Captain Charles Barham Chapter
Charter member Malissa Wilson Humphreys, Maplewood Cemetery in Paris, TN November 9, 1991. Charter member Kate Elizabeth Dill Morgan, Ridgecrest Cemetery in Jackson, TN  September 11, 1993.
Charter Member Elizabeth Morgan McCutchen, Ridgecrest Cemetery in Jackson, TN  June 6, 1998. Dorothy Stone Anderson, Vernon Cemetery in Toone, TN August, 8, 2002.
Past Chapter President and TN Dame of the Year (2004) Virginia Stone Sylvester, Memorial Gardens Cemetery in Jackson, TN October 1, 2007. 

Chucaqua Chapter
Organizing President Mildred Burroughs McCallen (Mrs. Robert) at Riverside Cemetery in Memphis, TN June 30, 1978. Member Blanche Rhyne Pharr (Mrs. Walter Nelson) at Forest Hill Midtown Cemetery, Memphis, TN October 21, 1981.
Member and Charter Member of the Tennessee Society, Willie Pearl Inman Fowler (Mrs. Fredrick Thomas) at Somerville, TN Cemetery June 23, 1986.  A magnolia, for which her home had been named, was placed on her grave..
Past Chapter President Hilda Keller Burrow (Mrs. John) at historic Bethlehem Cemetery, Henning, TN June 14, 1987.  Author of "Tennessee Our Heritage."  Served as 2nd vice President of State Society.
Member and Past President Dorothy Griffin McCaslin (Mrs. William Y.) at Memorial Park Cemetery, Memphis, TN October 25, 1998. Member Julia Frances Ballard Bruch (Mrs. Donald J.) at Memory Hills Garden Cemetery, Memphis, TN November 3, 2002.
Member and past President Ann Lillian Hammond McDonald (Mrs. Hugh M.) at St. John’s Episcopal Church Cemetery, Memphis, TN September 4, 2004. Member and past President Kittie Susan Kee Noyes (Mrs. Ralph L.) at Maplewood Cemetery in Ripley, TN November 13, 2005.  Served as Tennessee State President 1989-1991 and was Dame of the Year.
Clarendon Chapter
Miss Caroline Lanier at College Grove Cemetery November 10, 1974.
Prudhomme Fort Chapter
Organizing Tennessee State President Maud Calloway Hays at Forest Hill Cemetery in Chattanooga, TN April 24, 2004. Mrs. Hays' son, Don C. Hays, accepted the marker.
Prudhomme Fort Chapter
Chickasaw Heritage Park (formerly Desoto Park and originally Fort Pickering) in Memphis, TN August 20, 1964. Inscription on marker: “In this section of the Clarendon Grant, on the Chucaqua portion of the Mississippi River, LaSalle, the French Explorer, Built Fort Prudhomme in 1682.”  Early in 1682 LaSalle, carrying a commission from Louis XIV, King of France, and his party navigated the Mississippi River, stopping at the first Chickasaw Bluff where they built a fort called Prudhomme, in honor of the expedition’s armorer, “the first white man’s lodgings in the limits of the present state of Tennessee.”
Moved to original Fort Prudhomme site March 25, 2017 (second picture).  In 2009, while trying to locate the marker, John Madison members Benita Brown and her daughter Elizabeth Brown Watts discovered the stone lying facedown in the dirt. Through efforts of then State Chairman of Marking and Preservation of Historic Sites, Phyllis Little, also a chapter member, the marker was replaced and secured in a footing in 2010 by Memphis Park Services, who said they had always wondered what thelarge stone was, as no inscription was visible.  In 2016 the Tennessee State Society was approached regarding the possibility of relocating the marker to the actual original site of Fort Prudhomme, which it, in fact, commemorates. Following approval by the State Society, the marker was moved to its new site in Tipton County, Tennessee on the second Chickasaw Bluff near present day Randolph, where, in 1682, Robert Cavelier Sieur de La Salle, while exploring the Mississippi River, stopped on the Second Chickasaw Bluff and built Fort Prudhomme. That fort became his supply depot for his trip to the Gulf of Mexico where he claimed the Mississippi Valley for the King of France.

State President Dr. Martha W. Bradley dedicated four markers December 21, 2002
Sycamoare Shoals State Park in Elizabethton, Carter County, TN December 21, 2002. Inscription on Marker “Here at Sycamore Schoals began the struggle to take and claim American’s First Frontier from the Cherokee and then to secure it from the hands of the British.  The Overmountain Men mustered here in 1780 before marching to King’s Mountain where they defeated the British.  This victory helped to turn the tide of the American Revolution.”
Capitol of the State of Franklin.  Big Spring (Greenville) in Green Co. TN December 21, 2002. Inscription on Marker:
“The State of Franklin Capitol Building 1785-1788 At Big Springs, TN  Original cabin completed 1785 taken to Nashville 1846 for Quinquagenary Celebration this replica from the same period placed on original site for 1996 bicentennial John Sevier – First and only Governor of State of Franklin”
Chester Inn, Jonesborough, TN December 21, 2002.  Inscription on Marker:
Chester Inn built in 1797 by William Chester in Jonesborough, TN, state’s first capitol city headquarters of National Story Telling Foundation in 1997 Office of International Storytelling Center 1999”
Rocky Mount Living Museum, Sullivan Co. TN December 21, 2002.  Inscription on Marker:
“Rocky Mount home Built by William Cobb in 1772 served as the territorial capitol of the southwest territory 1790-1792 President George Washington appointed William Blount to serve as Governor of the new territory until 1792 Rocky Mount Living History Museum established in 1962 interprets region’s history and diverse cultural heritage”
Bradley’s Creek Baptist Church. Rutherford County, TN September 4, 2003. Mrs. Etta Lester, a descendant of Joshua Lester unveiled the marker and Ronald Martin, elder of the church accepted the marker.  Inscription on Marker:  “Bradley’s Creek Baptist Church 1833; 1800-1817 Rev. Moore Stephenson preached to a group of pioneers.  He died 1818 and work was turned over to Rev. Joshua Lester, 1819 Church was constituted with the help of elders, Joshua Lester, Gideon Rucker, John Warren and David Jordon.”
Captain Charles Barham Chapter
Clement Log Cabin.  Henry Co. TN  June 9, 1984. The cabin, built by Mr. Van Cleve in the Clifty Community in 1823, was later the home of his daughter Sarah and her husband William Clement.  Charter of Captain Charles Barham Chapter signed in this cabin on May 31, 1980.  Marker inscription:  “Clement Log Cabin oldest log cabin still standing in Henry County built in 1823”
Corum Home.  Paris TN June 9, 1984. Dr. Corum, who purchased the home in 1897, was one of the early physicians in Henry County.  Inscription on Marker:  “Corum Home Oldest Home still standing in original city of Paris built in 1838.”
St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Jackson, TN September 13, 1986. Church was organized in 1832 and a small frame church was built in 1844 on the present lot. In 1853, the building, pews and chancel were finished and consecrated. The church’s Altar Cross and Alms Basin were a gift in 1867 by the Duchess of Trek of England. Inscription on Marker:  “St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Organized July 23rd 1832 One of oldest Episcopal Churches in West Tennessee”
    Click pictures for larger images.

Porter-Hagler Home in Henry County, TN June 9, 1984.  John Leland Hagler built home in 1819.  His daughter Evalina married Nathaniel Porter, and the house remained in the Porter family until 1995. Home is on the National Historic Register.  Inscription on Marker:  “Porter-Hagler Home Oldest brick home in West Tennessee Brick made by slave labor 1819”
The Porter House in Paris, TN, October 28, 1988.  House designed and built by Thomas Wall Crawford in 1848, using slave labor and bricks made on site.  House purchased by John and Marietta Dunlap whose daughter Susannah married James Davis Porter.  House remained in Porter family until 1985.  Inscription on Marker: “Home of James D. Porter Born Dec. 17, 1828 – Died May 18, 1912 Governor of Tennessee 1875-1879 Member of Constitutional Convention 1870 Member of Tennessee General Assembly 1859 Assistant Secretary of State 1885 U.S Minister to Chile 1892.”
Paris-Henry Co. Heritage Center in Paris, TN September 14, 1996.   This magnificent building, built in 1914, was the home of Col. O. C. Barton and his wife Tillie Cavitt who imported a stonecutter from Italy to do the elaborate stonework and an artist from St. Louis to paint the frescoes. The interior has its original mahogany and walnut woodwork, mantles, marble entry floors and stained glass windows. The house was sold to Henry County in 1942, and in 1988 Henry County gave it to the Paris-Henry County Heritage Center to be used as a teaching museum for local history.  Inscription on Marker:  “Paris-Henry County Heritage Center Home of O.C. Barton Built 1914 Museum for Cultural and Historical Activities to Enhance the Present and Future.”
Bemis United Methodist Church in Bemis, TN  November 22, 1998.  J. M. Bemis, founder of Bemis Cotton Mill, built the church in 1908. All material for this church was shipped from Boston, MA, and the church was constructed without any nails. The historical plaque was dedicated to the memory of Rev. & Mrs. William O. Stone.  Rev. Stone served this church 1920-1930.  Inscription on Marker:  “Bemis United Methodist Church Built by J.M. Bemis, Boston, MA Founder of the Bemis Cotton Mill Design – Old English Architecture Built of materials shipped from Boston Dedicated as a Union Church April 19, 1908 J. B Young, First Manager of Bemis Mill Served as first Sunday School Superintendent Deeded and Rededicated in 1949 to the Memphis Annual Conference of the Former Methodist Church serving the community in Christian Outreach for Generations to come.”

Paris City Cemetery Fence Posts, June 5,1999.  The iron posts used at the Paris City Cemetery were originally on the John Wesley Crockett Home in Paris.  John Wesley Crockett was the eldest son of David Crockett.  John Wesley Crockett and his wife Martha Hamilton are buried in the cemetery. Mr. W.T. Porter later owned the home, and Helenar Kane Currier, a descendant of the Porter family, donated the posts.  Inscription on Marker:  “Iron Posts from Original site of John Wesley Crockett Home later home of W. T. Porter”

Paris City Cemetery, Ruff Street, Paris, TN June 5, 1999.  The cemetery is on land donated by A.W. Hicks in 1840 and James D. Porter in 1869.  In 1894 the wrought iron fence around the old house was moved to the Ruff Street side of the cemetery. The Chapter petitioned the city in 1998 to approve restructuring and repairing the iron fence, straightening leaning monuments, placing a sign at the entrance and generally improving the cemetery where many members of pioneer families and leaders of Henry County are buried.  Inscription on Marker: “Paris City Cemetery Wrought Iron Section removed from the original Court House in 1894 and installed on the Ruff Street side North, East, and South sides installed in 1972 Wrought Iron Section completed 1999 Funded by Paris City Cemetery Association”
Sunnyside School, Sunnyside Community, Henry County, TN October 23. 2004. Present school built in early 1900’s when Henry County required a schoolhouse had to be within 1.5 miles of every student.  School closed in 1942 and was turned over to the Sunnyside Community Club, which made many changes.  Dale Bell bought the property and restored it to its original form. Inscription on Marker: “Sunnyside School House – built in early 1900’s Only restored one-room schoolhouse in Henry County Renovated by Dale and Connie Bell 2004.” Peter J. Swink Home, located 8.5 miles south of Jackson, TN on Hwy. 18, September 12, 1998.  This home was an Inn as well as the first stagecoach stop between Memphis and Nashville.  The first windmill in Madison County was also on this property (1838). Peter Swink was an ancestor of Virginia Stone Sylvester, chapter member.  Inscription on Marker:  Stagehouse First Stagecoach stop in West Tennessee Built 1848.”
Robert E. Lee School, Paris, TN October 22, 2006.  Current building housed Paris’ first public school, the City High School, on the same site as the Paris Male Academy begun in 1825.  Served as the Robert E. Lee Elementary School from 1906 – 1975.  Restoration began in 2001 when an Ad Hoc Lee School Committee was organized.  The Lee School Academy for the Arts was established in 2004 to serve students of all ages.  Inscription on Marker: “This historic site was dedicated to Education in 1825 by the founding citizens of Paris and Henry County. It was the Paris Male Academy, a private school, until 1881, when public education began as the Paris City School. Around 1906 the building was named for General Robert E. Lee.  Elementary classes were held here until 1975.  The building is now the home for the Academy of Arts, Providing Education in the Cultural Arts, serving persons of all ages.”
S.J. Routon Home, Paris, TN May 17, 2008.  Home of State Senator S.J. Routon, a respected member of a pioneer family of Henry County and his wife "Miss Pearl" Sanders Routon.  Senator Routon was instrumental in getting pensions for Confederate veterans after the Civil War.  The home was built in 1915, a Victorian floor plan with 3 stories. "Miss Pearl" was a very talented artist, musician, politician, and civic and social leader.  Her "Pearl Flower Gardens" displayed many hundreds of varieties of iris that she developed.  She was instrumental in having the purple iris named as the Tennessee State flower. During World War I she had the only greenhouse between Nashville and Memphis. The furnishings of the home, now owned by granddaughter, Stephanie Routon Tayloe, still display the Victorian Period.         
First Presbyterian Church, Paris,TN November 15, 2008. The church began as a Southern Presbyterian church organized in the 1820s by nine men and one woman who each donated $100.  A house of worship and a manse was built on N. Market Street. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in 1857 at this location with most of the Southern congregation remaining. The Paris Masonic Lodge deeded their building on Poplar Street in 1866 to the church Elder for $1,000.  In December 1910 the church sold the building back to the Masons and purchased the land where the church currently is located, the corner of Market and Blythe Streets. From 1913-1917 the congregation met in the Circuit Court room of the Courthouse and stored their pulpit furniture in the courthouse. (This furniture is still used in the present church)  In 1916 the cornerstone was laid and the first service held in the building in 1917. The treasured stained glass windows are among the most beautiful to be found in any church in this area. Church members donated each window in memory of loved ones.     
Click pictures for larger images.
Henry County, TN Courthouse, Paris, TN July 21, 2012.  Marker inscription reads:  Built in 1896.  West Tennessee's oldest working courthouse.  Court - First held in Peter Wall's home in 1821.  A log courthouse built in Clifty 1823.  Two story brick courthouse erected on this land in 1825 and replaced in 1852.  the county's first murder led to the landmark "State vs. Grainger" case (1830) that set a precedent for self defence as the basis for appeal.  During the Civil War, Confederate military units were organized here in 1860 and also 1861.  Union forces occupid the courthouse in 1862.  Troops were sent from here in WWI and WWII.  Silver dollars donated by citizens are melted in the bell in the tower.  In war and peace this courthouse is the center of the community.
Brandon-Sykes Showboat House, W. D. Sykes Memorial Museum, Dover, TN September 27, 2014.  House built in 1888 by Nathan G. Brandon.  W. D. Sykes became the 4th owner in 1919.  He was a successful business man during the Depression years.  A staunch Democrat who entertained Governor Austin Peay, U.S. Secretary of State Cordell Hull and U.S. Representative Joseph Burns during the rebuilding of Fort Donelson National Park in the 1930's.  He was a dedicatd humanitarian who donated the lumber to build the first high school in Dover in 1919.  The home was donated to the Stewart County Historical Society by W. D. Sykes' daughter, Rebecca Sykes Wilford in 1998.  The balconies represent the river showboats.  The museum houses artifacts of Stewart County and the Sykes family.  Historical events continue to be hosted here.
Mandle Harding House, Paris, TN October 10, 2015.  Marker inscription reads Built by Barton Lasater in 1920.  Purchased 1923 by Sidney Mandle, owner of Kentucky/Tennessee Clay Company.  Bricks made in Puryear from Henry County clay.  Remodeled and expanded in 1933 to a colonial design with Georgian Revival influence including a third floor ballroom, five bedrooms and a four-car garave.  Cherry and walnut woodwork by master craftsman Clem Krider.  Michigan slate floor and fireplace in the den.  Dining room mural painted in 1934 from early 1800's French wallpaper design.  Servant call buttons throughout the house.  During WWII, temporary residence of General John Maynard, Commander of Camp Tyson Barrage Balloon Training Base.  Purchased in 1998 by Ray and Noragene Harding.
   For more pictures of the marking, click on "Pictures" on the menu bar at top of page.
Lewis-Lyle House, Indian Mound, TN May 14, 2016.  Marker inscription reads The home of Major Thomas W. Lewis , a Confederate veteran of the Fifth Tennessee Volunteer Regiment.  He made the first plea for pensions for Tennessee Confederate veterans.  The original home was built in the early 1800's and was burned in 1890 by a man who was agry at Major Lewis.  It was rebuilt in the Greek Revival Style on its original foundation with bricks made on the property.  the architecture was fashioned after a mansion in Charleston, SC.  
Chucaqua Chapter
Rembert Place, Millington, TN November 5, 2000.  Farming began on Seven Hills Plantation, later known as the Rembert Place, in 1821 by the ancestors of the current owners.  The current home was built in 1844. This is the oldest continuously farmed homestead in Shelby County.  St. Anne's Episcopal Church had its beginnings on the grounds of the plantation in the early 1800s.     
Sigler Cemetery, located on Ward Road in the Shelby Forest area of Shelby Co, TN November 14, 2004.  William and Nancie Sigler gave land for the Independence Methodist Church in 1855, and his son gave the land for the church cemetery.  Inscription on Marker: “Sigler Cemetery Donated by Wm and Nancie Sigler Oldest grave Martha M.C. Sigler 1835-1859”

Clarendon Chapter
Sneed Acres, Brentwood area of Williamson County TN September 25, 1982.  James Sneed and his wife received a land grand from NC for 640 acres in 1798.  Plantation home is an excellent example of a step-backed chimney construction.  Inscription on Marker: ““Sneed Acres.  Sneed Acres was established as a plantation in 1798 by James Sneed (1764-1833) and wife, Bethenia Harden Perkins Sneed (1770-1812). They came to this area from Halifax County, Virginia.  Three original buildings remain on this site with a portion of old log home being incorporated into present home.  Tree sons built homes nearby. Windy Hill ca 1825 by Constantine; Brentvale ca 1830 by William Temple, and Foxview ca 1835 by Alexander Ewing.  Sneed family members are buried in cemetery just south of here.  Dr. William J Sneed, grandson of James was one of the founders of Mcharry Medical College.” Andrew Crockett Cemetery, Williamson Co. TN September 16, 1987. Marker was placed on the old stonewall surrounding the cemetery.  Andrew Crockett and his wife Sarah “Sally” Elliott Crockett came to TN in the early 1800s from VA to settle on the Little Harpeth River on 640 acres received as a Revolutionary War land grant.  His home, Forge Seat, located across Crockett road from the cemetery, was the site of rifle production for the War of 1812.  Inscription on Marker:  “Andrew Crockett 1745 – 1821 Revolutionary War Land Grant Crockett’s Home “Forge Seat” across road.”
Oak Hall, Wilson Pike in Williamson County. November 19, 1988. James Hazard Wilson II built the house in 1845 for his oldest son Samuel. When James married Emiline Wilson in 1825, Sam Houston served as his best man.  The home is made of bricks made on the plantation and poplar wood grown there. Inside the entrance hall there is a free standing spiral staircase leading to the third floor ballroom. Oak Hall is so named for a grove of white oaks still standing today.  The home is listed on the National Registrar of Historic Places. Inscription on Marker: “Oak Hall built in 1845 in a grove of ancient oaks, by James Hazard Wilson II, the plantation owner with the “Midas Touch”, for his first son, Samuel. During the Civil War, when soldiers were in the area, the family’s thoroughbred horses were blindfolded and led up the spiral staircase to the grand ballroom of the third floor.  The memories of a Civil War, death, weather and abundance of mighty oak trees, tie Oak Hall and the Wilson family to the bonds of American History.”
Andrew Scott Home, Culleoka, TN November 6, 1997. In 1817 Scott purchased 60 acres of land for $500 as a building site for this house. The house was built between 1818-1821. The structural walls are three bricks thick. The palladium style house consists of a two-story center section with single story wings on each side. Andrew Scott lived in the house until his death in 1869. He and his wife Mary Doaks Matthew had fourteen children, eleven boys and three girls.  The house fell into disrepair and was sold at auction in 1978. The current owners renovated the house and it is now listed on the National and Tennessee Register of Historic Places and is pictured in “Architecture of the Old South: Kentucky and Tennessee”.  James Scott, a great, great grandson of Andrew Scott, gave the history of the Scott family and home at the marker dedication.
Hugh M. McAdoo House. 113 N. Church Street, Waverly, TN.  September 19, 1998.  Home, built c 1878, is a distinctive example of late Victorian-Italian Villa style. Hugh M. McAdoo, the original owner, practiced law in Waverly, and served as a State Representative and Senator.  House is on the National Register of Historic Places.  Inscription on Marker:  “McAdoo House Built 1878 by Hugh M. McAdoo”.
Humphreys County Museum, 331 E. Main Street, Waverly, TN September 19, 1998.  The museum was originally the Butterfield House, built in 1922 by Archibald D. Butterfield and his wife Lyda.  Museum contains many artifacts from the history of Humphreys County.  Inscription on Marker:  “Humphreys County Museum Promoted by Weems Foundation for Education”
Nolan House, 375 Highway 13 North, Waverly, TN September 19, 1998.  The original owner, James Nicholas Nolan, was Comptroller of the State of Tennessee in 1881.  House had first indoor bathroom in Waverly. Inscription on Marker:  “Nolan House built 1870 by Lt. James N. Nolan First Artillery Battery Fort Hill”
William Enochs Grist Mill, 3072 Little Blue Creek, McEwen, TN September 19, 1998.  William Enochs moved to Liberty Community near McEwen in 1911 and built a dam across the Little Blue Creek to provide electricity. In 1934 he built a log mill house using a 120-year-old gristmill from Pennsylvania passed down by the Shawl family to the Enochs family. Mill is still used today to grind corn meal.  Inscription on Marker: “Enochs Grist Mill Built in Pennsylvania 1868 Presented by J.W. Shawl”
Pisgah United Methodist Church, Plant Community, New Johnsonville, TN December 13, 1998.  Church was founded in 1895, dedicated September 23, 1897 and originally named Pisgah Methodist Episcopal Church South - Dickson District.  Inscription on Marker: “Pisgah United Methodist Church Established 1895 Plant Community Humphreys County TN”
Warren-Cooley-Poyner House 4576 Old State Rd, New Johnsonville, TN December 13, 1998. Land purchased by Dr. and Mrs. J.T. Cooley in late 1800s. Their daughter Eudora Jane Cooley married Mortimer Knox Poyner who built the original house with Milas T. Warren in 1880 and added several rooms to the house after their children were born.  Construction remains the same today except for closing in the dogtrot between the kitchen and bedroom.  Inscription on Marker: “Warren-Cooley-Poyner House Built 1880 yy Milas T. Warren and M. K. Poyner”
Jerusalem Cumberland Presbyterian Church - 7192 Mona Road, Murfreesboro, TN November 22, 2008.  The church was organized in 1840 on the present site.  The second building was built in 1867 and the present building in 1906.

Colonel George Eskridge Chapter
Ivandale, Martin TN Mary 20, 1987.  Dr. Charles M. Sebastian built this Queen Ann style home in 1894 and named it “Ivandale” in honor of his son.  It was the second home on this site.  Dr. Sebastian and his family lived in the previous home during the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1878.  He was one of the first to attribute this disease to the mosquito, which was later verified by Dr. Walter Reed. Inscription on Marker:  “Ivandale 1894 home of Dr. C. M. Sebastian who evolved the theory that Yellow Fever was carried by an insect.”
John Madison Chapter
Memorial Hall, First Presbyterian Church, Jackson, TN April 29, 2006.  Building situated on site of Willow Banks, home of Colonel William H. Stephens and built in 1824 for William Epsy on a land grant of 640 acres.  Col. Stephens was a clerk of the Supreme Court of Tennessee 1840-1857 and led the 6th TN Infantry at the Battle of Shiloh.  Clarence Pigford acquired the property in 1918 and built a new home incorporating some of the earlier buildings.  Home now serves as church offices and a reception hall.  Inscription on Marker: “On this site stood “Willow Banks” the old home of William H. Stephens, prominent attorney, banker and Colonel of the 6th Tennessee Infantry, CSA.  A new home on this site, Chevy Chase, was built in 1918 by Clarence Pigford and donated to the First Presbyterian Church in 1951.”    
Reid House, Denmark, TN October 25. 2008.  The historic home, built in 1852 in the Greek Revival style, is a white clapboard house featuring a full-height, four-columned entry porch and a central doorway, flanked by a window on either side.  The interior of the house features a central hallway running from the front to back door, from which open six rooms, three on either side of the hall.  The house was built using slave labor by James William Reid for his wife Nancy Temperance Turner Reid and their nine children.  The Reids were from a prosperous North Carolina family that established a cotton plantation on a 2000-acre tract of land. The house remained the home of the Reid family for over one hundred years, and is the ancestral home of John Madison Chapter Organizing President, Jo Ann Birmingham.  It is now the home of Mr. and Mrs. Gregg Hardee.

Spragins-Williamson House, Jackson, TN June 18, 2011.  The Spragins-Williamson House, built in 1939, was designed by world renowned architect, A. L. Aydelott of Memphis, TN.  Though Al Aydelott, was noted for his modern architecture, the Spragins-Williamson house is a Federal style mansion.  The house was originally sited on a large tract of land, which, at that time, was a considerable distance from downtown Jackson.  The home was built by prominent Jacksonians, Mr. and Mrs. Hearn Spragins.  it was later the home of their son's family, Mr. and Mrs. Sid Spragins.  Both of the afore-mentioned men were prominent attorneys, and community leaders. 
   The property, which has been the home of Dr. and Mrs. Felix Earl Williamson III and their three children since 1992, has always been lovingly cared for.  The current owners have had additions made to the house within the last fifteen years that enhance its original design and are in keeping with its architectural style.

Demark Presbyterian Church and Cemetery, Denmark, TN September 12, 2015.  Serving a congregation that dated to 1820, the two-story church that stands today was built with slave labor that hand-hewed the lumber and fashioned the nails on site.  After roughly five years of construciton, the present structure was completed in 1854, and originally housed Masonic Lodge #154 on the second floor.  Many of the Mason's signatures and dates are still visible on the lodge's wall and door.  Though most of the earliest records were lost in the Civil War, the church has a rich history that even includes a story of Confederate soldiers escaping approaching Union troops by hiding under ladies hoop skirts during a Church service.  The upper floor also housed captured Union soldiers, some of whose names can still be seen on  baseboards.
   In 2008 the big Black Creek Historical Association, headed by Bill King, undertook the restoration of the Church which was by then in serious structural decline.  With funds from a TDOT grant, a small National Trust grant, other contributions, and much volunteer work, the restoration was completed recently.  Though the church has not had an active congregation since around 1990, it is the site of occasional church services, community activites, and weddings.  It is on the National Register of Historic Sites.
   The nearby cemetery had its first burial in 1824, a twelve year old boy named John Wharton.  It is still used, and many descendants of early church members continue to be interred in its grounds.

For more pictures of the marking, click on "Pictures" on the menu bar at top of page.
John McKnitt Chapter
White Plains, the Burton/Willis home located in Cookeville, TN, June 6, 2009.  This Historical Marking was part of an entire weekend celebration of the settling of this land by Lt. William P. Quarles and his family.  The original home, which had its beginnings approximately 161 years ago, had eight rooms:  four downstairs and four upstairs.  A large porch was along the entire back of the home and the home included a kitchen that was set off by a connecting breezeway to the dining room.  Other dependencies included the smoke house, milk house, well house and slave cabins along with other buildings necessary for a large working farm.  The Burton family inhabited the home until the mid 1850's when the current owner's grandfather purchased it and added the wings and the brick.
Prudhomme Fort Chapter
Little Owl Village Cemetery Audobon Acres, Chattanooga, TN October 26, 1986.  A marker was placed on the site of the cemetery by the chapter in conjunction with the Audobon Society.
Old Brainerd Cemetery, about five miles northeast of Chattanooga, TN June 8, 1995.  A granite marker was placed in the Old Brainerd Cemetery, the last physical trace of the Congregationalist (Presbyterian) mission to the Cherokees that operated between 1818 and 1838.
John Brown's Ferry Tavern near Chattanooga, TN May 7, 2000.  The log building, built by Casper Vaught in 1803, is an excellent example of frontier architecture.  John Brown, a Cherokee, operated it as an overnight stopping place for travelers through the Cherokee nation, since it was located about a mile from Brown's Ferry, the traditional Indian crossing of the Tennessee River on the Great Trading Path.  John Brown went west in the Cherokee Removal of 1838, but returned in 1840 and took up residence in the Tavern.

David Beck, prominent in the founding of Chattanooga. Marker was placed in the Beck Cemetery at the corner of Dorchester and Devonshire streets in North Chattanooga March 6, 2015.  David Beck moved from Pennsylvania to Rhea County in the late 1700's or early 1800's and built his first home in the Riverview area about 1822.  At that time, south of the Tennessee River still belonged to the Cherokees; however, white settlers had begun to encroach on their lands north of the river.  David Beck (1765-1841) is considered one of the Founding Fathers of Chattanooga.  He owned all of the area north of the Tennessee River, specifically what is now Riverview, in North Chattanooga and Stuart Heights.
     The Beck family owned several thousand acres and operated their quarry form which came the rock for the old Methodist Church steeple which still stands today on the corner of McCallie Avenue and Georgia Avenue, as well as some of the rock used for the piers of the Walnut Street Bridge.
Jackson Chapel Cemetery Hamilton County, TN, September 15, 2017.  Located inside the entrance to Chester Frost Park on Chickamauga Lake.  Earliest known burial is 1810.  Marker placed in honor of David and Bernice Pitts Nelson.  The history of Jackson Chapel Cemetery states that the land was owned by Cherokees for hundreds of years. The first county seat of Hamilton County was located on the reservation of Cherokee Fox Taylor (grandson of Nancy Ward), land being confirmed to him by the Treaty of 1819; and was later sold to Asabel Rawlings, an early pioneer, who is buried in the cemetery with wife, Phoebe Rawlings. Historic crypts, stones, and arrowhead markers reflect the early founders of Hamilton County.

Reverend Henry Smith Chapter
Greenlevel, Collierville, TN May 22, 1999.  The home was built around 1830 and purchased in 1850 by philanthropist and statesman, Dr. Virginium Leake.  Served as a hospital during the Civil War following the Battle of Shiloh.  Dr. Leake was elected to the Tennessee State Senate in 1872.  The ante-bellum two-story home has a central plan with a portico supported by four octagonal columns.  The windows have triangular lintels and the door have sidelights and transoms.  Greenlevel was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places on March 5, 1987.
Stratton-Owen Place, Collierville, TN October 16, 1999.  This historic home is a two-story house with a  Greek revival portico supported by two octagonal columns with a balcony with carved wooden railing over the entrance built by Dr. A. S. Stratton in 1870, and now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Jack Owens.  Inscription on Marker:  Stratton-Owen Place 1870 Dr. A. S. Stratton, Mercantile Partner, son-in-law Turner Humphreys.
Davies Manor 3570 Davieshire, Bartlett, TN, April 6, 2013.  Davies Manor, the oldest log house open to the public in Shelby County, was built on property granted as a Military Warrant to Thomas Henderson of Madison County, TN in 1821.  The house, originally a one-room log cabin, later was enlarged by subsequent owners.  The plantation home takes its name from William Early Davies, a Methodist minister and flour mill operator, who purchased the property in 1851.  The Davies descendants continued to own the property until well into the second half of the 20th century.  It is presently under the auspices of the non-profit Davies Manor Association, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Sir Hugh Bullocke Chapter
Clay Hill United Methodist Church Lewisburg, TN November 4, 2001.  Near the present site, a large log church was first built and replaced by the present timber-framed building in the Carpenter Vernacular Style in 1877.  With the  unification of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Protestant Church in 1945, the church was referred to as Mount Pleasant Clay Hill United Methodist church, but the present congregation was granted permission to change the name to Clay Hill United Methodist Church in 1997.
Grave of J. W. Hutton, Hutton Cemetery at the Clay Hill United Methodist Church, Lewisburg, TN November 4, 2001.  Jonathan W. Hutton, born August 8, 1809 in KY and died August 5, 1899 in Marshall Co., TN, donated the land for the Clay Hill United Methodist church on February 16, 1877.  His words upon this gift were "For the love of God and the Methodist Protestant church in the annual conference of the Tennessee District, attract a land in Marshall County In District 7, I donate this land to the Methodist Episcopal Church."
Thomas Lygon Chapter
March 29, 1995.  The Thomas Lygon Chapter was instrumental in getting the Tennessee Historical Commission to place a marker on The Fisk Female Academy, originally located in Hilham, TN but relocated near the Standing Stone Park in Nashville, TN.
Woman's Club of Nashville, Nashville, TN April 18, 1999.  Originally the home of Judge Daniel, the Women's Club of Nashville purchased the house and restored and upgraded the property.  Marker dedicated in 1999 to commemorate the Club's 90 years of service and commitments to the community and for the Club's role in preserving and protecting this historic building.