- Grand View was chosen
the first county seat of Douglas county in 1882. In 1894, Armour promised
to build a courthouse, if the county seat were moved there. In that fall's
election, Armour received 671 votes; Grand View 225 votes. The county
records were move to Armour 17 November 1894. The schoolhouse was the only
town building still standing (and still in use) in 1962.
- "Grand View - Douglas
County's Ghost Town" by Charles Chrutchett in South Dakota
Department of History Report and Historical Collections, Vol. XXX
(1960), pages 373 to 435
- "Grand View" by
Chas. P. Crutchett in Douglas County History and Centennial Observances
1961, pages 33 to 74
Note: These two sources above seem to be identical
- Newspaper: Douglas County
Publisher: Mathews & Welch, Grand View, D.T. [S.D.]
Time-Period: Ceased publication in 1893.
Maitland had a general store
and a post office as early as 1883. The post office was discontinued in 1887.
At least one of the buildings was moved to Delmont; the store building still
was standing as late as 1960, although it has not been used as a store in quite