Cactus Lake School District No. 296
Grosswerder and Surrounding District
- First meeting was held on Friday June 30, 1911 to discuss organizing a school district.
- November 11, 1911 a site was choosen for a school and on February 14, 1912 a contract for the building of a school. à Contractor was John C. Hill.
- School was built on SE 27-36-24 W3rd. The school cost approximately $1500.00.
- $60 for the site
- $800 for the materials
- $325 for the work
- $300 for the equipment and materials.
- School was heated by either coal or wood.
- In 1928, the school was remodeled at a cost of $2500 and were than held at Orange Hall.
- Janitor Work:
- A man was paid $69.50 for the year, included cleaning the school monthly and the woodwork twice a year.
- Hauling coal - school board paid $2.40 per ton.
- Twenty-five ($0.25) a day - Hauling drinking water, lighting the fire, and sweeping and dusting daily.
- Soon a stable was built because many of the children drove their horses to school. Which added to the janitor duties of cleaning the stables and the toilets. Which you were paid $15.00.
- In 1940's
- Lighting fires - 35cents/day
- Sweeting and Dusting - 25cents/day
- Monthly cleaning - $3.00
- Cleaning Barn - $2.50
- Cleaning Toilets - $8.00 each time
- Hauling Coal - 75cents/ton
- Wood - 75cents/1000pds
- Hauling Drinking Water - 10cent a day
- First Teacher was Mr. George Mckenna
- First Term start Monday March 31, 1913 with 13 children.
- Second term on Monday July 14, 1913.
- Some of the teachers at Cactus Lake
- Miss. Maude Long and Miss Breeze in 1917.
- Mrs. L. Bacon in 1918
- Mr. Bell in 1919
- Miss. Elizabeth MacLeod in 1919-1920
- Miss. Kathleen Hall in 1921
- In 1934, the basement was fixed up for a second classroom. But because the school board couldn't find another teacher, the basement because living quarters for the teacher.
- In 1958, the school closed and the children went to school in Cactus Lake.
Last Updated: Saturday, February 9, 2002