Fort Sully (Fort Bartlett) was originally located on the east side of the Missouri River, just north of Farm Island, about four miles below Pierre, it was established on September 14, 1863, by Brigadier General Alfred Sully during his campaign against the hostile Sioux. The post was first known as Fort Bartlett for Lieutenant Colonel E. M. Bartlett, 30th Wisconsin Infantry, its first commander. In 1864, at Bartlett's instigation the post was officially designated Fort Sully. It was abandoned on July 25, 1866, because its site was considered unhealthful, and relocated about 25 miles above Pierre, near Lake Oahe in present Sully County. On October 30, 1894, its garrison was withdrawn except for a small detachment, which remained until November 30 to terminate the affairs of the post, shortly after the military reservation was officially transferred to the Interior Department for disposition. The reverse of following photo has in neat brown aged ink "parade ground fort sully",
Under this in pencil is k.p.c. swipston with x. Photo found in Columbus, Ohio and submitted by James Giffin.
(Maps submitted by Darrell R. Fransen, SDGenWeb Volunteer 1997-2001)
Return Sully County SDGenWeb
Back to topBackground by Sungraph