On August 19, 1664, a patent for this island (formerly known as Hulet's Island)
was granted by Governor Peter STUYVESANT to Abraham RIKER (RYCKEN). This was one of
Stuyvesant's last official acts. The island lies in the middle of the Sound, in Bowerie
Bay, (marked by X's on the maps shown below) nearly opposite the mouth of Flushing Bay.
Modern times have seen the island used as a prison -- The City's Model Penitentiary.
Note that the first map is oddly
oriented: the top of the page points approximately west, whereas
the second (modern) map is oriented in the usual direction, with north
at the top.
[This page was last updated 02/10/00]