VINCENT SPRINGS CAMPGROUND
by Raymond Halliburton
Vincent Springs, a camp meeting ground, is virtually unknown to the citizens of the Dyer Community. It is located two miles West of Dyer, one-half mile North of Currie Road directly behind the J. H. Woods house.
Vincent Springs was organized about 1897 by H. C. Morrison, president of Wilmore College of Kentucky and L. L. Pickett, a Bible teacher of the same College.
This was a non-denominational group but was made up mostly of Methodist people. A ten-day meeting was held each year in the first part of August. The services were conducted under a big tabernacle that could seat many people. A mourners bench was in the front of the tabernacle auditorium, plus a place for a big choir and a pulpit stand.
Preaching, shouting, praise, and testimony was the order of worship. Three services were held each day during the ten-day period by two different preachers. Many times Mrs. Wanda Wren Hall, a soloist, would sing "Telephone to Glory".
A few of the many preachers that can be named were: the Owens Brothers, Bud Robinson the Texas Cowboy. Cabins were built on the campground for people to live in who came and stayed for the ten-day meeting. A big spring on the northeast corner of the Porter Vincent farm furnished water for the camp. This is how the camp got the name Vincent Springs. This farm now belongs to Jerry Nee formerly owned by Dalton C. Rice.
This campground consisted of about four or five acres of land. The south end was on a hill where people hitched their horses. A restaurant was on the north. The Tabernacle was in between.
The preachers and many of the campers and visitors ate at the restaurant. The restaurant was on the lower part of the land not too far from the creek. It rained a terrible rain during one of the meetings and flooded the lower part of the camp. Water got so deep in the restaurant that the lady who operated it had to sit on the table. Ironically, she put her rocking chair on the table and rocked until the water ran down. A Mr. Jones had a horse to drown in the same flood. The horse was hitched to a tree below the restaurant.
Great crowds of people of all ages and all religious denominations went to Vincent Springs. The big tabernacle burned about 1932. A new smaller one was built and services continued until about 1935.
The camp is now on the west side of the Mrs. Joe Williams farm. The tabernacle has been moved near her house and is used as a barn.
Boys and girls met at Vincent Springs. Some of them married later. One of these was Mrs. Fannie Richardson Nicholson who met her husband, Garland Nicholson at one of these meetings.
Mrs. Fannie had typhoid fever when she was small, and she wanted to get well really fast so she could go to the Vincent Springs Restaurant to get an ice cream cone. Nothing was better in those days than an ice cream cone from Vincent Springs. Her Parents, the late Mr. end Mrs. George Richardson, lived only a short distance south of the camp on Currie Road.
Mr. Sam F. Sims was president of the camp for a number of years. Mr. Jules Nee was vice-president; Mr. Joe Hall was treasurer. Mr. Sims was Pike Sims and Flora Craver's father, and Mr. Nee was Mrs. Pike Sims and Arland Nee's grandfather.
Compiled by Raymond Halliburton many years ago.
Submitted byCharles W. McCollum