Margaret Emeline Cagle Greer Family
William David Cagle, Melvira V.Cagle, John Franklin Cagle, (back row) Nancy Jane, Jesse Morgan Greer, Margaret Emeline Cagle Greer, Sarah Margaret & Charles Arter Cagle w/bible. Charles Cagle married Lydia Margaret Standridge.
Picture was taken in Eufaula, McIntosh, Oklahoma.
Charles Cagle was the son of Henry and Martha Cagle. He married Lydia Margaret Standride, daughter of Lemuel and Margaret Blevins Standridge.
Margaret Emeline "Emeline" Cagle was the daughter of Charles Arter Cagle and Lydia Margaret Standridge. She was born October 14, 1875 in Arkansas/Oklahoma, Cherokee Nation. Emeline had Luekemia, she died June 4, 1959 in Lawndale, Los Angeles County, California. Emeline is buried Pacific Crest Cemetery, Redondo Beach, Los Angeles County, California. She first married Jesse Morgan Greer/Grear, February 11, 1894 in Freeman, Pope County, Arkansas, son of Henry Greer and Aramenta Williams. He was born July 13, 1861 in De Soto, Mississippi, died December 7, 1905 in Eufaula, McIntosh County, Oklahoma, Creek Indian Nation. Ememline's second marriage was to Harvey Dustin Phillips, April 1909 in Eufaula, McIntosh County, Oklahoma. He was born March 7, 1849 in Virginia.
Information from Pacific Crest Cemetery
No. 17737 Name Phillips, Margaret Emeline
Grave 6 Lot 200 Sec. 7
Int. Date 6-6-1959 Undertaker McCormick Morturary
Death Date 6-4-1959 Age. 83 Years
Date of Birth 10-14-1876 (It is wrong on the card, 9-14-1876) Margaret Emeline was three years old when her mother died on the way back to Newton County, Arkansas from Idaho on the wagon train. Margaret Emeline was four years old and living in Newton County, Arkansas when she was bitten four times by a rattlesnake before her father could get to her. When Emeline was seven years old she would help her father break wild horses that he had rounded up. After they were broke, Charles would take them to town and sell them.
Jesse Morgan Greer/Grear: Jesse Morgan Greer was born July 13, 1861 in Mississippi, died December 7, 1905, in Oklahoma, Indian Territory. Jesse took a wagon load of blankets to a tribe of indians, who were ill, he became ill with whatever they had and took it home to his family. Jesse, his two small sons, and his mother all died.
Jesse's family Charlie Huston Greer,(son) B-December 9, 1901 D-October 4, 1905
Aramenta (Williams) Greer (Mother) B-1840 D-December 4, 1905
Jesse Morgan Greer (Cagle's spouse) B-July 13, 1861 D-December 7, 1905
Robert Lee Greer (Son) B-April 8, 1903 D-February 11, 1906
Aramenta Williams Greer was Jesse Morgan's mother. They all died in Creek Indian Territory, Oklahoma. Melvira "Millie" Cagle lived there with them at this time, Margaret Emeline Cagle, had a child who they named Ola Mae Greer, who was born May 21, 1905. Ola never got to know her father. Her sister Nancy Jane Greer was eight years old and Sarah Margaret Greer was only six. We do not know where they are buried, possibly in Greenwood Cemetery because Jesse and Emeline's first child, Martha Jane, is buried there. There is a census of Jesse Morgan Greer and a Melvira Cagle living in the Creek Nation in 1900. The rest of the family is not listed. Melvira is listed as siter instead of sister-in-law.
Harvey Dustin Phillips was the second husband of Marigaret Emeline Cagle, Greer. Lucille Marie Webb, said that Harvey Dustin Phillips was not liked very much buy those who new him, so he didn't have a very nice nick name, "they called him "Missouri Puke". There son Leonard was also a very nice man.
Harvey Phillips had another son, Aunt Ola said his name was Harvey born october 16, ? he died in Colorado. Maybe that is where Harvey died .He used to beat upLil' Gram and one day she ran him off. Harvey was 62 years old and Margaret Emeline Cagle Greer was 33 years old when Leonard Columbus Phillips was born.
Children of Margaret Cagle and Jesse Greer/Grear:
1. Martha Jane Greer, born February 23, 1895 in Eufaula, McIntosh County, Oklahoma; died October 01, 1896 in Eufaula, McIntosh County, Oklahoma.
2. Nancy Jane "Jane" Greer, born February 22, 1897 in Eufaula, McIntosh County, Oklahoma; died October 24, 1972 in Hawthorne, Los Angeles County, California. She married (1) Harvey Dewitt Curts, April 26, 1913 in Eufaula, Mcintosh County, Oklahoma; born 1890. She married (2) Ira Mathews March 27, 1917 in Waurika, Jefferson County, Oklahoma; born October 15, 1877 in Clay Center, Clay County, Kansas; died July 15, 1951 in Torrance, Los Angeles County, California.
Ira and Nancy Jane Mathews came to California in 1922, they resided in Redondo Beach, California in 1922. They resided in Redondo in 1922, their address was 703 Hermosea Ave., Redondo Beach , CA. They then moved to Lawndale.
Before they came to California they lived in Texas. Ira worked for the Boyd Kease Co. Box 1148 was given as Stephen County.
3. Sarah Margaret "Marge" Greer, born November 18, 1899 in Eufaula, Mcintosh County, Oklahoma (Indian Territory); died September 13, 1982 in Ada, Pontotoc County, Oklahoma. She married (1) Walter August Rottman; born August 28, 1897 in Nebraska; died August 31, 1970 in Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California. She married (2) Jesse Dot Smith March 3, 1917 in Healdton, Carter County, Oklahoma; born November 17, 1897 in Blanco County, Texas; died April 4, 1937 in Ada, Pontotoc County, Oklahoma.
While working on an Oil Derick in Harden City, Sunday, Jesse Smith was killed when the scaffold he was walking across broke and he fell 28 feet to the floor of the Oil Rig. He lived about 15 minutes but died before the ambulance could get to the hospital. Workers said that upon arriving for work they found they did not have enough scaffolding and some workers were sent to Ardmore, Ok. to get some more. When the scaffolling was put in place and Smith walked across it it broke where there was a knot in the board. Mr. Smith had worked for Oklahoma Rig Company for about 3 years and was survived by a wife and five children in Ada, Okla.
Jesse Dot Smith was known for his fiddle playing from Oklahoma to California. My father, Robert Mathews, said he can remember Uncle Jesse's fiddle playing and said he was the best fiddle player he had ever heard.
4. Charles Huston Greer, born December 9, 1901 in Eufaula, McIntosh County, Oklahoma Indian Territory; died October 4, 1905 in Eufaula, McIntosh County, Oklahoma Indian Territory. He is buried Greenwood Cemetey, Eufaula, McIntosh County, Oklahoma.
5. Robert Lee Greer, born April 8, 1903 in Eufaula, McIntosh County Oklahoma Indian Territory; died February 11, 1906 in Eufaula. He is buried Greenwood Cemetey, Eufaula, McIntosh County, Oklahoma
6. Ola Mae "Olie" Greer, born May 21, 1905 in Duston, Hughes County, Oklahoma Creek Indian Territory; died October 1, 1994 in Torrance, Los Angeles County, California. She married (1) William Roy Frye in Oklahoma. She married (2) Carlos Brody Proctor; born 1902 in New Mexico. Notes for Ola Mae "Olie" Greer:
Child of Margaret Cagle and Harvey Phillips is:
1. Leonard Cloumbus Phillips, born September 24, 1911 in Fitzhugh, Pototoc County, Oklahoma; died July 08, 1980 in Perris, California. He married Mary Mudge September 22, 1961 in Las Vegas, Clark County, Neveda; born 1916. Notes for Leonard Cloumbus Phillips: Leonard Phillips father was 62 years old when he was born, Margaret Emeline Cagle Greer Phillips was 33 years old. Leonard is buried Riverside National Cemetery Riverside, California. Henry Cagle @ Rootsweb
These pictures were shared by Nancy Jane Balmer, great great granddaughter of Lydia Margaret Standridge Cagle