The Gibson Co. TN Courthouse, through the years
The log courthouse, built in 1824, stood five years. In 1829 it was replaced by a two-story brick building, which cost the county about $6000. This building stood until 1837, when, being deemed unsafe, it was taken down, and a temporary courthouse was erected out of the material.
In 1839 the contract was let for the erection of a new and commodious building suitable to the wants of the county. The contractors upon this building were Robert Shaw and Robert Jetton. This courthouse was completed in 1841, at a total cost to the county of $20,000.
The picture above is that courthouse which stood for fifty-eight years as the temple of justice of the county. It was removed in 1899, and the present handsome and convenient structure was erected in its place which is pictured below.
(Taken from Gibson County Illustrated)
Photo taken in 1960's.
Here is the courthouse as it appears today. This photo taken by Eddy G. Clark on September 9, 1997.
Return to Gibson County Tennessee