifth district, Sequatchie county, not far from the village of Delphi.

Alexander Kelly was a son of Col. John Kelly. The latter had two brothers, William and Alexander, who also lived in the valley. He was a surveyor by occupation, and was quite widely known, and died in Marion county. Of his family we have the following record: Thomas was a resident of Georgia, but probably died in Florida; James was living in Texas when last heard of; Valentine died in Texas; Alexander, our subject’s father; Maj. William J. is a civil engineer and lives east of Jasper. The daughters were: Esther, wife of Ignatius Hall, died in Marion county; Polly, wife of Erasmus Alley, died in Marion county, Tenn.; Mrs. James Hoge died in Georgia; and Jane died, unmarried, in Marion county, Tenn.

Alexander Kelly was ruling elder at Ebenezer, which is the location of the old camping ground. By occupation he followed farming all his life, and, in connection with that vocation, he kept store at different times, and also kept the Kelly ferry. he was a slave-owner before the war, owning twenty-five negro slaves. He was a man of large means, but was very generous. He died about 1878, at the age of seventy-five years, in Marion county, Tenn., which had been his home since early boyhood, and his wife died in 1871, at the age of about seventy years. they were both members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. The Oatts family is one of the oldest families in the valley. Elizabeth (Oatts) Kelly, our subject’s mother, was a daughter of Col. David Oatts, who moved to the valley from Virginia. To Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Kelly were born the following children: David, who died in Jasper, Marion county, was a farmer for many years; he also served as register of deeds and clerk of the circuit court, and was postmaster for many years at Jasper; Nancy M., still living near Inman, in Marion county, widow of Dudley C. Peck; John G., of Jasper, is now the judge of Marion county, Tenn.; Eli T., is a farmer of Marion county, Tenn.; James C., the subject of this sketch; William E,. who died at Kelly’s Ferry; Abigail, deceased; and a child who died in infancy.

James C. Kelly, the subject of this sketch, was reared at Kelly’s ferry, near Jasper, Marion county, Tenn. Before the war he entered Sam Houston Academy, but made his home with his parents until twenty-seven years of age, and helped his father in the management of his farm. In 1867 he was united with Miss Martha Early, daughter of Rev. A. P. Early, a noted minister of the Cumberland Presbyterian church who was engaged for many years in preaching throughout eastern Tennessee. Rev. Early was a near relative of Gen. Jubal A. Early. Mrs. Kelly was born in the state of Georgia, in 1848, and her wedded life has been blessed by the advent of a family of seven children, all of whom are living, viz: Albert O., of Whitwell, Tenn., connected with the coal company of that city; William A., is also with the coal company at Whitwell, Tenn; Henry W., is with his father on the farm; Elizabeth J., Early C. and Ida M. and Thomas C., still at home. At the time of his marriage our subject began farming in Marion county, and made his home there until 1875, when he bought his present home and moved to it. he has served the citizens of Sequatchie county in the capacity of register of deeds, was elected in 1884, and held office for one term. Politically, he is a Republican and is one of the few followers of that party that have held office in Sequatchie county. He and his wife are both members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church and our subject has held the position of ruling elder of the same for many consecutive years. During the war the Kelly family sympathized with the North and Alexander Kelly was in a position where he had considerable influence with some of the men in power in the Federal army, and served on the board of claims at the close of the hostilities.

JOHN CRITTENDEN KELLY occupies a prominent place as a well-to-do and progressive member of the farming community of Marion county, Tenn. He has spent the greater part of his life in the community, and has been one of the potent factors in the business and political history of the county. He was born on the farm he now makes his home, April 6, 1848, a son of William J. Kelly, whose sketch appears on another page of this volume.

Mr. Kelly spent his school days at the Winchester branch of the Sewanee University, and also at the Sam Houston Academy at Jasper, and in both institutions he made a specialty of mathematics. Upon leaving school he helped his father on the farm for a time, and then helped in the construction of the Jasper branch of the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis railroad, working in the capacity of bookkeeper and overseer about one year. In 1884 he moved to his father’s old home place, three miles east of Jasper, and has since made that his home. He was clerk of the circuit court of Marion county for four years, being elected in 1882,

In August, 1867, our subject was united in marriage with Miss Laura Ann Turner, daughter of Washington Turner, who was born in South Pittsburg, Marion county, Tenn, in July 1852. To this union have been born seven children, six of whom are living, and of whom we have the following record: Charles W., died in April 1887, at the age of eighteen years; Sarah Ann, wife of T. R. Hockworth, a school teacher at South Pittsburg, Tenn.; William Atwood is living with his parents; Mary Etta, wife of Andrew Pryor, a mill owner and operator living above Jasper; Melville Clyde, a miller, is living with his parents; Scott P. and Hershel Corry are still making their home with their parents.

JUDGE JOHN G. KELLY We are now permitted to touch briefly upon the life history of one who has retained a personnel association with the affairs of Marion county throughout life, and is today one of its most distinguished and honored citizens, a worthy representative of a prominent old pioneer family. His grandfather, Col. John Kelly, a native of Virginia, and a well educated gentleman, came to Marion county, Tenn., at an early day, and as a surveyor laid out and chartered the old Chattanooga & Nashville pike, the charter now being in possession of our subject. He was a Whig in politics; was a delegate to the first state convention, served as county court clerk of Marion county, and also filled the office of justice of the peace. He married Miss Nancy Mayo, also a native of the Old Dominion, and both lived to quite an advanced age. They were Presbyterians in religious faith, belonging to the church at Ebenezer, and he took an active part in the organization of the Masonic lodge here, which he afterward represented in the grand lodge.

Alexander Kelly, the father of the Judge, was born October 7, 1803, at Old Liberty in the upper part of Marion county, and was educated in the common schools of the valley. Though his advantages in this direction were rather limited he made the most of them, became a great reader, was a man of sound judgment and was always very industrious and enterprising. He started in life as a mechanic, and helped to build the first courthouse in Marion county at Jasper, but later in life removed to a farm three miles east of Jasper, and to agricultural pursuits devoted considerable attention throughout the remainder of his life. After living upon the farm for a number of years, he took charge of Kelly’s Ferry, which he conducted until some time during the ‘50’s.

He served as justice of the peace and county court clerk before the Civil war; was first a Whig and later a Republican in politics. Socially he was identified with the Masonic fraternity; and religiously both he and his wife were earnest members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. In early manhood he married Miss Elizabeth Oates, who was born in November, 1803, and died at Oates Landing, on the Tennessee river, at the age of sixty-four years. His death occurred upon his farm, three miles east of Jasper, when he was sixty-seven years of age. In their family were eight children, six sons and two daughters, of whom four are now living: Nancy M., widow of P. C. Peck, and a resident of Marion county; John G., of this sketch; Eli T., a farmer living three miles east of Jasper; and James Clay, a resident of Sequatchie county, Tenn. Those deceased are, David C., who served as circuit court clerk and postmaster at Jasper; Abigail, who died at Oates Landing during girlhood; and Thomas who died at the same place.

Judge Kelly was born on the old home farm east of Jasper, December 29, 1832, and was educated at Sam Houston Academy. Hunting was his chief delight during boyhood and youth, and with a pack of hounds he hunted from Chattanooga to Stephenson, Ala. After reaching man’s estate he commenced farming and continued to follow that pursuit until the outbreak of the Civil war. Loyal to the Union, in 1861, he joined Knight’s company, Swain’s division, and was in the secret service all through the war, acting as a scout, carrying messages, and guiding men through to the federal lines when they wished to join the Union service. He was with General Rosecrans and Thomas most of the time. This was a very valuable as well as dangerous service, and he was twice arrested by Confederate troops, once by Captain Alley’s company, but escaped from the soldier that was guarding him. He was present at the battles of Lookout Mountain, Wauhatchie and Missionary Ridge, but he carried no guns and took no part in the engagements as his services were not in the ranks, being back and forth through the lines many times.

After the war was over, Judge Kelly operated a farm east of Jasper given him by his father, but in 1876 removed to South Pittsburg, and for one year was connected with the Coal & Iron Company. He then engaged in farming and speculating, later conducted a meat market, and served as postmaster at South Pittsburg during President Hayes’ administration. He established the South Pittsburg “Republican,” the first Republican paper published in the Sequatchie valley. His fellow citizens recognizing his worth and ability have often called upon him to fill important official positions. He was the first mayor of South Pittsburg, has been justice of the peace, and in 1894 was honored with the election to the office of county judge for a term of eight years.

In 1859, Judge Kelly was united in marriage with Miss Barbara Jane Bean, a native of Sweden’s Cove, Marion county, and a daughter of Owen R. Bean, who was born in Middle Tennessee. She died October 15, 1894. Of the seven children born to this union six are still living, namely: Martha E., who is a successful teacher, residing at home with her father; Nancy F., wife of B. A. Heard, an attorney of South Pittsburg; A. O., who is connected with the iron and coal mines at Inman; Mary Abigail, wife of S. R. Ransom, a prominent citizen of South Pittsburg; John C., postmaster at Jasper; and Joseph B. H., at home.

For generations some of the Kelly family have held membership in Olive Branch lodge, F. & A. M. of Jasper, and the Judge has affiliated with that fraternity since 1858. He also belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen and is one of the leading and prominent members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church at Jasper, in which he is serving as elder. In his political affiliations he is a stanch Republican.

MAJOR WILLIAM J. KELLY ---- There are few men in the entire South who have taken a more important part in the substantial development and improvement of that section of the country than Major Kelly, who in his work as a civil engineer has largely advanced the welfare, not only of this native state, but of many other of the southern states. Jasper claims him among her valued citizens and has honored him with public office, at the same time holding him in the highest respect for his many sterling characteristics.

The Major was born near Jasper, May 8, 1823, a son of Col. John and Nancy (Mayo) Kelly. His grandfather, Alexander Kelly, was born in County Armagh, Ireland, and during his infancy was brought to America by his parents.. He served as a colonel either in one of the Indian wars or the war of the Revolution. After his son John located in the Sequatchie valley, he removed thither and was accidentally drowned in the Sequatchie river near Dunlap.

Col. John Kelly was born in Greenbrier, Va., June 2, 1779, and was married to Nancy Mayo, a native of North Carolina, and of Scotch-Irish descent. The marriage was celebrated in Monroe county, Tenn., and in 1808 they came down the Tennessee river to Lowry’s Landing, in Marion county, at which time the Indians were still in possession of this part of the valley. They located on land that is now owned by the Lamb family in Bledsoe county, there remaining until 1820, when they took up their residence near Jasper, Marion county. In 1838, they removed to Kelly’s Ferry on the Tennessee river, where the father spent the residue of his days. In 1826 he was granted a charter by the state to build a turnpike road to Ross’ Landing, and at the same time he constructed the first bridge across the Sequatchie river. He was the first to advocate the building of a road around Lookout Mountain, the same to follow the route which is now used by the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad. He made a bid to build that road if the state would give him control of it for a term of fifty years, but as some one else put in a lower bid he did not get the contract. He was a most progressive and public-spirited man, always advocating and supporting some measure that would develop the country and add to the general prosperity. He was government contractor to remove obstructions in the Tennessee river. He was a man of considerable means and owned a large number of slaves, but instead of being a source of income for him his endeavor to provide for their best interest made their labor more of an expense than a source of profit. In politics he was a Whig, was a member of the constitutional convention of 1834, and served for a time as circuit clerk and in other public offices. He aided in the organization of Olive Branch lodge, F. & A. M. at Jasper, and held to the religious faith of the Presbyterian church, while his wife was a member of the Methodist church. His name is indissolubly connected with the best development of the state, and for many years he was one of the most important factors in the public life of this section of Tennessee. He died November 26, 1845, and his wife passed away October 14, 1857, at the age of eighty years. They were parents of thirteen children, namely: Esther, Nancy, Alexander, Polly, Adaline and Thomas, twins, Martha and Jane, twins, Valentine, James, Margaret, William and one who died in infancy.

Major William Kelly is now the only survivor of the family. He was educated in the Sam Houston Academy at Jasper, the academy at Franklin, Ala., and under the private instruction of Rev. James Gamble of La Fayette, Ga., taking special interest in the study of mathematics in the last named place. After leaving school he read medicine for two years and the accepted a position as teacher at Cedar Springs, Tenn. Later he became a member of the faculty of the academy in Pikeville, and then taught for a number of terms in the Sam Houston Academy at Jasper, which was erected by his father, the Major himself carrying brick for the structure.

In 1852 Major Kelly began working as a civil engineer on the survey for the Rome & Columbus Railroad from Chattanooga through La Fayette, Ga., to the Alabama state line. On the completion of that labor he went to Gadsden, where he began the survey of the Will’s Valley Railroad along the Coosa river, now known as the Alabama & Great Southern road. Entering the employ of the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad Company he began working at Stevenson, Ala., engineering it’s construction. In 1867 he built the bridge across the Tennessee river to replace the one which had been washed away by a freshet and accomplished this in such a remarkably short time that the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad made him a present of five hundred dollars; the Bridge Company gave him a gun and a two-hundred-and-seventy-five-dollar watch. Soon afterward he built the Jasper branch of the same road and made the survey to Pikeville. He then made a survey for the Cincinnati Southern railroad from Dunlap, Tenn., to the Kentucky line. By way of Sparta, and from Rockwood, Tenn., to Big Creek Gap, in Claiborne county, Tenn., also opened coal mines near Boyd’s Switch in Alabama and built five miles of railroad from the main line to the foot of the mountain and the incline road to the mine. This was followed by the construction of the incline at Whitwell, which is a marvelous piece of engineering, winning high commendation from those best able to judge of such work. In the meantime he constructed the railroad from Jasper to Victoria and for a time was superintendent of this line.

When the convention was held in Chattanooga to petition Congress to do away with the obstructions in the Tennessee river at Muscle’s Shoals, major Kelly, General Wilder and Captain Byrd were selected to compose the committee on resolutions and they wrote the petition which was adopted by the convention and presented to Congress. The result of this was the construction of the canal around the shoals, thus opening up navigation for many miles toward the head of the Tennessee river. The Major’s next work was on the Birmingham & Columbus railroad, followed by a survey from Columbus, Miss., to Decatur, Ala., connecting the Tennessee and the Tombigbee rivers. He opened the Corono coal mines in Alabama, made the survey from Kimball to the Beaver creek coal fields in the lower part of Cumberland county, Tenn., and when the town of Kimball was laid out he was the chief engineer. In 1876 major Kelly made for the Centennial at Philadelphia a map 17 X 14 feet showing the mineral district around Chattanooga, ninety-four miles east and west of that city and seventy-four miles north and south. This map was afterward exhibited at Paris and Vienna and was the means of bringing to the state millions of dollars which has been invested in the development of this mineral district. This map was also exhibited at the Nashville Centennial and now hangs in the Chamber of Commerce at Chattanooga.

It would be impossible to determine the far-reaching influences and benefits of Major Kelly’s life work. There is probably no industry or line of business that has not been benefited thereby and mining and commerce particularly have been greatly advanced through his labors. He has opened up to civilization various districts of this country, whither men have gone and in the development of the natural resources have secured wealth and comfort. He who places before his fellowmen the means of personal achievement and success may well be termed a benefactor of his race and such indeed is major Kelly. His more direct duties of citizenship, too, have also been ever faithfully performed. During the Civil war he entered the Federal service in the engineering department and under the authority of General Thomas and Grant he constructed the military warehouse and depots at Bridgeport and other points, continuing in the service until December 31, 1863. In 1869, 1870 and 1871 he was a prominent member of the state legislature and served on the railroad committee. During that time he was instrumental in securing the defeat of Andrew Johnson, who was a candidate for the United States senate. He also introduced into the legislature and secured the passage of the bill prohibiting the sale and giving away of liquor on election days, His political support is given the Republican party.

On the 20th of January, 1846, Major Kelly married Sarah Ann Hoge, who was born near Jasper, October 28, 1826, and died January 2, 1897. She was a daughter of John Hoge, a native of Virginia. Major and Mrs. Kelly became the parents of seven children, four of whom are now living: J. Crittenden, a farmer residing near his father; David Corry, a farmer and civil engineer of the same neighborhood; Alexander Scott, also a civil engineer and agriculturist; and Emma J., who is living with her father. The Major and his family are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, in which he has held the office of deacon. There are few men whose lives have been more eminently useful and while he is modest and unassuming in manner it is but just to say of Major Kelly that his labors have been of great benefit to his fellowmen and that he is therefore deserving of their highest gratitude and regard.

BALIS LADD, a leading representative of the agricultural interests of Marion county, Tenn., was born in 1833, upon the farm where he still continues to reside. It is a well-improved place, pleasantly located near Mont Eagle, at the head of Battle creek, and, being a thorough and skillful farmer, he has placed it under a high state of cultivation. His father, Washington Ladd, settled at what is now known as Ladd’s Cove many years ago, and throughout his life followed the occupation of farming. He reared a large family of children, ten in all, and died in 1894, at the ripe old age of eighty-six years.

Balis Ladd, who is the oldest of the family joined the Confederate army in 1861, and participated in many important battles and skirmishes, including the engagement at Fort Donelson. During his service he was taken prisoner, and was held captive for some time. In 1864, when the war was over, he returned home to resume agricultural pursuits.

At the age of thirty-five years Mr. Ladd was united in marriage with Miss Jennie Reed, who was born in Franklin county, Tenn., and is a daughter of Isaac Reed. Of the ten children born of this union, only five are now living. The parents are earnest and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and Mr. Ladd is a stalwart supporter of the Democratic party. Wherever known they are held in high regard, and their friends in Marion county are many.

WILLIAM LAY is the owner of one of the finest farms of Marion county, his valuable and highly cultivated tract of land being conveniently situated about five miles from Jasper. Its well-tilled field and substantial improvements indicate his careful supervision and progressive spirit, and he is numbered among the leading agriculturists of the community. His success is largely due to his own efforts and he has therefore justly won the proud American title of a “self-made man.” The study of biography yields to no other on point of interest and profit. It tells of success and defeat of men, the difficulties they have met and overcome, and gives us an insight into the methods and plans which they have followed so as to enable them to pass on the highway of life many who started far ahead of them in the race. The obvious lessons therein taught would prove of great benefit, if followed, and the example of self-made man should certainly encourage others to press forward.

In his business career Mr. Lay has won the success which ever crowns industrious and well-directed effort. He was born near Tazewell, Claiborne county, Tenn., May 7, 1847, and is a son of John and Mary (Odell) Lay. His father was also born near Tazewell, in Big Valley, and died in Campbell county, Tenn., in 1861. The grandfather of our subject, David Lay, died in Big Valley, at the very advanced age of about one hundred and eight years. He was an industrious farmer, and aided in the cultivation of his land almost up to the time of his death. He always raised his own tobacco, and in last years hoed his little crop while sitting in a chair. His wife died at the age of about ninety-six and about the same time her husband passed away. He was a Whig in politics, and his religious views harmonized with the doctrines of the Baptist church.

John Lay followed farming throughout his active business life and was a worthy and highly esteemed citizen. About 1851 he removed from Claiborne county to Campbell county, Tennessee, where he spent his remaining days. In connection with the cultivation of his land, he there operated a still. He was an advocate of the Union cause during the Civil war and was a man of honest convictions, true to his belief of the right. His wife, who was a member of the Missionary Baptist church, was born near Speedwell, Tennessee, and died at the home of our subject, in 1896, when sixty-seven years of age. In their family were ten children: Lavisa, wide of James Brown, of Arizona; Elizabeth, wife of J. H. Carnutt, of Arizona; David, who is living on the old home farm in Campbell county; William; Elijah, of Arizona; Elisha, twin brother of Elijah and a resident of Oklahoma; John, who is also living in Arizona; Mary, deceased; Rhodie, wife of Charles Wells, of Campbell county, Tenn.; and Nancy, widow of Ballard Lindawood and a resident of Fincastle, Tenn. The oldest son of the family, David Lay, served in the Union army as a member of the Sixth Tennessee Infantry.

When his brother went to war, the care of the mother and her younger children devolved upon the subject of this review, who nobly discharged the duties thus resting upon him. During the years of her widowhood his mother usually made her home with him, and his filial devotion repaid her for her care of him in youth. Mr. Lay was educated in the common schools and his life has always been a busy and useful one. In 1867, he went to Indiana, living first in Lebanon and afterward in Stanton. He spent three years in that state, devoting his energies to farming and the timber business, and later he occupied the position of weigher in a mine. In 1870 he took up residence in Campbell county, Tenn., and a year later came to Marion county. For eleven years he engaged in farming near Victoria, and then purchased his present desirable property at Rankin’s Cove, about five miles east of Jasper. There he carries on business with excellent success, making a specialty of stock-raising.

On the 14th of December, 1873, Mr. Lay was united in marriage to Miss Louisa Jane, daughter of G. W. Brown. She was born in Campbell county, Tenn., in 1850, and by her marriage had ten children, nine of whom are living, as follows: John, at home; James, deceased; George, Sarah, Alice, Lizzie, Janie, America, Willie and Celia, all yet under the parental roof. The parents are consistent and leading members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Sardis, in which Mr. Lay is serving as trustee. He is also a valued and prominent member of Altine lodge, A. F. & A. M., which he has represented in the grand lodge. He exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican party, and is deeply interested in the welfare of the community, giving to all measures for the general good the aid and cooperation of a loyal and public spirited citizen.

JAMES LONG- an honorable position among farmers of the Sixth district, Marion county, is willingly accorded to this gentleman by his associates. He occupies an immense and well developed farm and is operating a very extensive agricultural business, and is greatly respected in the community where he has spent the greater part of his life.

Mr. Long was born in Mullins Cove, Marion county, Tenn., February 11, 1855, and is a son of Henry M. and Sarah J. (McGill) Long. Henry M. was a son of Henry and Zilpha (Stepens) Long. Henry Long moved from Washington county, Va., in 1807, and settled in the Sequatchie valley, near Inman, and engaged in farming and dealing in stock for about four years. He then moved to Mullins Cove when he had to cut a road through the timber in order to move his goods to his new home and entered a large tract of land there. He settled near Oates Island and was the first man to move stock into that community. He died there September 16, 1875, at the age of ninety-four years, and his wife died in the year 1860, and both are buried in the cemetery the former selected before his death, on what is now our subject’s farm. They were the parents of a family of ten children, as follows: Jackson, Nancy, Mary, Alfred, James M., Susan, wife of Wilford Merritt, near Victoria; Henry M., the father of our subject; Minerva; David and Finetta, all of whom are dead except Susan,

Henry M. Long, the father of our subject was born in Mullens Cove and was educated in the public schools of that community, and throughout his life followed the occupation of farming and dealing in stock. He died at his home in 1857, and his wife died in June, 1856, and both are buried at Wahatchie. Both were members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. The mother and her daughter, Tennessee, both died on the same day of congestive chill, and both are buried in the same grave. Mr. And Mrs. Henry M. Long were the patents of a family of four children, of whom we have the following record: Tennessee, deceased; Maloy, a farmer in northwestern Louisiana; Balaam, a farmer living near Victoria, has been married twice. His first wife was Miss Mary Jackson, and after her death he married her sister, Hester Jackson. The fourth and youngest of this family is James, the subject of this sketch.

James Long received his primary training in the public schools of the district in which he spent his boyhood and supplemented it with a course in the Sequatchie college, near Pikeville, which is not now in operation, and also the Hiwassee College. He was married November 25, 1875, to Miss Rhoda E. Greer, who was born in Grassy Cove, October 9, 1855, and was educated in the same schools with our subject and their courtship began while they were in school. Mrs. Long taught school a few terms before her marriage. To this union have been born ten children, upon whom they have bestowed the following names: Cora M., Henry C., Moses M., Richard M., Susan O., James B., Flora T., Wed R., Cecil C. And William A., of whom, Moses M., the third in the order of birth, is dead. The nine living are still making their home with their parents. Mrs. Long is a member of the Christian church.

Mr. Long owns a part of his grandfather’s old farm, and in all has a tract of almost one thousand three hundred acres. He settled where he now lives in 1892. Politically he is a stanch and enthusiastic Republican, and on that ticket he was elected justice of the peace in 1895. In the same year, also, he was appointed postmaster at Oates Island, and has since served in that capacity, keeping the office in his home. He is a man of good business ability, and, as a farmer is recognized as one of the leading and influential agriculturists of the community. During the Civil war the Long family was in sympathy with the Federal cause.


return Return To Goodspeed's Biographies of Marion County Main Page

return Return To Marion County Home Page

September 3, 2003