Autobiography of Ralph John Wesley Howard


(Page 35)

said, "Fasten them on you some place where they canít come off or get lost and leave them there". I happened to remember my compass so I said, "lets see the map". We were near a big slough. "Now", I said, "According to the map, there is a section corner stone about one half mile east of the north edge of this slough". We found the corner and by starting a line by compass and pacing 1700 steps we could locate the next section corner. We got the numbers of three quarter sections that would do as well as any, and beat it back to file. Our applications were received and recorded on October 22, 1906. We returned to my homestead, the northwest quarter of 10-53-w3 meridian and started building a log shack.

While we were looking the country over, one day, I took my carbine and done some investigating alone. I hung a big deer that froze over night and I packed a small one to camp. After we had the shack nearly done, I had a little time while Will and Frank cut the roof poles. I went to the river a little more than one half-mile away and set a couple of traps.

That night, we had the roof on and Will said, "Tomorrow, I want to go to Lloydminster and catch a train to the States and bring us a car of horses and machinery in the spring". I said, "Okay, Iíll take you to Lloyd". We started with just the running gear of the wagon. We stopped half way to feed the horses oats and brew a pail of tea. Then I cut a load of dry wood and we reached Lloydminster after dark. Willís train left about midnight with him aboard. In the morning, I sold my wood for three dollars. I bought a sash of glass for a window, a pound a tea, a pound of smoking tobacco, a fifty pound sack of flour and had forty cents left to winter on. I arrived back at my homestead about midnight in a snowstorm. Frank heard me coming and was up with a good fire going and a pail of tea, on the make. It was snowing in the morning and continued until mid-afternoon, then the sun came out. Frank said heíd russel some wood for the night and I said I would look at my traps. There was something in one, I wasnít sure what. It was about the size of a large cat, but had a longer tail. It was soaking wet and covered with mud.

When I got back to the shack, Frank had the woodcut and I said to him, "I suppose we have got a fox". I hung whatever it was back from the fire until it dried off. Then I gently brushed and shook it out and the fur fluffed out and it was beautiful. It was not a silver fox. I skinned and stretched the pelt; it was a cross fox, less valuable than a silver or black fox, but more valuable than a red fox.


The Howard Clan webpages were submitted by Patrick K. Best The Howard Clan were some of the original homesteaders of the North Bend District. It is hoped that you and many more people enjoy this history that this clan went through everyday to strive to live and provide a great part in making the history of Saskatchewan come alive.

NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material (including notices and submitter information), must obtain the written consent of the contributor: Patrick K. Best or the legal representative of the submitter: Patrick K. Best and contact the listed Lloydminster Gen Web Region Project web master or Saskatchewan Gen Web Webmaster with proof of this consent.

We encourage links to Lloydminster Gen Web and Howard Family Tree Web Pages. The Lloydminster Gen Web makes no claims or estimates of the validity of the information submitted and reminds you that each new piece of information must be researched and proved or disproved by weight of evidence. It is always best to consult the original material for verification.
You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor-- thanks for stopping by!