The Fee Graveyard
located on Slater's Fork of Black Mountain
The Fee Graveyard is difficult to find. Permission must be obtained from the coal company which controls access to the mountainous area. Like most of the mountain graveyards, the Fee Cemetery is not neatly laid out nor maintained.
A few of the graves are not marked at all save by depressions in the ground, many only have rocks at the head and/or foot. The diagram below indicates a rough location for each of the sections listed below.
Comments have been added about some of what is known about the individuals buried here.
|Access is by jeep and on foot.
Beware of snakes!
Nearly all the inscribed stones are homemade, mostly scratched on slate.
- 2 or 3 graves marked with rocks - no inscriptions
- Carson FEE (a little thin stone)
- George FEE (thought to be George son of John & Jane LEE FEE)
- Boid FEE born April 1873 (corner "signature" on stone: "Rob 11 April 1897")
- Sid FEE (marked: "uncle of Rob")
- Denver FEE
- Deloria FEE
- Jan FEE
- John FEE (there are 2 stones on this grave, one apparently at the foot is slate with the name scratched on, the other is cement with the name written neatly but definitely still a home made stone. This is thought to be the John Fee who was son of David and Lucy NOE FEE)
- J. C. FEE born 22 May 19?? died 13 Aug 1905 "Gone but not forgotten"
- Pearlie FEE born 5 Jul 1902 died 17 Jan 1917
- three marked graves, no inscriptions, one of the stones is a shaped stone
- John FEE - an old piece of sandstone, this marker appears to have been moved and may have been on one of the John Fee graves and replaced
- Pa?? CRIDER (Paul?)
- W. B. FEE
- a stone marked with a cross but no inscription
- a shaped headstone with no inscription
- Roda FEE "wife of Arch Fee"
- Sarah FEE "1st wife of John Fee"
- Daniel FEE died 20 Mar 1961 "age 17"
- another marked grave but no inscription
- Louis FEE died 1897 (son of Jane ELY and probably Preston FEE; married Martha CLONINGER; Lewis and his cousin Gilford FEE, son of Abner and Icy FARMER FEE, shot and killed each other)
- marked grave with no inscription
- a small stone with no inscription
- Amanda FEE - a stone marked with a cross
- Albert FEE "son of John and Eliz. Jr."
- McKinley FEE "son of John and Eliz. Jr."
- Elizabeth FEE died 29 May 1905 "wife of John Fee Jr"
- James FEE
- J. FEE
Additions and corrections welcome, email firstname.lastname@example.org
back to the family files listing...
... or to the Southeast KYGenWeb Counties...