Biographies of Pawtucket, Central Falls and Vicinity, 7
Rhode Island Reading Room
These documents are made available free to the public by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project

This section contains articles of genealogical and historic interest on Rhode Island in general, from old Rhode Island books and newspapers. If you would like to contribute please e-mail me with information.

Illustrated History of Pawtucket, Central Falls and Vicinity

by Robert Grieve, 1897
Providence: Published by Henry R. Caufield


Biographies of Prominent Citizens.

p. 375:

LOCKWOOD, Lawrence A., son of Abraham and Sarah (Carr) Lockwood, was born at Warwick, R. I., in 1856, where he attended the public schools, and subsequently took a three years' course at the Mount Pleasant Academy.  At the age of 16 he entered the office of the Wanskuck Co.'s store as bookkeeper, where he remained five years, occupying a responsible and confidential position, which he resigned to engage in the retail grocery, hay and grain business in Providence with W. B. and F. B. Hazard under the firm name of Hazard, Lockwood & Co.  In 1878 he disposed of his interest in that business, came to Pawtucket and associated himself with Richard Harrison in the dyeing and bleaching of yarns on Front street, and in 1880 he connected himself with the firm of Minchin & Co., in the manufacture of shirts and drawers, and was assistant manager of the works.  Later he engaged with R. A. Butler in the tannery business and also occupied an important position with the Pawtucket Hair Cloth Co.  In 1885 he entered the employ of W. F. & F. C. Sayles as manager of the office and accounts of the Lorraine Mills and Glenlyon Dye Works.  In 1891 he was selected to organize the Crefeld Electrical Works, of which he is now secretary and general manager.  In June 1893 and 1894 he was elected a member of the Lincoln town council, and was foremost in bringing about a division of the town on March 18, 1894.  He was chairman of the committee appointed to adjust the debt of the old town of Lincoln and all matters of difference between the new town of Lincoln and the city of Central Falls, which adjustment has since been made to the mutual satisfaction of both city and town.  He was reelected a member of the town council of Lincoln in June 1895 and 1896.  Sept. 8, 1882, he was married to Viola B., daughter of Richard Harrison of Pawtucket, by which union there are three children:  Edna Harrison, Lawrence A., Jr., and Lester Ward.  Mr. Lockwood is of a very old and distinguished family and his ancestors were among the original settlers in Southern Rhode Island.



p. 375 - 376:

LULL, Harry Freeman, only child of Proctor C. and Betsey C. (Worthley) Lull, was born in New Boston, N. H., July 16, 1863.  His parents moved to Pawtucket, where he attended the public schools.  He then took a course at Scholfield's Commercial College, Providence and completed his education at Mowry & Goff's English and Classical school, Providence. Under the tutelage of his father he learned the concreting business, and in 1893 he succeeded his father as owner of this business, which he still carries on, with headquarters at 392 Broadway.  He is a member of Good Samaritan Lodge of Odd Fellows, and attends the Congregational church at Central Falls.  Aug. 18, 1886, he was married to Isabel H. Kelley, of Pawtucket, by which union there are three children:  Chester F., b. Aug. 21, 1888; Ernest P., b. Dec. 23, 1892; Bertha E., b. July 2, 1894.



p 376:

LULL, Proctor C., the first child of Hiram and Abby (Bentley) Lull, was born March 19, 1842, at New Boston, N. H., which was also the birthplace of his parents and grandparents.  He is a descendant of the old Hogg family of revolutionary fame, and four generations of the family were born in the same house and were prominently identified with the history of New Boston. Proctor went to the public schools until he was sixteen years old and thereafter conducted a farm until 1870, when he located in Lowell, Mass., and associated with E. A. Smith in the concreting business.  This partnership was terminated in 1872, when Mr. Lull came to Pawtucket and engaged in the same business.  In 1885, in company with his brother, he purchased the Follett & Steere Express Co., and conducted both enterprises at 37 Cross street, Central Falls.  Later he sold his concreting business to his son and in 1894 bought his brother's interest in the expressing business which he has since conducted alone.  Mr. Lull was councilman from the first ward in 1886-7 and alderman in the same ward from 1887 to 1890.  He is a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, the Pawtucket Veteran Firemen's Association, and is prominent in the Odd Fellows and Masonic Orders.  He is a member of the Central Falls Congregational church.  In July, 1862, he was married to Betsey C. Worthley, of Ware, N. H., who d. Feb., 1865; by this union there is one child, Harry F.  In May, 1870, Mr. Lull was married to Clara Smith of New Boston, N. H., and she d. Jan. 3, 1877; by this union there was one child who died.  In 1878 he was married to Elizabeth McCleary of Lawrence, Mass.



p 376:

LUMB, George H., the second child of Thomas and Elizabeth (Haigh) Lumb, was born in Halifax, Eng., March 12, 1861, and came to this country with his parents in 1864.  They located in Worcester, Mass., where George attended the public schools until he was 14 years old, when he went into the office of the H. H. Chamberlain Co.  In 1881 he worked for the Ellington Manufacturing Company at Rockville, Conn., and then took a course at Coleman's Business College, Newark, N. H.  In 1885 he came to Pawtucket and became a bookkeeper for the Slater Stocking Co., which was purchased by The E. Jenckes Manufacturing Co., for whom he acted as head of the finishing department.  In 1891 he joined A. H. Smith in establishing the Blackstone Stocking Co.  In 1884 he was married to Bessie Gledhill of Rockville, Conn., and they have two children:  Freddie and Ralph.



p 376 - 377:

LYND, Henry J., was born in Wakefield, R. I., Jan. 20, 1861, and was the third child of Michael and Margaret (McGrath) Lynd.  He received his education in the public schools at Peacedale, R. I., and in the town of Lincoln, and was graduated from Scholfield's Commercial College, Providence, in 1880.  In 1881 he became a salesman in the Pawtucket store of the Boston & Providence Clothing Co.  With Daniel Murphy he established, Aug. 2, 1882, in the Bagley block, under the name of Lynd & Murphy, a store devoted to dealing in boots and shoes, hats and caps, and gentlemen's furnishings.  The business prospered, and enlarged quarters were secured April 30, 1885, in the LeFavour block, Main street, and this store was still further enlarged by the securing of more room, April 12, 1888.  When High street was widened the firm moved into the Sheldon building, 3 Broad street, July 9, 1896. Lynd & Murphy have always carried on a first-class business, and the firm is now a well-established and recognized Pawtucket house.

Mr. Lynd is a Catholic and is a member of the Church of the Sacred Heart. He belongs to Branch No. 265, Catholic Knights of America, Delancy Council, Knights of Columbus, and the Young Men's Catholic Association.  He is also a member of the Court City of Pawtucket, Ancient Order of Foresters.  He was married Oct. 21, 1884, to Margaret Callaghan, and they have five children: Nora, b. Aug. 2, 1885; Henry, b. Feb. 19, 1888; Mary, b. Dec. 9, 1889; Joseph C., b. Oct. 15, 1892; and Genevieve, b. Oct. 29, 1894.



p. 377:

MacCOLL, James Roberton, the fourth child of Hugh and Janet (Roberton) MacColl, was born April 2, 1856, in Glasgow, Scotland.  He received his early education in Anderson's Academy and graduated from the high school, Glasgow.  He subsequently took a special course at the Glasgow Technical College, and in 1871 entered the house of Henry Fyfe & Son, Glasgow, manufacturers of dress goods.  In 1878, in partnership with John Thomson, he purchased this business and they continued it under the firm name of Thomson & MacColl.  In 1882 he came to Pawtucket as manager of the Lorraine mills, which position he has occupied until the present.  He is also agent of the Crefeld mills of Westerly, R. I., and is interested in various other industrial enterprises.  April 15, 1884, he was married to Agnes Bogle, of Glasgow, from which union there were five children:  Hugh Frederick, b. Feb. 22, 1885; William Bogle, b. Oct. 26, 1886; Margaret, b. June 24, 1888, d. Dec. 26, 1893; James Roberton, Jr., b. Oct. 5, 1891; and Norman Alexander, b. July 28, 1895.

Mr. MacColl's father was b. in Glasgow, Scotland, May 8, 1813, and d. Dec. 12, 1882, in the same city, where he had carried on business as a clothier. Mr. MacColl's mother was also b. in Glasgow, Sept. 2, 1826, and was the daughter of James Roberton, iron founder, of that city; she d. Dec. 27, 1871, in her native city.



p. 377:

MacKILLOP, Robert Kelso, third child of James and Catherine (Kelso) Mackillop, was born at Inverness, P. Q., Canada, Nov. 25, 1847.  He attended the public schools winters until he was 18 years old, and worked on his father's farm until 1867, when he came to the United States, where he found employment at the Manchester Locomotive works, Manchester, N. H.  In 1871 he came to Providence and went to work for Slade & Perrin.  That firm had the contract to build the present city hall in Pawtucket, and in 1872, as foreman for that concern, Mr. Mackillop had charge of the inside finishing of the structure.  After the completion of the city hall he went to work for Kenyon, Drown & Co., Pawtucket, and remained in thier employ until 1879, when he formed a copartnership with John W. Willmarth under the firm name of Willmarth & Mackillop as carpenters and builders.  The business prospered. The firm erected and now operates at 48 and 50 Dexter street one of the best equipped works for the manufacture of builders' suplies in the state.  In 1881 Mr. Mackillop was married to Adela Josephine Phillips of Providence, and they have two children:  Margery and Mildred Adela.

James Mackillop, father of Robert, was born on the Island of Arran, off the coast of Scotland, and was descended from an old Highland family.  The mother, Catherine Kelso, is a native of the same place.  They came to Canada in 1828 with a company of people from their native island, who were dispossessed in order to make room for deer farms.  These emigrants formed two ship loads.  In politics Mr. Mackillop is a Republican.



p. 377 - 378:

MAGUIRE, John Thomas, was born in 1844, and came with his parents from Ireland to Cranston, R. I., in 1846.  The family remained in Cranston about six years, then removed to Smithfield, R. I., remained there until 1859, and from thence removed to East Greenwich, where John was employed in the printworks, assisting his father.  In 1861 John, being affected like many of his companions by the excitement caused by the rebellion, made up his mind to enlist.  As he was then under age he could not join the company being enlisted in East Greenwich to form part of the 2d Rhode Island Regiment. Being determined, however, to enlist, he went to Providence, and without the knowledge or consent of his parents, joined Company H, 14th United States Infantry, then being recruited by Capt. Ross for the regular army.  This regiment became a part of the army of the Potomac and was in active service from the siege of Yorktown to the capture of Richmond.

John served in Company H five and one half years, re-enlisting before the end of his term for three more years.  He was taken prisoner at the battle of Weldon Railroad, Aug. 19, 1864, and was confined in Libby, Belle Isle, and Salisbury prisons.  He was exchanged Feb. 22, 1865, and joined his company in Richmond, Va.  The last part of his army service was spent in Arizona fighting the Apache Indians.  He was honorably discharged and returned home via Lake Nicaragua in 1867.  In the following spring he entered the employ of the Hon. F. C. Sayles, where he remained until 1875, when he engaged in a general roofing business in which he still continues.

Mr. Maguire was married in 1876 to Mary J. Daly of Pawtucket, and from this union two daughters were born.  He is a member of Tower Post, G. A. R., and of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association.  He is a Republican in national politics.

illustration on page 378: photo, John T. Maguire, of John T. Maguire & Co., Roofers.



p. 378:

MANCHESTER, William Cook, the eleventh child of Oliver and Lydia (Cook) Manchester, was born in Tiverton, R. I., May 14, 1842.  Leaving school at the age of 10 he worked on his father's farm, but finding this uncongenial he obtained employment in the spool room of the Chase mill at Fall River, from whence he went to Providence to learn the jewelry trade with Brown, Reynolds & Smith.  Upon a call for troops at the opening of the civil war he joined Co. A, 7th Massachusetts, and served from 1861 to 1864, when he was honorably discharged.  He worked at spool making until 1869, when he opened a restaurant, which he sold out in 1875 to join with F. E. Miller, dealer in pictures and manufacturer of picture frames.  He purchased Mr. Miller's interest in 1876 and now carries on the business alone at the original stand, 63 Canal street, corner High street, Central Falls.  Mr. Manchester is a member of the Knights of Pythias.  He was married to Helen P. Gray of Warwick, R. I., by which union there have been three children:  Helen M., William H. (deceased), and Eva L.



p. 378 - 379:

MANN, Arthur Bucklin, the first child of Dr. Augustine Alvin and Sarah Thomas (Bucklin) Mann, was born in Central Falls, June 19, 1866.  He attended the public schools until he was 14 years old, then entered a private school in Central Falls, and completed his education in Mowry & Goff's English and Classical School, Providence, from which he was graduated in 1882.  He then entered the Bryant & Stratton Business College, Providence, and afterwards studied draughting in the Rhode Island School of Design.  Some of his designs were exhibited at the New Orleans Exposition. At the age of 17 he entered the office of the Slater Cotton Co. as office boy, and in six years he was advanced to the position of chief clerk.  In May, 1891, he was appointed agent and general manager of the United States Cotton Co.  In this capacity  he thoroughly reorganized the entire business, so that it is now one of the most successful in New England and employs over 750 persons.  Late in 1896 he resigned this position to become a partner in the firm of J. H. Martin & Co., cotton goods brokers, 99 Franklin street, New York.

In politics Mr. Mann is a Republican.  He has been repeatedly urged to accept public office, but has declined to do so owing to the pressure of private business.  Mr. Mann is a member of the Pawtucket Congregational church.  He belongs to the New England Cotton Manufacturers Association, the Boston Textile Club, the Arkwright Club of New York, the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, the Rhode Island Yacht Club, the To Kalon Club of Pawtucket, and the Providence Athletic Association.  He is an enthusiastic athlete and at one time was the champion bicycle rider of Rhode Island.  He is interested in amateur photography.

Sept. 18, 1888, he was married to Carrie L. Wilkins of Randolph, Mass., by which union there were three children, one of whom is now living:  Earnest W. [sic], b. March 2, 1892; Mildred, b. Nov. 15, 1890, d. June 26, 1896.

Mr. Mann is descended from an old New England family who trace their ancestors back for many generations.  His grandfather was born in Randolph, Mass, in 1806, and died there at the ripe old age of 81 years in 1887.  His grandmother was Emeline R. Mitchell of Easton, Mass., and she died in 1890 at the age of 76.  His father was a prominent physician in Central Falls.



p. 379:

MARRAN, William, oldest son of John and Elizabeth (Cottrell) Marran, was born in Oxford County, Ontario, Canada, Jan. 11, 1848.  He attended the district school in the winter and worked on his father's farm in summer.  At the age of 17 he went to Pennsylvania, where he was employed for two years in a coal mine.  For one winter he worked in the Michigan lumber woods. He came to Rhode Island in March, 1868, and located at East Providence.  There he worked on a farm for a year, when he became a conductor on the Pawtucket and Providence horse cars, and followed this occupation for two years.  For one year he was employed by H. G. Aldrich in the express business, and after that worked in P. McNeal's fish market eight years and for T. S. Cannon four years.  June 1885, he opened a fish and fruit market of his own at 13 Broadway.  The business steadily increased, and in May, 1895, he removed to his present quarters, 22 Broadway, where he conducts a flourishing business, and his market is the largest of its kind in Pawtucket.  He is a member of St. Joseph's church.  April, 1873 [sic], he was married in Providence to Catherine McGeehan, and they have had eight children:  John, b. Feb. 12, 1873, d. Feb. 12, 1873; Charles P., b. June 7, 1874, d. Sept. 7, 1874; Mary J., b. May 22, 1875, d. Oct. 23, 1875; Josephine, b. July 29, 1877, d. Feb. 1, 1879; Joseph, b. July 25, 1879, d. May 2, 1883; Mary A., b. Sept. 12, 1882, d. Sept. 15, 1882; Annie E., b. Feb. 8, 1884, d. Feb. 13, 1884; William H., b. June 2, 1886.  Mr. Marran's maternal grandfather, William Cottrell, served in the war of 1812, and his father was a soldier in the American army in the Mexican war.



p. 379 - 380:

MARTIN, Richard, was born in Liverpool, England, in 1861, and is the son of Peter and Ellen (Gillahan) Martin.  In 1864, when Richard was three years old, his parents left Liverpool for America and settled in Pawtucket, where they have resided ever since.  He attended the Pawtucket public schools, was graduated from the Grove street grammar school, and then went to a private school in Providence until he was 17 years old, when he entered a New York college to prepare for the profession of a lawyer.  He was graduated in 1882 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and then took a special course for three years in philosophy and ethics in Montreal.  Returning home he took up the study of law with Abraham Payne, a leading lawyer of Providence, who ranked among the most eminent attorneys in the United States, being associated with General Benjamin Butler in many cases.  Mr. Martin secured great benefits from his connection with Mr. Payne.  He was admitted to the Rhode Island bar in July, 1888.  He at once opened an office in Pawtucket and soon built up a lucrative practice.  He is a bright, keen attorney and ranks in ability among the ablest lawyers in this region.  His office is at No. 4 High street.  He is a good speaker and has delivered many public addresses, the most notable of which was at the dedication of the Grove street grammar school, from which he was graduated.  This address was published in the Pawtucket newspapers, and attracted marked attention.

After his return from Montreal in 1885 he engaged actively in politics, and became one of the leading spirits in the Democratic city committee but in 1891 resigned from that body, because he had become a believer in the protective policy.  He has since been prominent in the local councils of the Republican party, was a member of the Republican city committee for two years, and has attended many city, state and congressional conventions.  For three years past he has been clerk of the finance committee of the Rhode Island House of Representatives.  He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Sterling Lodge, U. R., K. P., Knights of Khorassan.  In 1886 Mr. Martin was married to Mrs. Abby Grace Davis, (nee Mason).  She is of revolutionary stock on both sides of her family.



p. 380.

MARTIN, William John, the oldest child of Henry and Margaret (Gibson) Martin, was born in Bangor, County Down, Ireland.  He went to school in Killyleagh until he was 10 years old and then in Belfast until he was 13, when he began to learn the trade of a carpenter.  He followed this occupation for six years, when at the age of 19, he came to this country and settled at Pawtucket.  He worked for 13 years at his trade for W. F. & F. C. Sayles, but in 1890 he took a position at the Dunnell printworks as assistant to Edward O'Brien, master mechanic, and still retains this situation.  In politics Mr. Martin is a Democrat.  In 1890 he was elected clerk of the Central Falls school district and served two years.  He was elected alderman from the fourth ward at the first city election in Central Falls, and was reelected for 1896.  He is member of the Holy Trinity church, Central Falls.  Oct. 19, 1880, he was married to Catherine Frances Sherlock of Central Falls, and then began his residence in that place.  They have six children:  Mary Henrietta, b. Sept. 14, 1881; Catherine Frances, b. Dec. 23, 1883, d. Jan. 1, 1885; Margaret Theresa, b. May 5, 1886; George, b. Nov. 18, 1888; William John, b. Feb. 14, 1891; Winifred Louise, b. Nov. 9, 1893.



p. 380 - 382:

MATHIEU, Joseph Edouard Victor, M. D., Central Falls, was born in St. Barnabe, county of St. Hyacinthe, Province of Quebec, Aug. 8, 1856, and is the son of Edouard and Rosalie (Lapre) Mathieu.  His ancestors on both sides came from Normandy, France, about the sixteenth century, and with others of the name were among the first settlers of the Island of Orleans, near the city of Quebec.  His father was born in St. Ours, Richelieu, P. Q., and when twenty-two years old removed to St. Barnabe, where he engaged in business, keeping a country store and exporting the farmer's produce.  He was postmaster for sixteen years, and mayor for twenty years.; in 1872 he removed to the city of St. Hyacinthe, accepting a railroad agency position which he occupied until his death in 1895.  Joseph's mother was born in St. Barnabe, and was educated in the convent LaPresentation at St. Hyacinthe. He received his early education in the parochial school until the age of 11, when he entered the St. Hyacinthe Seminary and pursued a classical course. He studied medicine at the Victoria University of Montreal, from which he received his degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1879.  Soon after his graduation he came to Rhode Island and engaged in the practice of his profession in Central Falls, where he has since resided.  Dr. Mathieu has held the office of coroner for the city of Central Falls since 1893, and is medical examiner for the Equitable Life Assurance Society of New York, and the New York Mutual Reserve Fund Association.  He is also physician for the Loyal Mount Hope Lodge, of Odd Fellows; Court Flower of Dexter of the Ancient Order of Foresters of America; Lodge No. 277, Order of the Sons of St. George; Lady Lincoln Lodge, No. 46, Order of the Daughters of St. George; the Association of St. Jean Baptiste of Central Falls; and the Catholic Knights of America.  He is a member of the Pawtucket Medical Society and of the Rhode Island Medical Society, also of most of the local societies and social organizations.  Dr. Mathieu was married Feb. 14, 1882, to Amanda Blanche Richer, of St. Hyacinthe, P. Q.  They have had three children:  Yvonne, b. Feb. 22, 1883, d. Feb. 28, 1885; Bertha Corinne, b. Dec. 25, 1885; and Estelle Marie Mathieu, b. Sept. 1890.

illustration on page 380: photo, Joseph E. V. Mathieu, M. D., Central Falls.

illustrations on facing page (page 381): photos, James L. Jenks, City Solicitor Pawtucket; George W. Payne, Manufacturer of Cotton and Woolen Machinery; Samuel G. Stiness, Agent and General Manager of Pawtucket Gas Co. for many years; Edmund W. Orswell, Treasurer, Bodgett & Orswell Co.



p. 382:

MASON, Frederick R., second child of Robert Durfee and Mary Bicknell (Nicholas) Mason, was born in Pawtucket, March 11, 1859.  He attended the public schools of his native town and the private school of Rev. C. M. Wheeler of Providence, and completed his education at Brown University, taking a two years' course in chemistry.  In 1880 he became assistant to his father in the management of his manufacturing establishment, and in 1889 was admitted into partnership, the firm name then becoming R. D. Mason & Co. When the business was incorporated under the name of the Robert D. Mason Co he was elected its treasurer, which position he now holds.

In politics he is a Republican.  He is a member of St. Paul's Episcopal church.  He was for several years secretary of the T. K. Club.  June 6, 1894, he was married to Annie E. Boon of Providence.  Both his parents are natives of Pawtucket; his mother was b. Dec. 31, 1834, and d. Aug. 20, 1890.



p. 382 - 383:

MASON, Robert Durfee, the head of the oldest bleaching and dyeing establishment in Pawtucket, was born at Pawtucket, March 10, 1832, and was the second son of Robert D. and Mehitable Tyler (Merry) Mason.  He attended the public schools until he was 16 years old, when he went to Taunton, Mass., to learn the sash and blind trade with his brother.  After working at his trade for 18 months he returned to Pawtucket and went into the bleachery and dyeing works then conducted by his uncle Samuel Merry and which had been established by his grandfather Barney Merry in 1805 (see page 152).  He acquired a perfect knowledge of the business and in 1861 was appointed superintendent, which position he held until 1866, when he was admitted into partnership, and this relation continued until 1870 when the works were damanged by an explosion causing much financial loss.  His uncle and partner thereupon retired from active business, when the name of the firm was changed to Robert D. Mason & Co., and the Dexter brothers became his business associates; but in 1876 he purchased their interests, and in 1889 he admitted his son, Frederick R., as a partner.

In 1892 the business was incorporated under the name of Robert D. Mason Co., and removed to its present location on Main street, where the plant is regarded as one of the best equipped in this country, having all the modern improvements and the latest labor saving machinery.  An idea can be had of the growth of the enterprise when it is known that the capacity of the original works was 1500 pounds per day while the capacity of the present establishment is 20,000 pounds per day.  Mr. Mason is president of the company and his son Frederick R. is treasurer.

In politics Mr. Mason is a Republican.  For 14 years he served as one of the three water commissioners of Pawtucket.  He is one of the original members of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, and is a member of the American Legion of Honor.  He has been a life-long attendant of St. Paul's Episcopal church.  In May, 1852, he was married to Mary Bicknell Nicholas of Pawtucket, by which union there are two children, Ella Frances, b. Nov. 16, 1853, and Frederick Robert, b. March 11, 1859.  His first wife d. Aug. 20, 1890, and he was married to Mary Adeline Havens of Pawtucket, Oct. 28, 1893.

Mr. Mason has been closely identified with the progress and development of his native city.  He is interested in various enterprises, is well known in business circles and has the esteem of all with whom he associates.  His father died in Pawtucket, July 26, 1832, when but 30 years old, four months after the birth of Robert; he was engaged as a merchant tailor as appears in an advertisement in the Pawtucket Chronicle of Oct. 7, 1826, which announced that he had established a tailor shop 'over M. Read and Company's store, directly opposite the Pawtucket Hotel'.



p. 383:

MATHEWSON, Thomas A., was born in North Scituate, R. I., March 31, 1825. The Mathewson family originated in Scotland.  On coming to this country early in the last century they settled in North Scituate.  Here Simon Mathewson, father of Thomas A., was born March 6, 1797, and married Amie Angell, May 10, 1822.  Thomas A. was a machinist and inventor of unusual ability.  From 1868 to the time of his death he was a member of the firm of Payne & Mathewson, now G. W. Payne & Co., builders of upright spoolers and patent cone winders.  Much of the success of this concern was due to his skill as a mechanic and administrator.  He married Mary A. Merrill, who was born in Nobleboro, Me., Jan. 8, 1827, and is still living. She comes of sturdy English stock, but her ancestors have lived in America for generations.  To Mr. and Mrs. Mathewson were born four children:  Jane E., Ocella, Vella, and Lester I.   Mr. Mathewson died very suddenly of apolexy in Philadelphia, Oct. 11, 1880.



p. 383 - 384:

MATHEWSON, Lester I., son of Thomas A. and Mary A., was born in Nobleboro, Me., April 10, 1860, and came to Pawtucket in 1867, where he received his education in the public schools.  He was a graduate of the high school in 1880.  After leaving school he worked for Payne & Mathewson until the death of his father.  He then attended the Bryant & Stratton Business College in Providence.  From there he went to work for the jewelry firm of T. I. Smith & Co., of North Attleboro.  He was the New York salesman of that firm when he terminated his connection with them in 1887 to go into the firm of J. N. Polsey & Co., box manufacturers of this city, of which he is still a member.

Mr. Mathewson is an attendant of the Congregational church.  He is a member of several social and fraternal organizations.  In 1886 he was married to Erminie Robbins in Norwich, Conn., and they have two children:  Ella Robbins, b. 1890, and Doris Roath, b. 1894.



p. 384:

MASSMANN, Adolph W., confectioner and restaurateur, was born in 1857, at Hamburg, Germany, where he learned the trade of a candy maker or confectioner.  In 1888 he came to America and worked for J. H. Roberts & Co., of Providence, being foreman of the candy factory of that firm for nine years.  In 1890 he came to Pawtucket and opened and operated a confectionery store at his present location, 209 Main street.  The business prospered from the start and recently he has enlarged his quarters and added thereto a first-class restaurant which is much patronized by ladies.  Mr. Massmann has made a reputation with his candies and ice cream.  He uses only the best selected materials.  He is a member of Enterprise Lodge, I. O. O. F.  June, 1893, he was married to Louisa Jenks of Pawtucket, daughter of Isaac T. Jenks



p. 384:

McCABE, Bernard, the fourth child of Hugh and Catherine (McEntee) McCabe, was born in Pawtucket, March 1, 1848.  His father was born in Ireland but came to America in 1843 and settled in Pawtucket.  Leaving school at 15, Bernard was employed in the Pervear Bolt Works but relinquished that situation to learn the trade of blacksmith with Allen Green at Providence. When a journeyman he found employment in Boston, but returned to Pawtucket in 1875, when he joined with Michael Whalen and opened a general blacksmithing and wheelright shop.  In 1880 he purchased Mr. Whalen's interest, and in 1887 he erected the building now occupied by him for the manufacture of carriages and wagons and also a wheelright and blacksmith shop, corner of Main and Bayley street.  He also conducts a store at 345 Main street for the sale of the Fowler and other bicycles.  In national politics Mr. McCabe is a Democrat, but in local matters he is an independent.  In July, 1891, he was mraried to Ellen M. Brady of Attleboro, Mass.



p. 384:

McCALLUM, Charles A., was born in New York city, Dec. 31, 1869, and is the tenth child of Charles and Margaret (McQuity) McCallum.  His parents were natives of the North of Ireland, and are of Scotch ancestry.  They came to this country some time in the 40's.  He attended the New York public schools until he was 14 years old.  He then studied privately and finally fitted himself for his present profession of registered pharmacist.  Meanwhile he had worked as a dry goods clerk and at various other occupations, but only as a means of securing the education and training he desired.

In 1891 Mr. McCallum purchased the druggist store he now conducts at 88 Central street, Central Falls.  This business was started here in 1883. Under Mr. McCallum's management it has steadily increased each year and now is in a prosperous condition.

Dec. 31, 1890, Mr. McCallum was married in Pawtucket to Abigail Clarkson. Three children are the result of the union:  Ida Estella, b. April 2, 1892; Vivian Harcourt Clarkson, b. Sept. 30, 1893; and Myrtle Mellwood, b. Dec. 21, 1894.  The first two were born in Central Falls and the last in Pawtucket.  Mr. McCallum is a member of the Episcopal church and of the Young Men's Christian Association.  He also belongs to the United Workmen, the Red Men, the Foresters, the Rhode Island Wheelmen, and the league of American Wheelmen.  For the past five years he has been local consul for the last named organization.



p. 384 - 386:

McCAUGHEY, Bernard, is one of the best known and most successful business men in Pawtucket.  He was born at Lismore, near Clagher [sic], County Tyrone, Ireland, Jan. 19, 1844, and is the seventh child of James and Isabella (O'Neill) McCaughey, who were the parents of ten children - nine sons and one daughter.  His father in early life was a handloom linen weaver, but afterwards took to farming and road making, and at the time of his death in 1861 was the largest road contractor in that part of the country.  His mother was a woman of great force of character and took much pride in the history of her family, the O'Neills of Errigle Keiran, Tyrone.

Bernard obtained his education in the national schools of his native land. At the age of 15 he went to work in a bakery, where he was employed for six years.  Oct. 9, 1865, he left Ireland in a sailing ship and arrived in New York, Nov. 12, with $12.50 in his possession.  He went to Taunton, Mass., obtained a job as a baker, which occupation he followed until June, 1866, when he went to work in the Taunton Locomotive Works, where he remained until Jan., 1867.  He then came to Providence, R. I., was employed in the Burnside Locomotive Works until August, 1867, and worked for Francis Hackett on Atwells avenue for thirteen months.

He then engaged with Flint & Co. of Providence, as a tin peddler, driving a well-stocked wagon throughout the country as was customary at that period. For ten years he followed this calling with that firm.  In 1878 he went into business for himself with a wagon, purchasing his goods from Anthony & Cowell, and continued this business until March, 1884, when he came to Pawtucket and hired a store on North Main street in the old horse car barn, and started as a storekeeper on his own account.  Since then he has enlarged his store six times, now occupies the whole building and has also added a story and a half to the structure.  In 1889 he was granted a patent on a dripping pan, for which he received two medals from the Rhode Island Society for the Encouragement of Domestic Industry.  Mr. McCaughey's specialty is house furnishing goods.  The store occupies a building four stories high, and the floor space is over 30,000 square feet.  In connection with the retail department is a storehouse three stories high, a short distance in the rear, covering a large amount of space.

In religion Mr. McCaughey is a Catholic and a member of St. Joseph's church. He is a member of the Catholic Knights of America.  He is much interested in temperance work, and was vice-president of the Temperance Union of the Diocese of Providence.  In 1894 he was a delegate to the Temperance Convention held in St. Paul, and in 1895 to the one held in New York.

July 24, 1870, he was married to Bridget Leonard, and they have had five children: Mary, b. Aug. 17, 1871, d. July 21, 1891; Sadie, b. Feb. 9, 1874; Bella, b. June 24, 1876; James, b. Oct. 17, 1878; Katie, b. Oct. 15, 1882.

illustration on page. 386: photo, Bernard McCaughey, of Bernard McCaughey & Co., House-furnishing goods.

illustrations on facing page (page 385): Stephen Dexter Angell, Dry and Fancy Good, Boots and Shoes, Etc., Lonsdale; James E. Banigan, Attorney-at-Law; David B. Lemley, Foreman Tentering and Finishing, New Bleachery, Saylesville; James F. Barry, of Esser & Barry, Mfg., Jewelers, Providence; Charles R. Bucklin, of Bucklin & Trescott, Leather Manufacturers; Waldo Trescott, of Bucklin & Trescott, Leather Manufacturers.



p. 386 - 387:

McCAUGHEY, Edward, third child of John and Ann McCaughey, was born in Providence, R. I., in 1844.  His parents moved to Pawtucket, where Edward attended the parochial and public schools.  When 14 years old he was employed in the Potter cotton mill on River street, and later at the Dunnell printworks; then in the old Stone mill, and afterwards in the old Greene cotton mill.  He learned all the details of the cotton mill business and became a skilled workman.  He then entered the employ of John Martin in the express and teaming business and became a trusted messenger.  He then learned to be a mason, which trade he followed for 11 years.  In 1876 he went into the employ of Charles McNulty, grocer, 105 School street, where he is now holding the position of confidential clerk and manager during the absence of his employer.  In 1887 and 1888 he was a member of the city council from the second ward and again in 1895 and 1897.  He was also a member of the Democratic city committee.  Mr. McCaughey is a member of St. Joseph's Catholic church, the A. O. H., the Seekonk Democratic club, the Pawtucket Veteran Firemen's Association, and of the Young Irelanders Society.  In 1865 he was married to Mary Moriarty of Pawtucket, by which union there were 13 children 10 of whom are living:  John, Elizabeth, Katherine, James, Patrick, Joseph, Owen, Charles, William, Anne.  Mr. McCaughey's parents were born in County Tyrone, Ireland.



p. 387:

McCAUGHEY, Joseph H., was born in Pawtucket, April, 1864, and is the fourth child of Patrick and Margaret (Ferris) McCaughey.  His father was born in Tyrone, Ireland, in 1826, came to this country in 1836, and died in Pawtucket in 1890.  His mother was born in Taunton.  Joseph attended the public schools of his native city until he was 16 years old, when he worked in a newspaper and periodical store for two years.  He then served three years as an apprentice at the plumbing trade, and for nine years thereafter worked as a journeyman in various shops.  In 1892 he started in business for himself at 74 Main street, where he remained a little over two years.  In 1895 he removed to Broadway, but in February, 1896, he opened the shop at his present stand, 69 Main street.  His business has steadily increased, and has been uniformly successful since the start.  In politics Mr. McCaughey is an independent.  He was elected a member of the city council from the second ward in 1894.  In religion he is a Catholic.  In 1889 he was married to Bridget Fallon of Pawtucket, and they have had four children: Annie, Joseph (deceased), William and Joseph.



p. 387:

McDUFF, Henry Charles, the first child of James and Katherine (O'Neil) McDuff, was born in Pawtucket, Sept. 7, 1859, and died April 20, 1896.  He attended the public schools until his fifteenth year when he entered A. G. Scholfield's Commercial College, Providence, from which he was graduated in 1876.  For one year he was bookkeeper for D. C. Wood, hatter and furrier, Providence.  In 1879 he became bookkeeper to and later traveling salesman for William G. R. Mowry & Co., lumber dealers, Providence, and occupied a similar position with the Warmbeck Lumber Co., of Bethlehem, N. H.  In 1889 he opened a lumber yard in Darlington, at 466 Cottage street, Pawtucket, which he continued until the time of his death and made a pronounced success of the enterprise.  He was also a member of the City Coal Co. from its formation.

In politics Mr. McDuff was a Democrat.  He served the old town of Pawtucket, after the consolidation, as clerk, moderator and warden of the eastern district, and in 1886-7 represented the second ward in the city council.  He was a member of the New England Order of Protection, and attended St. Joseph's Catholic church.  Oct. 24, 1888, he was married to Sarah H. O'Brien of Clinton, Mass., to whom two children were born:  Henry C., Jr., b. Jan. 31, 1891; Madeline C., b. Nov. 27, 1893.  Mr. McDuff's parents were both born in Ireland - his father in the County Tyrone, Jan. 19, 1833, and his mother in County Leitrim, Aug. 17, 1837.



p. 387 - 388:

McGOWAN, Michael, superintendent of construction at the New England Electrolytic Copper Co., Central Falls, was born in Pawtucket, Sept. 1, 1850, and is the oldest child of Terence and Mary (Killian) McGowan.  He obtained his education in the public and parochial schools of Pawtucket. When 15 years old he went to work in a store, and three years later he began to learn the trade of a carpenter and millwright with Lewin, Fisk & Kenyon, with which firm he remained until 1878.  He then had charge of the construction and repairs at the tannery of William Coupe, tanner, South Attleboro, for fifteen years.  When the New England Electrolytic Copper Works were started by H. R. Caulfield in 1892, Mr. McGowan was engaged as master mechanic, which position he has since continued to hold, and has charge of all the repairs in the works.  Mr. McGowan, since his youth, has been interested in the fire department.  He joined the department in 1868 as a hoseman, and when he resigned in 1874 was an engineer.  He was connected with the Rhode Island Steam Fire Engine No. 1, which occupied the building on North Main street now used as the police station.  While not now connected with the fire department officially, he has rendered very valuable assistance at a number of large fires by taking charge of volunteers and fighting the flames.  He is a prominent member of the Pawtucket Veteran Fireman's Association, having served four years as foreman.  At one time he was a member of the Sheridan Light Infantry, Pawtucket.

In politics Mr. McGowan is an independent.  He attends St. Joseph's Catholic church.  May 11, 1876, he was married to Susan A. McNamara, who died Oct. 1, 1892.  Seven children - four boys and three girls - were born to them, and of these three girls and two boys are living.

illustration on page 388: photo, Michael McGowan, Superintendent of Construction, E. N. Electolytic Copper Co.



p. 388:

McGREGOR, Rev. Alexander, the pastor of the Pawtucket Congregational church, is the eldest son of Dugald and Louisa McGregor, and was born in Glasgow, Scotland, April 3, 1834.  He received his classical education at Edinburgh, Scotland, and at Toronto, Canada.  His first ministerial charge was at Brockville, Ontario, where he remained eight years.  He was then called to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, where he remained for 12 years.  In 1883 he came to Pawtucket and entered on his present pastorate.  He has been closely identified through all his public life with educational work, having been a director of the Congregational College, Montreal, and a fellow of the Senate of the Halifax University.  He is also a trustee of the Wheaton Seminary, Norton, Mass.  In addition he is secretary of the Congregational Home Missionary Society of Rhode Island, president of the Rhode Island Congregational Club, and an honorary member of the Clan Fraser.  In politics he is a Republican.  On June 9, 1858, he was married to Mary McDougal, by which union there were nine children:  Eben, William, Jessie Louise, Alexander, George R. D., Mary F., Lizzie Dudley, Jeanie Dennis and Una Clarissa.

Mr. McGregor's father was a minister of the gospel in Scotland and Canada, and his four brothers are actively engaged in the same profession in various parts of Canada and the United States.



p. 388 - 390:

McKENNA, Frank Augustus, M. D., was born in Pawtucket, Sept. 8, 1866.  He is the second child of Francis and Mary A. McKenna.  His father was also born in Pawtucket in 1844, and the family have now been in this country for three generations. Frank A. attended the Pawtucket public schools.  He began in 1884 to study medicine with Dr. Gaylord, who was one of the best known physicians on the east side, Pawtucket.  This office study he supplemented by a medical course in the University of New York, and he was graduated from the college of Physicians and Surgeons of Baltimore, Md., with the degree of M. D., April 1, 1893.  In the same year he began the practice of his profession in his native city, and he has established a reputation for skill.  His practice is steadily increasing.  His office is at 3 Broadway, where he pursued his studies for 11 years.

illustrations on facing page (page 389): photos, Richard Martin, Attorney-at-Law; William J. Martin, Assistant Master Mechanic, Dunnell Mfg. Co.; Dr. J. M. McIlvain, 5 North Main street; Frank A. McKenna, M. D., 3 Broadway; James A. Moncrief, Treasurer and General Manager, Pawtucket Steamboat Co.; Bernard McCabe, Blacksmith and Carriage Manufacturer.



p. 390:

McKENNA, Frank, was born in County Monaghan, Ireland, July 14, 1857, and is the eighth child of James and Mary (McCarron) McKenna.  He attended the national schools of his native country until his 14th year and continued his studies in the night schools of Central Falls, whither he had moved with his parents in 1873.  He learned the trade of a brass founder and worked at it until 1890, when he established the City Brass Foundary at 9 Slater avenue, his present location.  He attends the Sacred Heart Catholic church, Pawtucket; is a member, and has been president of the S. H. C. T. A. S., of Central Falls.  Oct. 15, 1889, he was married to Ellen McNeil of Pawtucket and they have four children, James, b. Dec. 22, 1891; Mary, b. July 29, 1893; Francis, b. Dec. 15, 1894; Ellena, b. April 13, 1896.



p. 390:

McILVAIN, J. Morton, M. D., D. D. S., was born at Churchville, Harford county, Maryland.  His family originated in Scotland, and his first American ancestors came to this country prior to 1776.  His grandfather, Jeremiah, was b. at Chester, Penn., Feb. 2, 1808; his grandmother, Ann Crosty Morton, a granddaughter of John Morton, the signer of the declaration of independence, was b. at Morton, Pa., Aug. 2, 1804.  His father, George W. was b. at Morton, and married Rachela, daughter of Dr. Samuel J. Ramsay, examining surgeon for the Union army during the war of the rebellion.  Dr. Ramsay was a nephew of Col. Ramsay of the war of 1812 and a relative of David Ramsay the historian.

Upon leaving Trinity School, Churchville, where he received his preliminary schooling, young McIlvain entered Swarthmore College, Pa., and pursued a scientific course; then taking up his professional studies, after several years residence in California, he received the degree of D. D. S. from the University of Michigan and later the degree of M. D., from the University of Maryland.  In 1892 he registered as a dentist in Providence and came to Pawtucket in 1895.  He is a member of Union Lodge, No. 10, A .F. and A. M. He is not an active church member, but leans towards the belief of the Hicksite Friends.  In politics he is a Republican.



p. 390 - 391:

McMANUS, Peter Bingham, proprietor of the Home Bleach and Dye Works, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, March 24, 1837, and is the third child of Daniel and Margaret (Bingham) McManus.  He attended the schools of his native city until he was nine years old, when he was sent to the bleaching and dyeing establishment of Gettis & Son, Glasgow, to learn the business.  After becoming a proficient workman he was employed in Paisley, Scotland, and Belfast, Ireland.  At the latter place he had full charge of the works.  In 1870 he came to America, locating first at Lewiston, Me.  From there he went to Walpole, Mass., where he was stationed for ten years.

In 1882 he came to Pawtucket to manage the bleaching and dyeing department of the Union Wadding Company, but three years later purchased the business, which he has since conducted under the name of the Home Bleach and Dye Works.  In 1889 he leased the Valley Falls Dyeing and Bleaching Works, but in 1892 the buildings were destroyed by fire.  That part of the business he then transferred to his original plant, which is one of the best equipped of its kind in New England.  The business has steadily grown under Mr. McManus's control and from an original force of 20, there are now 123 employees.

Mr. McManus is a member of the Union Lodge, A. F. and A. M., a Knight Templar, a Shriner, an honorary member of the G. A. R., and of the Veteran Firemen's Association, and belongs to the Pawtucket Business Men's Association.  August, 1859, he was married to Mary Hunter of Glasgow, Scotland, by which union there were eight children, five having died, leaving Peter B., Jr., b. Dec. 31, 1871; Mary, b. July 1, 1873; John, b. May 29, 1876.



p. 391:

MEIKLEJOHN, John Watt, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, May, 1863, and is the fourth child of James and Elizabeth (France) Meiklejohn.  His family was originally from Denny, Stirlingshire, Scotland.  In 1880 James with his wife and children came to America and settled in Apponaug, R. I.  The father and mother are still living, and the former is a foreman at the Dunnell printworks.  John W. attended the board schools in England until he was sixteen years old.  He then taught school for two sessions and afterwards worked with his father at calico printing.  In 1884 he established a small store on Park place, at first dealing in newspapers, sheet music and notions, but his business rapidly increased and he soon added pianos to his stock, and enlarged his store by hiring more room.  In 1886 he took George Lomas into partnership in the piano business, and the firm became known as Meiklejohn & Lomas.  His present commodious quarters at 7 North Union street were first occupied in 1887.  Mr. Lomas retired from the concern in 1889, when Mr. Meiklejohn's father and his brother Andrew were admitted to the firm, when then took the name of John W. Meiklejohn & Co.  During these changes the business grew steadily.  A specialty is made of the Estey pianos.

Mr. Meiklejohn conceived the idea that a hall for concerts, assemblies and high-class entertainments was essential in Pawtucket.  He impressed his belief on others, and finally induced Callender, McAuslan & Troup Co., of Providence, to erect in 1894 the Auditorium on the corner of Common and George streets, opposite Wilkinson park.  His firm has a lease of the building for ten years and Mr. Meiklejohn is the manager.  The Pawtucket Polo Team plays all its games in this building, and Mr. Meiklejohn owns the franchise and is the manager of the club.  The success of the enterprise has fully justified Mr. Meiklejohn's forecasts and business acumen.  In politics Mr. Meiklejohn is a Republican.  Since 1894 he has been one of the license commissioners.  He is a member of the Pawtucket Congregational church.  In social and fraternal societies he takes an active interest, and belongs to the Knights of Pythias, the Order of Scottish Clans, the New England Order of Protection and the T. K. Club.  He was married April 24, 1895, to Miss Agnes Potter and they have one child.



p. 391:

MICLETTE, Oliver, was born March 20, 1839, at Marieville, P. Q., where he attended the public schools until the age of 12; and subsequently took a collegiate course at Chambly.  For ten years he engaged in farming in California, but returned to his native country and continued as a farmer until 1882 when he came to Pawtucket and opened a grocery and provisions store, corner of Harrison and Slater streets, where he was stationed until 1892, when he moved to his present quarters, corner Capital and Slater streets.  He is a member of the Catholic Knights of America, of the Society of St. Jean the Baptiste, the Union of St. John, and the Granite Building Association.  Nov. 10, 1867, he was married to Ann O'Gara, of Lawrence, Mass., sister of Rev. Thomas F. O'Gara of Wilmington, Illinois.



p. 391 - 392:

MILLER, Joseph Williams, was born in Pawtucket, Oct. 12, 1830, and was the fourth child of Joseph and Charlotte (Bagley) Miller.  He attended the public schools and when 16 years old became clerk in his father's grocery on North Main street.  He entered the machine shop of Thomas J. Hill to learn the machinist trade and as a journeyman worked for the Pawtucket Hair Co., James S. Brown, and Northup & Thurber, after which he established himself in the business of a wholesale and retail grocer, which he abandoned in 1871 to give his whole attention to his real estate properties.  In 1892 he was elected a member of the board of aldermen from the fourth ward and has been reelected every year since.  Oct. 22, 1852, he was married to Hannah E. Hamlin of Providence, by which union there are two children:  Frank Webster, b. Nov. 12, 1853, and Charles Mortimer, b. July 25, 1868.



p. 392:

MILLER, Reuben K., was born in Attleboro, Mass., Dec. 22, 1832, and is the fifth child of Ira K. and Mary A. (Bullock) Miller.  He attended the public schools of Attleboro, and also at Pawtucket, to which town his parents had removed, until he was 16 years old, when he went to work in the printworks at Manchester, N. H.  He returned to Pawtucket in 1849, and joined his father who was a meat and provision dealer, and much of the business was carried on by means of wagons.  To this branch of the business Reuben paid special attention and subsequently purchased his father's interest.  In 1865 he connected himself with Edwin Darling as manager of the Main street market, corner Main street and Park place, the site of the present Boston store.  In 1867 he formed a copartnership with Charles E. Chickering, under the name of Chickering & Miller Express Co., which firm was dissolved in 1885 by the retirement of Mr. Miller to permit him to devote his time and efforts to the Perry Oil Co., which he had purchased in 1879 and of which he was the active and responsible manager.  He later organized the Rhode Island Agricultural Chemical Co., for the manufacture of fertilizers.  In 1890 he admitted George T. Greenhalgh into the company, the latter becoming manager while Mr. Miller was the treasurer, and the business has since been carried on at 372 Central avenue.

Mr. Miller was married Nov. 26, 1854, to Elizabeth Lawton, of Seekonk, Mass. Three children are the fruit of the union, Henry H., b. Oct. 1, 1855; George L., b. Dec. 15, 1857; and Reuben K., Jr., b. Aug. 1, 1879 [sic].  Mr. Miller is an Odd Fellow, and an attendant of the Park Place Congregational church. In politics he is a Republican.



p. 392 - 394:

MOIES, Charles Parmenter, first mayor of Central Falls, was born in North Providence (now Pawtucket), March 24, 1845, son of Thomas and Susan W. (Seymour) Moies.  He is a grandson of John and Anna (Robinson) Moies of Dorchester, Mass.  On the maternal side his great-grandfather was Capt. John George Curien, who came to this country from France with Lafayette, served in the revolution, and married Olive Branch of Providence, their daughter Cecilia married George Seymour, and their daughter Susan married Thomas Moies and was the mother of Charles P.  He received his early education in the public schools of Central Falls, and attended Scholfield's Commercial College, Providence, in 1864.  In March, 1865, he went to Chicago, Ill., and entered the freight office of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, remaining there until September, 1866, when he returned to his home in Central Falls, and entered the Pawtucket Institute for Savings as clerk and assistant to his father, who filled the office of treasurer.  Upon the death of his father, in November, 1886, Charles P. was elected treasurer, which office he still holds.  In May, 1885, he was elected treasurer of the Pawtucket Mutual Fire Insurance Co. and still holds that office.  In January, 1881, he was elected treasurer of the Central Falls Fire District, succeeding his uncle, Charles Moies, who had held the office 26 years, and continued in that capacity until March, 1895, when the district was abolished by the organization of the city of Central Falls.  He also succeeded his father, upon the latter's death in 1886, as treasurer of union school districts, one and two, of Central Falls, and served until May, 1892, when the district school system was abolished by the adoption of the town system by the town of Lincoln.  He was also elected treasurer of the town of Lincoln upon the death of his father (the former treasurer), and continued in that office until the town was made a city, March 18, 1895, when he was elected the first mayor of Central Falls, and held the office until Jan. 6, 1896.  In politics he is a Republican, and represented the town of Lincoln in 1885 in the lower branch of the General Assembly.  Mr. Moies left school at the age of 17, in September, 1862, to enter the army, and served during his term of enlistment nine months in Co. B, 11th Regiment Rhode Island Volunteers.  He is a member of Ballou Post, G. A. R., and served two years as its commander.  He is also a member of the Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, Knights of Honor, Veteran Firemen's Association and the Pawtucket Business Men's Association.  He was married, Dec. 19, 1876, to Florence Damon Wetherell; they have one son, Charles P. Moies, Jr.

illustrations facing page (page 393): photo, residence of Samuel M. Conant, Clay Street, Central Falls. photo, residence of Alanson P. Wood, Central Street, Central Falls.



p. 394:

MONCRIEF, James Alexander, the fourth child of Robert and Mary (Shivers) Moncrief, was born in Libertytown, Frederick County, Md., Feb. 28, 1838.  He attended the public schools in his native town until his 17th year, when he was apprenticed to the machinist trade at the B. & O. machine shops, Baltimore, and later went with Murray & Hazlehart, steamboat builders.  He then went to the Spring Garden Steam Engine works in Philadelphia and in 1860 he went with the Corliss Engine Co., Providence, where he remained until 1866, when he went into the employ of the Dunnell Manufacturing Co., of Pawtucket, as chief engineer and master mechanic.  Later he associated himself with Robert M. W. Horton and James McLay, at Pawtucket, and built the steamboat 'Pioneer', the first large boat utilized for excursion purposes on the Pawtucket river.  The 'Pioneer' is now used as a trader running in Florida.  He then built 'Pioneer 2', which runs from Pawtucket to the shore resorts on Narragansett Bay.  He built in 1844 [sic] the 'Peerless', now in commission in Nova Scotia; the 'Pawtucket', in 1885, which is used as a trader in Trinidad' the 'Planet', in 1890, and the 'Petrel' in 1892, one of the fastest boats in her class.  In 1894-5 he rebuilt the 'Planet', increasing her passenger capacity to 700 and changing her name to 'Pawnee'.  The steamboat business was incorporated in 1885 under the name of the Pawtucket Steamboat Co., of which Robert M. W. Horton is president, James McLay vice-president, while Mr. Moncrief is treasurer and manager.  Mr. Moncrief now conducts a general  machine shop giving special attention to marine machinery.  He is a Universalist and is a Knight of Pythias, a Knight of Honor, and a member of the Odd Fellows.  Dec. 25, 1868, he was married to Louisa J. Green of Nantucket, Mass., and from this union there are four children:  Elizabeth, Jennie L., James A., and Myrtie Belle. In politics Mr. Monrief is a Republican.



p. 394 - 396:

MORONEY, William P., was born at Spanish Point, Milltown, Malbay, County Clare, Ireland, in 1837.  At the age of 19 he came to this country and went to work at the shoe business in Middleboro, Mass.  Soon after he moved to Sandwich, Mass., where in 1862 he opened a shoe store.  In 1859 he married Catharine Hurley and has a family of five daughters and one son, all born in Sandwich, Mass.  His son is now a practicing physician in this city.  In 1876 he moved to Pawtucket where he opened a retail boot and shoe store on East avenue, which business he continued until 1887.  In that year he sold out the shoe business and engaged in the real estate and insurance business at 17 North Main street, his present location.

Mr. Moroney has been closely identified with Pawtucket both as a town and as a city, and in no small degree has contributed to its success.  He has held many offices of trust, and was the last president of the town council of Pawtucket.  He was assessor of taxes for nearly 12 years, when he resigned in order to give his sole attention to his private business.  He was sewer commissioner for nearly five years previous to the organization of the board of public works.  He was one of the organizers of the Pawtucket board of fire insurance underwriters and became its first president.  He was selected by the city of Pawtucket as referee in the Hammond's pond nuisance case and by his independent action saved the city several thousands of dollars.  He was stockholder in and one of the directors of the Post Publishing Co. when that paper was a Democratic organ.  He is the tenth child of Patrick and Jane (Carey) Moroney.  His parents were born in Ireland.  His father conducted one of the largest shoe manufacturing establishments in County Clare.  His mother was descended from a family of substantial Irish farmers.

illustration on page 394: photo, William P. Moroney, Real Estate and Insurance Agent and Auctioneer.

illustration on facing page (page 395): engraving, Mills of the Slater Cotton Co.



p. 396:

MORSE, Francis D., the third son of James and Elvila Morse, was born May 25, 1830, in Southbridge, Mass.  He attended the public schools in his native place until he was 17 years of age, when he further pursued his studies in an academy at Monson.  In 1858 he removed to Genoa Bluffs, Iowa, where he bought a farm, which he conducted for six years, and in addition taught school during the winter months.  In 1864 he returned east and in 1876 established the business of bookbinding and blankbook  manufacturing with his son Walter F. as a partner, the firm name being F. D. Morse & Son. In 1878 the junior member died, and in 1880, another son, Frederic A., became a member of the firm.  They have by close application  to business and strict integrity, no less than by thoroughness and skillful workmanship, conducted a successful business.  March 7, 1855, Mr. Morse married Sarah F. Rawson of Providence, by which union there were three children:  Walter F. (deceased), Frederic A., and Elizabeth C.  Mr. Morse is a deacon of the Park Place Congregational church, and a charter member of the church society.  In politics he is a Republican.



p. 396:

MORSE, Frederic A., the second son of Francis D. Morse, was born in Genoa Bluffs, Iowa.  He is a direct lineal descendant from Edward Rawson, the honored first secretary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.  His parents came east in 1864 and located in Pawtucket.  Frederic A. after completing a course of study in the Pawtucket high school, entered into partnership with his father, the firm name being F. D. Morse & Son.  The firm does high grade binding of all sorts, and makes a specialty of blankbook manufacturing.

Mr. Morse is endowed with considerable mechanical skill, and has given evidence of his ingenuity in this line in a recent invention of  his, known as the 'Morse Automatic Liquid-Level Indicator'.  This device applied to closed opaque vessels for holding liquids will at all times indicate the exact quantity of liquid within.  This is ingeniously accomplished by a combination of characters and figures of capacity with segments of colors on a movable circular index, revolving in close proximity to a transparent eye-piece mounted in the top of the containing vessel.  This invention has been highly indorsed by the leading oil lamp and stove manufacturers.  They pronounce the invention to be one of great utility and value.  Mr. Morse holds several patents on his invention in the United States and Canada, and has also received letters patent from six of the leading European governments.

Mr. Morse is a Republican and a member of the Garfield Club.  He is also a member of the Rhode Island Congregational Club.  He is a member of the Pawtucket Congregational church and superintendent of its Sabbath school.



p. 396 - 397:

MURPHY, Daniel, was born in Surrey, Me., Sept. 1849, and was the sixth child of John and Mary (Haley) Murphy.  His parents were natives of Ireland, and his father came to this country in 1839.  Daniel received his education at St. Mary's parochial school, Pawtucket.  He then learned the trade of a currier and followed this occupation for 17 years.  From 1875 to 1877 he was a member of the Pawtucket police force.  Aug. 2, 1882, in company with Henry J. Lynd he formed the firm of Lynd & Murphy, and opened a store in the Bagley block for the sale of boots and shoes, hats and caps, and gentlemen's furnishings.  The business has been continued until the present under the name and has been uniformly prosperous.  April 30, 1885, the store was removed to the LeFavour block.  It was enlarged at that location, April 12, 1888.  July 8, 1891, it was removed to the Sheldon building, No. 3 Broad street, and there was greatly enlarged Jan. 1, 1896.  The firm has always carried on a first-class business, and enjoyed a well deserved repute among customers.

Mr. Murphy served during the civil war in the 2d Rhode Island Regiment of Infantry.  He is now a member of Tower Post, G. A. R.  In religion he is a Catholic and is a member of St. Mary's church and of the Young Men's Association.  In 1880 he was married to Mary Elizabeth Lynd, sister of his present partner, and they have nine children:  Margaret Collett, Daniel Titus, Henry Lewis, Mary Celestine, Agnes Frances, George, Joseph Guild, John, and Genevieve.



p. 397:

MURRAY, Patrick Joseph, was born at Weston, Lewis County, W. Va., March 16, 1856.  In 1867 his parents settled in Olneyville, R. I., and at 11 years of age Patrick began life as a 'back boy' in a cotton mill at Olneyville, and in course of time became second hand in the weaving department.  In 1872 he purchased a life scholarship in Bryant & Stratton Business College, night sessions, at Providence, and graduated in 1876.  He then entered the employ of Kennedy & Gough, grocers, and emigrations agents at Olneyville as bookkeeper and confidential clerk, which position he occupied until 1890, when he was admitted to partnership and the firm name was changed to Kennedy, Gough & Murray.  The firm opened a branch store at 357-359 Main street, Pawtucket, placing it under the management of the junior partner. He was a member of the school committee, Providence, from 1887 to 1890.  He is a member of the Narragansett Lodge, No. 4, United Workmen, of Olneyville; the Catholic Knights of America; the Knights of Columbus, being grand knight of Delaney Council, Pawtucket; is vice-president of St. Mary's Young Men's Catholic Association, and a member of the Ancient Order of Hiberians.  Sept. 21, 1880, he was married to Maggie J. Kelly of Mason Village, N. H.



p. 397:

NEWELL, Frank A., son of William Newell, was born at the family homestead on High street, Central Falls, town of Smithfield, in 1850.  After attending the public schools he took a course at the Bryant & Stratton Business College, Providence.  At the age of 19 he entered the office of the Pawtucket Gas Co., of which his father was then president, which position he held for nearly ten years.  As a youth he gave evidence of qualifications superior to his position and during the same time held various public offices, including collector of taxes for the town of Lincoln, for the school district of Central Falls, and other minor offices.  In 1882 he engaged with the Pullman Palace Car Co., as conductor between Boston and various points in New England, which position he held for a number of years. He was then appointed agent and manager of excursion trains for the same company.  While occupying this last position he traveled all over the United States and as a result  he is familiar with the topography and recognized as one of the best equipped railroad geographers in the United States.  Absence of book education, such as is comprehended by a course in the university, he has overcome by constant and persistent readings, intelligently directed, united with keen observation and practical application; and being endowed with superior mental attainments he is cultivated and cultured, and instructive as well as entertaining in speech.

Having retired from active business he finds employment in managing his properties.  Without political ambition he finds time to gratify his taste for books, and his reading is as varied and accurate and practical as has been his business education.  For several years he was in active service as a volunteer fireman and still retains his membership in the Veteran Firemen's Association.

He is a member of the Lincoln Republican Association of Central Falls.  In 1880 he was married to Anna E., daughter of David and Eliza (Taylor) Matteson, and resides on Cottage street, Pawtucket.



p. 397 - 398:

NEWELL, Fred Eugene, the fourth child of William and Emeline (Fuller) Newell, was born in Smithfield, R. I., Dec. 21, 1852. He attended the public schools of his native town, was also a pupil at the East Greenwich Seminary, and completed his education in the Bryant & Stratton Business College, Providence, R. I.  He then worked for his father until early in 1879, when he went to Leadville, Col., where he remained about a year engaged in gold mining.  On his return, late in 1879, he became a partner in the business, under the firm name of William Newell & Co.  On the retirement of his father in 1886, he became sole owner, and has since conducted the enterprise alone.  He has greatly enlarged the plant, adding a machine shop and a general moulding and finishing department, and devotes special attention to the manufacture of gas fittings.

Mr. Newell takes an active part in public affairs, and is at present a member of the school board and also of the Central Falls fire department. In fraternal affairs he belongs to and takes a prominent part in many societies.  He is a member of the Central Falls Veteran Firemen's Association; was captain of the Uniform Rank, Knights of Pythias, for four years; is past chancellor O. U. A. M.; and is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council, Commandery and Shriner, A. F. and A. M.; the Red Men; and the Ancient Essenic Order.  He also served in the state militia, was four years in the Pawtucket Light Guard, belonged one year to the Union Guards, and was six years in the United Train of Artillery, of Providence, in which he became sergeant. While in school he was a member of the East Greenwich Seminary Guards.  He has taken a conspicuous part in the Order of United American Mechanics, as he is thoroughly American and patriotic in sentiment. He was elected chief marshal of the order, and has managed the parades in the state with great success.  He was colonel of the Central Falls Blaine and Logan Guards in 1888; and was also colonel of the Harrison and Morton Guards, Central Falls, in 1892, when he had command of seven companies with a total of 353 men.

Nov. 1880 he was married to Gertrude H. Hibbard of Windham, Conn., by which union there were eight children:  Edith May, George W. (deceased), Harry (deceased), Frank O. (deceased), Charles Eugene, Grace Easter, Ruth and Lena.  Mr. Newell is of the eighth generation of his family in America.  His grandfather, Nathaniel Newell, was a substantial farmer in Cumberland, R. I., and lived to the age of 89 years and 6 months.  His grandmother lived to be over 86 years.  His father, William Newell, was a prominent brass founder and established fifty years ago the business Fred E. now conducts.

illustration on page 398: photo, Fred E. Newell, brass founder and finisher.



p. 398 - 399:

NEWELL, George Edwin, for many years one of the leading business men of Pawtucket, was born Sept. 19, 1830, in Cumberland, R. I., and died in Pawtucket, May 13, 1896.  He was a son of John and Polly (Grant) Newell, and was a descendant, in the seventh generation, of Abraham Newell, who was born in Ipswich, Eng., in 1581, and came to Roxbury, Mass., in 1634, dying there in 1672, at the ripe age of 91 years.  Until he was 16 years of age Mr. Newell alternately attended school and worked on his father's farm. Subsequently he attended the East Greenwich Seminary.  By teaching school at Diamond Hill Plain one winter he earned sufficient money to enable him to attend the Smithville Seminary at North Scituate (afterwards the Lapham Institute), where under the tutelage of Prof. Quimby, he rapidly advanced in the paths of education.  In the winter of 1848-9, when in his 19th year he taught school at Cumberland Hill, and the following spring and summer worked for his father.  With the means thus obtained he next attended the Merrimack Normal Institute at Reed's Ferry, N. H., and in the winter of 1850-1 he again taught school in Cumberland, where his reputation as an instructor was excellent.  He next took a special course at Brown University in mathematics, chemistry and didactics and afterwards taught school successfully in Franklin, Mass., and Central Falls.

In 1857 he came to Pawtucket and went into business with his cousin, Smith Grant, who kept a grocery and grain store in the Tyler building on Main street, next to the J. B. Read block.  They purchased the wharf property on the west bank of the river, now covered by the Newell Coal and Lumber Co.'s plant.  Smith Grant & Co. subsequently disposed of their grocery to John W. Tingley and enlarged their coal and lumber business to a considerable degree.  Mr. Grant died in July, 1885, and Mr. Newell purchased his interest from the widow.  In 1890 the Newell Coal & Lumber Company was incorporated, and Mr. Newell was its president until his death.  May 16, 1894, a conflagration reduced the entire property to ashes, but inside of a few months new buildings and elevators were erected.

Mr. Newell was closely identified with Pawtucket for nearly 40 years.  For 36 years he was a director of the Slater National Bank.  He was one of the original members of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association.  In politics he was a Republican.  He represented the old town of North Providence in the General Assembly, on the town council and on the school committee. He was the prime mover and constant companion of the improvement of the Pawtucket river, and was one of the commission that built the new Washington drawbridge at its mouth at India Point.  He was a consistent and devoted member of the First Baptist church and of the Y. M. C. A.  He was also one of the promoters of the Woodlawn Baptist Sunday school, the seed from which sprang the present flourishing Woodlawn Baptist church.  During the last dozen years of his life Mr. Newell and his wife went on several extended pleasure trips, visiting Mexico, the Pacific coast, Alaska, and the regions of the Northwest.

Aug. 3, 1857, Mr. Newell was married to Ermina A. Pinkham of Stanstead, Province of Quebec, Canada, and she has been a helpmate in the fullest sense of the word, her beloved husband's constant and devoted companion unto the end.  Six children survive their father.  They are Lillian (Mrs. B. D. Brown of New York), Carrie (Mrs. George E. Nicholas), Ada, Edwin L., Lucius H., and Arthur.



p. 399 - 400:

NEWELL, Oscar A., was born in Central Falls, R. I., May 1, 1845, and is the oldest son of William and Emeline (Fuller) Newell.  He attended the public schools of his native town, and completed his education at the Bryant & Stratton Business College, Providence, from which he was graduated in 1865. In 1866 he entered his father's foundry as a partner and assistant in the management of the business and remained there until 1879, when, his health failing, he engaged in the manufacturing jewelry business with Daggett & Coombs of Providence.  He purchased Mr. Coombs' interest a year later, when the firm became Daggett & Newell, but he retired from this firm in 1882.  He afterwards commenced the manufacture of hosiery at Central Falls.  In 1891 the business was incorporated under the name of the Rhode Island Hosiery Company, the factory being located in Central Falls.  Mr. Newell was elected treasurer and general manager, and still holds those positions.  Mr. Newell is a Republican, has taken a very active part in public matters and has been repeatedly elected by the people to represent them in various capacities. He represented Lincoln in the lower branch of the state legislature for four years in succession, and was chairman of a special committee appointed by the legislature to investigate the fisheries of the state.  During the last year of Mr. Newell's service there were only four Republicans in the house and he was the only one who secured the chairmanship of a joint committee of the house and senate, - on accounts and claims.  He was acting chairman of the committee on education the same year.  He was a member of the board of fire wards in Central Falls for six years, and served three years on the school committee.

Mr. Newell's mother was born in Pawtucket and descends from the Fuller family, many of whom were distinguished in public affairs for generations. Her grandfather was a soldier in the revolutionary war.

Sept. 26, 1868, Mr. Newell was married to Sarah A. Hall of Providence, by which union there are two children:  Edwin H., b. Jan., 1872; and William G., b. Jan., 1878.  His wife died in Sept., 1885, and in April, 1889, he was married to Ella V. Hazard of Central Falls.



p. 400:

NEWELL, William, is descended in the seventh generation from Abraham Newell, who was born at Ipswich, England, in 1581, and arrived at Roxbury, Mass., in 1634, where he died in 1672 at the ripe age of 91 years.  Among his descendants are some of the most eloquent and talented men that New England has produced.

William Newell, the second child of Nathaniel and Ruth (Howard) Newell, was born in Cumberland, R. I., June 12, 1820, and died in Central Falls, April 13, 1896.  He attended the public schools of his native town and completed his education at the academy in Attleboro, Mass.  For three years he alternately worked on his father's farm, and taught school, devoting the winter months to the latter and returning to the farm in the summer. Desiring to establish himself as a manufacturer he erected, in 1845, a small building on his father's farm, Cumberland, and here, with an assistant, commenced brass moulding.  The industry proved successful and two years later he removed to Smithfield, now Central Falls, and built a foundry which he conducted alone until 1866, when he admitted his son Oscar into partnership.  In 1879 Oscar was succeeded by his brother Fred, who in turn succeeded to the business upon the retirement of his father in 1886.  From 1886 to the time of his death, Mr. Newell retired from active business pursuits and devoted his attention to the management and care of his real estate.

Mr. Newell was active in politics and early in his career espoused the cause of the anti-slavery party.  He was elected a delegate to the National Convention of the Free Soil party which nominated John P. Hale, and was one of the five men in Central Falls to cast a vote for that candidate.  In 1856 he joined the Republican party, with which he was ever after identified. In 1858 he was elected to the General Assembly from Smithfield, and was continuously sent as a representative until 1863.  He was again elected to the General Assembly, from Lincoln in 1877.  He was one of the earliest to join the Volunteer Pacific Engine Company and was its foreman.  In 1852 he was elected a director of the People's Bank now the First National, which position he held until he resigned in 1895.  For a number of years he was president of the Pawtucket Gas Co.

July 21, 1844, he was married to Emeline Fuller of North Attleboro, by which union there are five children:  Oscar A., b. May 1, 1845; Charles, b. Oct. 23, 1847, (deceased); Frank A., b. Oct. 7, 1850; Fred E., b. Dec. 21, 1852; George H., b. Feb. 27, 1855, (deceased).


Continued

These documents are made available free to the public for non-commercial purposes by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project. Transcribed 2001 by Beth Hurd
MailIf you have a (pre-1922) contribution from a Rhode Island book or newspaper you would like to share, please send me an e-mail with the publication title, author, and publisher. Thanks. 

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~rigenweb/articles.html