1873 Kelly's

 

1873 Kelly's

courtesy of Suezan Elliott via Wayne George

St ERTH - is a parish and village, 2 miles south from Hayle, in the western
district of the county, Penwith Hundred, Penzance Union and county court
district,, rural deanary of Penwith, Cornwall archdeaconry, and Exeter
diocese, situated on the Hayle river and estuary.

The St Ives Road station on the West Cornwall railway is in the parish,
which includes a portion of the town of Hayle. The church of St-Erth, dating
from around the 15th century, is a building in the Perpendicular style, and
was extensively repaired in 1798; it is now about to undergo a thorough,
repair, with considerable alterations.: It has chancel, nave, aisles, tower,
porch and three bells, and contains some brasses, monuments of considerable
interest of the DAVIES, GIDDY and GILBERT families, and old register chest.

The register dates from the year 1563. The living is a vicarage, yearly
value, tithe rent charge 288, with residence and 105 acres of glebe land,
in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, and held by the Rev. Alfred
Wilson MILLS M.A. of Lincoln college, Oxford. There is a national school for
boys and girls, endows with 7 in St.Erth, and a school chapel licensed by
the Bishop, on the estate of Bosworgie, and supported by the present vicar;
and a Sunday School is held at the school-room.  There is a chapel for
Wesleyans and school for boys and girls in connection therewith.  The poor
have 1 5s yearly, distributed in bread.

Francis Hearle RODD, esq., who is lord of the manor, Sir J St-AUBYN bart.,
esq. and the Hon Mrs GILBERT are chief landowners. The soil is various: the
subsoil is killas and ironstone; there is a stratum of sand, used in
moulding by ironfounders.  The chief crops are wheat, barley and Oats and
green crops.  The acreage is 4,092' gross estimated rental, 9,193; rateable
value, 7,882; and the population in 1871 was 2,317.

Parish Clerk William John FLOYD

POST OFFICE - James ROGERS, sub-postmaster. Letters forwarded by foot from
Hayle, arriving at 10am; dispatched to Hayle at 2.45 pm Hayle is the nearest
money order office.

SCHOOLS
National William John FLOYD; Master Miss Nancy ROGERS sewing Mistress
Wesleyan Miss Ellen PENDER Mistress


Rev Alfred Wilson MILLS M.A. Vicarage
COMMERCIAL

Josiah BLIGHT boot and shoe maker
Mrs Phillipa BLIGHT shopkeeper
Thomas BLIGHT farmer, Treloweth
John CARDELL farmer Bosence
Richard CARDELL farmer, Trannock
John DALE farmer Cuskeys
John DANIEL farmer
DAUBUZ and CO Treloweth Smelting House ( Thomas ROUSE manager)
Thomas FIRSTBROOK shopkeeper
William John FLOYD schoolmaster
James GILBERT Battery Mill Iron Foundry
John GOLDSWORTHY farmer Trewinnard
James GOODWIN Star Inn
Thomas GUNDRY farmer Bosworgy
Thomas HICKS farmer
Henry HOSKEN farmer Gear
James HOSKING farmer Porthcullum
Mrs Elizabeth HOOPER shopkeeper
Mrs Alice IVEY farmer Trelean
Thomas IVEY farmer Boddeverran
Thomas JACKA shopkeeper
Joseph JENKYN blacksmith Praze
Robert KING mason
Mrs Elizabeth LEACHER New Inn
Christopher LOBB Mine Agent
Henry NEWTON farmer Treven
John NICHOLAS farmer Chenoweth
William NOBLE blacksmith
Mrs Ann OPIE Lord Nelson
Robert OSBORNE farmer Trevissoro
William PEARCE farmer Praze
Benjamin POPE farmer Trenadrass
Walter REYNOLDS farmer Tredrea
Henry RICHARDS farmer Trelean
Thomas ROBERTS boot and shoe maker Praze
Mrs Elizabeth ROGERS farmer Lanthorne
James ROGERS carpenter and shopkeeper
James ROGERD farmer Trelean
John ROGERS farmer Tregethas
John ROGERS farmer Tremellin
Edward ROSEWARNE mine agent
William ROSEWARNE miller, Trannack
Cornish ROWE farmer Start
Henry and William STEVENS farmer Trenhayle
John STEVENS shopkeeper
William TABB Victoria Inn
John THOMAS farmer Bodderrant
William THOMAS tailor
John TREMILLING farmer Tobry
Samuel TREVASKIS shopkeeper
James TREWHELLA farmer Tregenhorne
Mrs Nancy TROWSON farmer Jericho
William TYACK farmer Trellissick
Francis VERRAN farmer, Trannack
George WILLOUGHBY Lamb and Flag

End


HOME

Dee 2001