Resources for Transcribers and Checkers
The primary source of help is the FreeCEN Manual. Please use the following web pages and files as a supplement to this manual.
All new volunteers should read the Copyrights & Ownership section of the FreeCEN Manual.
Other FreeCEN UK resources
FreeCEN Scotland downloads
- Transcriber User Guide V7 (Zip — 178 Kb)
- Transcriber User Guide V7 (self extracting Zip — 248 Kb)
- 1841 Occupational Abbreviations (Zip — 4.5Kb) — These are a guideline ONLY, with occupations pulled from the 1841 census. There is no guarantee the abbreviation means what is in this file, only that it was found in the context.
- Old occupations (Scot Roots)
- Old Occupations (Hall Genealogy)
- Victorian Servants
- GenUKI — UK and Ireland Genealogy
- GenUKI Gazetteer
- OVB or OVF? See The British Empire in the 19th century — a list of British territories grouped by region, with qualifying dates.
- British Colonies Links:
- Scottish Forenames
- Dictionary of Scots Language