New Market

 
 

Newmarket is post town in Jefferson County, 15 miles from Dandridge and 24 east from Knoxville. This village has sprung up within the last eight years. It is situated in a beautiful valley about four miles west of Mossy creek on which there are a number of mills. The town is watered by Lost creek and contains about 250 inhabitants and a number of stores, taverns, workshops & more. The inhabitants are moral and industrious, and the Methodist Episcopal church have here a manual labor school called the Holston Seminary, which is a promising institution. A newspaper called the Newmarket Telegraph is published at this place. (Source: The Tennessee Gazetteer, Eastin Morris, 1834, p.124)