Industries and Wealth of Rhode Island, page 12

Rhode Island Reading Room
These documents are made available free to the public by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project

Industries and Wealth
of the Principal Points in Rhode Island, being the city of Providence, Pawtucket, Central Falls, Woonsocket, Newport, Narragansett Pier, Bristol & Westerly.

New York: A. F. Parsons Publishing Co., 1892

p. 197 - 201:

As is generally the case with men, in regard to their origin and youth, so it is with cities and towns; their early days are very apt to have an uncertain place in their memories.  It is not thus, however, with Pawtucket; for so well have the records been preserved, that its history from the earliest period to the present day is full and complete, and from the most trustworthy sources.  And the narrative of the settlement, rise and growth of this now bustling city is brimful of interest and incident.  It has been a record of mingled prosperity and adversity, of triumph and trial; but through all may be discerned the golden path of progress.

For some twenty years after the founding of the colony at Providence by Roger Williams and his companions, or up to the year 1655, the site of the present city of Pawtucket still retained all its primitive aspects.  Not a house had yet been erected in the place; nor had there been even an effort toward making a clearing.  The banks of the river at Pawtucket Falls were covered with a virgin forest.  The spot was certainly picturesque, but it could hardly be said to be a very inviting one to locate in at the time of which we speak.  So, when Joseph Jenks, the first white settler, arrive, he had to make himself an abode in the wilderness.

Jenks was a young Englishman, born in Buckinghamshire, in 1632, and had been in the New World since 1645.  His father, also Joseph Jenks, had preceded his son in coming to America, and is supposed to have formed one of the party who came over with Governor Winthrop.

Referring to the elder Jenks, Lewis, in his history of Lynn, writes: 'Joseph Jenks deserves to be held in perpetual remembrance in American history, as being the first founder who worked in brass and iron on the Western Continent.  By his hands the first models were made and the first castings taken of many domestic implements and iron tools.'

It is on record the the General Court of Massachusetts granted to him a patent for fourteen years for the sole manufacture of engines to be driven by water, mills for making scythes and other edged toods, and a newly invented sawmill.  This occurred in May, 1646, and in May, 1655, another patent was granted to him for seven years for the manufacture of an improved scythe for cutting grass.

Joseph Jenks, the younger, settled in Lynn, and there worked with his father until he had become a skilled mechanic.  Being ambitious, as well as liberally endowed with pluck and perseverance, young Jenks at the age of twenty-three determined to strike out in life on his own account. Accordingly, he cast about for a suitable field for the exercise of his energies, and somewhere in 1655 found himself prospecting in this vicinity. Selecting a spot near the lowest falls on the Pawtucket River, he build a rude structure for a forge in a deep ravine on the western bank.  He was impelled to make the selection of this site owing to the fact, no doubt, that the water-power here was ample for his purposes, and that the wood was abundant for making charcoal, which at this time was an indispensable element in the manufacture of iron.  Jenks acquired sixty acres of land hereabouts, and it was not long before other settlers were attracted to the place.

[illustration on p. 198:  Main Street, Pawtucket (drawing)]

Inasmuch as the manufacture of tools, farming implements and household utensils is a peculiarly important branch of industry in a new country, it may be easily inferred that Joseph Jenks found ready demand for the products of his skill in the adjoining settlements.  Scarcely, however, could he have dreamed that his little forge contained the germ from which house spring the great industrial center of to-day and a flourishing city of 30,000 inhabitants, with over a hundred different and extensive industries.

For some years the earlier settlers had to contend against many disadvantages.  They suffered hardships and privations, but they accepted the situation as became pioneers.

Twenty years or so had passed and considerable progress had been made when King Philip's war broke out, and Pawtucket, in common with the surrounding settlements, was attacked by the Indians with terribly disastrous results. Not a building but was destroyed, and every vestige of the progress that had been made hitherto was swept away by the fury of the red man.  It was not, in fact, for some time after that the now thoroughly frightened settlers had the hardihood to commence operations in the erection of homes.  Peace being restored permanently, they set to work with a will, and soon the hamlet was rebuilt.

Pawtucket remained a primitive community for fully a century after, and although considerable progress had been made in the up-building of the settlement, the population was still sparse and the conditions under which the people here then existed were of the crudest and simplest character.

Toward the middle of the last century Hugh Kennedy began the manufacture of linseed oil, and in 1770 Ephraim Starkweather purchased a potash factory which had been started by some Boston merchants several years before.  In the meantime there had developed quite a business in ship-building hereabouts.  The war of the Revolution interfered materially with the prosperity of the community, but shortly after the close of the struggle activity began to manifest itself in many departments of industry.

About this time Oziel Wilkinson and his five sons, blacksmiths, removed from Smithfield to this place, and commenced manufacturing anchors, heavy iron implements, farming tools, oil presses, stoves, castings, and other articles here upon quite a large scale.  The elder Wilkinson had long been engaged in manufacturing cut nails, and is supposed to have invented their manufacture.  His son, David, was the inventor of the slide lathes, for which Congress awarded him, fifty years after the patent granted, $50,000. Oziel Wilkinson built a small air-furnace for casting iron, in which were cast the first wing-gudgeons produced in this country.  Some time subsequently he, with others, built a furnace in which cannon were cast solid, and this was said to be the first successful effort of the kind by any one.

The most notable event in the whole history of Pawtucket occurred in 1790, when Samuel Slater erected the first water-power cotton factory in America here, and of which a full account is given in the sketch of Providence in the pages preceding this volume.

Young Slater married one of the daughters of Oziel Wilkinson, and received much valuable aid from the male members of that ingenious family.

The building known as the Old Slater Mill, on Mill Street, erected in 1793, still stands, and it is about the most noted landmark in the city.

In the early part of the present century Pawtucket was the seat of ship-building and of considerable commerce.  Manufacturing industries soon after predominated, and these have been steadily growing ever since, until they have assumed great magnitude.

Referring to the importance of Pawtucket as a manufacturing center in 1810, Dr. Dwight wrote: 'There is probably no spot in New England of the same extent in which the same quantity and variety of manufacturing business is carried on.  In the year 1796, there were here three anchor forges, one tanning-mill, one flouring-mill, one slitting-mill, three snuffmills, one oilmill, three fulling-mills and clothiers' works, one cotton factory, two machines for cutting nails, one furnace for casting hollow ware, all moved by one water; one machine for cutting screws, moved by a horse, and several forges for smiths' work.'  To these were added during the next few decades a number of other enterprises, including cotton factories, bleacheries, tanneries, machine-shops, etc., and the town acquired a widespread reputation for the variety and excellence of its manufactured products.  In a letter written by David Wilkinson concerning the activity in Pawtucket about ths period, he says:  'We build machinery to go to almost every part of the country.'

Notwithstanding the depression in business that set in during the year 1829, and which wrecked many thriving enterprises, and caused the removal of several branches of industry to other points Pawtucket in course of time, regained prominence in the manufacturing and mechanical industries and arts.

[illustration on p. 200:  drawing of industries along the river in Pawtucket.]

Though the past fifty years have witnessed steady progress in Pawtucket, the growth and prosperity of the town have been especially notable since the close of the Civil War.  Mills, factories, works and shops have multiplied within a quarter of a century, and the city to-day is a veritable hive of industry.  Some of the big manufacturing plants employ as many as two thousand hands.  The most important concerns are those devoted to the production of thread, cotton and woolen goods, machinery, steam-engines, castings, etc.  There are many other large establishments in addition, including waddling-works, bleacheries, forges, dyehouses, haircloth-mills, box factories, planing-mills and the like, and there are besides numerous factories and shops of various kinds.

The exports and imports of this city amount to several million dollars annually.  The population in 1880 was 19,030, and in 1890 was 27,633.

Pawtucket attained the dignity of a municipality January 4, 1886, and was, prior to obtaining a city charter, the largest place in the United States under a town form of government.

The city, which is about four miles northeast of Providence, is situated on both sides of the navigable Pawtucket River, (Blackstone River above the falls,) and presents many attractive features, apart from the advantages pertaining thereto as a manufacturing center.

A number of substantial bridges span the river, and from some of these can be had a fine view of the city.  There are various other coignes of vantage that afford splendid views of points of interest in and around Pawtucket. During the past decade marked improvements have been made, and a large sum has been expended in public works.

Within recent years many handsome business structures have been erected in the central portion of the city.  The streets are well paved and kept in good order, and the city is excellently lighted.

The city of Pawtucket is divided into five wards, and the municipal government is vested in the mayor, Board of Alderman and Common Council. The city has an efficient police department, with a chief, captain, subordinate officers, and the service is constantly being improved.  There is also a thoroughly organized fire department, which is in charge of a competent chief engineer and several assistant engineers, who constitute a Board of Engineers.  There are four engine-houses, located at different sections of the city, and there is a fire alarm telegraph in connection therewith, while the water service and accessories are ample and excellent.

The system of water-works which supplies the city, as it also does some of the adjacent towns and villages, had been in operation since January, 1878. A reservoir three hundred feet above tide-water, situated on Reservoir Heights, two and a-half miles from the business center, was completed November 6, 1878.  It covers an area of about three acres of ground, has a depth of twenty-one feet and a capacity of twenty million gallons.

Up to 1862, what was known as the town of Pawtucket was in the State of Massachusetts.  The east side of the river originally formed a part of the old town of Rehoboth, which up to 1812, had also embraced Seekonk.  The township of Pawtucket was organized under an act of incorporation from the Massachusetts General Court, dated March 1, 1828.  In the course of time the west side of the river - that is to say, the Rhode Island side - became the most important.  The fact that the village of Pawtucket was situated in two different states led frequently to difficulties, and was the cause of a good deal on contention.  With a view of obviating all further trouble arising form clash of interests and authority by reason of the separate jurisdictions, the town or (of?) Pawtucket was ceded to Rhode Island in 1861, and in March of the following year the act took effect.  Some changes took place subsequently in the local boundary lines, and a new act of incorporation was issued under the date of May, 1874.

The city of Pawtucket has excellent transportation facilites, both by land and water.  It is at the head of navigation on the northeast arm of Narragansett Bay, vessels of considerable size can come up to the wharves, and vast quantities of coal, lumber and other staples are delivered here direct from original shipping-points.  Grain from the West and Northwest, and raw materials for manufacturers, are landed almost at the doors of the mills and factories.

The Pawtucket (or Blackstone) River runs through the heart of the city. This river, which takes it rise north of Worcester, Mass., bears the name of Blackstone from its source to Pawtucket Falls, and below the falls until where it expands itself and meets the waters of Narragansett Bay, it is designated the Pawtucket River.

The Boston and Providence Railroad and the Providence & Worcester Railroad run through the city, and there is besides a branch line of railroad from Valley Falls to East Providence which passes through Pawtucket.  Altogether Pawtucket represents all the features of a progressive and prosperous New England city, and is rapidly increasing in material wealth and population.

p. 202:

PAWTUCKET INSTITUTION FOR SAVINGS, No. 255 Main Street.  --  The Pawtucket Institution for Savings is one of the oldest savings banks in the country. The institution was incorporated in 1836 and has had a prosperous career of more than a half century.  It now has enrolled upon its books the names of 5,300 depositors, while the money to their credit amounts to the immense sum of $2,700,000, a fine exhibit of the provident thrift of the people of Pawtucket and vicinity.  The board of officers is composed of the following well and prominently known citizens: -  President, H. Conant; vice-president, Jude Taylor; treasurer, Charles P. Moies; trustees, Gideon L. Spencer, Geo. A. Mumford, Geo. M. Thornton, Lucius B. Darling, Chas. B. Payne, Edwin A. Perrin, Lyman M. Darling, Charles P. Moies, John A. Arnold, Isaac Shove, W. D. S. Havens.  Mr. Conant, the president, is also vice-president of the Pacific National Bank, director of the Slater National Bank, treasurer of the Conant Thread Company, and vice-president of the Pawtucket Safe Deposit Company.  Mr. Jude Taylor is a director of the Pacific National Bank, and is interested in a number of business enterprises.  The treasurer, Mr. Moies, is also treasurer of the Pawtucket Safe Deposit Company, and treasurer of the town of Lincoln. The Pawtucket Institution for Savings pays dividends January 15 and July 15, deposits made on or before the 15th of January, April, July and October, going upon interest from the first of the quarter.

p. 202:

JOHN JOLLY & CO., Importers and Dealers in Millinery, Etc., No. 250 Main Street.  --  Ladies' headwear of fine material, made in an elegant, becoming and fashionable style and in the most thoroughly artistic manner, have become more and more of a necessity in these days of steady increase of material wealth, refinement and culture, and it is a matter of no little importance to every lady to know where it is possible to secure the very latest and most desirable goods of this character.  Anything that adds to their personal appearance is always of importance, and for these reasons we call particular attention in this review of Pawtucket's business houses to the popular, prosperous and representative millinery house conducted under the name of Messrs. John Jolly & Co., centrally located at No. 250 Main Street, which has always maintained an enviable reputation for high-class productions and liberal business methods. Mr. Jolly, the proprietor of this elegant establishment, was born in Scotland, and came to the United States in 1880, and has resided here a number of years.  Having a wide range of experience in this line of trade, he inaugurated this enterprise on a small scale in 1887, and by close attention to the wants of his patrons, turning out the best productions and adhering to honorable business dealings, he at once built up a very large and influential patronage, which grew in such proportions that he was compelled the following year to seek more commodious quarters in order to meet its demands, and he moved to his present address. His store is very spacious, 30 x 100 feet in dimensions, having every facility at hand for the successful transaction of business and the advantageous display of his large and valuable assortment of goods, including automatic cash carriers, electric-lights, showcases, etc.  The proprietor makes two trips a year to Europe, for the purpose of selecting the very latest and most fashionable designs and novelties in headwear for ladies, misses and children, and his stock of goods is always full and complete, embracing only such goods as are fresh, new and stylish.  It embraces all shapes of straw, chip and felt hats, bonnets, bonnet and cap frames, both trimmed and untrimmed, besides everthing in the line of trimmings, such as velvets, silks, satins, laces, ribbons, ornaments, ostrich plumes and tips, rare feathers, etc., a specialty being made of crapes and mourning goods.  A full force of artistic milliners is given constant employment, and orders for trimming, hats, bonnets, caps, etc., are executed at the shortest notice, and in the most elegant, stylish and becoming manner, while prices are the very lowest.  Mr. Jolly is a very enterprising, active and reliable business man, courteous, refined and honorable, and enjoys the confidence of all with whom he has any dealings.

p. 202:

NEWELL COAL AND LUMBER COMPANY, Coal, Lumber and Masons' Materials, Geo. E. Newell, President, Corner of Main and North Main Streets.  --  The Newell Coal and Lumber Company of this city are extensive dealers in coal, lumber and masons' materials, and theirs is recognized as the oldest and largest house in its line in the city.  The business was originally established by Messrs. Smith Grant and Geo. E. Newell as S. Grant & Co., in July, 1857, and on the death of Mr. Grant in 1884, Mr. Newell succeeded to the sole control. He then organized this company, and became its president and treasurer on its incorporation on the 1st of June, 1888, with Mr. Edward S. Bowen as secretary.  The plant of the company comprises five acres of ground on which are erected two coal sheds measuring 80 x 200 feet and 60 x 60 feet, and another shed for brick, lime and other builders' materials, 40 x 150 feet. Coal is received by boat and is handled by steam elevators and patent shovels, operated by an engine of 100-horse power, and 20,000 tons are easily and safely stored on the premises.  The lumber-yard comprises three acres, connected directly with the railway system of the State, while seventy-five men and some forty horses are kept constantly busy in the various departments of the business.  The clock-work precision and automatic accuracy with which is conducted the great volume of business annually transacted by this company call forth the marvel of all familiar with the house. The best grades of coal, both hard and soft, for families and factories, are here handled; while a stock of three million feet of lumber, both hardwoods, pine, spruce, etc., is constantly carried; also doors, moldings, window-frames, brick, lime, lath and builders' materials generally.  The business is conducted at both wholesale and retail, and is large and active in Pawtucket, Providence, Central Falls, Valley Falls, Lonsdale, Attleboro and adjoining cities and towns.  President Newell is an experienced representative of the industry, and a sound, reliable and popular business man.  He has the valued assistance of the secretary, Mr. Bowen, and is in position to conduct operations under the most favorable auspices.

p. 203:

PAWTUCKET STEAM AND GAS PIPE COMPANY, No. 32 East Avenue.  --  The magnitude of the vast manufacturing interests of Pawtucket and vicinity is well illustrated by the Pawtucket Steam and Gas Pipe Company, whose plant is situated at No. 32 East Avenue.  This company are deservedly prominent as steam and gas pipe fitters and as manufacturers of and dealers in steam, gas and water pipe and fittings of every description; also steam-heating apparatus for public and private buildings, and chandeliers, brackets, pendants, glass globes and shades and plumbers' supplies.  The foundation of this extensive business was laid in 1864, by Messrs. Robert Alexander and J. H. Andrews (sic), as Alexander and Co.   In 1871 Mr. Alexander retired, and Mr. David L. Fales became a partner, and in 1891 the present company was incorporated with a capital stock of $50,000, and with James H. Andrew, president, J. E. Andrew, secretary; David L. Fales, treasurer. The premises occupied are thoroughly spacious in size and are finely equipped with new and improved iron-working machinery, while steady employment is given to from fifty to sixty skilled workmen.  The capacity of these works, the industrial forces employed and the ample capital invested, all characterize it as among the leading concerns of its kind in the State, and one whose superior productions are in universal demand by the trade and consumers. The company supply all sizes of steam, gas and water pipe, both the material and workmanship being subjected to closest inspection and guaranteed, while pipe is cut from 1/8 to 8 inches and threaded.  They also manufacture all kinds of castings and make a specialty of plumbing and sanitary work for mills and private houses.  They are, likewise, prepared to do all descriptions of electrical work, and their services are in constant and important request in both city and country.  During their lengthy industrial career, this house has erected boilers of almost every kind and construction, such as the wrought-iron upright tubular, horizontal tubular cast-iron pot boiler, drop tube boiler and cast-iron sectional boilers of other than their own manufacture, while they have always found their own sectional safety steam boiler to have proven its superiority and durability over all others.  They are prepared to give estimates and proposals for the construction and erection of steam-heating plants for public or private buildings and guarantee satisfaction to purchasers in all cases.  The officers of the company are all Rhode Island men by birth and training, expert and practical as manufacturers, and prominently identified with the business interests of this city, promoting its industry and commerce with energy, sound judgment and decided success.

Transcriber's Notes:
The "J. H. Andrews" is incorrect -  The database of Pawtucket city directories, 1890, 1891 list the following:
James E. Andrew  Pawtucket  Steam & Gas Pipe Co.  boards 10 Jenks, C. F.
James H. Andrew Pawtucket  Steam & Gas  Pipe Co.  32 East avenue 10 Jenks, C. F.

p. 203:

B. H. PETTENGILL & CO., Manufacturers of Bone Novelties, Pipe Manufacturers' Screws a Specialty, No. 62 Front Street.  --  Prominent among the manufacturers of specialties peculiar to their respective establishments in Pawtucket, is the firm of B. H. Pettengill & Co., who manufacture all kinds of bone novelties at No. 62 Front Street.  This unique and valuable enterprise was inaugurated here in July, 1890, and has already secured connection  thoroughly national in extent and eminently creditable in character.  The premises occupied are spacious in size, fully equipped with improved machinery and appliances requisite for the business, together with ample steam-power, and employment is furnished to a large force of skilled and expert hands.  The output comprises all kinds of novelties in bone, while a specialty is made of bone screws for pipes.  By an examination of the products of this house it is apparent that the greatest care and scientific research has been exercised to bring the specialties to their present point of utility and perfection, and that they are being adapted for their purposes and have no successful rivals in the market. They are in constant and increasing demand throughout the country, while numerous testimonials from eminent firms and corporations bear undoubted evidence with regard to their value and efficiency.  Orders of whatever magnitude are filled with promptness and care, and terms and prices are made invariably satisfactory to the trade.  Mr. B. H. Pettengill, the founder and moving spirit of this enterprise, is a native of New Hampshire, a leading authority in his line of manufacture in this country and a young man of large business experience and sterling worth.

p. 203:

P. E. THAYER & CO., Brush Manufacturers, No. 34 East Avenue.  --  The brush factory of P. E. Thayer & Co., No. 34 East Avenue, was established in 1870, by Thayer Brothers, who were succeeded in 1880 by the present firm.  It is the largest concern of the kind in Pawtucket, and during the twenty-two years of its existence has been conducted with uninterrupted prosperity. The goods turned out here have a national reputation and are in widespread and growing demand.  The productions include everything in the line indicated, jewelry and machine brushes being a leading specialty, and all orders by mail or otherwise are promptly attended to. The firm are manufacturers and wholesale dealers, and their business extends all over the United States.  Besides the commodious establishment at No. 34 East Avenue, which is perfectly equipped and where twenty-five to thirty in help are employed, they have another factory in Woonsocket, where they employ fifteen hands.  The firm turn out 150 different varieties of brushes, including leather-back horse brushes, scrub, dust, stove and window brushes, cylinder, machine and jewelry brushes; in short, hair brushes of all kinds, and a large, complete assortment is constantly kept in stock.  Brushes are made to order, likewise, at short notice, and every one is warranted as to make and material, while the prices quoted are exceptionally low, merit of goods considered.  Mr. P. E. Thayer, who is the sole proprietor, is a gentleman of middle age and a native of Massachusetts.  He is a man of practical skill and of many years' experience, well and favorably known, both in business circles and in social life.  He served with credit in the Common Council and is a member of several societies.

p. 204:

BLODGETT & ORSWELL COMPANY, Manufacturers and Importers of Fine Glazed Yarns, No. 28 Bayley Street.  --  In a review of the noteworthy manufacturing concerns of Pawtucket, more than passing mention should be made of the Blodgett & Orswell Company, No. 28 Bayley Street. They are manufacturers of fine glazed yarns, and are among the foremost in this line in the country.  They turn out and handle a distinctly superior class of goods, and their trade, which extends all over the United States, is very large and constantly growing.  This flourishing enterprise was started in 1881, by E. G. Blodgett, the firm-name later becoming Blodgett & Orswell, and as such was conducted up to January, 1887, when the present style was adopted, E. G. Blodgett being president of the company, and E. W. Orswell, treasurer.  They occupy two spacious (40 x 200) floors, equipped with full steam-power, the latest improved machinery, etc., and employ upward of seventy-five in help.  The company produce spool cotton, three and six cord, in all colors and lengths, for manufacturing purposes, and keep on hand always an extensive assortment of glazed yarns, in all numbers and colors, both domestic and foreign, for manufacturers of ribbons and bindings.  They sell direct to manufacturers, and with the exceptional facilities they enjoy, are in a position to offer substantial inducements, while all orders for anything in the line above indicated, can be filled at shortest notice. Messrs. Blodgett and Orswell are gentlemen of middle age, and natives of this State.  Both are men of energy and enterprise, prominent and esteemed in business circles and in social life, and are also proprietors of the Pawtucket Dyeing and Bleaching Company, bleachers and dyers of cotton and cotton yarn, stockinet and Jersey cloth, with works on Central Avenue.

p. 204:

COLE BROTHERS, Improved Steam Fire Engine Builders, and Stationary Engines, No. 33 Bailey Street.  --  One of the representative manufacturing enterprises for which Pawtucket is noted is that conducted by Messrs. Cole Brothers, as improved steam fire engine builders, and as manufacturers of stationary engines and of beaming and chaining machines for long chain system.  The house was established in 1868, by Messrs. Edward R. and Henry S. Cole, and on the lamented decease of the senior partner, in 1879, Mr. Henry S. Cole succeeded to the sole control, continuing the business without change in the firm name.  The works are thoroughly spacious in size, fully equipped with new and improved machinery and ample steam-power, and steady employment is given to twenty skilled and expert hands. This is headquarters for mill work of every description, also for the repair of fire engines and general machinery repairing.  The Inman Automatic Banding Machine, manufactured by this house, is the only automatic machine in the world for making loop bands.  It requires no attendant, and when once started continues its operations as long as there is material for it to work on, and then stops itself automatically, and it will furnish all the bands needed for 40,000 spindles, and at no expense aside from first cost of machine, which is less than some mills are paying an operative on the banding machines in wages in one year.  Another specialty is the chaining machine for long chain system, which takes yarn from the beam or spools and makes it into a chain.  When desired, a revolving can is attached into which the chain runs; also a beaming machine for long chain system to beam on to slasher beams for fancy goods, such as ginghams, etc., which has all the appliances to make it as nearly perfect as possible, and is endorsed by leading mills who have used them, and by parties who have discarded other makes and put in these; also a beaming machine for hand-dressing, or short chain for fancy goods, such as ginghams, etc., where the yarn is sized in the chain, for which machine a countershaft is furnished.  These specialties, together with dye-works' machinery, are in heavy and influential demand in all parts of the United States.  Mr. Cole is a native of East Providence, R.I., and an accomplished and successful manufacturer and a sound, responsible business man.

p. 204:

F. J. PHILLIPS, Apothecary, Inventor of Druggists' Improved Patent Dispensing and Measuring Can, No. 183 Main Street. --  One of the representative business houses of Pawtucket is the drug establishment of Mr. F. J. Phillips. This is the oldest and best-known pharmacy in the city, having been founded about 1840, by Mr. Simon Green, who was the first to introduce soda water from the fountain in Pawtucket.  Mr. Phillips succeeded to the control in 1877, and besides being widely prominent as a pharmacist, he is also known as the inventor of the Druggists' Improved Patent Dispensing and Measuring Can, patented July 15, 1879.  This can is adapted to all kinds of oils, glycerine, etc., but particularly castor oil.  Its advantages are cleanliness, simplicity of consumption, rapidity of drawing, freedom from waste, protection of contents from dust and soil, saving of time and labor, and making the most disagreeable articles the pleasantest to handle.  With it dense liquids can be drawn rapidly in cold weather, when otherwise they would scarcely be drawn at all.  It is practically indestructible and invaluable to druggists and to bottlers of castor oil, emulsions, etc.  Its sale is large and influential throughout the country and satisfaction is guaranteed to all purchasers.  Mr. Phillips is a native of Providence, where he was born in 1844, and graduated from college in 1859.  He then entered the wholesale drugstore of Earl P. Mason & Co., in Providence, where he remained until 1862, when he established himself in the drug business in the city of Boston.  In 1866 he became agent for Perry Davis & Sons, in 1868 opened a retail pharmacy  in Providence, and in 1872 became a partner in the firm of G. L. Claflin & Co., retiring in 1877 to conduct his Providence store in connection with his present store in Pawtucket, both of which he conducted until Jan. 1, 1892, when he disposed of the Providence store and is now giving his entire time and attention to his business in this city.  Here he carries a splendid stock of drugs, chemicals and pharmaceutical preparations, selected with special reference to strength and freshness; also a fine line of toilet and fancy goods, cigars and confectionery, soda and mineral waters, wines and liquors for medicinal use, and druggists' sundries of every description.  The patronage is large, first-class and influential, and the house is eminently and deservedly popular in the community.  Mr. Phillips was one of the organizers of the State Pharmaceutical Association in 1874, was one of the executive committee in 1874 and '75, secretary from '75 to '82, vice-president in 1885 and '86, and its president in '87 and '88.  He is also a member of the Providence Franklin Association, and the F. and A. M., and honored and esteemed by his fellowmen in all the various walks of life.

p. 206:

EDWARD SMITH, Importer and Wholesale Dealer in Wines and Liquors, Agent for the Frank Jones Brewing Company, and John R. Alley's Ales and Porters, Direct Receiver of Pennsylvania and Kentucky Rye and Bourbon Whiskies, No. 14 East Avenue and No. 68 Water Street.  --  In these degenerate days of deception and adulteration in so many of our leading commercial industries, especially in the manufacture and handling of wines, liquors and other lines that are considered luxuries, but are in constant demand, it is a pleasure to note the success of a house adhering to the strict principle of dealing in honest, straight goods and at fair prices. Such a house in the city of Pawtucket, is that of Mr. Edward Smith, centrally located at No. 14 East Avenue, also at No. 68 Water Street.  This well-known, reliable and representative concern was founded a number of years ago by Messrs. James Tirney and the present proprietor, under the firm title of Tirney & Smith, and from the start has been the center of a very large and influential trade both wholesale and retail, extending throughout this city, Central Falls, Valley Falls, Attleboro, Mass., and vicinity.  In 1877 Mr. Tirney retired and the business of the concern passed into the hands of the present proprietor, and under his able and discreet management the trade grew to such proportions that he opened a new store at No. 14 East Avenue, still retaining his original headquarters at No. 68 Water Street.  The premises utilized are of ample dimensions, commodious, and fitted up with special reference to the requirements of the trade, and accommodation for the storage of foreign and domestic wines and liquors, including the choicest vintages of champagnes, port, sherry, Rhine, claret, Hungarian, Catawba and other still and sparkling wines, Holland gins, the best brands of Cognac, Martel, Hennessy, Otard Dupny brandies, Jamaica, Santa Croix and New England rums, Irish and Scotch whiskies and the most celebrated distillations of Pennsylvania and Kentucky whiskies, besides a splendid line of case goods, bitters, cordials, syrups, etc.  He also handles the best brewages of Scotch and Dublin ales and porter and of the most famous breweries in the country and Europe, being the agent for the Frank Jones Brewing Company and John B. Alley's ales and porters.  Receiving his goods direct from producers and importers, he is prepared to guarantee purity of quality and at the very lowest possible prices.  Mr. Smith is a middle-aged gentleman, well-known to the citizens of this city, and has been the recipient of their confidence and esteem by receiving from their hands the position of alderman from the Second Ward for six consecutive terms from the date of the city's incorporation; and in 1890 he was elected president of the adlermanic board, and served as such with great satisfaction to his colleagues and credit to himself.  Mr. Smith is also vice-president and a large stockholder in the American Brewing Company of Boston, which has a capital of $25,000.  This company first placed its goods upon the market in January, 1892, and they have already acquired a popularity with the public which will make them standard.

p. 206:

GEORGE C. PECK, Dealer in Fancy Goods, China, Glassware, Crockery, Tinware, Kitchen Furnishings, Nos. 13, 14, and 15 Sheldon Building, Trinity Square. --  The only house in Pawtucket engaged in the handling of fancy goods, chinaware and small house-furnishings, that makes a specialty of five, ten and twenty-five cent goods, is that of Mr. George C. Peck, situated at Nos. 13, 14 and 15 Sheldon Building, Trinity Square.  Not by any means, however, are the finest grades of goods unrepresented, for the heavy and heterogeneous stock carried, which is the largest of its kind here, includes an elegant assortment of imported and domestic crockery, fancy glassware, china and ceramics in general of the latest introduction, tineware and kitchen utensils and furnishings of the best makes, as well as a full line of fancy goods, notions and novelties, noted for style and superior quality. The business as known to-day, with its heavy volume of trade among regular patrons all over the city and State, furnishes a distinct instance of the attainments that are possible by the pursuit of a consecutive policy of fair, mutual dealing, by supplying really genuine goods at rock-bottom prices, and by a close adherence to the highest principles and methods; for it was initiated by the present proprietor in 1879, in only a very modest way, since which time it has steadily and continuously developed, and each succeeding year has witnessed a marked increase in its proportions and in the reputation of the house, while improvements have been added to the premises from time to time according as the increased trade demanded. Thus the store, comprising a capacious floor, 90 x 65 feet in area, is furnished with a complete equipment of facilities for the efficient conduct of the business; a cash railroad system from all corners of the store to the central office being not the least important; while the general fittings and appointments of the place, the electric lights, etc., make a handsome interior, which is materially offset by the tasteful arrangement of the stock in each department.  The proprietor, Mr. George C. Peck, who is a gentleman of middle age, devotes himself closely to every detail of the business; regular employment being furnished for ten competent assistants, and one wagon is retained for delivery purposes.  Mr. Peck is also the inventor of the wire counter-guard now coming into general use.  Mr. Peck was born in Medway, Mass., and is a prominent member of several of our leading societies.

p. 207:

CAMPBELL MACHINE COMPANY, Manufacturers of 'The Campbell' Lock-stitch, Wax-thread Sewing Machine, Office and Factory, No. 28 Bayley Street, Boston Office, No. 57 Lincoln Street.  --  This company was incorporated in 1880, with a capital stock of $500,000, and is officered as follows, viz:  George B. Champlin, president; H. B. Metcalf, treasurer; Daniel McNiven, secretary. Their machine is the invention of Duncan H. Campbell, and the attention of manufacturers of boots and shoes, saddlery and harness, horse clothing, carriage tops, trunks, traveling bags, belting, etc., is invited to the excellence of its work as applied to these and kindred goods, requiring in their fabrication a firm, durable and slightly fastening, such as has hitherto been attainable only by means of the costly process of hand-stitching.  In the essential qualities of firmness and durability, as well as in elegance of appearance, the Campbell Lock-stitch not only excels beyond comparison all other machine fastenings, but is superior to the best hand product.  A hand-stitcher cannot fill his awl-holes so compactly, nor draw his thread with as powerful and uniform tension, nor lay so even, smooth and handsome a seam as can the Campbell machine. In boot-siding, counter-stitching and vamp-closing, this machine produces a class of work greatly superior to any ever made before, by either machine or hand process. It does successfully a class of stitching on harness which cannot be accomplished by any other machine, viz: the stitching over rings and similar obstructions.  In principle and construction the Campbell is, in its important features, quite unlike any other sewing machine.  Representative boot and shoe manufacturers all over the country are using the Cambell Lock-stitch in preference to any other machine.  In the higher grades of harness manufacturing no machine claims to rival it in quality of work, its only competition being in low grade work.  The company has a branch establishment in Leicester, England, with a full staff under the direction of its secretary, Mr. McNiven.  The management is thoroughly enterprising and progressive, while every modern facility is at hand for insuring rapid and perfect production, so that the company is in a position to conduct all operations under the most favorable conditions for success and guarantee the prompt and satisfactory fulfillment of all orders.

p. 207:

HOTEL AUMANN, William H. Gurney, Proprietor, Nos. 79, 81 and 83 Broad Street.  --  The Hotel Aumann, William H. Gurney, proprietor, is an excellently appointed and admirably conducted house and receives a large and desirable patronage, both permanent and transient.  It is a favorite resort for commercial travelers, theatrical people and professionals generally, and was first opened for business in 1889, and about a year ago came into control of Mr. Gurney, under whose efficient management it has since been conducted with eminent success.  The hotel building is a substantial, 60 x 100-foot, four story structure, and contains thirty well-aired, comfortable sleeping apartments.  It is handsomely fitted up throughout, is thoroughly heated and perfectly ventilated.  The house is provided with all modern improvements and conveniences and is lighted by electricity.  The parlor is spacious and tastefully furnished, the dining-room is commodious and inviting and everything is new, neat and of the best.  The cuisine is first-class, the table is abundantly supplied, the service is tip-top and the attendance excellent.  The hotel is conducted on the American plan, the terms being two dollars a day, with special rates to those sojourning for a period, and, altogether, it would not be easy to find such accommodations and such fare at the same figures as are provided for his guest by mine host of the 'Aumann'. There is a well-kept bar and billiard-room in connection also, and the liquid refreshments are of the finest brands.  Mr. Gurney, the proprietor, was born in Wellfleet, Mass., but has resided in this town for the past twenty-seven years, and is a typical Boniface, and under his management the popularity and prosperity of the house are bound to increase and endure.

p. 207:

B. McCABE, Carriage Manufacturer, No. 17 Bayley Street.  --  A progressive, representative and reliable house devoted to this industry in Pawtucket, and well worthy of the high reputation it has achieved for high-class productions and honorable business methods, is that of Mr. B. McCabe, centrally located at No. 17 Bayley Street.  This enterprising gentleman was born in this city in 1848, and, having acquired a thorough knowledge of this trade in all its branches by years of close practical experience, he inaugurated this establishment on his own account in 1873, and at once developed a very large and influential patronage that now extends throughout the New England States and is constantly increasing; and, in order to meet its demands with better facilities, he moved to his present quarters in 1892.  The premises utilized are spacious and commodious, comprising an entire three-story substantial building, admirably arranged for the business and manufacturing purposes.  The factory is fully equipped with all the latest improved machinery, tools and appliances for rapid and perfect production, including the employment of a score of skilled and experienced workmen, whose operations are conducted under the personal supervision of the proprietor.  The range of production embraces line carriages of every description, including coaches, carriages, coupes, clarences, broughams, surreys, top and open buggies, road wagons, also light working wagons, all of which are unsurpassed by any others in the market. A specialty is the building of express, business and other wagons to order, and among the regular customers of the house for light vehicles of this description is the Adams Express Company.  Repairing, re-trimming and repainting receive prompt and careful attention.  The vehicles are constructed of the best and most thoroughly seasoned woods, and best brands of steel and iron, while the upholstering, trimming, painting and general finish cannot be surpassed. Mr. McCabe is a thoroughly expert in all branches of the trade, a reliable and honorable business man, and as a prominent and active member of several fraternal organizations is highly esteemed in social and commercial circles.

p. 208:

HENRY JERAULD, Manufacturer and Dealer in Cotton and Worsted Yarns, No. 9 Miller Block and No. 161 Main Street.  --  One of the best-known dealers in cotton and worsted yarns in Pawtucket is Mr. Henry Jerault, located at No. 9 Miller Block, No. 161 Main Street, who controls a heavy volume of trade reaching throughout the United States, and consisting for the most part in the supply of textile fabric manufacturers.  The business has been established since 1878, and has all along been conducted under the able and skillful direction of the present proprietor, who has at his command a long and varied experience in this line, and has for many years been in close and constant touch with the best sources of direct supply for the finest grades of cotton, woolen and worsted yarns, suitable for the finest cotton fabric right through to the heaviest ingrain carpets. Thus, he is enabled to meet the demands of manufacturers, with yarns exactly suitable in their respective requirements; and, moreover, he is enabled to offer to all classes of consumers, some substantial inducements as to prices, qualities and delivery, although he does not immediately represent any particular spinner.  Besides dealing in the best grades of yarn, Mr. Jerauld is a general cotton broker, and possesses every facility for procuring supplies upon the most advantageous terms, and for disposing of consignments in the safest and readiest channels of consumption.  Mr. Jerauld is a native of Pawtucket, and is a prominent member of several fraternal orders and business enterprises here.

p. 208:

NORRIS & KEAGAN, Manufacturers and Wholesale Dealers in Hair, Fiber, Husk, Palm Leaf, Wool and Excelsior Mattresses, Spring Beds, Manufactory and Salesroom, No. 21 Exchange Street.  --  It is a pleasure to call attention to the products of the house of Messrs. Norris & Keagan, manufacturers and wholesale dealers in mattresses, spring beds, etc., at No. 21 Exchange Street.  This representative house was established in 1867, by Messrs. L. T. Hornby & Brothers, the present firm succeeding to the control in 1888.  The premises occupied for manufacturing and trade purposes are thoroughly spacious in size, and fully equipped for the systematic and successful prosecution of the business in all its departments. The output is one of great magnitude and includes hair, fiber, husk, palm leaf, wool and excelsior mattresses, feathers and feather pillows, pure wool and flock, church and boat cushions and spring beds of the finest quality.  These specialties are manufactured for the trade throughout Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut, and the best of facilities are possessed for promptly filling all orders upon the most favorable terms, while the established reputation of the house is a guarantee that every article furnished will be of the very best quality.  Orders by telephone No. 4422-3, by telegraph or mail, receive immediate and careful attention. The copartners, Messrs. Thomas E. Norris and George E. Keagan, are both natives of Pawtucket, members of the Sons of Veterans, and highly esteemed as experts and practical manufacturers, and enterprising, progressive and reliable business men.

p. 208:

GEO. H. FULLER & SON, Successors to Geo. H. Fuller, Manufacturers of Jewelers' Findings, No. 99 Exchange Street.  --  Beyond question, the responsible firm of Geo. H. Fuller & Son, manufacturers of jewelers' findings, carrying on their operations at No. 99 Exchange Street, conduct the most extensive business of this kind in the country, their line of operations extending throughout the United States and Canada, its volume furnishing regular employment on the spot for about one hundred operatives, all skilled in their respective departments.  A full line of jewelers' findings is manufactured, in gold, silver, rolled gold, gold plated, aluminum and fire gilt; including pin stems, joints, catches, split rings, chain hooks and swivels, ear wires, chain bars, etc., in fact a complete line of goods for manufacturing jewelers and jobbing houses for repairing all kinds of jewelry; and in order to maintain their productions at an uniformly high standard of excellence, and to enable them to compete successfully with other responsible houses, the firm have adopted from time to time, all the latest improved methods and appliances as they have been introduced. This important undertaking was founded in 1858, by Mr. Geo. H. Fuller, and in 1880, he admitted his son, Mr. Charles H. Fuller, into partnership, both gentlemen devoting themselves closely to the business. The premises utilized are complete and self-contained in each department, and consist of a factory, contained in a three-story building, 35 x 100 feet in measurement, furnished with a full equipment of machines, appliances and accesssories pertaining to the industry, a room, 20 x 30 feet in size, containing a boiler and engine, of 20-horse power nominal, and an office, 40 x 50 feet in area, neatly arranged and well ordered.  Mr. Geo. H. Fuller and Mr. Charles H. Fuller are both natives of Massachusetts, and are prominent figures in commercial and trade circles here.  They have just put out a complete catalogue of their goods, which any jobber can have on application.

p. 208:

DR. GEORGE BURCHSTED, Veterinary Surgeon, Graduate of American Veterinary College, New York; Office at Nichols' Stable, Slack's Lane.  --  One of the most popular veterinary surgeons in this section of Rhode Island is Dr. George B. Burchsted, whose office is situated in Nichols' Stable, Slack's Lane, Pawtucket, R.I.  Dr. Burchsted was established in business on his own responsibility in 1890, when he graduated from the American Veterinary College, with distinguished honors.  He was born in Massachusetts, in 1863, and is a practical man at his profession, who has a large and enviable patronage all over Pawtucket, Central Falls, and Lonsdale. He boards sick horses at the stables where his office is situated, and takes care of them until they are cured and returned to their owners.  He is very popular among owners of horses and his advice is eagerly sought for.

p. 209:

W. P. MORONEY, Auctioneer, Real Estate and Insurance Agent, No. 17 North Main Street.  --  One of the best-known auctioneers, real estate and insurance agents in Pawtucket is Mr. W. P. Moroney, whose name is now closely identified with a long list of the most successful realty investments on record.  Mr. Moroney was born in the south of Ireland, in 1837, coming to the United States in 1856; in 1886 he became president of our Common Council; for the past ten years he has acted as assessor of taxes; for the past seven years he has been a sewer commissioner, and since 1888 he has been practicing as an auctioneer, notary public and general real estate and insurance agent.  Mr. Moroney possesses a wealth of information relative to property in this section of Rhode Island, and his rare foresight into the prospective value of realty, as well as that scrupulous care and wise discretion which he invariably exercises, have gained for him the confidence and perpetual support of a large number of property owners, trustees, capitalists and investors in the city and suburbs.  Mr. Moroney conducts auction sales of real and personal effects of every description; undertakes fire, life, plate glass and other insurances at the lowest rates of premium; buys, sells and exchanges real estate of all kinds; lets premises in general, collects rents and interest, manages estates entirely, negotiates loans upon bond or mortgage upon the most equitable conditions, takes depositions and acknowledgments, etc., etc.  He has just been elected president of the Pawtucket Board of Underwriters.

p. 209:

W. R. COBB & CO., Manufacturers of the Patented Hardened Pin Tongues, Jewelers' Findings and Jobbers' Material for Repairing Jewelry, Rear No. 56 East Avenue.  --  This well-known house was founded in 1877 by Messrs. Hathaway & Carter, W. R. Cobb & Co. succeeding to the control in 1883, the copartners being Messrs. W. R. and A. V. Cobb. In January, 1892, Mr. T. A. Cobb was admitted to partnership.  All three gentlemen are natives of Attleboro, Mass.  They are thoroughly practical workmen as well as progressive business men.  The premises occupied consist of a floor 80 x 35 feet in dimensions.  The place is excellently equipped with water and steam-power and special machinery, and employment is found for about eighteen skilled workmen.  The Messrs. Cobb are manufacturers of the patent hardened pin tongues, jewelers' findings and jobbers' material for repairing jewelry, and have customers in all parts of the United States.

p. 209:

JOHN A. O'NEILL, Merchant Tailor, No. 326 Main Street.  --  Mr. John A. O'Neill is the enterprising proprietor of the large merchant tailoring establishment, located at No. 326 Main Street.  The business has been successfully conducted by him for the past four years, and the store enjoys a high reputation for the satisfactory manner in which all work is performed.  In fact, this establishment is considered the largest of its kind in the State, Providence concerns excepted, and the line of goods carried includes a large and varied stock of the best American and European cloths.  The store is handsomely fitted and requires a large force of skilled assistants in the transaction of its business. Mr. O'Neill is also the owner and proprietor of one of the best and most fashionable tailoring establishments in Providence, centrally located at No. 312 Westminster Street, where he also enjoys an excellent reputation for executing strictly first-class work and for conducting his affairs on a square and fair basis, giving entire satisfaction to his influential patronage.  Mr. O'Neill was born in Massachusetts, has resided in this State for twenty years, and is well and favorably known throughout commercial and social circles, being a member of the Foresters and the Lyceum and Etna Societies.

p. 209:

FRED J. BANCROFT, Manufacturer of All Kinds of Racquets, No. 35 Bailey Street.  --  Mr. Bancroft is a thoroughly skilled practical pattern and model maker, and established this business in 1880, entering upon the manufacture of racquets in 1885.  The venture proved a most decided success, and a large steadily growing trade has developed, the output of the factory now amounting to some 20,000 racquets a year. The leading customers of the house are Messrs. Wright & Ditson, the famous sporting-goods dealers of Boston.  The factory is comprised in three floors, each 40 x 75 feet in dimensions, and equipped with first-class steam-power machinery.  Some forty workmen are employed, and all kinds of racquets are manufactured here.  Mr. Bancroft is a native of Vermont, born in 1843, and has resided in Pawtucket for the past twenty-five years.  He is a member of the Order of Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, and other organizations, and is in every respect a representative manufacturer and citizen.

p. 209:

ELLIS THAYER, Brush Manufacturer, and Wholesale Dealer in all Kinds of Brushes, No. 113 Exchange Street.  --  This is an old-established enterprise, having been founded in 1855, in Worcester, Mass., by the present proprietor, and in 1870 he removed to this city.  Mr. Thayer was born in Massachusetts in 1831, and he is widely and favorably known in both business and social circles. He is a thoroughly skilled practical brushmaker, and maintains his establishment at the very highest standard of efficiency, turning out none but superior made goods. The factory is comprised in three floors, 30 x 80 feet in dimensions, and completely equipped with first-class special machinery, driven by a 20-horse power engine, and the capacity of the boiler is 25-horse power.  Employment is found for 25 hands.  The products include brushes of all kinds, Mr. Thayer manufacturing some 150 varieties, including brushes for cotton and woolen mills, and a leading specialty is made of manufacturing jewelers' and machine brushes.  The trade supplied extends all through the United States and Canada, and a considerable quantity of goods are exported to other countries.

p. 210:

BROADWAY CASH GROCERY, Choice Groceries, Fruits, Vegetables, Canned Goods, Etc., Nos. 5 and 7 Broadway.  --  A first-class and thoroughly reliable grocery house of this city, that has bounded into popular favor and confidence, within the past year, is that known as the Broadway Cash Grocery, of which Messrs. Geo. E. Dispeau and L. M. Crocker are the able and efficient proprietors.  The store is 20 x 40 feet in dimensions, and is attractively and neatly fitted up and excellently arranged, and the services of three courteous assistants and two teams are required in constant employment.  The stock, which is very large and finely assorted, comprises the choicest teas and coffees, fresh and pure spices, sugars, condiments, baking powders, syrups, canned goods in great variety, cereals, flour, butter, cheese, eggs, sauces, fruits and vegetables of all kinds, in their respective seasons, household specialties, etc., in short, every thing comprehended in the line of staple and fancy groceries is here carried in a fresh and wholesome condition, and the lowest ruling market prices are always quoted.  Honest value and full weight are assured all patrons, and all orders are promptly and reliable filled, also delivered at residence, free of charge.  Both of these gentlemen are thoroughly experienced in every branch of this business.  Mr. Dispeau was born in Providence, in 1855, while his partner, Mr. Crocker, is also a native of this State.

p. 210:

DRS. S. AND S. F. LEE, Dentists, No. 178 Main Street.  --  Among the most accomplished, experienced and popular members of the dental profession in Pawtucket, special mention should be made of Drs. S. and S. F. Lee, whose rooms are eligibly located at No. 178 Main Street.  The foundation of this business dates way back to 1859, at which time it was inaugurated by Dr. S. Lee, who enjoys the distinction of being the very best dentist in this city; and he conducted it, with marked ability and success, alone, up to 1872, when Mr. Burnham was taken in to partnership, under the style of Lee & Burnham; and this remained the same up to 1883, from which time on the original proprietor's son has been associated with him in the direction of its affairs, as given above.  The premises occupied comprise a floor, 18 x 50 feet in dimensions, suitably divided into reception, parlor and operating rooms, all of which are handsomely furnished.  The latest improvements in science and mechanism are sure to find a place in this establishment, where all branches of dentistry are administered when desired, and everything pertaining to the filling, extracting, cleansing and beautifying of the teeth, is here performed in the highest style of the art, while in the making of artificial ones, either in sets or singly, the work of this house cannot be surpassed for artistic taste and natural and beautifying effect. A large, first-class and influential patronage, drawn from the best classes of citizens in this city and the surrounding country, is enjoyed.  They are both natives of this State, and Dr. S. F. Lee is a member of the I. O. O. F., Red Man, Kights of Pythias, and other orders of this character.

p. 210:

MEIKLEJOHN & LOMAS, Pianos and Organs, Sheldon Building. --  The largest and best established music business in Pawtucket is that of Messrs. Meiklejohn & Lomas, in the Sheldon Building.  They occupy a store 20 x 90 feet, handsomely furnished, lighted by electricity and filled with a carefully selected stock.  From small beginnings, these gentlemen have succeeded in founding a business and gaining a reputation which are a credit to themselves and to the city.  This prosperous enterprise was established by F. L. Starkweather in 1881, and after various changes passed into the hands of the present firm, in 1886. From that time progress has been steady and now the business is firmly settled, and holds a permanent place in the confidence of the music-loving people of Pawtucket and vicinity.  The line of pianos and organs is especially well selected, and the sales of the company show how fully and satisfactorily they meet the popular demand.  Not only are the best and most elaborate instruments kept in full supply, but also the most reliable of the cheaper makes, enabling them to satisfy every class of purchasers.  The Estey, Briggs, Sterling, Hallett, Cumston and Dyer & Hughes pianos and the Estey, Sterling, Dyer & Huges (sic) and Bridgeport organs comprise a line which cannot be excelled for variety and excellence. The wide acquaintance and well-known reputation of the members of the firm assure customers of perfect honesty in treatment and no one has ever had cause to regret placing confidence in their reliability.  A complete stock of music and musical goods is also kept, and by careful management and strict attention to detail this portion of the business has been fitted to meet every demand which may be made upon it.  For several years a stock of high grade bicycles has been kept in supply, and though this branch of the business has not been very extensively prosecuted, owing to lack of floor space, the high quality of the Rambler and Premier, which are their leading wheels, assure a satisfactory bargain to any purchaser.  The members of the firm which now controls the business are Messrs. J. W. Meiklejohn and George H. Lomas.  The former is a native of Scotland, but has for twelve years been a resident of the United States.  He is a member of the Music Teachers' Association and is prominent in several secret societies. Mr. Lomas is a native of New Jersey.  He holds a high rank in musical circles, is an Associate of the American College of Musicians and a member of several societies.  He has for two years been the organist of the Round Top Church, of Providence, and is one of the leading musicians of the State.  For several winters this firm has managed a series of high-class concerts, which have done more than anything else to promote in Pawtucket a love and appreciation of good music.  None but the best talent has been engaged, and the concerts have been equal to if not superior to any similar series given in this section.  In every line in which they have engaged, success has attended the efforts of these gentlemen and their business to-day stands as a good example of the fruits of honesty, courtesy and strict attention to business.


These documents are made available free to the public for non-commercial purposes by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project. Transcribed 2001 by Beth Hurd

Mail e-mail