New Market

 

header image

New Market

Newmarket is post town in Jefferson County, 15 miles from Dandridge and 24 east from Knoxville. This village has sprung up within the last eight years. It is situated in a beautiful valley about four miles west of Mossy creek on which there are a number of mills. The town is watered by Lost creek and contains about 250 inhabitants and a number of stores, taverns, workshops & more. The inhabitants are moral and industrious, and the Methodist Episcopal church have here a manual labor school called the Holston Seminary, which is a promising institution. A newspaper called the Newmarket Telegraph is published at this place. (Source: The Tennessee Gazetteer, Eastin Morris, 1834, p.124)

It was the home of Holston College and the New Market Academy.

It was also close to the site of a tragic train wreck in 1904. New Market Train Wreck

New Market slide show

Minnis House


 


 



 

 

top