Biographies of Pawtucket, Central Falls and Vicinity, 6
Rhode Island Reading Room
These documents are made available free to the public by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project

This section contains articles of genealogical and historic interest on Rhode Island in general, from old Rhode Island books and newspapers. If you would like to contribute please e-mail me with information.

Illustrated History of Pawtucket, Central Falls and Vicinity

by Robert Grieve, 1897
Providence: Published by Henry R. Caufield

Biographies of Prominent Citizens.

p. 344:

HAYES, Patrick E., son of Patrick and Catherine (Walsh) Hayes, was born in Holyoke, Mass., Nov. 16, 1848.  He attended St. Mary's parochial school, Pawtucket, until his 15th year, when he went to work in the mills of the Union Wadding Co., and continued to labor there until March, 1865.  Being too young to be accepted as a volunteer, he joined the regular army, enlisted in Co. H, 3d Battalion, 15th U. S. Infantry, and was stationed at Fort Adams, Newport.  Just after the close of the war of the rebellion his company joined the regiment at Lookout Mountain, and he afterwards was stationed at Mobile, Ala., and Macon, Ga., as clerk in the adjutant general's department.  He served under Generals Pope, Ruger and Meade, and was stationed at Atlanta, Ga., during the reconstruction period.  He served his entire period of enlistment and was discharged March, 1868, being at that time clerk in the adjutant general's department at the headquarters of Gen. Meade in Atlanta, Ga.  In 1869 he returned to the Union Wadding Co. and was successively promoted from one position to another until in 1880 he became assistant superintendent, which office he has filled acceptably to the present time.

In politics Mr. Hayes is a Democrat.  He was a member of the Pawtucket town council in 1883 and 1885, and was one of the executive staff of Gov. John W. Davis in 1887 and 1889, with the rank of colonel.  He is a member of St. Mary's church, Pawtucket, of the Catholic Knights of America, the Knights of Columbus, and belongs to the Providence Athletic Association and the Pawtucket Business Men's Association.  In 1873 he was married to Catherine E., daughter of Daniel and Ann Creamer (Canty), and they have five children: Edward J., Margaret M., Catherine, Daniel and William.

p. 344 - 345.

HAYWARD, Fred Arthur, was born in Woonsocket, Feb. 16, 1859, and was the first child of Samuel H. and Avis Augusta (Arnold) Hayward.  On his mother's side he belongs to the well-known Arnold family of Woonsocket, and is of the tenth generation from William Arnold, one of Roger Williams's five companions in the original settlement of Providence.  His line of descent is William, the first settler, Thomas, Richard, Richard, Daniel, Uriah, Daniel, and Hanson, the maternal grandfather of Mr. Hayward.

Fred A. attended the public schools of his native town until he was 14 years of age, when he became a clerk in the office of William R. Cook, and worked for him and his successors, Carroll & Talbott, for five years.  At the end of this period, in July, 1878, he went to work as clerk in the freight department of the Providence and Worcester railroad at Pawtucket, and was promoted to be freight collector for Pawtucket, in which position he handled hundreds of thousands of dollars.  In 1881 he was appointed chief ticket clerk at the passenger station, and on the death of his uncle, Daniel R. Arnold, succeeded him as ticket agent at Pawtucket for the New York, Providence and Boston railroad.  This position he still holds for the present corporation.  Mr. Hayward is a Republican.  He belongs to the Barney Merry Lodge of Masons, of which from 1888 to the present time he has been secretary, and is a member of Pawtucket Royal Arch Chapter, Holy Sepulchre Commandery, and Providence Lodge of Perfection.  He was married in 1884 to Charlotte Emily, daughter of John A. Moore, of Providence, R. I.  They have two children, Avis Augusta, b. Dec. 1885; Fred A., b. Oct., 1888.

p. 345:

HODGES, Frank B., superintendent of the Dunnell Manufacturing Co., was born in Pawtucket in 1854.  He is the son of William and Harriot L. (Horton) Hodges, and spent his boyhood in Fall River and Newport, in which places he obtained his education in the public schools.  In 1876 he entered the Dunnell printworks with a determination to master the business.  He learned to be a machine printer, familiarized himself with the other departments, and in 1880 was installed as foreman of the printing department.  This position he filled with entire satisfaction until 1893 when he was appointed general superintendent of the works, and now has under his control 700 employees.

In politics Mr. Hodges is a Republican, and has served on the Pawtucket city committee, but has repeatedly declined public honors.

p. 345:

HOLLIDAY, William Merrick, the ninth child of John White and Martha (Heritage) Holliday, was born in Paris, Ky., Sept. 7, 1866.  He attended school in his native town, and when 14 years old went to work in his father's carriage factory.  He then was employed for some years on a stock farm, where he became familiar with horses and learned to be a very capable and efficient horse trainer.  Leaving this employment he went to Milwaukee in November, 1886, and had charge of a riding academy for a year.  In 1887 he came to Pawtucket, went to work for McNally Bros., 248 Main street, and was given charge of the department for the sale of horses.  September, 1890, he went to work for the Troy Steam Laundry, and in November, 1895, purchased a third interest in the business.  Much of the present success of the laundry is due to Mr. Holliday's energy.

p. 345 - 348:

HOOD, John P., senior member of the firm of J. N. Polsey & Co., box manufacturers, was born Feb. 7, 1851, in that part of Pawtucket which was then in Massachusetts, but has since become incorporated into Rhode Island. On his father's side he is of Scotch-Irish descent, his grandfather, Joseph Hood, having come to this country from County Down, Ulster, Ireland, in 1810, and settled at Pawtucket, where he remained until the day of his death.  Joseph Hood in early life was in the employment of Samuel Slater. He was a great Bible student and was among the earliest and most diligent of scholars who attended the Sunday school started by Samuel Slater, which was the first in the United States.  A few years later he married Anne Garzee, a descendant of one of the old colonial families.

The eldest child of this union was Joseph Garzee Hood, born in 1814.  He was a man of industry and perseverance, and gradually rose to be superintendent of the cotton mills in which he worked in Pawtucket.  To them seven children were born, of which number five still live.  The seventh and youngest of these children is John P. Hood.  Through the death of his father in very early life he was left dependent on his own resources for a living, and at the age of 12 years young Hood left the public schools of Central Falls to enter the spool works of R. & G. Cushman, now The Atwood, Crawford Co., where he worked six years.  After severing his connection there he engaged with the Conant Thread Co., now J. & P. Coats, (Limited).  With this company he remained for two years.  At the age of 20 he went into the box factory of J. N. Polsey & Co.  For the next six years he acted as bookkeeper of the firm and his services during that time was marked by such diligence and application to business that in 1877 he was admitted to partnership, the firm name remaining the same as before.  Through the efforts of Mr. Hood the business was greatly extended, and a large trade in small lock-corner boxes was secured throughout New Enlgand, the Middle, and Western states.

For ten years after his admission there was no change in the membership of the firm.  On the death of J. N. Polsey in 1887 Mr. Hood succeeded to the business and admitted his brother-in-law Lester I. Mathewson as a member of the firm.  The two gentlemen bought the entire interest of all concerned and became the sole owners under the former firm name of J. N. Polsey & Co., which they still remain.

The business, which is now in such a flourishing condition, was begun in a small way by Luther & Ashton, in a building that was located on the 'Old Fishing Rock', sometimes known as 'Shad Rock' - situated just below the granite bridge.  In late years this rock has been blasted away to a great extent, and on the spot where once the old box factory was now stands the large modern brick power station of the Pawtucket Electric Co.  Luther & Ashton were succeeded in 1857 by Jacob N. Polsey, who established the business on a successful foundation.

In 1872 the business demanded more room and the present commodious quarters were erected on Bayley street.  Here a railroad frontage and spur tracks were obtained which are of marked advantage, facilitating the handling of lumber to a great extent.  The main building is three stories high and 140 by 40 feet in dimensions.  In addition there are spacious sheds for the storage of lumber.  Since 1877 the business has rapidly grown and is no longer local as the firm supplies boxes of a certain nature in large quantitites to all of the large eastern cities and sends them as far west as Chicago and St. Louis.  In connection with the manufacturing plant, large saw mills are operated in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, where the firm owns extensive woodlands.  Several million feet of lumber are used annually. All the latest improved machinery is used in the factory and about 50 hands are employed.

Mr. Hood is a Republican in politics and though often solicited to run for office has always refused.  He is member of the First Baptist church and also one of the charter members of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association. In 1877 he was married to Vella Mathewson, the sister of his present partner, and they have four children one girl and three boys, the youngest, Arthur W., being nine years of age, and the oldest, John Laurence, eighteen, is now in college.

Mr. Hood occupies a handsome residence on Cottage street, which he had built to suit his own plans and convenience.  It is at his home that he spends most of his time when not engaged in the duties of his business, for he finds pleasure in his own family.  Mr. Hood is a straightforward business man, disliking publicity, but willing to do his share for the general welfare.  He is fond of travel and it is in this manner that he frequently spends much of his vacation, having journeyed extensively over the different sections of the United States and Europe.

illustration on page 346: photo, John P. Hood, of J. N. Polsey & Co., Box Manufacturers.

Photos, facing page: James H. Hay, Ring Traveller Manufacturer; Patrick E. Hayes, Assistant Superintendent, Union Wadding Co.; Fred A. Hayward, Ticket Agent, N. Y. N. H. R. R., Pawtucket; Frank B. Hodges, Superintendent, Dunnell Manufacturing Co.; Oren S. Horton, Superintendent of Street Lighting, 1892 - 95; Frederick A. Horton, Agent, Cumberland Mills.

p. 348:

HORTON, Frederick A., agent of the Cumberland Mills Co., was born in Central Falls, May 10, 1847, and is the oldest son of Darius and Mercy (Crowell) Horton.  For a number of generations the Hortons have been a numerous and active family in Swansea and Rehoboth, Mass.   Frederick's father and grandfather were natives of Swansea, and both were masons and contractors.  His mother's family, the Crowells, came originally from Yarmouth, Cape Cod.  Frederick went to the public schools in Central Falls until he was 16 years old, and then took a two years' course at Scholfield's Commercial College, Providence.

At the age of 18 he went to work in the grocery store of R. B. Averill, Central Falls, but only remained a short time.  From 1865 to 1870 he was bookkeeper for Wesson & Phillips, Providence, and held like positions with James Phillips from 1870 to 1875; with the American Steam Gauge Co., Boston, Mass., for four months, 1875 - 6; and with the Stafford Manufacturing Co., Central Falls, from 1876 to 1882.  While with the latter company he made a study of the manufacture of yarn and thread, obtained an excellent practical experience, and as a result was appointed superintendent of the extensive mills of the corporation at Central Falls in 1882.  This position he held until 1889, when he became agent for the Cumberland Mills Co., with which concern he has remained until the present.  Mr. Horton is a careful, conservative business man.  His years of experience in the various concerns he has been with has widened his outlook on affairs so that he is prepared for the emergencies that arise in manufacturing.  An account of these mills, which now stand on the site of one of the first cotton spinning mills in America, can be found on page 143.

In politics Mr. Horton is a Republican, but has never held office.  He is a member of the Jenks Lodge, No. 24, A. F. and A. M., Central Falls; Pawtucket Royal Arch Chapter; Pawtucket Council, R. and S. Masters; and Holy Sepulchre Commandery.  Jan. 18, 1871, he was married to Eunice C. Ide, of Pawtucket, but she died Feb. 1874, in child-birth, leaving a child, Eunice Ida, b. Feb. 6, 1874, who still survives.  Jan. 1, 1885, he was married in Central Falls to Sarah R. Ordway of Eliot, Me.

p. 348 - 349:

HORTON, Oren S., was born in Rehoboth, Mass., Sept. 5, 1823, and was the sixth child of Benjamin and Betsey (Bliss) Horton.  He attended the public schools until he was 15 years old, then worked at farming until 1851, when he came to Central Falls, secured a position with S. C. Peirce, manufacturer of confectionary, learned the business, and remained with him for eight years.  In 1861 in company with M. B. Arnold he purchased his employer's business and conducted it under the firm name of M. B. Arnold & Co. until 1890, when he disposed of his interest.

Mr. Horton was very active in political affairs and held many public offices.  He was a member of the town council of Pawtucket for eight years and served on the first board of aldermen when Pawtucket was incorporated as a city.  He was elected to the legislature in 1876 after one of the most exciting political contests in the history of Pawtucket, and it took three days to decide the election.   In 1892 he was elected superintendent of street lighting, which position he held until his death, Oct. 26, 1895. While filling this office he also conducted a real estate business, devoting his time chiefly to the management and settlement of intricate matters connected with large estates.  Mr. Horton was a life-long and active Republican.  Under the old volunteer regime he was for 18 years in the fire department and took an active part in the organization of the Pawtucket Veteran Firemen's Association.  Sept. 5, 1843, he was married to Lydia S. Green of South Kingston, R. I., by which union there are four children: Harriet E., George P., Frederick R., and Arthur P.

p. 349:

HORTON, Otis H., son of Otis M. and Caroline Elizabeth (Spicer) Horton, was born at Stafford Springs, Conn., in 1843. The Hortons have resided in Southern Massachusetts and Rhode Island for several generations, and trace their descent to one of the early English immigrants who landed in New England soon after the time of the first settlement of Plymouth.  The father of Otis H. was born in Rehoboth, was a farmer originally, but learned to be a mason and removed to Griswold, Conn., where he engaged in the building business.  Otis spent his boyhood in Jewett City, Conn., and received his schooling there.  At the age of 12 he entered the Slater Cotton Manufacturing Co. at Jewett City.  He became an expert spinner and worked in those mills until he was 17, when he enlisted in Co. H, 5th Connecticut, and went to the war.  He was in the army of the Potomac and saw active service in many important battles, including Winchester, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Second Bull Run, Cedar Mountain, Antietam, Lookout Mountain and many others.  He was in Sherman's march to the sea, was in North Carolina when Gen. Lee surrendered, and took part in the triumphant march northward to Washington.  Although serving all through the war he never was in hospital or of duty for a day.

After the war he returned home, and until 1881 was overseer of spinning in the mills at Jewett City.  In 1882 he became overseer in the Grinnell mills, New Bedford.  In 1890 he came to Pawtucket and became overseer of the ring spinning department of the Slater Cotton Co., which position he has since held.  He has over 125 hands under his control and is responsible for the department.  He belongs to the Knights of Pythias.  He was married in 1872 to Cynthia M. Rathbun of Jewett City, Conn., by which union there have been two children:  Charles O., b. in Jewett City, d. July, 1879; Eva M., b. in New Bedford, Mass., now living.

p. 349 - 350:

HOWE, Dr. George J., of Central Falls, is of English ancestry, and is the son of George Howe and Margaret (Conway) Howe.  His parents came to Providence in 1865.  His father is a mechanic and inventor and lives in Providence.  George J. was born in Providence, Dec. 22, 1868, and is the fifth child and the first son.  He received his education in the public schools of Providence and at LaSalle Academy, from which he graduated when 19 years of age.  He determined to become a physician, and studied in the office of Dr. S. S. Burton, one of the leading physicians of Providence, for one year, when he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore.  His aim was to become a thoroughly good physician, skilled in all branches of the profession.  He was graduated from college in 1892 and at once opened an office in Central Falls, at No. 15 Central street.  Here he built up a large and lucrative practice.  In 1894 he moved into a larger office at the corner of Central and High streets, Central Falls.  Dr. Howe is a skilled surgeon as well as physician.  He is a member of the Rhode Island Medical Society, the Providence Medical Association, and the Pawtucket Medical Assocation.  He is also a member of Pocasset Tribe, Red Men, Central Falls.

p. 349 - 350:

HUGHES, Thomas F., son of Thomas and Mary (Farrell) Hughes, was born at Blackstone, Mass., in 1855.  His father came from Ireland in 1846, settled at Blackstone and lived there until his death.  Thomas F. attended school until he was 10 years old, when he went to work in the mill at Blackstone. In Sept., 1867, the family moved to Albion, R. I., where he lived for four years.  The he came to Valley Falls and worked a short time in the mills at Valley Falls and Lonsdale, when he left the mill and learned to be a barber. After working four years at this trade he started a dry goods, boot, shoe, and millinery store at Valley Falls, on Broad street.  By strict attention to business he disposed of his stock and opened a grocery store on the corner of Broad and Titus streets, where he continued until the fall of 1895, when the increase of trade demanded more suitable quarters, which he secured by building a new block with quarters for his business on the ground floor and tenements in the upper stories. The business is now very extensive and prosperous and Mr. Hughes has accumulated by its means considerable property.  He is a Democrat in politics, and has held many offices having served on the school committee for three years, was town auditor for three years, and also represented the town of Cumberland in the General Assembly.  He is a member of the Foresters, also a member of the Catholic Knights of America, and was president of Kane Branch, No. 472, for seven years consecutively.  He belongs to St. Patrick's Catholic church, Valley Falls.  In 1877 he was married to Harriet Carey of Valley Falls.

p. 350:

HUMES, Albert H., was born in Pawtucket, Jan. 29, 1864, and received his education in the public schools of his native town and at Scholfield's Commercial College, Providence.  At the age of 17 he became a student in the office of William R. Walker & Son, architects, Providence, and remained there seven years.  In the summer of 1888 he opened an office as an architect in Central Falls, but in the winter of 1894 he removed to Music Hall building, Pawtucket, where he has since remained.  Among some of the buildings designed by him may be mentioned:  Garfield street schoolhouse, Kendall street fire station, Mrs. Sarah J. Durfee's residence, Benjamin F. G. Linnell's residence, and Alanson P. Wood's residence, Central Falls; Hon. Lucius B. Darling's summer residence, Chatham, Mass.; the residences of Dr. J. B. Jerauld and A. T. Parker, North Attleboro, Mass.; the residences of John P. Hood, Lester I. Mathewson, Walter H. Stearns, and Lucius B. Darling, Jr., Pawtucket; and the summer houses of James R. MacColl, Charles E. Pervear and Arthur B. Mann, Shawomet Beach, R. I.

Mr. Humes is a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association.  He belongs to the Jenks Lodge, No. 24, A. F. and A. M.; Pawtucket Council, Royal and Select Masters, No. 2; Pawtucket Royal Arch Chapter, No. 4; and Holy Sepulchre Commandery, No. 8.  He was married to Jennie Baird Russell, Dec. 15, 1889, at Saylesville, R. I.

p. 350 - 351:

HUNT, Daniel A., was born at Hunt's Mills, Seekonk (now East Providence), Nov. 12, 1839, and was the second child of Daniel Ide and Nancy Waterman (Winsor) Hunt.  On his mother's side he is descended from Roger Williams. The Hunt family is descended from Peter Hunt, one of the first settlers of Rehoboth.  The father of Daniel A. started a cotton mill at Hunt's Mills on the Ten Mile river in 1822, and at this place which had been founded by the family, there in 1836, besides the cotton factory, a grist mill and a fulling mill.  Daniel A. attended the Seekonk schools, and when his parents moved to Warren he attended the high school there, from which he was graduated with honors.  He then entered the employ of the Providence Tool Co. as a boy in the packing room, and was successively promoted until he reached the position of agent, which he held until 1882, when he was chosen agent of the W. H. Haskell Co. at Pawtucket.  He has since been the outside man of that company, employing 120 men.  The output under his management has increased largely and the concern has prospered.  Mr. Hunt is a stockholder in the company.  He belongs to St. John's Lodge of Masons, the West Side Club, the Athletic Association, and the Light Infantry Veterans, all of Providence.  In 1865 he was married to Annie Evans, daughter of Duty Evans. The issue of the union were:  Daniel A., Jr., who was recently drowned; Herbert Evans, Alice Winsor Irving, Owen, and Stephen Foster.

illustrations on facing page: photo, Richard Harrison, President and Treasurer, Harrison Yarn & Dyeing Co. photo, Ruel S. Darling, Retail Marketman.

p. 352:

JACKSON, David, was born in Lancashire, England, March 2, 1847, and was the fourth child of Robert and Elizabeth (Beaumont) Jackson.  His parents came to America in 1855 and settled in Woonsocket, where David alternately worked in a mill and attended the public schools until he was 10 years of age. When he was 18 he entered the machine shop of the Harris Woolen Co., of Woonsocket, as an apprentice.  Having served his time he secured employment in the shop of James S. Brown of Pawtucket, where he worked until he obtained a better position with the Fales & Jenks Machine Co.  In 1887 he left that concern to organize a company for the manufacture of shell rolls under his patents for spinning machinery, etc.  The business was incorporated under the name of The Jackson Patent Shell Roll Co., with David Jackson as president and manager.

The advantage of this device over the old rolls used for spinning became apparent at once, and created a demand for the shell rolls in every mill in the country.  They can be adjusted to all kinds of spinning frames, and they greatly facilitate the work besides cheapening the cost and improving the quality of the product.  Besides this Mr. Jackson has brought out many other patents.  His improved lubricators for shafting, speeder spindles and pulleys, are largely used.  To his production he has added many small tools, the manufacture of which his company is now engaged in.  The Jackson Patent Shell Roll Co. is the only establishment in this country engaged in this line of work.

The industry was started in the Cole Bros. machine shop, in a room 12 by 12. After going through all the trials incident to placing a new device on the market the increase of the business made a removal necessary and the present shops on Bagley street, in the rear of Mineral Spring avenue, were engaged.

Mr. Jackson is a Republican.  He is a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, and a prominent mason.  He attends the Baptist church.  June 15, 1871, he was married to Clara M. Bucklin of Pawtucket, by which union there is one child, Lucy Wilbur.

p. 352 - 353:

JENKS, Charles H., son of Alfred B. and Hannah (Jackson) Jenks, was born in Pawtucket, Jan. 13, 1857, and is a descendant in the eighth generation from the first settler of Pawtucket.  His ancestors in the successive generations were:  Joseph Jenks, Jr., Major Nathaniel, Nathaniel, Jr., Icabod, Levi, Levi, and Alfred.  Charles attended the public schools until he was 15 years old, when he went to work for the R. Bliss Manufacturing Co., where he learned the business and is now head of the company's finishing department.

In politics he is a Republican.  He was a member of the city council in 1894-5 and was reelected for the terms of 1896-7.  He belongs to Union Lodge, A. F. and A. M., the Knights of Honor, and the Royal Arcanum.  He is a member of St. Paul's Episcopal church.  In 1876 he was married to Susie E. Baker of Central Falls, daughter of Nathaniel C. and Susan M. Armington.  By this union there are three children:  Gertrude A., b. March 10, 1881; Anna May, b. Sept. 10, 1877; Henry Irving, b. Oct. 1, 1887.  He resides at the Jenks homestead, 15 Star street.


JENKS, Frank R., M. D., the fourth child of William H. and Ruth A. (Alexander) Jenks, was born in Pawtucket, April 23, 1865, and is descended in the seventh generation from Major Nathaniel Jenks, the second son of the first settler of Pawtucket.  He obtained his education in the Pawtucket public schools and when 19 years old entered Brown University, where he studied two years.  He finished his education at the New York Homeopathic Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1891.  He then returned to Pawtucket and began the practice of his profession.  In 1894 he was elected city physician, health officer, and police surgeon, which positions he now holds.  Dr. Jenks also holds a certificate enabling him to practice medicine in NewYork state, one of the most rigid states in the Union regarding medical matters, but he has always preferred to practice in his native state.

He is a Republican, is a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, a Free Mason, and is also a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy, the Hahnemannian Society of New York and the Pawtucket Medical Society. June 14, 1894, he was married to Annie L. Thayer of Pawtucket, by whom he has one child, Richmond Thayer Jenks, born Oct. 16, 1895.

p. 353 - 356:

JENKS, Henry F., inventor and manufacturer, was born in Pawtucket, May 12, 1837, and is a descendant in the seventh generation from Joseph Jenks, Jr., the first settler of Pawtucket, and in the sixth generation from Governor Joseph Jenks.  His ancestors in the succeeding generations were Capt. Nathaniel, John, George, and William T. Jenks.  His grandfather, George Jenks, was born in Providence, Nov. 26, 1757, and his father, William T. Jenks, was born in Pawtucket, Sept. 15, 1795.  His mother, Patience Hall, was a native of Harwich, Mass.

Henry obtained his education in the public schools.  His mechanical education was begun in Pawtucket.  As he became familiar with the use of tools and the construction of machinery, his inventive ability began to show itself in several minor improvements which he made to facilitate the work he had in hand.  Not being satisfied with the progress he was making in Pawtucket, he went to Providence and was employed at the Hope Iron Works in the construction of engraving machinery.  At this time the war cloud of the rebellion began to appear, the southern states were seceding, and the demand for these machines ceased.  He then went into the employ of William T. Nicholson (founder of the Nicholson File Co.) in Providence, who was then manufacturing gun machinery.  Here he remained until 1866, with the exception of a few months' absence in the army.  Upon his return from the army he took a contract from Mr. Nicholson for the manufacturing of gun trimmings.  In 1865 he invented and secured a patent on the well-known Jenks window spring.  Later a shop was started for their manufacture at Pawtucket. At the close of the war, owing to the cessation of the demand for arms, Mr. Jenks returned to the Hope Iron Works as department superintendent.  This establishment was then largely engaged in the construction of ship windlasses, steam engines, and general machinery.  During this time he had acquired a broad experience which developed that inventive genius, inherited from his ancestors, that has since enabled him to furnish many valuable devices and mechanical contrivances calculated to reduce manual labor and materially add to the general comfort of humanity.  In 1869 Mr. Jenks took charge of the Pawtucket shop and added his new inventions as they were perfected.  In the manufacture of these he is engaged at the present time. A number of them are in use, not only in this country, but also in England, Germany, Denmark, Australia and Switzerland.  Among his specialties are street drinking fountains of different styles, of his own design.

Mr. Jenks became a member of the Pawtucket Light Guard soon after the formation of that company and filled the position of corporal and sergeant. He served in the rebellion as captain of Co. H, 9th R. I. V., and was later promoted to be major and lieutenant-colonel in the Pawtucket Light Guard Battalion.  In May, 1881, he was appointed Provost Marshal on the staff of the brigade of the Rhode Island Militia, by Governor Alfred H. Littlefield, with the rank of captain.  He is a charter member of Tower Post, No. 17, G. A. R., and has occupied different positions in that organization - from Officer of the Day to Department Commander.  He has been a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association from its formation.  He was a representative from Pawtucket to the General Assembly in 1890 and 1891.

Mr. Jenks was always deeply interested in the progress of Pawtucket. Through his efforts the illuminated dial clock was placed on the Miller building in Main street square, modern drinking fountains were placed in convenient places about the city, and with him originated the idea and plans for celebrating the one hundredth anniversary of the successful introduction of cotton spinning in America by Samuel Slater, which occurred in 1890.  He also designed an appropriate monument to commemorate this anniversary.  It is to be regretted that this monument or some other was not erected during the celebration.

Dec. 12, 1871, Mr. Jenks was married to Mary J. Cleveland, adopted daughter of Dr. Hiram Cleveland of Pawtucket.  They have three children:  Hiram, b. Aug. 21, 1874; Charles Francis, b. Aug. 17, 1878; and Dorothy, b. May 30, 1882.

illustration on page 354: photo, Henry F. Jenks, Artificer in Iron.

illustrations on facing page: photos, Whitman Bates, Merchant; Frederick Bates, Retired Merchant and Manufacturer; Allen F. Bray, Founder of the Firm of A. F. & F. Bray; Ferdinand Bray, of A. F. & F. Bray, Hardware Dealers.

p. 356 - 357:

JENKS, James L., the son of John A. and Martha (Conner) Jenks, was born in Valley Falls, in what was then the old town of Smithfield, April 15, 1858, and is a descendant in the seventh generation  from Joseph Jenks, Jr., the first settler of Pawtucket, and in the sixth generation from Governor Joseph Jenks.  His line of descent in succeeding generations from father to son is: Captain Nathaniel, Joseph, Ephraim, Hosea, and John A.

His mother was born in the North of Ireland, near the city of Belfast in 1832, and came to this country with her mother about they year 1848; she came of old Scotch Coventanter stock, her mother Janet Baird coming from the lowlands of Scotland, while her father was a native of the Scottish highlands.  Both mother and grandmother were persons of more than usual mental vigor, being wide readers and possessed of unusually retentive memories.

James L. attended the public schools of Valley Falls and the Lonsdale high school, and was graduated from the Pawtucket high school in the class of 1879.  In 1880 he entered Brown University, graduating therefrom in the year 1884 with the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy.

After studying law in the office of Nathan W. Littlefield, Esq., he was admitted to practice in February, 1887.  He at once opened an office in Pawtucket and soon developed an excellent general practice.  In politics Mr. Jenks is a Republican but not a radical.

For several years he served as coroner of Pawtucket, and he represented the city in the General Assembly for two years, 1892 and 1893.  He was elected city solicitor in February, 1896.  Mr. Jenks has been for many years and still is secretary of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, and is a member and treasurer of the Pleasant View Baptist church.  He is also a member of Chickering Lodge, Knights of Pythias.  In March, 1891, he was married to May, daughter of Rev. Edwin Bromley, of the Stewart Street Baptist church, Providence.

p. 357:

JENKS, Pardon, was born in Pawtucket in 1843, died April 4, 1892, and was buried in the Mineral Spring cemetery.  He was the son of Pardon Jenks, who died in1878, the grandson of 'Uncle' Pardon, who died in 1861, and was descended in the seventh generation from Joseph Jenks, Jr., the first settler of Pawtucket, through his second son Major Nathaniel Jenks.  He received his education in the public and private schools of Pawtucket and then became interested in business with his father, at whose death he inherited one-fifth of the 'New Mill' estate on Main street, at the west end of the bridge.  This estate is a part of the original sixty acres first bought by Joseph Jenks, Jr., in 1671, and had been in this branch of the family from the death of the first settler.  The residence of 'Uncle' Pardon Jenks stood on the river bank a short distance below the bridge, a little north of the present location of the power house, and was in existence within the memory of the persons now living.

Pardon Jenks like many of his ancestors spent his life in Pawtucket.  He was a quiet and industrious citizen.  During the war of the rebellion he went to the front with the 11th Rhode Island Regiment.  He was a Democrat and represented Pawtucket in the General Assembly several terms.  Below the falls has from the earliest times been a famous place for fishing, and Mr. Jenks was an enthusiastic devotee of the sport to be found there.  He could frequently be seen in the seasons, net or line in hand, fishing from the old 'Fishing Rock'.  He was married in October, 1868, to Eliza J. Curran.  Four children were born to them - three daughters and a son.  Three died in childhood, and one daughter survives, Ida L., the wife of Thomas E. Berry.

p. 357:

JENKINSON, John, the son of John and Abigail (Oldfield) Jenkinson, was born in Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England, Dec. 7, 1870.  His parents came to this country from England in 1872 and settled in Pawtucket.  He attended the Pawtucket public schools until he was fourteen years old when he went to work for the Pawtucket Steam & Gas Pipe Co., where he remained five years. For one year he had charge of the core-making department of the Rhode Island Locomotive Works, and then was foreman of the Providence Brass Foundry, which position he held until March 1, 1894, when he bought out the brass foundry department of the Pawtucket Steam & Gas Pipe Co.  Mr. Jenkinson's foundry is on Jenks lane.  He makes all kinds of light and heavy brass castings, does work for all the large factories, and employs several men. He attends Park Place Congregational church.  Dec. 5, 1894, he was married to Grace L. Fuller, and they have one child, Nettie G., b. Oct. 3, 1895.

p. 357:

JILLSON, Oscar A., was born in Attleboro, Mass., July 25, 1852, and is the second child of Albert C. and Clementine (Miller) Jillson.  He attended the public schools of his native town until he was 14 years old, then went to the Woonsocket high school and completed his education at Scholfield's Commercial College, Providence.  His first occupation was as clerk for James Orr of South Attleboro, with whom he remained six years.  Then he engaged in the tripe and tallow business with Frank E. Shaw for one year, at the end of which time he bought Mr. Shaw out and continued the business alone for six years.  In 1881 he joined Robert Bellew in the Star Tanning Co., and has since continued a partner in that enterprise.  The business was successful from the first and is continually increasing.

Mr. Jillson is a Republican.  He is an attendant of the Baptist church, a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, a Free Mason and an Odd Fellow.  April 30, 1884, he was married to Almeta J. Pearce, by which union there were two children, both of whom died in infancy.

p. 357 - 358:

JONES, George W., son of Raymond Tyson and Charity Freeman (Noe) Jones, was born at West New Brighton, N. Y., Jan. 2, 1853.  He obtained his education in public and private schools until he was sixteen years old.  He then entered the employ of the New York Dyeing and Printing establishment as a clerk and overseer, and remained until 1883 when he came to Pawtucket to take charge of the finishing department of the Glenlyon Dye Works at Saylesville, which position he now occupies.  Mr. Jones is a Republican.  He is a member of the Royal Society of Good Fellows.  He attends the Congregational church.  Dec. 10, 1880, he was married to Harriette Robinson MacIlvaine of Brooklyn, N. Y., and by this union there were four children: Florence Robinson, b. Feb. 23, 1882; Evelyn Lawrence, b. Feb. 17, 1886; Edward Raymond, b. Dec. 1, 1888, d. Jan. 5, 1889; Madeleine Willoughby, b. July 30, 1890.

Mr. Jones's family originated in Scotland and Wales, and the founder came to America in 1691.  His grandfather, Peter Jones, was b. at Port Richmond, N. Y., Feb. 9, 1747, and d. Nov. 4, 1832, at West New Brighton.  His grandmother, Mary Anne Houseman, was b. in Graniteville, N. Y., June 18, 1753, d. Dec. 5, 1828, at Port Richmond.  His father was b. Oct. 4, 1823, at West New Brighton, and his mother May30, 1830, at Woodbridge, New Jersey, and to them came nine children, all born in the same house, at West New Brighton.  Capt. Jacob Jones, commander of the 'Wasp', in the war of 1812, was one of his ancestors.  His wife is the daughter of Edward Robinson and Maria B. (Lawrence) MacIlvaine, and is a descendant of Capt. Lawrence, commander of the frigates 'Hornet' and 'Chesapeake'.  The family dates back to William the Conqueror.

p. 358:

JUDSON, John Edwin, the oldest child of John Barnett and Isadora Charlotte (Merwin) Judson, was born in New Haven, Conn., June 22, 1866.  He was educated at Hillhouse school, New Haven, and at Yale University, from which he was graduated in 1885.  Having prepared himself for the profession of civil engineer he was employed for two years as division engineer on the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad.  In 1887 he came to Pawtucket and commenced engineering business.  He now conducts the largest engineering and surveying business in Pawtucket and one of the largest in Rhode Island.  Mr. Judson is a member of St. Paul's Episcopal church.  He belongs to the Pawtucket Business Men's Association.  He is also a member of the Rhode Island Society of the Sons of the American Revolution.

Dec. 1, 1892, he was married to Minnie Holmes at Valley Falls, and they have one child, Helen Holmes Judson, b. in Pawtucket, Nov. 30, 1893.  Mr. Judson's first American ancestor was a native of Yorkshire, England, and came to this country in 1634.

p. 358:

KEENE, William Faitoute, city engineer of Central Falls, son of Samuel S. and Ella (Faitoute) Keene, was born in Newark, N. J., Sept. 15, 1870.  The Keene family have resided in this country for several generations.  His father was a broker on the New York Stock Exchange.  William F. received his schooling in private schools at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and Washington, Conn. He then took a four years' course in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, from which he was graduated in 1891, when he became first assistant engineer of the Interstate Street railway, between Pawtucket and North Attleboro, and remained in this position until after the completion of the road.  He then, in 1893, was engaged as assistant engineer of the town of Lincoln, and in Jan., 1894, was chosen town engineer.  When Central Falls was incorporated he was elected city engineer, which position he still retains.  He designed and built the sewer system and has carried out many other improvements.  As a civil engineer he is capable and trustworthy.  He is an associate member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, belongs to the Boston Society of Civil Engineers, the Knights of the Ancient Essenic Order, is a Free Mason, and in religion is an Episcopalian.  Feb., 1896, he was married to Lizzie Florence, the only daughter of the Hon. F. F. Olney of Providence.

p. 358 - 360:

KENDALL, Robert A., the son of H. Augustus and Rebecca Frances (Abell) Kendall, was born Oct. 7, 1849, in Pawtucket, Mass.  He traces his descent to Francis Kendall who was born in England, but came to this country about 1640, locating in Charlestown village, now Woburn, Mass.  His grandfather, Noah Kendall, was born April 11, 1775, at Templeton, Mass.  His father was also born in Templeton, April 10, 1820, was for many years the landlord of the Mechanics hotel, Pawtucket, Mass.  Robert attended the public schools of his native city and also Scholfield's Commercial College, Providence, from which he was graduated as a bookkeeper.  He has been engaged in various business enterprises and occupations, has been a bookkeeper, a clerk in a clothing store, and now conducts a restaurant and a cigar and tobacco store at 221 Main street, Pawtucket.  He is a member of the Charles E. Chickering Lodge, No. 20, K. of P., and Union Division No. 4, Uniform Rank, K. of P. He was married to Emma Frances Stevens of Providence.

illustrations on facing page (page 359): David Jackson, President, The Jackson Patent Shell Roll Co.; Walter H. Jackson, Treasurer, The Jackson Patent Shell Roll Co.; William F. Herrmann, Merchant Tailor; John Jenkinson, Brass Founder; Charles H. Jenks, Overseer Finishing Department, R. Bliss Mfg. Co.; Frank R. Jenks, M. D., City Physician.

p. 360 - 362:

KENT, George Warren, was born in Lonsdale, R. I., Oct. 5, 1844, and was the first child of Louis and Lydia (French) Kent.  He attended the public schools of Pawtucket and Providence until he was 17 years old, when he enlisted under the call for nine months' service in the 11th Rhode Island Volunteers.  Upon his return from the the front he completed his education at the Bryant & Stratton Business College, Providence.  His first occupation was in connection with western railroads.  In 1865 he, in partnership with his uncle, Horace Kent, opened a wholesale and retail grain and flour store in Central Falls, but soon after he disposed of his interest and went to Europe.  He returned to Pawtucket in 1867, and opened an office for the transaction of a commission business in western flour and grain.  His business steadily increased, and in 1875 he built a warehouse, rear of Odd Fellows building, Main street.  In 1894 the business was incorporated under the name of the Narragansett Milling Co., with an elevator and mills on Valley street, East Providence - the business having grown to such proportions as to warrant the removal of the headquarters to East Providence.  Owing to a continued increase of business the Pawtucket establishment is to be removed to Waverly place, where the company will have its own track for shipping purpose.  Mr. Kent was elected treasurer and general manager of the company, which position he now holds.  The company's equipment, both in machinery and facilities for handling grain, is superior to any in Rhode Island.  Its output of mill products is equal to if not larger than any other milling company in New England, and its success is largely due to the intelligence and executive ability of Mr. Kent.

In politics Mr. Kent is a Republican.  He attends the Congregational church. In 1870 he was married to Lydia E. Fairbanks of Central Falls, by which union there were five children:  Warren C., b. July 11, 1871; Archer L., b. Oct. 13, 1873; Revere W., b. Oct. 31, 1876; Ruth J., b. Feb. 10, 1880; and Helen E., b. April 28, 1884.  Warren C., d. May 27, 1872.

The first record of the Kent family occurs in the account of the settlement of Ipswich, Mass., in 1635.  Although a complete genealogical record of the male line of descent has not been secured, there is reason to believe that George W. is of the ninth generation  in America.  Six generations of the branch that settled in Rehoboth, Mass., can be traced, the first being John B., who d. Nov. 1, 1780; Elijah, his son, b. in 1727, d. in 1815; Remember, b. 1754, d. 1822; Seba, the grandfather of George W., b. Nov. 12, 1784, was a part owner in one of the first cotton mills in New England, at Kent's Mills, now in the limits of Pawtucket.  Seba married Nabby Ide of Rehoboth, who died in Sept., 1880.  He lived to be 76 years of age, and died in Pawtucket, R.I., May 20, 1860.  Louis Kent, the father of George W., was an extensive railroad contractor, building sections of some of the most important roads in the West.  He was born in Rehoboth, Mass., Dec. 7, 1816, and married Lydia French.  Mr. Kent's house, at 466 Benefit street, is built on ground which has been in the family for five generations.

illustration on page 360: photo, George W. Kent, General Manager Narragasett Milling Co.

illustrations on facing page (page 361): photos, Pardon Jenks, grandson of 'Uncle' Pardon Jenks; J. Edwin Judson, Civil Engineer; William F. Keene, City Engineer, Central Falls; Robert A. Kendall; Charles F. Kinney, of the Troy Steam Laundry; Henry Krahl, of Henry Krahl & Co., Opera House Cafe.

p. 362:

KENYON, John J., was born in Lancashire, England, Nov. 25, 1836, and was the second child of Thomas and Sarah (Hill) Kenyon.  At the age of eight he went to work as a tier boy to block printers, but attended school as a 'half-timer' meanwhile until he was 14.  He was then apprenticed to Walker & Son of Manchester, with whom he learned the manufacture and finishing of cloth in all branches, including spinning, weaving, bleaching, dyeing and printing.  Thus equipped he came to the United States in 1859, and secured employment in the old Pemberton Mill, Lawrence, Mass., where he narrowly escaped death by the collapse of the building, in 1860, a disaster which caused great loss of life and attracted wide-spread attention.

He then went to Philadelphia and remained until the outbreak of the civil war, when he returned to England, and stayed there until 1863, when he came back to this country and located at Pawtucket.  With his father he engaged in the manufacture of tapes and braids in the old Greene mill at 56 East avenue, the name of the firm being Thomas Kenyon & Son.  Upon the death of his father he operated the industry under his own name.  The business increased rapidly and extended to such proportions that the old mill could not accommodate it, and shops in four different buildings were operated eventually.  Under these circumstances it became difficult for Mr. Kenyon to give the various departments the personal supervision necessary, and in 1895 he erected at Darlington a four story factory, 300 feet long by 50 feet wide, completely equipped with machinery for the manufacture of tapes, braids, boot, shoe and corset lacings, shoe webs, stay bindings, glazed yarns, tying-up-twines, etc.  The business is now conducted under the name of the John J. Kenyon Manufacturing Co.

Mr. Kenyon is a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Improved Order of Red Men and the Order of Alfredians.  He was married about 1855 to Sarah Olive, who died fifteen months later, leaving one child, James.  He remained a widower until Sept. 27, 1864, when he was married to Mary Nickerson of Philadelphia, Pa., by which union there are four children:  Robert A., John F., Mary and Elizabeth.  The sons are interested in the business.  James is superintendent, Robert A. is vice-president and John F. is secretary.

p. 362:

KINNEY, Charles F., was born at Mattapoisett, Mass., July 8, 1862, and went to school there until he was 15 years old, when he started to work in a box mill at Mattapoisett, and then worked in a coffin trimming shop in Attleboro.  He then went back to his native town and engaged in the grocery business for four years, but in 1888 came to Pawtucket and went to work in the Troy Steam Laundry.  In 1890 he bought out Mr. Smith, the senior partner of the firm of L. C. Smith & Co., and the business was continued under the name of Merithew & Kinney.  Two years later Mr. Kinney bought out his partner's interest and continued the laundry alone until Nov., 1895, when he took in James H. Wilber and William M. Holliday as partners.  The business has been uniformly prosperous and has increased from $150 to $400 a week. Mr. Kinney was married to Emma Kay in October, 1893, and they have one child, Charles Stanley, b. in May, 1895.  Mr. Kinney's father was a sea captain and sailed from Mattapoisett.

p. 362 - 364:

KINSMAN, Addison, was born in Heath, Mass., in 1811, and died at Lonsdale, May 5, 1893.  He was descended from an old New England family, the founder of which settled in the Old Colony soon after the founding of Plymouth.  In his young manhood he carried on a farm.  For many years he filled the position of station agent at Lonsdale.  In the latter years of his life he conducted a farm at Lonsdale, adjoining the Dexter estate.  He was a Republican in politics and was a member of Christ's Episcopal church, Lonsdale.  In 1861 he was married to Sarah Ann, daughter of Timothy W. Dexter of Cumberland, R. I.  Mrs. Kinsman is a descendant in the sixth generation from the Rev. Gregory Dexter, one of the early settlers and proprietors of Providence, who was the fourth pastor of the First Bapist church there.  Her line of descent is Rev. Gregory, John, James, James, and Timothy W.  She was born in Cumberland, R. I., in 1814, on her father's farm, which was near the coal mine, and was the youngest of the family.  The other children were James M., Benjamin G., and Eseck W.

illustration on page 364: photo, Addison Kinsman, Station Agent at Lonsdale for many years.

illustrations on facing page (page 363): photos, James B. Berry, undertaker; Frank Bishop, Bookkeeper, Slater Cotton Co.; Hermenegilde Fontaine, Alderman, Central Falls; George F. Everett, Blacksmith and Carriage Maker; Otis H. Horton, Overseer Frame Spinning, Slater Cotton Co.; Thomas F. Hughes, Grocer, Valley Falls.

p. 364 - 365:

KINYON, Myron T., fourth child of Gardner J. and Grace (Collins) Kinyon, was born in Smyrna, Ghenango county, New York, Dec. 3, 1830.  His father, Gardner J. Kinyon, was a native of Rhode Island, where his ancestors settled early in its history, but when a small boy at the death of his father he went to live with Rev. Mr. Knight, a Congregational minister, in Chenango country, New York.  He married the eldest daughter of Joseph Collins, a woolen manufacturer who had settled at Smyrna, having moved from Connecticut.  Myron T. spent his early boyhood upon his father's farm, attending school from three to four months in the winter of each year.  At the age of 17 he went to Norwich, N. Y., and attended two terms at the academy of that place; after that he spent about three years in the Delaware Literary Insitutue at Franklin, N. Y.  His eyesight troubling him, he left school for a few months' travel, but the death of his father made it necessary for him to turn his attention to business.  Leaving his native town he went to Williamsport, Pa., and engaged as a bookkeeper in a lumber firm; after that as partner in another large lumber establishment in an adjoining county.

In 1863 he was married to Miss Mary A. Adams, daughter of the late Enoch and Phebe Adams of Pawtucket.  They have two children, Nettie D. Kinyon and William Harry Kinyon, both living in Pawtucket.  In 1866 Mr. Kinyon sold out his interests in Pennsylvania and moved to the state of Kansas, locating at Albany, Nerneha county, where he engaged in real estate and mercantile business.  Family interests, however, made it expedient, after a stay of about five years, for him to return east, and he again located at Williamsport, Pa.  In 1879, at the death of Mrs. Enoch Adams and the failure of Mr. Adams's health, Mr. Kinyon moved his family to Pawtucket and took charge of the Adams estate and the care of Mr. Adams.  In 1889, after the death of Mr. Adams, Mr. Kinyon erected the large three-story brick building which stands at the junction of Broad and North Union streets in Pawtucket, known as Kinyon block.  He is a charter member of the Park Place church and for ten years or more was assistant superintendent of its Bible school; is a member of the Pawtucket  Young Men's Christian Association, and of the Congregational Club of Providence, but not otherwise connected with social or fraternal organizations.

illustration on page 364: photo, Myron T. Kinyon, Proprietor Kinyon Block.

p. 365:

KRAHL, Henry, the fifth child of Max and Johanna (Schwart) Krahl, was born March 24, 1864, in Spremberg, Germany.  He attended school until his 14th year, when he went to Berlin and worked in a hotel.  In 1883 he landed in America, coming direct to Pawtucket, where he immediately found employment in the Benedict House, and where he remained until 1894, when he joined with Hans Lang in purchasing the catering business from Frans Donath, and they opened and have since operated the Opera House Cafe, 14 Broad street.  Mr. Krahl is a member of Theodore Koerner Lodge, D. O. H.  His father has been postman at Spremberg for 50 years.

p. 365:

LADD, Loren Gilbert, commissioner of public works, Pawtucket, was born Canaan, Vt., where he attended the district school, and then went to the academy in Barnston, P. Q., Canada.  For four years he managed a farm, when he went to California and thence to Nevada, where he engaged in the milk business.  In 1866 he came to Pawtucket as superintendent of the coal and lumber yards of Smith Grant & Co., where he remained until 1889.  The slow and irksome methods of unloading coal from the barges then in use he overcame and simplified by inventing a steam coal shovel, known as the Newell-Ladd coal shovel.  Believing that this shovel was susceptible of improvement he devoted his time to perfecting what is known as the Ladd coal shovel, which is now in general use.  In 1890 he was elected highway commissioner and his management was so satisfactory that he was elected for the three succeeding years.  In 1894 when the Board of Public Works was created he was elected commissioner for three years.

In politics he is a Republican.  He is a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association and attends the First Baptist church.  Dec. 18, 1861, he was married to Victoria M. Baldwin of Barnston, P. Q., by which union there is one child, Albert Loren, b. Dec. 17, 1863.  Mr. Ladd's father was b. in Plainfield, N. H., in 1800, and was engaged in farming and the practice of medicine.  His mother was Eleanor Starkweather, and was b. in Vernon, Vt., in 1808.

p. 365:

LANE, Dr. Edward M., physician and surgeon at 84 High street, Pawtucket, the son of Henry and Emma S. (Webster) Lane, was born Jan. 7, 1867, in Dexter, Michigan.  His father who was born at Stony, Straffordshire, England, in 1884, came to this country with his parents in 1846.  Until his 18th year Edward attended school at St. Thomas, Toronto, Canada, when he entered Bellevue Hospital Medical College, and attended Broome Street Maternity Hospital, New York, until his 23rd year, when he established himself in practice in Pawtucket.  His office is at 33 North Union street. In politics he is a Republican, and is a member of the Free Baptist church. He is a member of the Good Samaritan Lodge, I. O. O. F., Eureka Lodge, No. 5, K. of P., is an associate member of Tower Post, No. 17, G. A. R., and surgeon general of the Uniform Rank of the Sons of St. George of the United States, with the rank of brigadier general.  He was married to Anna F. Olney of North Providence, Aug. 18, 1892.

p. 365 - 366:

LANG, Hans, the first child of Johann and Magdalane Lang, was born in Bavaria, Germany, Aug. 23, 1869.  He attended school in his native country until he was 14 years old, when he learned to be a cook.  In 1885 he came to America and settled in Pawtucket.  Since 1894 he has been a partner in the firm of Henry Krahl & Co., proprietors of the Opera House Cafe, 14 Broad street.  He is a member of the Theodore Koerner Lodge, D. O. H.  His father is still living in Germany, but his mother is dead.

p. 366:

LEACH, Charles Alanson, son of George W. and Abbie A. (Fisher) Leach, was born in Providence, R. I., May 15, 1857.  He spent his boyhood on a farm and attended the district school at Scituate, R. I., and took a two years' course at the North Scituate Lapham Institute.  When 16 years old he went to work on a farm during the summer months, worked for the Bridge Mill Cotton Co., at Saundersville, during the winters, and learned the business.  He then went to Minnesota, engaged in farming and remained two years. Returning to the east he again worked at the Bridge mill and later at the Berkeley mills.  From there he went to the Wamsutta mills, New Bedford, and for four years was an overseer of frame spinning.  Three years later he went as overseer to the Victor Manufacturing Co., at Saratoga, N. Y.  In 1893 he came to Pawtucket and engaged with the United States Cotton Co. as overseer of the Hope Thread Mills, which position he now holds.  In politics he is a Republican.  He belongs to the I. O. O. F. of New Bedford.  He was married Dec. 17, 1886, to Hattie Stuart of Machias, Me.

p. 366 - 367:

LEE, Charles Arnold, was born in the village of Pawtucket, town of North Providence, R. I., Dec. 14, 1845.  On the paternal side he is descended from Richard Lee, who settled the southerly part of Rehoboth some time between 1690 and 1700.  Joseph, a son of Richard, was one of the earliest settlers of the northwesterly portion of Rehoboth, now Cumberland, R.I.  His son Joseph was a physician and surgeon, and served  under Gen Washington in the revolutionary war.  Dr. Joseph Lee's son, Alfred B. Lee, a well-known school teacher, was the father of Nehemiah W. Lee, the father of Charles A. Nehemiah Lee established the business of coppersmith and brass-founder in Pawtucket in 1843, and so continued for a period of thirty years.  On his mother's side Mr. Lee is descended from the Taft family of Mendon, Mass., and the Thayer family of Uxbridge, his mother being the daughter of Arnold and Nancy (Thayer) Taft of East Douglas, Mass.  His earliest education was acquired at the 'Jones-School', kept by two maiden sisters in the Capt. Eleazer Jenks house that stood on the present site of Cole's block on Main street.  Here he attended from the age of four until he was eleven, when he entered the Church Hill grammar school under the late John H. Willard.  He remained there until June, 1859, when his parents removed to Cumberland. From Aug. 20, 1860, to Nov. 13, 1863, he attended the Lonsdale high school, then under the efficient charge of Joseph M. Ross, now an attorney at Springfield, Mass.

In the fall of 1863 his parents returned to Pawtucket, and on Nov. 30th of that year he entered the office of the Gazette and Chronicle as a nominal apprentice.  During his school days at Lonsdale he had become the possessor of several small fonts of type and a rude amateur press, with which he printed a monthly paper called 'The Register', and a variety of jobs. Unassisted he learned to set type, and when he entered the Gazette and Chronicle office he had a fairly good idea of composition.  He remained in the office until July, 1865.  In September of the same year he went to work for E. L. Freeman at Central Falls, where he acquired an enviable reputation as a pressman.  He remained in Mr. Freeman's office until Feb. 5, 1870, when he returned to the Gazette and Chronicle office.  April 1, 1875, he purchased a quarter interest in the concern from Mr. Nickerson, and three years later bought Mr. Nickerson's entire interest.  From that date he was associated with John S. Sibley in the printing and publishing business.  On Mr. Sibley's death, which occurred Sept. 13, 1883, he carried on the business alone until Jan. 1, 1894, when Lester W. Upham was taken into partnership.  Mr. Lee has been the editor of the paper since April 1, 1878. From 1870 to 1875 he was the Pawtucket and Central Falls correspondent of the Providence Press and Star.

He is a charter member of Eureka Lodge, No. 5, Knights of Pythias, which he joined in March, 1871, and was its second Chancellor Commander.  He was Grand Chancellor in 1875 and 1876, and since 1877 has been a Represenative to the Supreme Lodge, his term of continuous service making him the oldest member of that body.  He is also a member of the Uniform Rank and the Endowment Rank of the Knights of Pythias.  He is a member of the American Legion of Honor, New England Order of Protection and the American Benefit Society.  He belongs to the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, the Universalist Club of Boston, the Rhode Island Universalist Club, the Rehoboth, Seekonk, Pawtucket and East Providence Detecting Society, and is an associate member of Tower Post, No. 17, G. A. R.  In 1880 and 1881 he was elected on the Republican ticket as a representative to the General Assembly.  He has been secretaary and treasurer of the Rhode Island Press Association since its organization in 1879.  In 1875 he was elected an honorary member of the New Hampshire Press Association.  In 1884 he was elected a member of the Surburban Press Association of New England.  The following year he was elected its president, and served in that capacity until April, 1888.  At Detroit, Mich., in August, 1889, he was elected president of the National Editorial Association, and presided at its convention in 1890, which was held in the State House in Boston.  In April, 1885, he started the Evening Chronicle, the first daily newspaper printed and published in Pawtucket.  As a writer and speaker he is not unfavorably known.  In politics he is a Republican.  Jan. 13, 1869, he was married to Miss Phebe S. Wright of Smithfield, (now Lincoln), R. I.  They have no children living.

p. 367:

LEE, Stephen, the oldest dentist in Pawtucket, was born in Burrillville, R. I., April 28, 1822.  His parents were Goerge W. and Phebe (Walden) Lee, and his father was a farmer and school teacher in Burrillville.  Stephen attended the district schools until he was 16 years old, when he began to work on his grandfather's farm.  He then learned the trade of a machinist, and worked as a journeyman for 15 years, seven of which he was a spindle maker at Harrisville and Laurel Hill, in Burrillville.  He also worked for Thomas J. Hill, of Providence, and James S. Brown, Pawtucket.  In 1854 he went West and carried on a farm for two years.  He then learned the art of denistry and began the practice of his profession in Central Falls in 1856. In 1862 he came to Pawtucket, and at the present time has dental parlors at 178 Main street.  His professional career has thus covered a period of over 40 years.  In politics he is a Republican, but has voted against license for many years.  He attends the Bapist church.  In 1842 he was married to Elizabeth Pearce, by which union there are four children:  Nelson, Marion, Lucy and Stephen, Jr.  The latter is associated in business with his father. The Lee family originated in England and the founder, Stephen's great-grandfather came to this country in 1850.

p. 367 - 368:

LeFAVOUR, David, for many years one of the prominent business men of Pawtucket, was born in Marblehead, Mass., Nov. 1, 1799, and died in Pawtucket, R. I., March 20, 1879.  For more than fifty years he was engaged in the manufacture and sale of boots and shoes in company with Niles Spencer, under the firm name of Spencer & LeFavour.  The business was carried on in the LeFavour block, which was erected in 1813 on the corner of High and Main streets and continued in existence until High street was widened in 1890, when it was replaced by the present Le Favour block.

After Mr. Spencer's death, which occured in the 60's, Mr. LeFavour carried on the store alone until he retired from active business in 1872.  He was a man of striking character, a thorough gentleman in his manner, and was possessed of great executive ability.  He was one of the organizers and a constant supporter of St. Paul's Episcopal church and by his will he bequeathed a rectory to the church and also a sum of money.

He was married to Mary Ann Baldwin, Nov. 1, 1824.  She was b. in Brimfield, Mass., Nov. 30, 1798, and d. in Pawtucket, Jan. 10, 1879.  They had five children:  Edward, b. May 4, 1824, d. at Detroit, Mich., March 27, 1874; Horace, b. Jan. 5, 1830, d. July 27, 1832; Mary, b. April 22, 1833, d. Aug. 28, 1857; Heber, b. May 3, 1837, d. Feb. 25, 1878, as the result of being thrown from his carriage on East avenue, Pawtucket; Latimer, b. July 28, 1841, d. at Jacksonville, Florida, March 2, 1870.

Heber LeFavour the third son, acquired fame during the war of the rebellion. He enlisted, April 16, 1861, as a private in Company A, 1st Michigan Regiment, and returned home at the close of the war as colonel, with the brevet title of brigadier general.  He was one of the original members of Tower Post, G. A. R., and was its first commander.  At the time of his death he was adjutant general of Rhode Island.  He was in business with Frank R. Almy in the manufacture of leather and was interested in the Hope Machine Co., of Providence.

Edward LeFavour, the oldest son of David, was married to Mary, only daughter of John B. Read, and they had one son, John Edward LeFavour, who is now the manager and trustee of the Read and LeFavour estates, with an office at 175 Main street.

p. 368:

LEMLEY, David B., was born at Waynesburg, Penn., in 1849.  After attending the public schools he entered the Waynesburg College, where he prosecuted his studies for two years.  He then engaged in farming in Illinois, but finding this occupation uncongenial he came to Saylesville in 1872 and engaged with W. F. & F. C. Sayles at the bleaching and dye works.  He perfected himself in this business and in 1883 was appointed foreman of the tentering and finishing departments in the new bleachery, which position he now fills.  Mr. Lemley is a member of the Odd Fellows.  In politics he is an independent.  He was married to Julia Hersey of Lincoln in 1885, by where union there are two children.

p. 368:

LENNON, Bernard T., was born in Pawtucket, then a part of Massachusetts, Feb. 21, 1859.  He was educated in the old St. Mary's parochial school and the public grammar and high schools.  When 14 years old he entered the employ of the Union Wadding Co. as clerk.  In 1876 he entered the employ of the Providence and Worcester and the Boston and Providence railroads as clerk in the freight and ticket offices.  In 1879 he went with the wholesale grocery house of Henry L. Parsons, Providence, and represented that firm as traveling salesman for 10 years, when he joined his brother John F. in the wholesale flour and feed business, with main offices at Providence and branches in Boston and Portland.  He is a charter member of the Pawtucket Baking Co., and also a director and secretary of the concern.  He was one of the organizers of the Post Publishing Co., and was its managing director and secretary when the Post was an independent Democratic newspaper in its policy.

Mr. Lennon is a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association and the Pawtucket Veteran Firemen's Association.  He represented the second ward in the common council in 1889 and 1890, and was a member of most of the important committees, and chairman of a number.  He was a member as well as auditor of the joint standing committee under whose direction the successful celebration of the Cotton Centenary was held in 1890.  June 8, 1887, he was married to Nellie F., daughter of William P. Moroney of Pawtucket, and they have had five children born to them:  William, b. March 25, 1888; Mary, b. March 14, 1890; Katherine, b. April 16, 1892; Harold, b. May 28, 1894; John, b. June 22, 1896.

p. 368 - 369:

LENNON, Peter, was born in the County Monaghan, Ireland, Feb. 3, 1853, and is the fifth child of John and Elizabeth (Molloy) Lennon.  His father was famed as a breeder of fine horses and was a successful farmer.  Peter attended the national schools and worked on his father's farm.  In 1871 he emigrated to America, coming direct to Pawtucket, where he worked at the leather business until 1873, when he entered the store of John Cregnan who sold groceries and farming tools.  Pierce & Larkin succeeded Mr. Cregnan. Mr. Lennon purchased the Larkin interest and the business was carred on as Pierce & Lennon until 1883, when Mr. Lennon bought Mr. Pierce's interest and has since conducted the business alone at his present location, 56 and 60 North Main street.  Mr. Lennon is a Democrat, and from 1890 to 1894 was a member of the city council from the second ward.  He is a member of the Knights of Columbus, the Ancient Order of Hiberians, and attends the Catholic church.  May 6, 1878, he was married to Margaret Wolfden, by which union there are seven children:  Esther, John, Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Benjamin, Henry and Ruth.

p. 369:

LEONARD, Henry, son of Henry and Jane (Cateley) Leonard, was born on his father's farm in County Tyrone, Ireland.  After attending the national schools, he learned the trade of a carpenter and worked at it in Ireland. In 1855 he came to America and located in Lonsdale, where he was engaged as a carpenter by the Lonsdale Co., and held this position until 1867.  He then worked for W. F. & F. C. Sayles, building the new bleacheries.  Afterwards he opened a store on his own premises on Titus street, Valley Falls.  Mr. Leonard prospered and now owns nine buildings in Valley Falls and has occupied his present house over 29 years.  In politics he is a Republican. He was married to Jane McVey, in Ireland, in 1853, and to them have been born seven children, all of whom died.  Mrs. Leonard died in July, 1896.

illustration on page 369: photo, Henry Leonard, Valley Falls.

p. 369:

LESLIE, Alexander, was born in County Down, Ireland, July 3, 1852.  He attended the national schools until his 14th year when he went to work in the Greenvale Bleach Works, where he remained seven years and learned the business.  He then became superintendent of the bleachery at Larne, County Antrim.  In Sept., 1873, he came to America and located at Saylesville, and in 1880 was appointed superintendent of the fancy goods department at the new Sayles bleaching and dyeing works, which position he now occupies.  In politics he is a Republican.  He is a member of the town committee and of the board of assessors.  He belongs to the Free Masons, the Odd Fellows, and A. O. U. W.; is president of the Saylesville Fire Association and president of the Free Library Association.  In 1881 he was married to Margaret Robinson, and they have one child, Annie Edith Owen, b. Jan. 23, 1892.

p. 369 - 370:

LEWIS, Enoch, son of Enoch and Ruth Brownell (Sisson) Lewis, was born Jan. 25, 1839, at Middletown, R. I.  He attended the public schools in Providence until his 16th year, when he went into the Wardwell & Barstow stove foundry and learned the moulder's trade, at which he worked as a journeyman in Providence, in Norton, Mass., and with the Rhode Island Stove works in Pawtucket.  He became a member of the police force when Hiram Howard was chief, while Pawtucket was in the town of North Providence, and later was elected by the council as sergeant and as acting chief from 6 P.M. to 6 A.M., which position he held for six years.  In 1881 he formed a partnership with Frank Gurry under the name of Lewis & Gurry in the general tobacco, cigar and restaurant business, on Main street, near Pawtucket avenue.  The business prospered.  The firm had to find larger quarters and leased the entire building, corner Main and High streets, which formerly was Samuel Slater's residence.  These premises were completely remodelled into two attractive stores.  There the trade increased rapidly and at present they are the leading tobacconists and cigar dealers in Pawtucket and are state agents for the F. F. Follett & Son Co., cigars, agents for the Jacob Stahl cigars, and carry a line of high grade goods unsurpassed in New England. Mr. Lewis is a charter member of Eureka Lodge, K. of P.  In politics he is a Republican.  His father, grandfather, and great-grandfather all bore the name Enoch, and the family resided in Wakefield, R. I., for generations.

p. 370:

LISABELLE, Thomas, manager of the Star Collecting Agency, 51 Dexter street, Pawtucket, son of Thomas and Philomene Lisabelle, was born July 7, 1858, at St. Michel, Archange, P. Q., Canada.  His parents moved to Laprairie, P. Q., where he attended school.  His first employment was with Andrew Esinhart, who kept a general store.  In 1873 he went to Montreal and was employed by William Reed, custom house broker.  Six years later he was admitted into partnership, the firm name being William Reed & Co.  In 1882 he formed a copartnership with Julien Brosseau under the name of Brosseau & Lisabelle, custom house brokers.  This firm was dissolved in 1885.  The succeeding two years he spent in travel, visiting Central and South America.  In 1887 he was again located in Montreal and in 1888 he went to New York City and was employed by T. S. Todd & Co., custom house brokers and forwarding agents. In 1890 he joined with one Laduke, and operated a real estate office at Holyoke, Mass., under the firm name of Laduke & Lisabelle.  In 1893 he came to Pawtucket and opened the collecting agency of which he is now the resident manager.

p. 370:

LITTLE, John W., was born in 1862 at Whitinsville, Mass., and went to school there and at Pawtucket until he was 14 years old. He then began to learn the trade of a printer with E. L. Freeman & Co., where he served a three years' apprenticeship, and then worked five years as a journeyman.  At the end of that period he started a printing office in the A. M. Read building, Main street, Pawtucket.  He has steadily built up a good business. In 1890, on account of the increase in the work, he was obliged to move into much larger quarters in the Record building, 330 Main street, where his office is at present located.  The establishment now contains one of the best printing plants in the community and with its modern presses, and a large assortment of the latest type faces can turn out any description of printing from a large book to a small card.  The business is carried on under the name of John W. Little & Co., and the motto of the firm is 'We print for all'.  Mr. Little is wideawake and energetic and devotes his entire time to the business.  A specialty is made of high-class commercial and artistic work.  For the past seven years the firm has done all the printing for the city of Pawtucket.  Mr. Little is a Republican, has served on the city committee, and has been an earnest party worker.  He is a 32d degree Mason, is Past Master of Union Lodge, No. 10, A. F. and A. M., Past High Priest Pawtucket Royal Arch Chapter, and belongs to Holy Sepulchre Commandery, Knights Templars, the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine and to Enterprise Lodge, I. O. O. F.  He is a member of Park Place Congregational church.  He was married in 1885 to Lillias M. Knox of Pawtucket, and they have four children:  Stewart, Agnes E., Lester K., John W., Jr., all born in Pawtucket.

p. 372 - 373:

LITTLEFIELD, Alfred Henry, governor of Rhode Island from 1880 to 1883, was born in Scituate, R. I., April 2, 1829.  He was descended from Edmund Littlefield, who was born in Tichfield, England, in 1592, came to Boston, Mass., in 1637, and ultimately settled at Wells, Me., where he died in 1661. Governor Littlefield's line of descent is as follows:  Francis, b. England, 1619, d. Wells, Me., 1712; Caleb, b. Wells, Me., 1653; Nathaniel, b. Block Island, 1694, represented New Shoreham in the General Assembly in 1738, 1740, 1746, 1748 and 1754; Nathaniel, b. Block Island, 1735, was a member of the General Assembly in 1758 and 1762; John, b. Block Island, 1773; John, b. South Kingstown, 1798.  The latter married Deborah Himes, March 11, 1816, by which union there were eleven children.

In 1831 Alfred's parents removed to Natick, and there he attended the village school until the spring of 1837, after which he was employed in the Sprague mills until the fall of 1844, when he again attended school for six months, and in May 1745 began his business life as a clerk in a dry goods store at Central Falls.  At the age of 22 he united in partnership with his brother George, under the firm name of Littlefield Brothers, dealers in dry goods, at Pawtucket.  In 1852 he and his brother, with David Ryder, under the firm name of David Ryder & Co., began the manufacture of cotton thread and yarn.  Upon the retirement of David Ryder in 1857 the firm name was changed to Littlefield Brothers, and on July 1, 1889, Alfred H. purchased the interest of his brother, and the business was incorporated as the Littlefield Manufacturing Co., of which corporation he was president until his death, Dec. 21, 1893.

Mr. Littlefield was originally a Whig, but upon the formation of the Republican party he united with it and continued in that political faith until the end of his life.  In 1873, after Lincoln had been set off from the old town of Smithfield, he was elected a member of the town council four times and afterwards declined all nominations for town offices, except that of moderator at the financial meetings.  He represented Lincoln in the lower house of the General Assembly in 1876 and 1877 and as senator in 1878 and 1879, and was elected governor of the state in 1880, 1881, and 1882.  He was quartermaster in the Pawtucket Light Guard, a coprs distinguished among the chartered military companies of Rhode Island and afterwards known as Company E, Rhode Island Detached Militia, forming a part of the First Rhode Island regiment under Colonel, afterwards Major General Burnside.  When the war of the rebellion came on he was a staunch and loyal supporter of the Union cause and assisted materially in raising and equipping troops for the different regiments as they were called for from time to time to take the field for the preservation of the Union.  In 1864 he was division inspector with the rank of colonel, on the staff of Major General Olney Arnold, which position he held five years.  He was an honorary member of the First and Second Rhode Island Regiments Veteran Associations; Slocum Post, No. 10, G. A. R.; and the Soldiers and Sailors Historical Society.

In his business career Governor Littlefield was very successful.  He ranked high as a manufacturer.  He was one of the incorporators of the Pawtucket Hair Cloth Co., and director from its organization; was a director in the Peoples Bank, North Providence, afterwards the First National Bank, Pawtucket; in the Pawtucket Gas Co., the Royal Weaving Co., the Cumberland Mills Co., the Pawtucket Street Railway Co., of which he was vice-president; was trustee of the Providence County Savings Bank; and was interested in various other enterprises and corporations.  He was a member of the Pawtucket Business Men's Association, of the Patria Club, Rhode Island Historical Society, Providence Commerial Club, and other social organizations.

Feb. 9, 1853, he was married to Rebecca Jane Northup of Central Falls and from this union four children were born, two of whom died in childhood, and Eben N. and Alfred H., Jr. are living and succeeding to their father's business.  In his private and public career he earned the esteem of all with whom he came in contact and on his death he was mourned as an exemplary citizen and loyal friend.

The following testimony of a personal friend who was a life-long business associate, presents the character and career of Governor Littlefield, in a succinct, modest and graphic manner:

'A childhood of toil, and a young manhood of intense industry and enforced economy, inevitably gave color to the incidents of his after life.  When his circumstances permitted exemption from intense toil, his recreation was in study rather than in play.  His self-acquired education was extremely practical, but it was such as admirably equipped him for the many positions of responsibility and trust to which he was called.  His political record is free from every round of suspicion that he ever compromised with conscience for the sake of personal success.  Among the many honored men who have graced the gubernatorial chair of Rhode Island, none outrank  Alfred H. Littlefield in a record of unselfish devotion to the absolute duty of the office, even when its performance might not elicit popular applause.  Rhode Island's best citizens of all parties, and from all parts of the State, will bear witness to the official industry, the high honor, and intelligent action of Governor Littlefield.' 

p. 373 - 374:

LITTLEFIELD, Daniel Greene, was born in North Kingstown, R. I., Nov. 23, 1822, and was the third son of John and Deborah (Himes) Littlefield, who had a family of eleven children.  The first ancestor of the family in America was Edmund Littlefield, an Englishman, who came to Boston in 1637, and two of whom descendants, Caleb and Nathaniel, settled on Block Island in 1721. The Littlefields have always been numerous and prominent in Block Island and in Southern Rhode Island.  Daniel G. Littlefield's father was born in South Kingstown, July 15, 1798, and his mother at North Kingstown, March 30, the same year, and they were married March 11, 1816.  They removed to Scituate, R. I., about 1828, and there Daniel, at the age of eight, went to work in the Jackson cotton mill, which was one of the first factories started in Pawtuxet valley.  From that early age until he reached manhood he worked in cotton and woolen mills and machine shops, and advanced through all grades from bobbin boy to superintendent.

In 1846 he assisted in starting a cotton mill in the village of Florence, in the town of Northampton, Mass.  For two years he was in the dry goods business at Northampton Centre, but fire destroyed his store and he then assisted in establishing a cotton mill at Haydenville which he managed for two years. Closing his engagement in the mill he started at Haydenville in company with his brothers George L. and Alfred H., a country variety store, but sold out in a short time.  He then became salesman and agent for the cotton mill of Hayden & Sanders, disposing of the goods in New York, and elsewhere.  Returning to Florence in 1856 he engaged in the manufacture of daguerrotype cases and sewing machines, and became president of the Florence Sewing Machine Co.  He remained in Florence until 1863.  In 1861 and 1862 he represented Northampton in the Massachusetts legislature.

At the solicitation of his brothers and several prominent manufacturers and capitalists, Mr. Littlefield came to Pawtucket in 1863 and assumed charge of the Pawtucket Hair Cloth Co.  The large mill at Central Falls was built and all the machinery set up under his direction.  Although he had only intended to remain a year in Pawtucket, as he had large business interest in Florence and elsewhere, the prosperity of the new company under his management was so great that he finally concluded to remain permanently.  His subsequent life was chiefly identified with the development of industries in his new home, and by his inventive genius, his mechanical skill and his business ability, he contributed greatly to the success of many enterprises.

In 1865 he went to Europe in the interest of the Hair Cloth Co., and made similar trips in 1866, 1868, 1871 and 1872, visiting all the principal countries of Europe, and making a long sojourn in Southern Russia at the great horse hair market of the world.  Each time he returned with valuable information which enabled the company to greatly increase its business.  In 1878 he was honorary commissioner from Rhode Island to the Paris Exposition, and served as juror on small and fine machinery.  In politics Mr. Littlefield was originally a Whig, but he became a Republican at the time of the formation of that party.  He was elected by the General Assembly lieutenant governor of Rhode Island in 1889, and served for one year.  He died May 31, 1891, universally respected, full of years and honors.  At the time of his death he was president of the Providence County Savings Bank; the Pawtucket Hair Cloth Co.; the Royal Weaving Co., the building and machinery of which had been erected under his direct supervison; the J. M. Carpenter Tap & Die Co.; the Cumberland Mills Co.; the James Davis Belting Co.; the Florence Manufacturing Co., and the Florence Machine Co., of Florence, Massachusetts.

Mr. Littlefield was twice married, and his second wife and a son and daughter survive him.  He was a member and a trustee of the Pawtucket Congregational Society and was a liberal provider for the support of the church and society.  His residence in Central Falls, corner of Broad and Central streets, was one of the finest mansions in the community.  In personal appearance Mr. Littlefield was a magnificent specimen of manhood. He was more than six feet in height, of massive figure, but not corpulent. He was, notwithstanding his eminent business success, a modest, unassuming, approachable man, kindly and considerate.

p. 374 - 375:

LITTLEFIELD, Nathan Whitman, attorney-at-law, Providence, was born in East Bridgewater, Mass., May 21, 1846, and is the son of Rufus Ames and Abigail Russell (Whitman) Littlefield.  He is a lineal descendant of Edmund Littlefield, who came to this country from Tichfield, England, in 1636, and soon after settled at Wells, Me., where he built the first mill in that region, and from whom are descended nearly if not quite all of that name in New England.  The father of Nathan W. was for many years a successful teacher in the schools of East Bridgewater and neighboring towns and is of the blood of Miles Standish, and his mother is a descendant of John and Priscilla Alden.

Nathan W. was educated in the common schools of his native town, at Bridgewater Academy, and at Phillip's Academy, Andover, Mass., from which he was graduated in 186x [note- last digit of date obscured].  The same year he entered Dartmouth College, from which he was graduated in 1869, the centennial year of the college, with the highest honors, and was valedictorian of his class.  He was one of the foremost athletes of the college during his course and an active member of Greek letter and open college societies, receiving the highest appointments at the public literary exhibitions of his class.  After graduating he entered upon education work for several years and was principal of the high school of Newport, R. I., and principal of the high school and superintendent of the schools of the village of Westerly, R. I.

His success as a teacher was marked, but he had from early days inclined to legal studies, and in 1874 resigned his position in Westerly to enter upon the work of preparation for his chosen profession; and in October, 1874, he entered the law school of Boston University, from which he was graduated in 1876.  Soon after he was admitted to the Boston bar, but entered upon the practice of the law at Providence in January, 1877.  His practice has been exclusively upon the civil side of the court, and largely in equity and probate cases and in the law of real estate, in which, from the beginning of his professional career, he has been engaged in some of the most important litigation which has come before the Rhode Island courts, both as regards the legal principles involved and the pecuniary interests at stake.  A recent case, involving the titles  to several large tracts of land taken by the city of Providence for park purposes, was one of the most intricate and difficult which ever came before the Supreme Court of Rhode Island, and resulted in the complete establishment of the titles of his client and an award of nearly a quarter of a million of dollars as damages.  In 1893 he was appointed a Standing Master in Chancery.  He is a member of several fraternal organizations, and of the Patria Club of Pawtucket, in which city he resides.  In politics he is a Democrat of the Jeffersonian school, and has been the candidate of his own party for representative and senator from Pawtucket.  He has always taken an active interest in the religious welfare of the places in which he has resided.

illustration on page 374: photo, Nathan W. Littlefield, Attorney-at-Law, Providence, R. I.


These documents are made available free to the public for non-commercial purposes by the Rhode Island USGenWeb Project. Transcribed 2001 by Beth Hurd
MailIf you have a (pre-1922) contribution from a Rhode Island book or newspaper you would like to share, please send me an e-mail with the publication title, author, and publisher. Thanks.