Creation of Blount County
Blount a county in East Tennessee
erected by the Territorial Legislature July 11, 1795, and was
represented in the Convention that formed the constitution by David
Craig, James Greenaway, Joseph Black, James Houston, and Samuel
Glass. It is bounded on the south by Monroe on the north by Knox and
Sevier, east by the state of North Carolina and on the west by part
of Roane. It is thirty eight miles long with a mean width of 18 and
contains an area of about 625 square miles. The surface is hilly and
varied. Staples: grain, flour, and salted provisions. Blount
contained, in 1820, a population of 11,368, of which 1011 were
slaves. Little and Holston rivers on the north and north west and
Little Tennessee on the south west are its principal waters.
Eight miles west of Maryville, is a spring to the south of which, is a bridge; at the base of which is a sink hole. One standing on the side of the bridge and looking through a fissure into the rocks may see water nearly upon a level with his breast in which are fish. The spring is fifteen feet lower, and one hundred and fifty feet from the spot where the water is seen, in the interior of the cave. This spring is unfathomable. The water is clear and of a bluish cast. Near the base of the bridge is a sinkhole in which there is no water. Gold is found in this county on the east border.
The towns in this county are Maryville, the seat of Justice, Louisville, Unitia, and Morganton. There are also post offices at Chota,Mount Pisgah Nine Mile Creek and Cloverhill.
It contained in 1830 a population of 11,027
Source: The Tennessee Gazetteer, Or Topographical Dictionary,Eastin Morris,W.H. Hunt & Company, 1834, pp. 15-16)